Aren't you a little tired of the "Obesity Epidemic"?

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's the governments fault.

I am pretty sure the government could do something about additives, gmos, growth hormones, and put a limit on how much sodium and other ingredients that can be trigger foods go into foods. But that isn't to say people can't take matters into their own hands and say I am not buying Tabasco Cheezit's cuz I will eat the whole box and I am going to avoid foods that are gmo and have growth hormones.
    No, Its the fast food industry.

I actually don't like fast food much with a few exceptions. But, this is probably one of the better choices for most people when they eat out. Most burger places have this thing where they have different sized burgers, fries, and sodas. So it's really weird to me when people say fast food makes you fat. Nu uh, it might be the triple cheese burger instead of a normal sized sandwich and it might be the super sized fries instead of the kid sized, but it's not fast food per se.

No, my parents are to blame.

This is often true that parents can leave people with long lasting issues that won't just go away cuz you are a tough guy and can handle whatever they dished out. Not to mention what food habits parents teach. However, it's your body to take care of when you reach adulthood and it's not really going to affect your parents if you abuse yourself with too much junk food or just plain too much food and whatever else you use to self medicate.
    It is soda pop addiction.

I lost 20 pounds giving up regular soda. I found them again a couple years later. But, be that as it may drinking sugar probably isn't a good idea.
    My past has turned me into an emotional eater.

Really you want to mock people for this. Yes it's a real problem and yes the person has to deal with it. But, it's a real issue and maybe you had this issue then you are what mocking yourself? It makes no sense. I do think people should seek therapy if this is the case for them. Instead of just going oh well that's the way I am, I eat a pint or more of ice cream when I am upset. The response to this is to tell the person that says this to get counselling. Not, go oh you are just making excuses.
    The portion sizes are bigger.

This is true as well. If someone says this to you tell them to order a take out container at the same time they place their order or to split their order with a companion if they can agree to eat the same thing. It works for me every time and I don't leave still hungry.
    I have fat genes

There actually is a fat gene. I don't know how many overweight people actually have it though. Assume if you are fat you have it and then create a calorie deficit it will still result in losing weight.
    I am big boned

Wow now body shaming. Do you really want to go there and say having a large frame can't happen? Really? Any frame size can get fat. But, it doesn't mean different frame sizes don't exist.
    I have a thyroid problem

Some people do and some are on my FL and they are losing weight. It's petty to say they are making an excuse for their weight.
    I am to stressed

Tell me about it. I have spent way too much time in the forums.
    They changed the BMI

BMI is a stupid measure anyway. They should just measure BF%. And look at other health markers.

Someone was mean to me today

Stress is a trigger for a lot of people. Ask them if they would be interested in learning yoga instead of diving into a bag of chips.
    I had a bad day

See above.
    My leg, arm, or back hurts, can' workout

Well anyone can cut calories. I think I wouldn't encourage someone to work out with an injury without a doctor checking it first.
    I am too tired

See above including having a doctor check out the possible reasons for low energy.

I just want to love myself the way I am

Most people should learn to do this and if they have health issues they need to address those issues. It's sort of like you know part of loving yourself. If a family member was sick they would take them to the doctor most likely. So if you love yourself you will try to be healthier.

I understand what you are saying about excuses. Making excuses doesn't make people healthier or help in losing weight. But, there are often issues that need to be addressed. And if they are your issues by all means make fun of yourself for them and keep doing what you are doing you will lose weight despite yourself. If it's someone else making the excuse let them know how they can overcome that issue instead of thinking they are just making an excuse that has no valid basis. Most excuses have an element of reality about them. But, most issues can be over come even if it takes some planning and lifestyle change.

PS I don't think you were actually trying to be mean. But, a lot of this seemed a bit insensitive even if it was directed towards yourself.

So only obese people have these issues? Bull. Take some acceptance you have caused your level of weight. Whatever that is. You can only blame your parents for so long. You move out, you grow up. Are you parents still to blame, 5, 10, 15, 20 years later?

WE ALL KNOW WHAT IS HEALTHY. We all know that if you eat a diet mainly of high calories food stuffs and move around very little we will put on weight. Its not magic science, not hard to believe.

My parents have been overweight nearly all my adult life. I understood from an early age my health was my responsibility and have always looked after it.

One has to take responsibility. One chooses to buy ones groceries and chooses to eat them. The person to blame? YOU!

