Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Low carb... Is it a diet fad?

Replies

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    reisdbr wrote: »
    One of the newer episodes of the Joe Rogan podcast features Mark Sisson of the Primal Blueprint: bit.ly/1nxWbCB
    He's definitely one of the healthiest looking 60+ year olds I've ever seen. Former Iron Man triathlete and has a ton of books on nutrition for both performance and life in general. He champions LC and fat adaptation, and has maintained an average of 100g of carbs a day for 15 years. Talks about specific benefits of low carb as a method of reducing inflammation caused by refined grains and sugars. It's N=1, but interesting, and seemingly topical here.

Are you sure you are looking at recent pictures? He didn't look all that great in some of the ones I've seen.

Actually I was referring to the video I linked to. The one that was recorded last week.

Interesting, I'll have to look it up. I also remember a time where he was anti-running as well but he seems to have gone back to that again.

ETA but the way he looks has far more to do with the fact that he has maintained his fitness levels quite well rather than the diet.

Exactly. I find low carb health claims similar to vegan health claims, or to paleo, or any diet that tries to paint itself as superior and healthier. Can you be healthy with a low carb diet? Yes. Paleo? Yes. Vegan? Yes. The eat whatever you want while focusing on nutrients diet? Yes. Being able to achieve health does not prove the superiority of one diet over another as a general rule. One diet can be superior to another on a personal level given varying preferences, but you can't generalize that rule.

Older people who have taken good care of themselves is also not a good proof of the superiority of any particular diet. You think Mark Sisson looks good? Take a look at a raw vegan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6oJA_xhTa8

and this Punjabi Indian (lots of wheat and rice) who ran a marathon at 101

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/02/25/worlds-oldest-marathoner/1946619/

uhm... a 6.25 miles "marathon" sounds like a 10k...

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    One of the newer episodes of the Joe Rogan podcast features Mark Sisson of the Primal Blueprint: bit.ly/1nxWbCB
    He's definitely one of the healthiest looking 60+ year olds I've ever seen. Former Iron Man triathlete and has a ton of books on nutrition for both performance and life in general. He champions LC and fat adaptation, and has maintained an average of 100g of carbs a day for 15 years. Talks about specific benefits of low carb as a method of reducing inflammation caused by refined grains and sugars. It's N=1, but interesting, and seemingly topical here.

Are you sure you are looking at recent pictures? He didn't look all that great in some of the ones I've seen.

Actually I was referring to the video I linked to. The one that was recorded last week.

Interesting, I'll have to look it up. I also remember a time where he was anti-running as well but he seems to have gone back to that again.

ETA but the way he looks has far more to do with the fact that he has maintained his fitness levels quite well rather than the diet.

Exactly. I find low carb health claims similar to vegan health claims, or to paleo, or any diet that tries to paint itself as superior and healthier. Can you be healthy with a low carb diet? Yes. Paleo? Yes. Vegan? Yes. The eat whatever you want while focusing on nutrients diet? Yes. Being able to achieve health does not prove the superiority of one diet over another as a general rule. One diet can be superior to another on a personal level given varying preferences, but you can't generalize that rule.

Older people who have taken good care of themselves is also not a good proof of the superiority of any particular diet. You think Mark Sisson looks good? Take a look at a raw vegan

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/02/25/worlds-oldest-marathoner/1946619/

Which is what the article calls it:
    The world's oldest marathoner completed his last race on Sunday at age 101, crossing the finish line in the Hong Kong marathon's 10-kilometer race and retiring after 13 years of competitive running.

The oldest marathoner title seems to be from a race 4-5 months earlier (the October 2011 Toronto Marathon) when he was apparently 100 (although Guinness didn't recognize that).
    He ran his first marathon in 2000 and completed eight more, finishing with the 2011 Toronto Marathon. That should have put him in the books as the oldest person to ever complete the 26.2-mile race, but Guinness didn't acknowledge the record because Singh's date of birth on his passport (April 1, 1911) wasn't considered valid. He needed a government-issued birth certificate, which India did not provide at the time.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The world's oldest marathoner completed his last race on Sunday at age 101, crossing the finish line in the Hong Kong marathon's 10-kilometer race and retiring after 13 years of competitive running.

The oldest marathoner title seems to be from a race 4-5 months earlier (the October 2011 Toronto Marathon) when he was apparently 100 (although Guinness didn't recognize that).
    He ran his first marathon in 2000 and completed eight more, finishing with the 2011 Toronto Marathon. That should have put him in the books as the oldest person to ever complete the 26.2-mile race, but Guinness didn't acknowledge the record because Singh's date of birth on his passport (April 1, 1911) wasn't considered valid. He needed a government-issued birth certificate, which India did not provide at the time.

yeah, found, 8:25:17, definitely not bad for his age
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I don't know of any low carb health claims here that state it will improve your lifting, strength or muscle tone. The health claims usually pertain to improved insulin resistance and its associated symptoms or better lipid panels.... And not in all.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

yeah, found, 8:25:17, definitely not bad for his age

I would say at 100 any time would be good!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    It's one way to create a calorie deficit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2016
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I don't know of any low carb health claims here that state it will improve your lifting, strength or muscle tone. The health claims usually pertain to improved insulin resistance and its associated symptoms or better lipid panels.... And not in all.

And most of what you usually claims comes from weight loss, not automatically switching to low carb. Every study i have seen posted has been a weight loss study not a study where weight did not change or weight was gained.

The thing is, weight loss for the most part and exercise will improve all those conditions. Yoi can see that because you see similar results associated with a variety of dietary preference (vegan, paleo, Mediterranean)..

