Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Low carb... Is it a diet fad?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    umayster wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    I don't know anyone who eats a stick of butter... My max is 15grams

I remember a thread where someone said they did this and one other person said they do too.

I remember a thread where someone said they take 5 tablespoons of coconut oil in their morning coffee.

I remember a thread where someone said they ate more than half their diet in a macro that isn't even required nutritionally.

oh. I forget. Nevermind that.

If you function on a glucose fuel diet, you get your energy from carb calories. If you function on a fat fuel diet you get your energy from fat calories.

You seem to be implying coconut oil is not valid food and eating it is mock-worthy? I thought the official line is 'no bad foods'?

And it's not necessary to eat five times your fat minimum either but you always goes over that be too....

Hmm. There is is no minimum for carbohydrate consumption so that would put it at zero. If one is eating 40-50% of their calories in carbs... Well, that's more than five times over the minimum. Not necessary I guess?

Hmm.
    There's maximum recommendations for protein and fat, I wonder what the rest of your calorie intake should consist of if you put them both at maximum and it's less than 100%.

That is not a requirement but just a recommendation by organizations whose guidelines don't work well for me (like ADA, Mayo, and AHA). I think their advice is quite outdated, along with advice to use egg substitutes instead of eggs, using low fat dairy, and substituting vegetable oils for saturated fats in cooking.

I honestly can't find any studies stating what a humans maximum fat intake should be. My guess is that it won't go higher than 90% but just because one would start to be lacking in protein.

If you have a study with the science that discovered the maximum fat intake for people, I would like to see it. It would be quite relevent to my diet.

lemurcat12 wrote: »

I remember a thread where someone said they did this and one other person said they do too.

I remember a thread where someone said they take 5 tablespoons of coconut oil in their morning coffee.

I remember a thread where someone said they ate more than half their diet in a macro that isn't even required nutritionally.

If you function on a glucose fuel diet, you get your energy from carb calories. If you function on a fat fuel diet you get your energy from fat calories.

You seem to be implying coconut oil is not valid food and eating it is mock-worthy? I thought the official line is 'no bad foods'?

And it's not necessary to eat five times your fat minimum either but you always goes over that be too....

Hmm. There is is no minimum for carbohydrate consumption so that would put it at zero. If one is eating 40-50% of their calories in carbs... Well, that's more than five times over the minimum. Not necessary I guess?

Most likely the majority of the carbs in a good diet will be providing micronutrients. It's also recommended to consume carbs if doing intense exercise. One can fuel oneself with fat, sure (in fact, we all use fat as fuel, you don't need to be doing a keto diet for that to be the case), but it's always less efficient so won't prevent you from bonking if exercising intensely beyond a certain period of time.

If memory serves, Gale claims to consume about 800 calories in coconut oil, which isn't providing much in the way of micros, just calories.

I doubt it it pertinent to the conversation to include specific people's dietary preferences when they are not participating in the thread.

Micronutrients are found in foods that are not carb heavy too. Micronutrient intake is largely a non issue for any well planned diet regardless of the type including low carb, Zone, vegetarian.

And no, bonking is less of an issue for someone who is adapted to a ketogenic state. Extreme endurance athletes seem to benefit from very low carb diets for that very reason. Even if it was true that fat is a less efficient fuel, and it could be for those not yet keto adapted, it would be a non-issue for most low carb people including me. I rarely do cardio or weights for more than an hour; occassionally I might be out hiking for hours but in that case I bring lunch.

about as necessary as blowing at your fat minimum by 50%….

I just find it amusing that the keto/LC crew argues that carbs are not necessary, OK, maybe not, but it is not necessary to blow out your fat minimum by 50% either, but you all love to gloss over that point….

oh and see @stevencloser response….

I don't think I glossed over it. I must keep carbs very low to manage my insulin resistance. I must also keep protein moderate to manage said stubborn insulin resistance (as you know, protein raises insuli and BG too). What is left? Air? Breatharian lifestyle isn't going to cut it for me.

