People That Think Low-Carb is Good For You are Wrong

Replies

• muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 116 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I personally think that sugar (carb) is much worse for you than fat. I've also read that ketoses isn't bad for you and it's how we as humans have survived thousands of years before the industrial revolution.

We certainly didn't typically live in ketosis before agriculture (which itself was long before the industrial revolution). Yes, hunting was important, but so was foraging - tubers such as yams, etc. would play a large role in ancient diets, and they are high carb.
    Some cultures and you're not getting 600 grams of carbs eating yams and greens. Fish and meat were the staple of most ancient cultures.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I personally think that sugar (carb) is much worse for you than fat. I've also read that ketoses isn't bad for you and it's how we as humans have survived thousands of years before the industrial revolution.

We certainly didn't typically live in ketosis before agriculture (which itself was long before the industrial revolution). Yes, hunting was important, but so was foraging - tubers such as yams, etc. would play a large role in ancient diets, and they are high carb.
    Some cultures and you're not getting 600 grams of carbs eating yams and greens. Fish and meat were the staple of most ancient cultures.

Even the inuit aren't ketogenic.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    I'm vegan and I eat high protein lower carb...and I'm losing weight and quite healthy. In fact, my doctor, who is a vegetarian, points out that vegans/vegetarians have to be careful not to eat too many carbs...you may want to talk to your doctor about this approach, OP. :smile:
  • alismommy1992
    alismommy1992 Posts: 72 Member
    Lmao what an idiot
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 212 Member
    Oof. Guys. Let this post die. We're just feeding the fire. Everyone has a different opinion on diet, exercise, and weight loss. Diet is almost as divisive a topic as religion.

At the end of the day, one huge truth is that the human digestive system is INCREDIBLY adaptable, and can digest a wide variety of foods - meat, vegetables, fruits, grains, dairy, fats - in almost ANY dietary combination. So, I'll raise a glass of [low-carb, fat-free, 0 cholesterol :p ] water to toast human survival skills, and leave it at that!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    opycha wrote: »
    Man, people will say anything to stand by their fats and meats. Read up on Dr. McDougall's studies and what he found with meat, dairy, and eggs. Higher Cholesterol will literally give you a higher chance in being diagnosed with heart disease. Meat, dairy, and eggs have high cholesterol, its facts.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1245349/

Abstract

One hundred and sixty eight subjects participated in a randomised crossover study to determine whether halving or doubling the present dietary cholesterol intake from eggs had any influence on blood cholesterol concentration in people following current dietary recommendations. During the first eight weeks all participants were advised to follow a reduced fat diet (26% total energy for hyperlipidaemic patients, 35% total energy for normolipidaemic volunteers) with an increased ratio of polyunsaturated to saturated fatty acids. This background diet was continued throughout the 16 week experimental period, during which participants ate either two or seven eggs a week. A small but significant increase in total cholesterol was seen after four weeks in the group eating seven eggs a week compared with that in the group eating two eggs a week, but this was no longer apparent after eight weeks. Previous studies suggesting that dietary cholesterol has a greater effect on the serum cholesterol concentration either have been carried out against a background of a higher fat intake or have contrasted extreme cholesterol intakes. A further reduction in dietary cholesterol seems to be unnecessary in those people who have already reduced their intake of saturated fat and increased the ratio of polyunsaturated to saturated fatty acids and fibre rich carbohydrate.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    LMAO. To the original post and many of the comments. What idiocy. Let everyone do themselves and choose what works for them. OR you can drive yourself insane by trying to force everyone to obey your beliefs. I won't argue with you by providing legitimate info that challenges your view because it's a waste of my time and when dealing with BELIEFS there's no way to get someone to consider information that goes against those beliefs.

At the very least though, the die hard "eating animals is evil" crowd really need to learn about the circle of life, nutrient cycle, ancestral human diets, et al and consider many recent studies that establish that plants also have behaviour, awareness, communication, strategies to prevent predation, etc. Omg, now what will you eat?! Better grow some chromosomes, but oops, you'll still need nutrients from living things that have died.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Geez... is this high-carb vegan movement like jehovah's witnesses or something? Like... *knock, knock* Excuse me, do you have a moment to talk about how eating 100 bananas a day is a good idea?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Man, people will say anything to stand by their fats and meats. Read up on Dr. McDougall's studies and what he found with meat, dairy, and eggs. Higher Cholesterol will literally give you a higher chance in being diagnosed with heart disease. Meat, dairy, and eggs have high cholesterol, its facts.
    There are studies which show how overconsumption of sugar may be bad for you depending on the population in said study. This is why I'm a believer in a balanced diet.

FIFY
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    edited January 2016
    People's diets are slowly killing them, oh well. Guess they'll find out in the long run.
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member

No one is arguing that eating a lot Bad Fats are bad for you. You are trying to convince everyone that eating High Carb is the only way to go and you are flat out wrong. I eat meat, dairy and eggs and my Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is 2. Yes 2!! What is yours? Blood work done in November.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Happy Friday!!!

Wait...what??? It's not Friday??

Then...just in for wizdum
  • OMP33
    DataSeven wrote: »
    Geez... is this high-carb vegan movement like jehovah's witnesses or something? Like... *knock, knock* Excuse me, do you have a moment to talk about how eating 100 bananas a day is a good idea?

When have I EVER said that eating 100 banana's is good for you.
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Anything in a caloric excess will cause one to gain weight. Fact. I can't eat 3000 calories a day of just fruits and vegetables and think that because it is plant based that I won't gain weight.

Two, ketosis is not hurtful in the short term or the long term, unless someone has an underlying condition like liver or kidney failure.

Also, how about you do you and let other people worry about what and how they fill their own plates. Just some friendly advice.

Eating meat isn't a personal choice so I wont let "them do them".

ok then. Good luck with that. You don't get to decide what people decide to eat or not. It's not up to you. This is not a dictatorship of some 19 year old who just got all over-excited when he decided to go vegan yesterday. All you are doing is becoming that stereotype (while being grossly misinformed) of those obnoxious vegetarians or vegans that people hate.

This said from the person who has been a vegetarian almost as long as you have been alive. Focus on your own plate kiddo.

^^^^THIS!!
  • LolBroScience
    People's diets are slowly killing them, oh well. Guess they'll find out in the long run.

News flash.... we are all dying.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member

Well that ruined my day...
  • OMP33

Just trying to prolong it bud.
  • LolBroScience

Just trying to prolong it bud.

Not your bud pal
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    I love it when people get all preachy and tell people what to do with their mouths. I like meaty things in my mouth.

tumblr_inline_n7jv83Gdbh1spte2w.gif

• opycha wrote: »

Lol I feel like that comment would have been much more effective had DataSeven had my username instead. Wait, never mind......
This discussion has been closed.