That being said, it doesnt matter how you approach it, as long as you improve your health who cares which approach you took..
  • psuLemon
    Personally I would shy away with making a universal (or the generic "may") claim that going low carb or any diet would provide specific results. For example, low carb does not guarantee improved lipid panels. There are several members who have double their triglycerides and worsened ldl's even with weight loss.

Does it mean that you can't see improve glucose control, lipids etc... on a low carb diet, no but it also doesn't guarantee it either because you have to fact in genetics, physical activity and bosy composition.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Low Carbohydrate Diets and Type 2 Diabetes: What is the Latest Evidence?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26446553

CONCLUSION:

Recent studies suggest that low carbohydrate diets appear to be safe and effective over the short term, but show no statistical differences from control diets with higher carbohydrate content and cannot be recommended as the default treatment for people with type 2 diabetes
  • Wetcoaster
    High Fat, Low Carb Diet May Effectively Treat Schizophrenia

http://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/schizophrenia-and-psychoses/ketogenic-diet-high-fat-low-carbohydrate-schizophrenia-treatment/article/464649/

A specialized weight loss diet preferred by some bodybuilders may be effective in treating schizophrenia, according to research published in Schizophrenia Research.

Researchers from James Cook University in Australia have found that a ketogenic diet helped reduce behaviors resembling schizophrenia in mice.

They believe that this high fat, low carbohydrate diet provides alternative energy sources from ketone bodies, products of fat breakdown, thereby helping to circumvent abnormally functioning cellular energy pathways in the brains of those with schizophrenia.

The ketogenic diet has also been used since the 1920s to manage epilepsy in children until anti-seizure medications were introduced in the 1940s.

“Most of a person's energy would come from fat. So the diet would consist of butter, cheese, salmon, etc,” said Zoltan Sarnyai, MD, PhD, from James Cook University in a statement. “Initially it would be used in addition to medication in an in-patient setting where the patient's diet could be controlled.”

To see whether this high fat, low carbohydrate diet could reduce schizophrenic behaviors, the researchers fed mice a ketogenic diet for 3 weeks and induced acute NMCA receptor hypofunction by administering MK-801 (dizocilpine) to model the hypo-glutamatergic state that has been hypothesized to contribute to schizophrenia. They measured the mice's psychomotor hyperactivity and behavior, their social withdrawal, and their memory deficits.

“The social interaction and spatial working memory impairment induced by MK-801 were normalized by [the ketogenic diet],” the researchers wrote.

Compared with a control group of mice on a normal diet, they found the mice on a ketogenic diet also had lower blood glucose levels and weighed less.

“It's another advantage that it works against the weight gain, cardiovascular issues and type 2 diabetes we see as common side-effects of drugs given to control schizophrenia,” Dr Sarnyai said in a statement.

Although further studies using other animal models are needed to confirm these findings, the authors wrote that “as [a ketogenic diet] has been safely and effectively administered to humans in different pathological conditions, [this treatment] has the potential to be swiftly translated into a novel, safe and effective management of schizophrenia.”
  • Wetcoaster
    This is kind of funny

The 7 Stages of Starting a Low Carb Diet as Told By The Real Housewives

http://www.uloop.com/news/view.php/186735/The-7-Stages-of-Starting-a-Low-Carb-Diet-as-Told-By-The-Real-Housewives
  • Wetcoaster
    Metabolic Effects of High-Protein,Low-Carbohydrate Diet

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/exs150-p/150HOhighprotein.pdf
  • Wetcoaster
    One Strike against Low-Carbohydrate Diets

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/abstract/S1550-4131(15)00351-4#

There is intense controversy over whether low-carbohydrate or low-fat diets are more efficacious for weight management. Using precise methodology, Hall et al. (2015) demonstrated that a low-carbohydrate diet promoted greater fat oxidation than an isocaloric low-fat diet but, in contrast to popular speculation, did not cause greater body fat loss.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    So, @Wetcoaster, how do you really feel about low carb diets? >:)
  • Wetcoaster
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I think people should do what they can keep to long term. I am however a geek for science
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    As someone with a brother who is on the schizophrenic spectrum, I sure hope this doesn't encourage anyone to ditch their meds and go HFLC without medical supervision.
    “It's another advantage that it works against the weight gain, cardiovascular issues and type 2 diabetes we see as common side-effects of drugs given to control schizophrenia,” Dr Sarnyai said in a statement.
    While my brother did gain weight while taking Thorazine and Risperdal in a hospital setting eating hospital food, he lost it as soon as he moved home and started eating less and moving more.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I think people should do what they can keep to long term. I am however a geek for science

I love your geekiness. Fist pump!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    @Wetcoaster , Thank you for posting all of those links :+1: Very interesting stuff.
  • psuLemon
    Low Carbohydrate Diets and Type 2 Diabetes: What is the Latest Evidence?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26446553

CONCLUSION:

Recent studies suggest that low carbohydrate diets appear to be safe and effective over the short term, but show no statistical differences from control diets with higher carbohydrate content and cannot be recommended as the default treatment for people with type 2 diabetes

Appreciate the article. And while this means they wont change their standard treatment, it does mean that lchf is a viable treatment. I would say that is a win as it provides options who require treatment. Leta face it, some like and strive on restrictive diets and some like moderation.
  • Wetcoaster
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    As someone with a brother who is on the schizophrenic spectrum, I sure hope this doesn't encourage anyone to ditch their meds and go HFLC without medical supervision.
    While my brother did gain weight while taking Thorazine and Risperdal in a hospital setting eating hospital food, he lost it as soon as he moved home and started eating less and moving more.

No I doubt this study will since the results were not conclusive.