For me, it is "necessary to blow out fat minimum by 50%" or I'll be awfully hungry. I'm not sure why eating higher fat would be bothersome for you.

and why do you find people that eat high carb bothersome?

that last statement is pretty amusing given your opinion that half the population should be low carb….
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

Hmm.
    There's maximum recommendations for protein and fat, I wonder what the rest of your calorie intake should consist of if you put them both at maximum and it's less than 100%.

That is not a requirement but just a recommendation by organizations whose guidelines don't work well for me (like ADA, Mayo, and AHA). I think their advice is quite outdated, along with advice to use egg substitutes instead of eggs, using low fat dairy, and substituting vegetable oils for saturated fats in cooking.

I honestly can't find any studies stating what a humans maximum fat intake should be. My guess is that it won't go higher than 90% but just because one would start to be lacking in protein.

If you have a study with the science that discovered the maximum fat intake for people, I would like to see it. It would be quite relevent to my diet.

Most likely the majority of the carbs in a good diet will be providing micronutrients. It's also recommended to consume carbs if doing intense exercise. One can fuel oneself with fat, sure (in fact, we all use fat as fuel, you don't need to be doing a keto diet for that to be the case), but it's always less efficient so won't prevent you from bonking if exercising intensely beyond a certain period of time.

If memory serves, Gale claims to consume about 800 calories in coconut oil, which isn't providing much in the way of micros, just calories.

I doubt it it pertinent to the conversation to include specific people's dietary preferences when they are not participating in the thread.

Micronutrients are found in foods that are not carb heavy too. Micronutrient intake is largely a non issue for any well planned diet regardless of the type including low carb, Zone, vegetarian.

And no, bonking is less of an issue for someone who is adapted to a ketogenic state. Extreme endurance athletes seem to benefit from very low carb diets for that very reason. Even if it was true that fat is a less efficient fuel, and it could be for those not yet keto adapted, it would be a non-issue for most low carb people including me. I rarely do cardio or weights for more than an hour; occassionally I might be out hiking for hours but in that case I bring lunch.

I just find it amusing that the keto/LC crew argues that carbs are not necessary, OK, maybe not, but it is not necessary to blow out your fat minimum by 50% either, but you all love to gloss over that point….

I don't think I glossed over it. I must keep carbs very low to manage my insulin resistance. I must also keep protein moderate to manage said stubborn insulin resistance (as you know, protein raises insuli and BG too). What is left? Air? Breatharian lifestyle isn't going to cut it for me.

For me, it is "necessary to blow out fat minimum by 50%" or I'll be awfully hungry. I'm not sure why eating higher fat would be bothersome for you.

that last statement is pretty amusing given your opinion that half the population should be low carb….

Every person I know in life eats more carbs than me. Every single one. I only know of two other people who eat lower carb. In my part of the world, LCHF is a very small minority, and a ketogenic diet is a tiny minority.... That is probably partially why few athletes are doing it - few people are doing it at all.

I don't find a higher carb diet bothersome in the least, as long as I am not forced to do it. On the other hand, sure, qthere are characters who bother me on occasion, but they only manage a small, minor annoyance, and usually provide a laugh with their efforts.

Really, I'm not going to high carb threads to discus why I think that woe could be a bad idea unlike some higher carb people who for some reason frequent most low carb threads just to say it is a bad idea or they don't get why someone would eat that way.

Just to play devil's advocate, why shouldn't half the population try low carb? Would that be a bad thing in your opinion? Most of North America moved towards high carb and it was a fail. LCHF is safe, as safe as any diet, and could improve the health of some of those with insulin resistance, heart disease, some autoimmune diseases, and even some cancers. People should be free to try it. There are very very few people it could hurt.

If they gave it a month or two, how is that bad? It doesn't threaten higher carbers' way of life. If LCHF doesn't help, or they hate it, they can always move on to something else. Those who found something else that works already - great! Keep doing what they are doing.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016

Hmm.

