Aren't you a little tired of the "Obesity Epidemic"?

Options

Replies

• CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Doctors refuse to say anything for fear of being called out for "fat shaming". See the Catch-22 here? No fat shaming, ever, so doctors have to keep their mouths shut and try to offer less criticism and more pills or differential diagnoses. Anxiety and depression? Just prescribe a pill, don't address the anxiety and depression that most likely caused the obesity (and continues to cause the obesity that is causing the anxiety and depression).

And exactly HOW do you know this? Have you been to every doctor in the United States? It's blanket alarmism such as this that is the epidemic. It's know-it-all people who insist that they have every answer. You claim doctors refuse to say anything. All doctors? Some doctors? How many doctors exactly? Do you know that doctors DO actually address the anxiety and depression by combining prescription medicine with therapy, diet, exercise and other techniques to treat it? Or would you rather just assume that because some individuals are depressed and take meds that all doctors simply treat one way? Your simplistic view of the world around you is the problem, not something else.
    We need to stop walking on egg shells and remove the UnPC label of "fat shaming". There is a way we can address the issue of morbid obesity in a way that speaks the truth without the person falling to pieces and getting defensive.

You should feel free to do this in your own life. I suggest when your husband comes home from work, you tell him he's fat. Go ahead. Do it. Tell him he's fat and that he HAS to do something about it. See how far it gets you. Tell him he doesn't know what's best for him, but because you troll around a f'ing website about fitness, you do. If you're not married, try it with one of your friends, or your children. If they don't tell you that it's none of your damn business, I'd be surprised, and they'd be right if they did..
    There is NOTHING WRONG with a doctor or nutritionist schooled in healthy living telling a patient "You are morbidly obese and need to change your lifestyle NOW before you die. That is the truth." Direct, honest truth and a reality check is what people need. Not some mollycoddling, walking around the issue, give them a pill and a pat on the head and pray they read between the lines crap.

You're right, there is nothing wrong with a doctor or nutritionist tell a patient they are morbidly obese. And when you've spoken with every doctor in the United States and have verifiable proof that all doctors walk on eggshells, then your posts will be valid.

What's with the attitude? Did one too many people call you fat one too many times?
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    A-HA! The crux of the issue right there! Had many of the adults on here (and in the general population) been given early education and proper modeling by parents, doctors, teachers, etc., then they wouldn't have become obese in the first place! This is an issue that dates back several generations. It's not a "now" problem, it's a "look at what we've become from years of bad eating and lack of exercise".

We are a fatter country because of the poor habits we've carried on for YEARS. It is a combination of poor eating, lack of physical exercise, the demise of the evening meal, the PC of "don't hurt Jimmy's esteem by telling him he is fat" and a bunch of other factors that have all contributed to adult obesity. People don't just grow obese overnight. It is a long process based on numerous and repetitive poor choices.

The crux of the issue is that the vast majority of obese people know they are obese, know they eat too much, know they exercise too little; and yet don't care.

Why don't they care? Because everyone assumes they are a special snowflake, and we've been pounding some notion that it's ok to be fat, just to love yourself.

Sorry, I wouldn't love being obese any more than I would love having a tumor.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    A-HA! The crux of the issue right there! Had many of the adults on here (and in the general population) been given early education and proper modeling by parents, doctors, teachers, etc., then they wouldn't have become obese in the first place! This is an issue that dates back several generations. It's not a "now" problem, it's a "look at what we've become from years of bad eating and lack of exercise".

We are a fatter country because of the poor habits we've carried on for YEARS. It is a combination of poor eating, lack of physical exercise, the demise of the evening meal, the PC of "don't hurt Jimmy's esteem by telling him he is fat" and a bunch of other factors that have all contributed to adult obesity. People don't just grow obese overnight. It is a long process based on numerous and repetitive poor choices.

The crux of the issue is that the vast majority of obese people know they are obese, know they eat too much, know they exercise too little; and yet don't care.

That's similar to a smoker's attitude about his or her smoking: I know I smoke too much, I know it's not good for me, but I don't care because the pleasure of it outweighs the difficulty and agony of having to stop doing it.