So riddle me this. Why is it other countries don't have this issue as much? Is it because their people are so much more disciplined than the US. Or is it because the culture and types of foods they eat are different and don't promote obesity? If what parents do don't cause problems for their children for decades then parents should be able to dish out whatever and not worry about their children as adults, right? Because they will be able to make their own choices as an adult. And of course people of normal weight have issues from their childhood. I have known a lot of normal weighted alcoholics and drug addicts. Funny thing is most people don't point fingers at them in such an accusatory manner when they talk about their crappy childhoods, they suggest counselling even though they might think that the behavior is gross or disgusting and they might think the person is a mess. But, in general people seem more accepting of the fact that addiction is a disease even if it is self inflicted.

I really don't care what your attitude is. It affects me not at all. But, it will hinder you if you run into issues.

The problem is, if it is someone else's fault you are powerless. It you take some personal responsibility, you are empowered to change. I could ask, "why are there so many health people in the US in spite of the fact that they grew up in an unhealthy environment? I know it is hard and it feels like there is no way out. It took me 15 years to get it and finally lose weight. But I just never gave up trying different things. I realized if I wanted different results I had to do something dramatically different. Excused keep you in bondage to obesity. What if every obese person made a commitment to never use another excuse again? What do you think would happen to the obesity epidemic then? Sure, some would still struggle, but most would figure it out and start losing. I know I may sound unkind. But sometimes being kind is not always the most helpful thing.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's the governments fault.

I am pretty sure the government could do something about additives, gmos, growth hormones, and put a limit on how much sodium and other ingredients that can be trigger foods go into foods. But that isn't to say people can't take matters into their own hands and say I am not buying Tabasco Cheezit's cuz I will eat the whole box and I am going to avoid foods that are gmo and have growth hormones.
    No, Its the fast food industry.

I actually don't like fast food much with a few exceptions. But, this is probably one of the better choices for most people when they eat out. Most burger places have this thing where they have different sized burgers, fries, and sodas. So it's really weird to me when people say fast food makes you fat. Nu uh, it might be the triple cheese burger instead of a normal sized sandwich and it might be the super sized fries instead of the kid sized, but it's not fast food per se.

No, my parents are to blame.

This is often true that parents can leave people with long lasting issues that won't just go away cuz you are a tough guy and can handle whatever they dished out. Not to mention what food habits parents teach. However, it's your body to take care of when you reach adulthood and it's not really going to affect your parents if you abuse yourself with too much junk food or just plain too much food and whatever else you use to self medicate.
    It is soda pop addiction.

I lost 20 pounds giving up regular soda. I found them again a couple years later. But, be that as it may drinking sugar probably isn't a good idea.
    My past has turned me into an emotional eater.

Really you want to mock people for this. Yes it's a real problem and yes the person has to deal with it. But, it's a real issue and maybe you had this issue then you are what mocking yourself? It makes no sense. I do think people should seek therapy if this is the case for them. Instead of just going oh well that's the way I am, I eat a pint or more of ice cream when I am upset. The response to this is to tell the person that says this to get counselling. Not, go oh you are just making excuses.
    The portion sizes are bigger.

This is true as well. If someone says this to you tell them to order a take out container at the same time they place their order or to split their order with a companion if they can agree to eat the same thing. It works for me every time and I don't leave still hungry.
    I have fat genes

There actually is a fat gene. I don't know how many overweight people actually have it though. Assume if you are fat you have it and then create a calorie deficit it will still result in losing weight.
    I am big boned

Wow now body shaming. Do you really want to go there and say having a large frame can't happen? Really? Any frame size can get fat. But, it doesn't mean different frame sizes don't exist.
    I have a thyroid problem

Some people do and some are on my FL and they are losing weight. It's petty to say they are making an excuse for their weight.
    I am to stressed

Tell me about it. I have spent way too much time in the forums.
    They changed the BMI

BMI is a stupid measure anyway. They should just measure BF%. And look at other health markers.

Someone was mean to me today

Stress is a trigger for a lot of people. Ask them if they would be interested in learning yoga instead of diving into a bag of chips.
    I had a bad day

See above.
    My leg, arm, or back hurts, can' workout

Well anyone can cut calories. I think I wouldn't encourage someone to work out with an injury without a doctor checking it first.
    I am too tired

See above including having a doctor check out the possible reasons for low energy.