Every person I know in life eats more carbs than me. Every single one. I only know of two other people who eat lower carb. In my part of the world, LCHF is a very small minority, and a ketogenic diet is a tiny minority.... That is probably partially why few athletes are doing it - few people are doing it at all.

I don't find a higher carb diet bothersome in the least, as long as I am not forced to do it. On the other hand, sure, qthere are characters who bother me on occasion, but they only manage a small, minor annoyance, and usually provide a laugh with their efforts.

Really, I'm not going to high carb threads to discus why I think that woe could be a bad idea unlike some higher carb people who for some reason frequent most low carb threads just to say it is a bad idea or they don't get why someone would eat that way.

Just to play devil's advocate, why shouldn't half the population try low carb? Would that be a bad thing in your opinion? Most of North America moved towards high carb and it was a fail. LCHF is safe, as safe as any diet, and could improve the health of some of those with insulin resistance, heart disease, some autoimmune diseases, and even some cancers. People should be free to try it. There are very very few people it could hurt.

If they gave it a month or two, how is that bad? It doesn't threaten higher carbers' way of life. If LCHF doesn't help, or they hate it, they can always move on to something else. Those who found something else that works already - great! Keep doing what they are doing.

Interensting that you mention that Keto is very rare, it probably is, but based on the number of people who seem to be on some version of LCHF here I would have assumed that it's more popular.

Note on the failure of high carb, actually, low carb hasn't been any more successful since both high and low carb diets work but people can't tend to stay on either. Those who are on high carb tend to add in fats and those on low carb tend to add in carbs, and then eventually they end up back to old eating habits..
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2016

I don't think anyone said a low carb diet is bad, but rather, that if not implemented well, that it is can be bad.

And most of American went to a supersized world which include high amounts of FAT and CARBS. Blaming only part of the equation is an issue. Weight management is the problem with most of america. It's getting away from low nutrient, high calorie foods and lack of exercise and reversing it to maximize nutrient dense food and exercise.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Obviously I'm not an Olympic athlete... But the one thing I did notice when I lowered my carbs was that I had more energy, not less. The sluggish afternoon slump was gone, and I found I met my exercise goal quicker every day, plus I added more miles.

I think for a lot of people eating lots of fast carbs (especially when not really exercising) can lead to slumps like that. I realized around the time I started this that I was sometimes using quick carbs for energy during the day and would go up and down. Stopping that was really helpful.

I don't find that's the case if one chooses more sensibly, at least for me, and I really don't find fat especially satiating (nuts can be, but low fat vs. full fat yogurt makes no difference, I find lean meat more filling than higher fat cuts, and adding oil adds no satiety for me). Anyway, of course people should find what works for them, and I do think low carb helps with satiety for some (although I suspect than in many of those cases changing up the carbs would have helped too).

What I'm talking about re exercise are lots of studies (as well as the choices by the vast majority of those engaging in the sports I'm interested in) showing training advantages to including carbs and, of course, consuming carbs when racing (even those few who train on lower carb diets). I also do find, although with limited experience, that I feel more energetic and recover better with more carbs (I fall into low carb days often enough that I noticed this even before looking into the research when I started adding in a lot more longer bike rides and runs). I ran 18 miles yesterday without consuming anything (carbs or otherwise) during the run, so it's not like eating carbs makes you unable to complete a training run (long and not that fast) without them -- as I said, everyone burns fat, you don't need to do low carb to do so -- but I think that was a mistake and I would have done better toward the end if I had included some nutrition. (And I think consuming carbs afterwards was likely helpful to my recovery.)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

Hmm.

I have never said, nor have I seen, anyone say that LCHF is not a WOE that one can choose to utilize as a weight loss strategy. However, what we are saying is that LCHF will not make you lose weight faster, is not healthier, and is not some magical cure all for every known disease known to man.

To your last point, LCHF is totally unnecessary for weight loss or health, and people can achieve the same affects through diet, exercise, and hitting their micros and macros, without LCHF.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Obviously I'm not an Olympic athlete... But the one thing I did notice when I lowered my carbs was that I had more energy, not less. The sluggish afternoon slump was gone, and I found I met my exercise goal quicker every day, plus I added more miles.