Working out and exercising takes more effort and dedication than simply "not caring".
  • TheSink
    TheSink Posts: 97 Member
    Options

What's with the attitude? Did one too many people call you fat one too many times?

I just don't like when know-it-alls make stupid comments.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

I just don't like when know-it-alls make stupid comments.

Then you should probably edit your words better before you post them. And, by the way, I shall call you "Kettle" and you can call me "Pot".

:wink:
  • SusanRN2b
    SusanRN2b Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    How did this runaway train even get into the Food and Nutrition topic?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    some people are salicylate sensitive and do not know it. I didn't for 60 years. I have battled with my weight to the point that i am tired out. Salicylate is toxic to some people in small amounts. it is one method plants use to combat moulds and mildew. What we are never told amid the eat 5 a day and other healthy advice is many fruits and veg as well as herbs spices teas and everything which is considered to be flavour full is high in the stuff. A sensitive person can be overcome by others perfumes, washing powder residue smells as well as toothpaste and house hold cleaners.

without the help of our local allergist who told me I react to something they do not test for, and 8 out of 10 people who think they are allergic to maize starch aren't. Salicylate does not produce the usual expected allergy responses when tested.

Over time I am no longer bloated, have joint pain, can breath, can think, I don't have the need to sleep all day and have many more things I feel better being without. have a life to enjoy but still have 5 or 6 stone to get shut of.

I'd thank the Food can make you ill website, salicylate sensitive site as well as many more but especially the initial group of dietitians in Australia who set about defining the problem many many years ago now
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have had very slender coworkers talk about, "How can people get that big? They really need to learn discipline" or even "It's disgusting to be that fat!"

I'd just tell them I swallow my rage. Then jiggle my belly at them and say "There's a whole lotta hate rolling around in there".
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Actually people in America were smaller in size back when I was growing up in the last 1970s and early 1980s. Now when I go to the doctor, the chairs in the labs for the blood draw and in the waiting room are much bigger. I once asked why the chairs were so big. They have to accommodate people who weigh 300+ pounds. Today, there are more people who weigh in that range compared to 30 years ago. In my daughter's kindergarten class today there are kindergarteners who weigh 80 pounds. I can't remember an 80 pound child in my kindy class.

I used to live in Asia because my dad's career took us there. It's an eye opener to get off the plane from say Hong Kong to the US. Or even Europe to America. What's considered average in size here is considered large to extra large over there.

I recently had the same 'eye opening' experience when I went to Hong Kong and I was 'easily' the biggest guy in sight at 6' 1" 200 lbs :noway: :noway:
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    yes. My apology if it's already been said, but In 1996 or 97, the obesity epidemic can be accounted for by a change in the definition of "obesity." When the CDC changed the definition, 30 million Americans who had been of normal weight now found themselves to be obese, all without gaining a pound.

Tobacco fight $ had disappeared. Big food was the next target. My daddy didn't go into it, but a family friend that started with him in law did, Richard Berman. I've learned quite a bit about food politics from him. :)

Yes, Dr. Evil. lol. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Berman
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I've even had a (slender) doctor tell me to my face, "I can tell just by looking at you that you have high blood pressure." (He was wrong, it's normal.) So I wonder what kind of assumptions everyone makes -- that you're unhealthy and you need to be told to lose weight?

Every doctor I've ever had immediately wanted to test my sugar (always been normal)...my blood pressure (only high after they insult me by telling me I must have all sorts of things wrong with me) and my cholesterol (which my good is 75! They can't believe it and are amazed it's awesome).

Why fat people can't be healthy now can they? I always tell everyone, I'm the healthiest fat person you will ever meet! LMAO!

I need to go see the last doc as I'm out of thyroid meds soon (gee...maybe THAT had something to do with it perhaps?) and show up and say "in your face ****, I lost 56 pounds!"
  • spmcavoy1
    spmcavoy1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of it. I think people need to start REALLY educating themselves on a healthy lifestyle and how to maintain it. I feel like the days of playing outside and making a home cooked meal have been replaced with PS3 and take out. There is no 40 hour work week. There is no REAL work-life balance. There is limited family time. Everyone is overworked, over scheduled and under - educated on topics of nutrition and health.

