Low carb... Is it a diet fad?

Options

Replies

• JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    A balanced approach to dieting that focuses on hitting macros and micros that are also balanced and within calorie needs will achieve 99.9 percent of people's goals.

but....but....but, I am of the .01 ilk. B)

bamsxtwjw4j8.jpg
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Being a trainer/coach, no two people are the same. None of my clients are doing the same training routine or nutrition plan. What works for one individual may not work for the other. We have to take into account what our goals are.

Gaining lean muscle tissue, gain mass and weight, dropping body fat, maintaining current weight, are you focused on your strength goals or more so appearance??

Change will be made if you have medical issues also, going through more mobility and functional training as a rehabilitation. Are you an athlete looking to improve performance?

Lot of factors come into play. I see and talk to so many people daily about nutrition. I find a lot of the time, they are doing a nutrition plan that is aimed toward opposite of their current fitness goal. Conflicting goals will hinder results. Have to see what works best for you to get you to your goals efficiently and maintain long term.

You are a trainer coach and you used the term "lean muscle" 3v0wqy0n6xdo.jpg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who eats a stick of butter... My max is 15grams

I remember a thread where someone said they did this and one other person said they do too.

I remember a thread where someone said they take 5 tablespoons of coconut oil in their morning coffee.
  • BodayJohnnay
    BodayJohnnay Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Being a trainer/coach, no two people are the same. None of my clients are doing the same training routine or nutrition plan. What works for one individual may not work for the other. We have to take into account what our goals are.

Gaining lean muscle tissue, gain mass and weight, dropping body fat, maintaining current weight, are you focused on your strength goals or more so appearance??

Change will be made if you have medical issues also, going through more mobility and functional training as a rehabilitation. Are you an athlete looking to improve performance?

Lot of factors come into play. I see and talk to so many people daily about nutrition. I find a lot of the time, they are doing a nutrition plan that is aimed toward opposite of their current fitness goal. Conflicting goals will hinder results. Have to see what works best for you to get you to your goals efficiently and maintain long term.

May I ask what the problem is from your perspective? I wouldn't want to be lying to those who are looking for a lean look vs someone who is into mass build.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

I remember a thread where someone said they did this and one other person said they do too.

I remember a thread where someone said they take 5 tablespoons of coconut oil in their morning coffee.

I remember a thread where someone said they ate more than half their diet in a macro that isn't even required nutritionally.

oh. I forget. Nevermind that.

If you function on a glucose fuel diet, you get your energy from carb calories. If you function on a fat fuel diet you get your energy from fat calories.

You seem to be implying coconut oil is not valid food and eating it is mock-worthy? I thought the official line is 'no bad foods'?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

I remember a thread where someone said they ate more than half their diet in a macro that isn't even required nutritionally.

If you function on a glucose fuel diet, you get your energy from carb calories. If you function on a fat fuel diet you get your energy from fat calories.

You seem to be implying coconut oil is not valid food and eating it is mock-worthy? I thought the official line is 'no bad foods'?

And it's not necessary to eat five times your fat minimum either but you always goes over that be too....
  • ndj1979
    Options

May I ask what the problem is from your perspective? I wouldn't want to be lying to those who are looking for a lean look vs someone who is into mass build.

Muscle = muscle it is not lean or fat
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Beat me to it.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

And it's not necessary to eat five times your fat minimum either but you always goes over that be too....

I think my point was that each of us have to figure out a formula for our specific situation and some of the figuring out part wiil not make sense to others, but should always be respected. It is easy to make fun of fat intake but kinda a cheap shot - just like my carb comment.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Hmm. There is is no minimum for carbohydrate consumption so that would put it at zero. If one is eating 40-50% of their calories in carbs... Well, that's more than five times over the minimum. Not necessary I guess?
  • BodayJohnnay
    BodayJohnnay Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Sorry. Didn't see my post in time to edit. Autocorrect on phone sucks. My mistake for the misinterpreted information. It was suppose to say and be meant toward lean body mass and muscle mass (skeletal muscle) Wouldn't want to throw the two together. Yes muscle is muscle.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Hmm. There is is no minimum for carbohydrate consumption so that would put it at zero. If one is eating 40-50% of their calories in carbs... Well, that's more than five times over the minimum. Not necessary I guess?

Hmm.
    There's maximum recommendations for protein and fat, I wonder what the rest of your calorie intake should consist of if you put them both at maximum and it's less than 100%.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Most likely the majority of the carbs in a good diet will be providing micronutrients. It's also recommended to consume carbs if doing intense exercise. One can fuel oneself with fat, sure (in fact, we all use fat as fuel, you don't need to be doing a keto diet for that to be the case), but it's always less efficient so won't prevent you from bonking if exercising intensely beyond a certain period of time.

If memory serves, Gale claims to consume about 800 calories in coconut oil, which isn't providing much in the way of micros, just calories.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Hmm.
    There's maximum recommendations for protein and fat, I wonder what the rest of your calorie intake should consist of if you put them both at maximum and it's less than 100%.

You and your logic...
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

Hmm.

Vodka and rum?
  • ndj1979
    Options

about as necessary as blowing at your fat minimum by 50%….

I just find it amusing that the keto/LC crew argues that carbs are not necessary, OK, maybe not, but it is not necessary to blow out your fat minimum by 50% either, but you all love to gloss over that point….

oh and see @stevencloser response….
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Hmm.

That is not a requirement but just a recommendation by organizations whose guidelines don't work well for me (like ADA, Mayo, and AHA). I think their advice is quite outdated, along with advice to use egg substitutes instead of eggs, using low fat dairy, and substituting vegetable oils for saturated fats in cooking.