For me, this was the original purpose (along with craving control) for going "slow carb". I felt that my energy (and mood) were all over the place. Once I got things evened out a bit, the rest took care of itself.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Now I will interrupt your normal programming. Was reading and came across this low carb pizza recipe. I was wondering if any of you low carbers have tasted this and how was it. Sounds like it would be good. http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2013/06/30/weekend-bonus-the-older-brothers-oldest-sons-faux-carb-pizza/

We eat fathead pizza all the time. Yum! And it doesn't jack around my blood sugar like regular pizza crust either.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I have never said, nor have I seen, anyone say that LCHF is not a WOE that one can choose to utilize as a weight loss strategy. However, what we are saying is that LCHF will not make you lose weight faster, is not healthier, and is not some magical cure all for every known disease known to man.

To your last point, LCHF is totally unnecessary for weight loss or health, and people can achieve the same affects through diet, exercise, and hitting their micros and macros, without LCHF.

So it's just a semantics game where appearing in any discussion of low carbing to say it is "totally unnecessary" is somehow OK as long as you don't say "it isn't a WOE that one can choose".

You won't get the triglyceride / HDL ratio of LCHF on high carbs, to name but one, so your health claims are dubious at best.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2016

Any well-planned diet, yes, but I've looked at plenty of super low carb diets here after the person in question promoted their specific diet to others, and they looked to be far short of some basic micros on a regular basis.
    And no, bonking is less of an issue for someone who is adapted to a ketogenic state. Extreme endurance athletes seem to benefit from very low carb diets for that very reason. Even if it was true that fat is a less efficient fuel, and it could be for those not yet keto adapted, it would be a non-issue for most low carb people including me.

Not true at all. Intense exercise can't be fueled without carbs, and if you look even at extreme endurance athletes who are promoted as low carb examples, they tend to eat lots of carbs when racing.

That isn't true. Intense exercise can be fueled without carbs. Carbs will provide some extra fuel though for those who need it during intense competition or training. Peter Attia MD refers to carbs as a performance enhancing drug.

Those who are not adding in carbs can still perform very well, but at a very high competitive level, say nationals or something, adding in some carbs for explosive, short duration sports would most likely give a slight edge.

I've seen no evidence of this. Ben Greenfield was consuming carbs during a race while on his keto experiment and still bonked, which Attia apparently attributed to him being glycogen depleted at the beginning of the race and they planned adding in even more carbs: http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2013/10/ketogenic-triathlete.html

Another example that is frequently used as evidence that you don't need carbs for ultra endurance similar does use them on a race, even one that (as noted) should be the most conducive to that is Tim Olson, and again he does fuel with carbs:

http://anthonycolpo.com/tim-olson-another-low-carb-athlete-that-never-was/

As he says: "There is no such thing as using 100% fat or 100% carbohydrate to fuel any activity, although there is a spectrum in which fat predominates at low exercise intensities while carbohydrate increasingly predominates as the intensity increases."

Above 75% of your VO max you aren't going to be burning fat, or at least not much at all.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2016
    Most of North America moved towards high carb and it was a fail.

No, the actual change in macro ratios wasn't very significant when one looks at the better sources. Calories as a whole increased, both fat and carbs, with highly processed carbs increasing somewhat more. Trading off lower quality carbs for better quality carbs and lower quality fats for better quality fats would be beneficial. Changing macros when many healthy diets have more (and less) carbs as a percentage of the overall diet would likely make no difference. I think the SAD done in a LCHF way would likely be no difference from a health and fatness perspective and could be even more of a disaster than the current situation (as we replace the sugar in junk food with fake sugar and more fat, yay -- Snackwells in reverse).

Should someone try a low carb diet as a way to lose weight if they want? Sure, but not because "carbs" are unhealthy or that eating 50% of one's diet (or more, even) is unhealthy, and the constant evangelizing about the evils of eating carbs is tiresome.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    yarwell wrote: »

So it's just a semantics game where appearing in any discussion of low carbing to say it is "totally unnecessary" is somehow OK as long as you don't say "it isn't a WOE that one can choose".