Sometimes when I see truly obese individuals, I have to remember that I am not them, I don't know their life, I don't know how they reached that weight, I don't know whether or not they are or aren't healthy, and it's really none of my business right now.

Right now I'm "obese" with a BMI of 32.1, weighing in around 187lbs and a size 12-14. I was my healthiest at a BMI of ~26-27, about 150ish lbs and around a size 8-10, which would still put me "overweight." It didn't take into account my activity level or muscle mass. BMIs are good general points of reference (kinda like wikipedia) but aren't to be trusted on their own. Weighing a certain number =/= healthy or not healthy.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    "labeling obesity as a disease supports the medicalization of a majority of Americans’ everyday lives and behaviors. They say that the vote serves to scrutinize people’s every decision about what they choose to put in their mouth or how much time they choose to spend on the couch instead of jazzercising, prancercising, or however creative method used to stay fit.

Those who have not struggled with obesity firsthand see it as a choice, and not a disease, plain and simple. Some argue that it allows overweight or obese patients to justify particular unhealthy lifestyle or dietary practices if obesity is now recognized as a disease. Some pooh-pooh the ruling as a matter of semantics that in the larger picture, changes little for the better in the struggle against the obesity epidemic. And some even propose that this will lead to the domino effect of having cheeseburgers, fries, and large sodas laden with labels warning that these foodstuffs are hazardous to your health, akin to those labels on cigarette cartons."
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    The BMI standards, unlike the blood pressure and diabetes standards, have not been changed at all. Also, the BMI is not at all a good guide as to one's fitness. There are other ways to determine how fit a person. The main thing to look at is body fat. And the majority of people have far too much of it and it's very unhealthy.

Of course it's sad and rude for people to say things like you describe. But people, being people, will say ugly things in order to make themselves feel better, superior. To cover their own shortcomings.

We need to face the truth about ourselves. If we are overweight or obese, we need to admit it and fix it. We shouldn't blame others or condemn others who are rude and say unkind things. The only person we have to blame for our shortcomings is in the mirror.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    And I keep hearing that, "Oh, yeah, I'm really just concerned about your health," but they know nothing about these people. So how much of it is really that we "We want everyone to be healthy!"

I just want to say that I've heard lots of people on mfp saying these same things about people they think are underweight. People have judgements about weight. And they like to think it is noble and because they care about health.

They base BMI on averages. Not everyone fits into the average range. Not everyone has an average sized frame. Some are smaller, some are larger and there are many other factors other than height. With a more accurate BMI calculator that takes frame size into consideration the healthy range for me goes down to 18. But, that calculator was only accurate for me because I have a small frame and I'm petite. For larger framed petite people it was wrong and for smaller framed tall people it was wrong.

Generally people seem completely fine if someone is slightly above the healthy limit (supposedly slightly overweight), but if they are .1 below the healthy range at 18.4 (even with doctor approval of health and not being underweight) they are suddenly considered to be knocking at death's door. People are just funny about weight and how they think about other people's weight. And they place a funny kind of importance on BMI, not realizing the full range was not intended for one individual.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Why don't they care? Because everyone assumes they are a special snowflake, and we've been pounding some notion that it's ok to be fat, just to love yourself.

Sorry, I wouldn't love being obese any more than I would love having a tumor.

Where is the applause emoticon?
  • Shikonneko
    Shikonneko Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    BUT, when I see an obese kid going into the doc's office, I HOPE the doctor is counseling that child's parent about the situation. They NEED to hear the truth. And instead of just saying "Your kid needs to drop weight", they need to offer constructive, helpful advice. AND THE PARENT needs to take that advice. The parent buys the food for the kid, they are 100% responsible for that child's success or failure once the doctor has given his/her advice. They just don't want to take the advice and implement the changes, because that's much more effort than taking that child to McD's three times a week.

In my family we have a few people in the medical field, including a doctor. We also have a few obese, very out of shape members, including some children and teens. What amazes me is the amount of silence that comes from doctors and medical personnel on the whole.