I honestly can't find any studies stating what a humans maximum fat intake should be. My guess is that it won't go higher than 90% but just because one would start to be lacking in protein.

If you have a study with the science that discovered the maximum fat intake for people, I would like to see it. It would be quite relevent to my diet.

lemurcat12 wrote: »

Most likely the majority of the carbs in a good diet will be providing micronutrients. It's also recommended to consume carbs if doing intense exercise. One can fuel oneself with fat, sure (in fact, we all use fat as fuel, you don't need to be doing a keto diet for that to be the case), but it's always less efficient so won't prevent you from bonking if exercising intensely beyond a certain period of time.

If memory serves, Gale claims to consume about 800 calories in coconut oil, which isn't providing much in the way of micros, just calories.

I doubt it it pertinent to the conversation to include specific people's dietary preferences when they are not participating in the thread.

Micronutrients are found in foods that are not carb heavy too. Micronutrient intake is largely a non issue for any well planned diet regardless of the type including low carb, Zone, vegetarian.

And no, bonking is less of an issue for someone who is adapted to a ketogenic state. Extreme endurance athletes seem to benefit from very low carb diets for that very reason. Even if it was true that fat is a less efficient fuel, and it could be for those not yet keto adapted, it would be a non-issue for most low carb people including me. I rarely do cardio or weights for more than an hour; occassionally I might be out hiking for hours but in that case I bring lunch.

I just find it amusing that the keto/LC crew argues that carbs are not necessary, OK, maybe not, but it is not necessary to blow out your fat minimum by 50% either, but you all love to gloss over that point….

I don't think I glossed over it. I must keep carbs very low to manage my insulin resistance. I must also keep protein moderate to manage said stubborn insulin resistance (as you know, protein raises insuli and BG too). What is left? Air? Breatharian lifestyle isn't going to cut it for me.

For me, it is "necessary to blow out fat minimum by 50%" or I'll be awfully hungry. I'm not sure why eating higher fat would be bothersome for you.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Hmm.

That is not a requirement but just a recommendation by organizations whose guidelines don't work well for me (like ADA, Mayo, and AHA). I think their advice is quite outdated, along with advice to use egg substitutes instead of eggs, using low fat dairy, and substituting vegetable oils for saturated fats in cooking.

I honestly can't find any studies stating what a humans maximum fat intake should be. My guess is that it won't go higher than 90% but just because one would start to be lacking in protein.

If you have a study with the science that discovered the maximum fat intake for people, I would like to see it. It would be quite relevent to my diet.

I doubt it it pertinent to the conversation to include specific people's dietary preferences when they are not participating in the thread.

Micronutrients are found in foods that are not carb heavy too. Micronutrient intake is largely a non issue for any well planned diet regardless of the type including low carb, Zone, vegetarian.

And no, bonking is less of an issue for someone who is adapted to a ketogenic state. Extreme endurance athletes seem to benefit from very low carb diets for that very reason. Even if it was true that fat is a less efficient fuel, and it could be for those not yet keto adapted, it would be a non-issue for most low carb people including me. I rarely do cardio or weights for more than an hour; occassionally I might be out hiking for hours but in that case I bring lunch.

I don't think I glossed over it. I must keep carbs very low to manage my insulin resistance. I must also keep protein moderate to manage said stubborn insulin resistance (as you know, protein raises insuli and BG too). What is left? Air? Breatharian lifestyle isn't going to cut it for me.

For me, it is "necessary to blow out fat minimum by 50%" or I'll be awfully hungry. I'm not sure why eating higher fat would be bothersome for you.

Do you have any peer reviewed research on the extreme endurance athletes? From what I've seen it seems that they do ok in the steady state, which fat can keep up with, but suck wind in the higher power output aspects like final push where you really need carbohydrates since fat doesn't oxidize quickly enough.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Hmm.

Do you have any peer reviewed research on the extreme endurance athletes? From what I've seen it seems that they do ok in the steady state, which fat can keep up with, but suck wind in the higher power output aspects like final push where you really need carbohydrates since fat doesn't oxidize quickly enough.

No. I've never looked for any. Just personal accounts and discussions.
    Peter Attia experimenetd on himself and had fairly clear results. He is not an extreme endurance athlete though. http://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance
    Ben Greefield did similar things. again, he is sort of an extreme endurance athlete. I know he does triathalons. http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2014/05/how-much-fat-can-you-burn-2/

Athletes in ketosis will often add some carbs right before an event that requires a short all out burst of energy. they still are in ketosis and find glucose performance enhancing for those short energy bursts.... from what I understand.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Hmm.

No. I've never looked for any. Just personal accounts and discussions.
    Peter Attia experimenetd on himself and had fairly clear results. He is not an extreme endurance athlete though. http://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance
    Ben Greefield did similar things. again, he is sort of an extreme endurance athlete. I know he does triathalons. http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2014/05/how-much-fat-can-you-burn-2/

Athletes in ketosis will often add some carbs right before an event that requires a short all out burst of energy. they still are in ketosis and find glucose performance enhancing for those short energy bursts.... from what I understand.

That's the crux of the problem for me on athletic performance, it's all just anecdotal and conjecture right now. I don't know of any of the elites being in keto, but if there are I would be interested to hear of this. It doesn't seem likely that a keto endurance athlete can keep up with elites but who knows. I just don't see them being able to hold up on when it gets to the sprinting due to the slower oxidation rate of fat versus carbs, you just have limits based on chemistry you can't overcome, but I'm not sure where these constraints will show without the proper data -- I'm just speculating.