People That Think Low-Carb is Good For You are Wrong

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    opycha wrote: »
    Everyone that thinks a low-carb is good for you and will work in the long-term is wrong. You're pushing your bodies into an ill state called Ketosis. Your body runs off of carbs, I eat 600g of carbs a day with under 40g of protein and 20g of fats. This uninformative and lieing industry is telling us that meat, dairy, and eggs are good for us? That stuff is loaded with cholesterol and will end up hurting you in the long run. Eat a high carb, low fat, vegan/vegetarian (low dairy) diet and live life to the fullest.

I admire ethical vegans and have a lot of respect for them. However, the ones I admire the most aren't all in-your-face about it. You'll have more success getting your point across with a different approach.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    What would you like insight on? I'm actually serious too, people are so uninformed about the fitness and nutrition industry.

You're 19. Exactly how much experience in the industry do you have? Genuine question.

Still waiting for a response...

Oh wow, you're older than me and can point out my age! I bet you have a lot more experience than I do!

Age is generally relevant to life experience yaknow

As the OP is proving - more and more with each post.

He just wants attention - like any other troll, ignore him and he'll go away.

Aww can't I play with him some more? @anvilhead

I promise I won't break him ;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    What would you like insight on? I'm actually serious too, people are so uninformed about the fitness and nutrition industry.

You're 19. Exactly how much experience in the industry do you have? Genuine question.

Oh wow, you're older than me and can point out my age! I bet you have a lot more experience than I do!

As the OP is proving - more and more with each post.

He just wants attention - like any other troll, ignore him and he'll go away.

Aww can't I play with him some more? @anvilhead

I promise I won't break him ;)

As you wish, playful wabbit! :D
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Oh look, another special snowflake...

X100000000000
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Why must we always be telling others what to eat?

I mean if those people want to physically harm themselves through their diets, then so be it.

Eating a high carb, low fat, vegan/vegetarian (low dairy) diet in no way guarantees you won't be sick or overweight or can't live life to the fullest.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/mar/passionate.htm -- Plant carbs do not cause you to gain excess weight

If that were even remotely true, then I wouldn't know any fat/overweight/obese vegans.

But unfortunately, I know many obese people of those lifestyles.

Then they're lying and are eating things they aren't saying

So you're saying that if I ate 5,000 calories of vegetables per day, I wouldn't gain weight? Even though my TDEE is around 2,000 calories per day?

Go for it! I bet you'll feel alot better!

No, I wouldn't feel better. I would be obese.

My bad, eating a ton of veggies is so bad for you! Go back to eating your saturated fatty foods!

Do you have a peer reviewed study that states you can eat in a caloric surplus and not gain weight?

Also, how do all of these non-HCLF people lose weight if we're all doomed to be fat forever?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7598063

That doesn't say what you think it says.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited January 2016

I mean if those people want to physically harm themselves through their diets, then so be it.

Eating a high carb, low fat, vegan/vegetarian (low dairy) diet in no way guarantees you won't be sick or overweight or can't live life to the fullest.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/mar/passionate.htm -- Plant carbs do not cause you to gain excess weight

If that were even remotely true, then I wouldn't know any fat/overweight/obese vegans.

So you're saying that if I ate 5,000 calories of vegetables per day, I wouldn't gain weight? Even though my TDEE is around 2,000 calories per day?

My bad, eating a ton of veggies is so bad for you! Go back to eating your saturated fatty foods!

Do you have a peer reviewed study that states you can eat in a caloric surplus and not gain weight?

Also, how do all of these non-HCLF people lose weight if we're all doomed to be fat forever?

FTA

Carbohydrate overfeeding produced progressive increases in carbohydrate oxidation and total energy expenditure resulting in 75-85% of excess energy being stored.

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member

But unfortunately, you usually have to be a certain age to know that....
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Anything in a caloric excess will cause one to gain weight. Fact. I can't eat 3000 calories a day of just fruits and vegetables and think that because it is plant based that I won't gain weight.

Two, ketosis is not hurtful in the short term or the long term, unless someone has an underlying condition like liver or kidney failure.

Also, how about you do you and let other people worry about what and how they fill their own plates. Just some friendly advice.

Eating meat isn't a personal choice so I wont let "them do them".

Huh? <scratches head>

A personal choice isn't a personal choice when it comes at the expense of someone else.

