People That Think Low-Carb is Good For You are Wrong

Replies

• OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Anything in a caloric excess will cause one to gain weight. Fact. I can't eat 3000 calories a day of just fruits and vegetables and think that because it is plant based that I won't gain weight.

Two, ketosis is not hurtful in the short term or the long term, unless someone has an underlying condition like liver or kidney failure.

Also, how about you do you and let other people worry about what and how they fill their own plates. Just some friendly advice.

Eating meat isn't a personal choice so I wont let "them do them".
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    opycha wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Why must we always be telling others what to eat?

I mean if those people want to physically harm themselves through their diets, then so be it.

Eating a high carb, low fat, vegan/vegetarian (low dairy) diet in no way guarantees you won't be sick or overweight or can't live life to the fullest.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/mar/passionate.htm -- Plant carbs do not cause you to gain excess weight

If that were even remotely true, then I wouldn't know any fat/overweight/obese vegans.

But unfortunately, I know many obese people of those lifestyles.

Then they're lying and are eating things they aren't saying

So you're saying that if I ate 5,000 calories of vegetables per day, I wouldn't gain weight? Even though my TDEE is around 2,000 calories per day?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    I call Poe.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    But, I like fat. :) Appreciate what you are trying to do but I eat a diet rather high in fats, also rather high in carbs, and don't plan on changing that
  • OMP33
    Anything in a caloric excess will cause one to gain weight. Fact. I can't eat 3000 calories a day of just fruits and vegetables and think that because it is plant based that I won't gain weight.

Two, ketosis is not hurtful in the short term or the long term, unless someone has an underlying condition like liver or kidney failure.

Also, how about you do you and let other people worry about what and how they fill their own plates. Just some friendly advice.

High cholesterol from meat can lead to atherosclerosis, so yes, it does hurt in the long term --http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16270280
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member

Huh? <scratches head>
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member

That is your problem isn't it. Eating meat is a personal choice, but you want to infringe on the choices of others. Good luck with that.
  • OMP33
    Everyone that thinks a low-carb is good for you and will work in the long-term is wrong. You're pushing your bodies into an ill state called Ketosis. Your body runs off of carbs, I eat 600g of carbs a day with under 40g of protein and 20g of fats. This uninformative and lieing industry is telling us that meat, dairy, and eggs are good for us? That stuff is loaded with cholesterol and will end up hurting you in the long run. Eat a high carb, low fat, vegan/vegetarian (low dairy) diet and live life to the fullest.

Your body does not run off carbs. Your brain and other parts need glucose. Your body can make glucose from other foods.
    Dietary cholesterol is no longer seen as a concern in blood cholesterol levels.
    Fats and protein are essential to the human body where carbs aren't.

And I too love my carbs, plant based or other wise.

Yeah you're right, carbs are not important at as they provide us with the energy we need to survive and why we have carb-digestive enzymes in our mouth where we don't have protein or fat enzymes.
  • MaternalCopulator
    MaternalCopulator Posts: 125 Member
    Oh look, another special snowflake...
  • opycha wrote: »
    What would you like insight on? I'm actually serious too, people are so uninformed about the fitness and nutrition industry.

You're 19. Exactly how much experience in the industry do you have? Genuine question.

Still waiting for a response...
  • OMP33
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Why must we always be telling others what to eat?

I mean if those people want to physically harm themselves through their diets, then so be it.

Eating a high carb, low fat, vegan/vegetarian (low dairy) diet in no way guarantees you won't be sick or overweight or can't live life to the fullest.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/mar/passionate.htm -- Plant carbs do not cause you to gain excess weight

If that were even remotely true, then I wouldn't know any fat/overweight/obese vegans.

But unfortunately, I know many obese people of those lifestyles.

Then they're lying and are eating things they aren't saying

So you're saying that if I ate 5,000 calories of vegetables per day, I wouldn't gain weight? Even though my TDEE is around 2,000 calories per day?

Go for it! I bet you'll feel alot better!
  • OMP33
    cessi0909 wrote: »
    But, I like fat. :) Appreciate what you are trying to do but I eat a diet rather high in fats, also rather high in carbs, and don't plan on changing that

Welp, that will end up hurting in the long run!
  • OMP33

Huh? <scratches head>

A personal choice isn't a personal choice when it comes at the expense of someone else.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Bunch of moderators defending low carb and keto

Ya gotta laugh

:)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    You might actually want to understand nutrition prior to making all of these sweeping claims.
  • OMP33

That is your problem isn't it. Eating meat is a personal choice, but you want to infringe on the choices of others. Good luck with that.

A personal choice isn't a personal choice when it comes at the expense of someone else; thought I'd let you know :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I call Poe.

Edgar Allen?

How so @FunkyTobias
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Everyone that thinks a low-carb is good for you and will work in the long-term is wrong. You're pushing your bodies into an ill state called Ketosis. Your body runs off of carbs, I eat 600g of carbs a day with under 40g of protein and 20g of fats. This uninformative and lieing industry is telling us that meat, dairy, and eggs are good for us? That stuff is loaded with cholesterol and will end up hurting you in the long run. Eat a high carb, low fat, vegan/vegetarian (low dairy) diet and live life to the fullest.

We might want to tell the doctors who prescibe keto diets to patients that's it's harmful, in the long-term...
  • analemusr
    analemusr Posts: 4 Member
    To each his own!!!!
  • OMP33
    What would you like insight on? I'm actually serious too, people are so uninformed about the fitness and nutrition industry.

You're 19. Exactly how much experience in the industry do you have? Genuine question.

Still waiting for a response...

Oh wow, you're older than me and can point out my age! I bet you have a lot more experience than I do!
This discussion has been closed.