Low carb... Is it a diet fad?

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Maybe I need to make it a bigger font too...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Please provide a lis of these unhealthy foods and explain why they are unhealthy?

There are no unhealthy foods, just unhealthy diets….

I don't go backwards for selective readers, but I will answer this...A triple whopper at burger king has 75 grams of fat, 27 saturated. Not good for the body even if you eat healthy the rest of the day and cut back on fat.

roast turkey ranch and bacon sandwich at arby's 2300 grams of sodium... only 800 calories so you'd still have to eat more that day.

Candies - don't know if u need a list of the ones that are pure sugar and artificial colors with no nutritional value.

movie theatre popcorn and soda - hopefully I don't need to explain this one.

restaurant chicken alfredo, fried chicken, pizza loaded with processed pork, high sodium tv dinners...

how many were you asking for?

All heart attacks on a plate B)

Apparently not lol. I need to learn that they're all healthy. :/

As everyone else has said....it depends on the context. I bolded it and underlined it for you so hopefully you see it this time.

Treating yourself to one once or twice a year, or on a day where you're super short on calories and/or your fat macro, they can fit just fine into your diet.

No one is suggesting they should be a daily staple of your diet. Then again, I wouldn't want any one single food to be a daily staple of my diet.

Not really. The question was unhealthy foods not foods you could never eat in all your life. It's still unhealthy even if it's manageable. That was the question, unhealthy foods. You don't have to find a way to fit spinach and kale into your diet once or twice a year. You don't have to squeeze in water into your macros. You don't have to manage the rest of your day after you indulge in a can of tuna. I don't even know why someone insinuating they DON'T have a lot to learn would be pushing these foods but as I said if you find them healthy, have at it.

I have to make every food fit. All of them. It's a balancing act.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Please provide a lis of these unhealthy foods and explain why they are unhealthy?

I don't go backwards for selective readers, but I will answer this...A triple whopper at burger king has 75 grams of fat, 27 saturated. Not good for the body even if you eat healthy the rest of the day and cut back on fat.

roast turkey ranch and bacon sandwich at arby's 2300 grams of sodium... only 800 calories so you'd still have to eat more that day.

Candies - don't know if u need a list of the ones that are pure sugar and artificial colors with no nutritional value.

restaurant chicken alfredo, fried chicken, pizza loaded with processed pork, high sodium tv dinners...

As everyone else has said....it depends on the context. I bolded it and underlined it for you so hopefully you see it this time.

Treating yourself to one once or twice a year, or on a day where you're super short on calories and/or your fat macro, they can fit just fine into your diet.

No one is suggesting they should be a daily staple of your diet. Then again, I wouldn't want any one single food to be a daily staple of my diet.

Not really. The question was unhealthy foods not foods you could never eat in all your life. It's still unhealthy even if it's manageable. That was the question, unhealthy foods. You don't have to find a way to fit spinach and kale into your diet once or twice a year. You don't have to squeeze in water into your macros. You don't have to manage the rest of your day after you indulge in a can of tuna. I don't even know why someone insinuating they DON'T have a lot to learn would be pushing these foods but as I said if you find them healthy, have at it.

5000 grams of sodium isn't for everyone. Do u just eat 2 Arby's sandwiches a day since they're that healthy? is that your meal plan?
  • juggernaut1974
    edited January 2016
    Options

5000 grams of sodium isn't for everyone. Do u just eat 2 Arby's sandwiches a day since they're that healthy? is that your meal plan?

Why do you have to keep inventing strawman arguments?

ETA: You're sort of making our point for us. You keep arguing contexts where a diet would be unhealthy.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Maybe when you aren't so defensive, you can come back and read a little bit about what people wrote and try to absorb it. At this point the debate is pointless as you don't seem to understand the basic premise of the discussion.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Please to name healthy food that if it was the only thing you ate, you would be healthy.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Maybe when you aren't so defensive, you can come back and read a little bit about what people wrote and try to absorb it. At this point the debate is pointless as you don't seem to understand the basic premise of the discussion.