I just want to love myself the way I am

Most people should learn to do this and if they have health issues they need to address those issues. It's sort of like you know part of loving yourself. If a family member was sick they would take them to the doctor most likely. So if you love yourself you will try to be healthier.

I understand what you are saying about excuses. Making excuses doesn't make people healthier or help in losing weight. But, there are often issues that need to be addressed. And if they are your issues by all means make fun of yourself for them and keep doing what you are doing you will lose weight despite yourself. If it's someone else making the excuse let them know how they can overcome that issue instead of thinking they are just making an excuse that has no valid basis. Most excuses have an element of reality about them. But, most issues can be over come even if it takes some planning and lifestyle change.

PS I don't think you were actually trying to be mean. But, a lot of this seemed a bit insensitive even if it was directed towards yourself.

So only obese people have these issues? Bull. Take some acceptance you have caused your level of weight. Whatever that is. You can only blame your parents for so long. You move out, you grow up. Are you parents still to blame, 5, 10, 15, 20 years later?

WE ALL KNOW WHAT IS HEALTHY. We all know that if you eat a diet mainly of high calories food stuffs and move around very little we will put on weight. Its not magic science, not hard to believe.

My parents have been overweight nearly all my adult life. I understood from an early age my health was my responsibility and have always looked after it.

One has to take responsibility. One chooses to buy ones groceries and chooses to eat them. The person to blame? YOU!

So riddle me this. Why is it other countries don't have this issue as much? Is it because their people are so much more disciplined than the US. Or is it because the culture and types of foods they eat are different and don't promote obesity? If what parents do don't cause problems for their children for decades then parents should be able to dish out whatever and not worry about their children as adults, right? Because they will be able to make their own choices as an adult. And of course people of normal weight have issues from their childhood. I have known a lot of normal weighted alcoholics and drug addicts. Funny thing is most people don't point fingers at them in such an accusatory manner when they talk about their crappy childhoods, they suggest counselling even though they might think that the behavior is gross or disgusting and they might think the person is a mess. But, in general people seem more accepting of the fact that addiction is a disease even if it is self inflicted.

I really don't care what your attitude is. It affects me not at all. But, it will hinder you if you run into issues.

The problem is, if it is someone else's fault you are powerless. It you take some personal responsibility, you are empowered to change. I could ask, "why are there so many health people in the US in spite of the fact that they grew up in an unhealthy environment? I know it is hard and it feels like there is no way out. It took me 15 years to get it and finally lose weight. But I just never gave up trying different things. I realized if I wanted different results I had to do something dramatically different. Excused keep you in bondage to obesity. What if every obese person made a commitment to never use another excuse again? What do you think would happen to the obesity epidemic then? Sure, some would still struggle, but most would figure it out and start losing. I know I may sound unkind. But sometimes being kind is not always the most helpful thing.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, when I see severely overweight people I feel disgusted. There is nothing pretty about it. Usually they are huffing and puffing and complain about tasks that should be easy. I do feel bad sometimes, because the food advertising and the information out there isn't always the best. You have to do some work if you want to get healthy with all the junk in the news. For example, what the government tells us to eat according to the food pyramid is pretty far off base. Ultimately though it comes down to personal responsibility. If someone is 20-30 pounds overweight, whatever they just like to eat and are comfy in their own skin, that's fine. But people with more than 30 pounds to lose, I have a hard time feeling bad for them. I work so hard, day in and day out to maintain my body and it's not easy.

I do not think being fat is OK or natural. I think we accept wayyy too much in this country. No one likes being fat, and if you tell yourself that you are lying. Once you get skinny and learn how good it feels and how much easier it is just to wake up and get out of bed in the morning, you will never go back to being obese.

I get especially upset when I see fat people with fat kids perpetuating the cycle. I feel bad for those kids, but not for the adults. It is your responsibility to educate yourself on nutrition and move more!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Two third of Americans are overweight, while half of the overweights are obese. I went to the county fair yesterday, and it's not hard to see that the numbers are quite accurate. Before I began this weight loss journey I never paid attention to people's sizes. Now that I actively work on it every single day, the first thing I see from a person is where he/she is in the thin to morbidly obese spectrum. If you frequent any public space, you don't need the CDC to tell you that more than half of us can stand to lose some weight. Just look around.

It saddens me that instead of making an effort to lose weight, some people choose to justify their existence by arguing that overweight is the new normal.

Totally agree with you!! I feel like this is what the OP is trying to do. Stop justifying being fat, and do something about it!