People That Think Low-Carb is Good For You are Wrong

Replies

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    edited January 2016
    opycha wrote: »
    Everyone that thinks a low-carb is good for you and will work in the long-term is wrong. You're pushing your bodies into an ill state called Ketosis. Your body runs off of carbs, I eat 600g of carbs a day with under 40g of protein and 20g of fats. This uninformative and lieing industry is telling us that meat, dairy, and eggs are good for us? That stuff is loaded with cholesterol and will end up hurting you in the long run. Eat a high carb, low fat, vegan/vegetarian (low dairy) diet and live life to the fullest.

Ah, to be 19 and know everything again.

I think you're confusing ketosis with ketoacidosis.

But on with the show:
    Cite your sources. Because as written, it's just your unsubstantiated opinion.

As noted by the Mayo Clinic, "low-carb diets may help prevent or improve serious health conditions, such as metabolic syndrome, diabetes, high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease."(http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/low-carb-diet/art-20045831?pg=2)

As documented by the Cleveland Clinic, "The ketogenic diet is a way of treating patients with poorly controlled epilepsy." (http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Epilepsy_Frequently_Asked_Questions/hic_Introduction_to_the_Ketogenic_Diet)

And WebMD reports "Some research suggests that ketogenic diets can help lower your risk of heart disease. Other studies show specific very-low-carb diets help people with metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes. Researchers are also studying the effects of these diets on acne, cancer, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), and nervous system diseases like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and Lou Gehrig's disease."(http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-1-diabetes-guide/what-is-ketosis)

MRUabYf.gif

Funny because meat is more insulin resistant than carbs.. Also,
    Page Not Found
    http://www.andjrnl.org/article/S0002-8223(09)00452-0/abstract --

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22850317 -- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11108325 -- Cite some studies instead of just using WebMD lmao

Mayo Clinic, and Cleveland Clinic above. I read those, your first link doesn't work, and the others don't lend themselves to your mission. You're targeting esoteric groups at best, troll. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    psulemon wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Why must we always be telling others what to eat?

I mean if those people want to physically harm themselves through their diets, then so be it.

Eating a high carb, low fat, vegan/vegetarian (low dairy) diet in no way guarantees you won't be sick or overweight or can't live life to the fullest.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/mar/passionate.htm -- Plant carbs do not cause you to gain excess weight

If that were even remotely true, then I wouldn't know any fat/overweight/obese vegans.

But unfortunately, I know many obese people of those lifestyles.

Then they're lying and are eating things they aren't saying

So you're saying that if I ate 5,000 calories of vegetables per day, I wouldn't gain weight? Even though my TDEE is around 2,000 calories per day?

Go for it! I bet you'll feel alot better!

No, I wouldn't feel better. I would be obese.

My bad, eating a ton of veggies is so bad for you! Go back to eating your saturated fatty foods!

Do you have a peer reviewed study that states you can eat in a caloric surplus and not gain weight?

Also, how do all of these non-HCLF people lose weight if we're all doomed to be fat forever?

You can lose weight on any diet as long as you have a calorie deficit.

And you can be healthy on any diet.

If that wasn't true, than I would question how my family has lived into their upper 90's (and still kicking) on a meat and potatoes diet.

People have lost weight on a twinkies diet. Calorie deficit is what they did though, it doesn't have to be healthy.

The explain how my family commonly lives into their 90's (late 90's that is) on a very heavy meat based diet?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited January 2016

I mean if those people want to physically harm themselves through their diets, then so be it.

Eating a high carb, low fat, vegan/vegetarian (low dairy) diet in no way guarantees you won't be sick or overweight or can't live life to the fullest.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/mar/passionate.htm -- Plant carbs do not cause you to gain excess weight

If that were even remotely true, then I wouldn't know any fat/overweight/obese vegans.

So you're saying that if I ate 5,000 calories of vegetables per day, I wouldn't gain weight? Even though my TDEE is around 2,000 calories per day?

My bad, eating a ton of veggies is so bad for you! Go back to eating your saturated fatty foods!

Do you have a peer reviewed study that states you can eat in a caloric surplus and not gain weight?

Also, how do all of these non-HCLF people lose weight if we're all doomed to be fat forever?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7598063

That's not what that study suggests....

Just showing that when overfed, people gain more weight with fats than carbs!

There are twice the amount of calories in a gram of fat. So yea, that makes sense.

However, your claim was eating in a caloric surplus and not gaining weight. Your pubmed copy/paste doesn't support that.
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member

FTA

Carbohydrate overfeeding produced progressive increases in carbohydrate oxidation and total energy expenditure resulting in 75-85% of excess energy being stored.