I just answer the questions presented. I saw the greater context in what I originally replied to. If people don't want the answers they shouldn't ask. I don't even give credence to those foods being part of a debate it's absurd. I'm not the defensive one. I'm perfectly fine cutting back on those foods and labeling them as unhealthy. If you want to tell people they are healthy if you have them occasionally or if you work them in, tell people that and they will make the choices they make. I'm not the one with a position to defend. I stopped arguing, then answered a new question, and I'm going to stop arguing now. Like I said, eat your Arby's and your alfredo and your candy whenever it fits into your life and your plan. It's your body after all.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

I just answer the questions presented. I saw the greater context in what I originally replied to. If people don't want the answers they shouldn't ask. I don't even give credence to those foods being part of a debate it's absurd. I'm not the defensive one. I'm perfectly fine cutting back on those foods and labeling them as unhealthy. If you want to tell people they are healthy if you have them occasionally or if you work them in, tell people that and they will make the choices they make. I'm not the one with a position to defend. I stopped arguing, then answered a new question, and I'm going to stop arguing now. Like I said, eat your Arby's and your alfredo and your candy whenever it fits into your life and your plan. It's your body after all.

I have never seen someone so defensively defend their non-defensiveness.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

A head scratcher.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

A head scratcher.

And a tongue-twister to boot. Try it 3 times fast I almost fell over.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

A head scratcher.

I hurt myself, lol
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

ETA: You're sort of making our point for us. You keep arguing contexts where a diet would be unhealthy.

Dem peanuts are unhealthy I tell you. I once ate one and my face puffed up like I was a balloon animal.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Dem peanuts are unhealthy I tell you. I once ate one and my face puffed up like I was a balloon animal.

d4b.jpg
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

d4b.jpg

m9cxd3pcz3ad.jpg
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

Here's where you need to be careful as the science on saturated fat and sodium is not settled. The traits in those foods you consider unhealthy are core to my healthy diet - over half of it is usually saturated fat and 4000-5000mg a day in sodium.

Well my hubby's doctor would beg to differ since he told him to cut back on sodium since he has borderline high blood pressure, but whatever works.

For people with persistent low blood pressure increasing sodium intake could be helpful in assisting that. The reality is that diet is dependent on the individual. For me, sodium my increase my weight for a day through water retention, but all my health markers are fine. I typically get enough vitamins, minerals, protein, and fat. Working in the items on your list isn't problematic. As others have said, context is very important.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

A head scratcher.

I hurt myself, lol

@queenliz99 @CoffeeNCardio
    I was having some serious difficulties with ambiguously ambiguous last night...
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

It's not at all uncommon here. In the context of what you actually said, I pretty much agree with you. Certain foods are much easier to fit into a healthy balanced diet, while others are not.

The hair splitting usually keeps up if anyone suggests a diet that includes anything not carb heavy, but personally I've yet to see anyone give any examples that would disprove low carb or your example of healthier choices being lesser capable diet or a disadvantage to anyone. It's just how these forums roll.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    umayster wrote: »

Here's where you need to be careful as the science on saturated fat and sodium is not settled. The traits in those foods you consider unhealthy are core to my healthy diet - over half of it is usually saturated fat and 4000-5000mg a day in sodium.

Well my hubby's doctor would beg to differ since he told him to cut back on sodium since he has borderline high blood pressure, but whatever works.

For people with persistent low blood pressure increasing sodium intake could be helpful in assisting that. The reality is that diet is dependent on the individual. For me, sodium my increase my weight for a day through water retention, but all my health markers are fine. I typically get enough vitamins, minerals, protein, and fat. Working in the items on your list isn't problematic. As others have said, context is very important.

& on the other side of that, If you eat low carb you do not retain excess water and sodium so to meet the body's needs you replenish both continously to stay feeling optimal.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who eats a stick of butter... My max is 15grams