Unless you're talkin' cannibalism, I have no idea what you're on about.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Everyone that thinks a low-carb is good for you and will work in the long-term is wrong. You're pushing your bodies into an ill state called Ketosis. Your body runs off of carbs, I eat 600g of carbs a day with under 40g of protein and 20g of fats. This uninformative and lieing industry is telling us that meat, dairy, and eggs are good for us? That stuff is loaded with cholesterol and will end up hurting you in the long run. Eat a high carb, low fat, vegan/vegetarian (low dairy) diet and live life to the fullest.

I lived that diet for six years and now I have Hashimoto's. And high cholesterol.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    In it for entertainment!

This is not going to end well... "face palm"
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Anything in a caloric excess will cause one to gain weight. Fact. I can't eat 3000 calories a day of just fruits and vegetables and think that because it is plant based that I won't gain weight.

Two, ketosis is not hurtful in the short term or the long term, unless someone has an underlying condition like liver or kidney failure.

Also, how about you do you and let other people worry about what and how they fill their own plates. Just some friendly advice.

Eating meat isn't a personal choice so I wont let "them do them".

Huh? <scratches head>

A personal choice isn't a personal choice when it comes at the expense of someone else.

Unless you're talkin' cannibalism, I have no idea what you're on about.

I believe he is an ethical vegan and is opposed to exploiting animals.
  • hmontigney
    hmontigney Posts: 56 Member
    I wish they had a cheeseburger emoji for a situation like this. I eat meat. Sorry, not sorry. That's really all he's concerned with. Sure, it's high in fat. It MAY lead to heart disease in the future. I also MAY get cancer, diabetes or have a heart attack. *kitten* happens.

Your life choice doesn't have to be my life choice. Accept it and get over it.
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member

Ah, to be 19 and know everything again.

I think you're confusing ketosis with ketoacidosis.

But on with the show:
    Cite your sources. Because as written, it's just your unsubstantiated opinion.

As noted by the Mayo Clinic, "low-carb diets may help prevent or improve serious health conditions, such as metabolic syndrome, diabetes, high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease."(http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/low-carb-diet/art-20045831?pg=2)

As documented by the Cleveland Clinic, "The ketogenic diet is a way of treating patients with poorly controlled epilepsy." (http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Epilepsy_Frequently_Asked_Questions/hic_Introduction_to_the_Ketogenic_Diet)

And WebMD reports "Some research suggests that ketogenic diets can help lower your risk of heart disease. Other studies show specific very-low-carb diets help people with metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes. Researchers are also studying the effects of these diets on acne, cancer, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), and nervous system diseases like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and Lou Gehrig's disease."(http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-1-diabetes-guide/what-is-ketosis)

MRUabYf.gif

Funny because meat is more insulin resistant than carbs.. Also, http://www.andjrnl.org/article/S0002-8223(09)00452-0/abstract -- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22850317 -- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11108325 -- Cite some studies instead of just using WebMD lmao
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member

That doesn't say what you think it says.

LOL. This is what happens when somebody with an agenda tries to interpret a scientific study. In a caloric excess, 75-85% of excess calories were still stored as fat on the high carb diet. Translation: if you overeat, you get fat - it doesn't matter what the diet composition is.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member

That's not what that study suggests....
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Here is your problem SIR- Your body can use Carbs, protein, fat even alcohol (alcohol converts differently) for energy it converts them to Glycogen then glucose and you have about a 90 min window (already stored in your body) till you would actually need "Carbs"
    to supply an emergency quick conversion of energy for say a marathon..
  • OMP33

You can lose weight on any diet as long as you have a calorie deficit.

And you can be healthy on any diet.

If that wasn't true, than I would question how my family has lived into their upper 90's (and still kicking) on a meat and potatoes diet.

People have lost weight on a twinkies diet. Calorie deficit is what they did though, it doesn't have to be healthy.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member

Hardly a vegetable has past your lips according to your diary since you started it on the 6th so I don't get your point.
    You can't try to shame others for what they eat when you don't even eat what you are trying to push!
  • OMP33

That's not what that study suggests....

Just showing that when overfed, people gain more weight with fats than carbs!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member

Well, considering I lost 90lbs, then had a child, then lost 65lbs, all in a reasonable time frame and without consideration for avoiding carbs, I'd say you're right.
    ETA - right about me having more experience....

kelso-burn-o.gif
This discussion has been closed.