"Alternatively, fat overfeeding had minimal effects on fat oxidation and total energy expenditure, leading to storage of 90-95% of excess energy." Carbs > Fats
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016

nmafjnwzbxh5.jpg

Oh yeah and eggs are bad, bad, bad!!!!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Anything in a caloric excess will cause one to gain weight. Fact. I can't eat 3000 calories a day of just fruits and vegetables and think that because it is plant based that I won't gain weight.

Two, ketosis is not hurtful in the short term or the long term, unless someone has an underlying condition like liver or kidney failure.

Also, how about you do you and let other people worry about what and how they fill their own plates. Just some friendly advice.

Eating meat isn't a personal choice so I wont let "them do them".

Huh? <scratches head>

A personal choice isn't a personal choice when it comes at the expense of someone else.

Unless you're talkin' cannibalism, I have no idea what you're on about.

I believe he is an ethical vegan and is opposed to exploiting animals.

Animals aren't people. ;)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I eat low carb.high protein 50 lbs gone... And healthy as can be. And healthier then when I ate a high carb diet. I am also fuller longer and more satisfied then I was before and I have more energy which is saying something. Since I don't even.want to get out of bed.

I'm glad this works for you... But we ate.Not cookie cut images of one another
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Quoth the raven: "Thatsatroll."
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited January 2016

FTA

Carbohydrate overfeeding produced progressive increases in carbohydrate oxidation and total energy expenditure resulting in 75-85% of excess energy being stored.
    "Alternatively, fat overfeeding had minimal effects on fat oxidation and total energy expenditure, leading to storage of 90-95% of excess energy." Carbs > Fats

I like how you move the goalposts.

Perhaps you should reread the post you were responding to when you posted the link
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member

You can lose weight on any diet as long as you have a calorie deficit.

And you can be healthy on any diet.

If that wasn't true, than I would question how my family has lived into their upper 90's (and still kicking) on a meat and potatoes diet.

People have lost weight on a twinkies diet. Calorie deficit is what they did though, it doesn't have to be healthy.

The explain how my family commonly lives into their 90's (late 90's that is) on a very heavy meat based diet?
    I dare anyone try to pry the cheeseburger out of my 93 yr old mom's hands. :)
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    I eat low carb.high protein 50 lbs gone... And healthy as can be. And healthier then when I ate a high carb diet. I am also fuller longer and more satisfied then I was before and I have more energy which is saying something. Since I don't even.want to get out of bed.

I'm glad this works for you... But we ate.Not cookie cut images of one another

Again, I cite -- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11108325 -- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22850317
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    What would you like insight on? I'm actually serious too, people are so uninformed about the fitness and nutrition industry.

And you, sir, are their champion.
  • Magpiepies
    Magpiepies Posts: 3 Member
    The mistake you're making is saying that it's 'wrong'. It's not wrong. A low carb, high fat diet isn't wrong for Inuit people or the Sami people. A high carb, low fat diet isn't wrong for Japanese people. Everyone is different. I know people who thrive on being in ketosis, and others who can't do it at all. There isn't a cookie cutter solution for everyone and it honestly depends on what your goals are.
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member

That's not what that study suggests....

Just showing that when overfed, people gain more weight with fats than carbs!

This is NOT, in any what you said. You need to read your own posted citations with a mind to truly understand what the article is saying. Not simply interpret them into your own way of thinking.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Anything in a caloric excess will cause one to gain weight. Fact. I can't eat 3000 calories a day of just fruits and vegetables and think that because it is plant based that I won't gain weight.

Two, ketosis is not hurtful in the short term or the long term, unless someone has an underlying condition like liver or kidney failure.

Also, how about you do you and let other people worry about what and how they fill their own plates. Just some friendly advice.

sounds like we have an undercover PETA guy up in here lol
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    edited January 2016
    Yo @opycha I'd still like to know why you think I'm a "liar" for being a fat vegan. There's plenty of us out there...I'm curious to know what you think I'm lying about exactly? Oh, and could you please exit the school of McDougallism? The guy is a quack. And you following him like this makes all of us vegans look absolutely ridiculous.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member

Ummmmm... Pretty sure I not only.choose to purchase that tuna but.then proceeded to open the can and put it on my salad... I'm pretty sure it didn't magically appear there on its own.... And if it did im about to make some money! Lol
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    :D

Ketosis = life saving for some. Low Carb = healing/weight loss for some. Low Fat = weight loss for some. High Carb = basically nobody thinks that's a good idea. Just sayin...

People must choose the diet that works the best with they body they've been given. As a 19 year old boy you have plenty to learn. Someone like me, not obese, eats lower carb...has PCOS - manages symptoms of said syndrome quite well by avoiding high carb foods...we exist, kiddo, in large numbers. It's not the only sydrome/disease that requires modified diets. Open your mind, you'll be surprised by some of the things you might learn.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    In b4 OP gets ten years older, finds this thread again, and travels back in time to curb-stomp his 19-year-old self for being such a dumbass.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
This discussion has been closed.