You won't get the triglyceride / HDL ratio of LCHF on high carbs, to name but one, so your health claims are dubious at best.

Citation needed.
  • Wheelhouse15

What's the ratio you mention and do you have research for that? The frutarians are generally very good on those ratios from my understanding and you don't get higher carb than that as they are something like 80/10/10. I'm not saying I doubt what you are saying but I'm just curious as to the research on that and if it really even means anything in the end.
  • psuLemon
    edited February 2016

Citation needed.

It's one study (that I have seen him post) and it was based on 76% carbs and I am not even sure if the type of carbs were controlled. But I would need to deep dive the specifics again. I forget why I took issue with it prior.
  • Wheelhouse15

Any well-planned diet, yes, but I've looked at plenty of super low carb diets here after the person in question promoted their specific diet to others, and they looked to be far short of some basic micros on a regular basis.
    And no, bonking is less of an issue for someone who is adapted to a ketogenic state. Extreme endurance athletes seem to benefit from very low carb diets for that very reason. Even if it was true that fat is a less efficient fuel, and it could be for those not yet keto adapted, it would be a non-issue for most low carb people including me.

Not true at all. Intense exercise can't be fueled without carbs, and if you look even at extreme endurance athletes who are promoted as low carb examples, they tend to eat lots of carbs when racing.

That isn't true. Intense exercise can be fueled without carbs. Carbs will provide some extra fuel though for those who need it during intense competition or training. Peter Attia MD refers to carbs as a performance enhancing drug.

Those who are not adding in carbs can still perform very well, but at a very high competitive level, say nationals or something, adding in some carbs for explosive, short duration sports would most likely give a slight edge.

I've seen no evidence of this. Ben Greenfield was consuming carbs during a race while on his keto experiment and still bonked, which Attia apparently attributed to him being glycogen depleted at the beginning of the race and they planned adding in even more carbs: http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2013/10/ketogenic-triathlete.html

Another example that is frequently used as evidence that you don't need carbs for ultra endurance similar does use them on a race, even one that (as noted) should be the most conducive to that is Tim Olson, and again he does fuel with carbs:

As he says: "There is no such thing as using 100% fat or 100% carbohydrate to fuel any activity, although there is a spectrum in which fat predominates at low exercise intensities while carbohydrate increasingly predominates as the intensity increases."

Above 75% of your VO max you aren't going to be burning fat, or at least not much at all.

The mix of carb vs fat burning definitely spikes then but you still burn fat and you start to convert protein to carbs as well. However, keto adapted people might have different reactions I'll have to do some more research on this because it is an interesting topic.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

Citation needed.

It's one study (that I have seen him post) and it was based on 76% carbs and I am not even sure if the type of carbs were controlled. But I would need to deep dive the specifics again. I forget why I took issue with it prior.

Well, the bolded would be enough for me to take issue with it.

I know very few (ie zero) 'moderation' proponents that would ever come anywhere near 76% carb intake.
  • Wheelhouse15
    [

Citation needed.

I can see a very high carb diet not having enough protein to create an HDL, but overall levels and ratios might be fine. I'm not sure if having a really high ratio is any more of a benefit than having a lower, but acceptable ratio.
  • psuLemon

Citation needed.

Well, the bolded would be enough for me to take issue with it.

I know very few (ie zero) 'moderation' proponents that would ever come anywhere near 76% carb intake.

I think that was part of my argument. But it would be interesting if they compared against people following raw vegan, fruitarian or even a Mediterranean style diet.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member

The mix of carb vs fat burning definitely spikes then but you still burn fat and you start to convert protein to carbs as well. However, keto adapted people might have different reactions I'll have to do some more research on this because it is an interesting topic.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0026049515003340
  • Wheelhouse15

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0026049515003340

Thanks! I'll take a look.