For example, my sister is obese. She actually at this point is likely in the "morbidly" so category. She suffers from some anxiety issues so she's been into the ER a handful of times and has regular check ups with her doctor. They'll discuss throwing her on some anti-anxiety meds, finding ways to destress, answer all her medical questions. But do you know that not one single doctor has ever, even once, addressed her obesity? They know we have a family history of type II diabetes and high blood pressure, and yet not one has said "You really need to get your weight down. Would you like some help with that?". And her story is not unique, among the adults AND the parents.

Even when I was a fat kid in the 80's and 90's my mother had to be the one to seek out a nutritionist and try and change the way we ate. She had to ask all the questions. The doctors didn't seem to think our weight issues were a big deal, either that or they're terrified of pissing off parents.

I hope the next generation of doctors come up with a vastly improved understanding of nutrition, and a "devil may care" attitude toward calling out obesity and treating it just like you would have you patient came in with any other chronic ailment.

Doctors refuse to say anything for fear of being called out for "fat shaming". See the Catch-22 here? No fat shaming, ever, so doctors have to keep their mouths shut and try to offer less criticism and more pills or differential diagnoses. Anxiety and depression? Just prescribe a pill, don't address the anxiety and depression that most likely caused the obesity (and continues to cause the obesity that is causing the anxiety and depression).

We need to stop walking on egg shells and remove the UnPC label of "fat shaming". There is a way we can address the issue of morbid obesity in a way that speaks the truth without the person falling to pieces and getting defensive.

There is NOTHING WRONG with a doctor or nutritionist schooled in healthy living telling a patient "You are morbidly obese and need to change your lifestyle NOW before you die. That is the truth." Direct, honest truth and a reality check is what people need. Not some mollycoddling, walking around the issue, give them a pill and a pat on the head and pray they read between the lines crap.

I don't think this is 100% accurate. Anecdotally 2 of the last 3 general practitioners I had made a point to call me fat (yes, actually say "You're [still] fat. you know that right?"). None of them expressed any sort of interest in my changing or any sort of willingness to provide me information ('you can figure it out"), which kinda shows how little invested just about everyone can be in this situation.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    And I keep hearing that, "Oh, yeah, I'm really just concerned about your health," but they know nothing about these people. So how much of it is really that we "We want everyone to be healthy!"

I just want to say that I've heard lots of people on mfp saying these same things about people they think are underweight. People have judgements about weight. And they like to think it is noble and because they care about health.

They base BMI on averages. Not everyone fits into the average range. Not everyone has an average sized frame. Some are smaller, some are larger and there are many other factors other than height. With a more accurate BMI calculator that takes frame size into consideration the healthy range for me goes down to 18. But, that calculator was only accurate for me because I have a small frame and I'm petite. For larger framed petite people it was wrong and for smaller framed tall people it was wrong.

Generally people seem completely fine if someone is slightly above the healthy limit (supposedly slightly overweight), but if they are .1 below the healthy range at 18.4 (even with doctor approval of health and not being underweight) they are suddenly considered to be knocking at death's door. People are just funny about weight and how they think about other people's weight. And they place a funny kind of importance on BMI, not realizing the full range was not intended for one individual.

BMI does take frame size into account. That's why there are ranges.

Again: You are a special snowflake. Just like everyone else. Which means you are average, like the average person is.
  • belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options

No, it doesn't. BMI takes only *2* factors into account. Height & Weight. That's it. Period.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Again: You are a special snowflake. Just like everyone else. Which means you are average, like the average person is.

Lol, why so serious, mr. grumpy pants?

I'm not a special snowflake. I'm also not underweight. That was all I was saying. Hope you can get your panties out of your bum now.

When I said "average" I didn't mean that in the figurative sense. I meant it in terms of averages of the sizes of people (which is what the BMI chart is based on). That was all. Nothing deeper than that. You are reading into it. Not actually reading what I said. The word average carries a meaning that is not what I was attributing to it when I said it. You are allowing that to influence you when you read this.

The BMI has a range, and the range works for most people. Some people have an even larger frame than it accounts for and some people have a smaller frame than it accounts for, and those people will fall outside the range on either end of the range and still be healthy. And they won't die. But, you think the BMI chart accounts for all variation in all factors.

And no, I am most definitely not the only person in the world to fall outside of the BMI range. They could extend it back to 18 being healthy. There are entire countries full of people that would be classified as underweight by the BMI chart.