Interesting Studies: Probably low carb related in one way or another

Options

Replies

• fifiman
    fifiman Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is such a great thread. Thank you for providing all of the research studies. Very interesting and helpful.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Possible mechanism for Triglycerides cross the blood–brain barrier and induce central leptin and insulin receptor resistance

Conclusions:
    Triglycerides cross the blood–brain barrier rapidly, are found in human cerebrospinal fluid, and induce central leptin and insulin receptor resistance, decreasing satiety and cognition.

Source

Low carb is known to reduce triglycerides; is this part of the appetite suppressing effects of the diet? Truly interesting stuff this.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Channel 4: British rowers break Atlantic crossing record
    Sugar free boat, relied on ketosis.
  • YogiJear
    YogiJear Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Found this thread yesterday and have been reading voraciously since. Doesn't hurt that I'm biased towards low carbs :D Thanks for making this thread!
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    The Three-Month Effects of a Ketogenic Diet on Body Composition, Blood Parameters, and Performance Metrics in CrossFit Trainees: A Pilot Study

DXA fat mass decreased by 12.4% in KD (p = 0.053). DXA total lean body mass changes were not different between groups, although DXA dual-leg lean mass decreased in the KD group by 1.4% (p = 0.068), and vastus lateralis thickness values decreased in the KD group by ~8% (p = 0.065).
    LDL cholesterol increased ~35% in KD (p = 0.048).

Limitations and Conclusions: n=12, possible placebo effect: many of the KD participants experienced improvements in body composition and (anecdotally) many of these participants perceived themselves having more energy throughout the day, these phenomena could have motivated them to perform the exercise tests with more vigor relative to the CTL group.
    To summarize, our data suggest that a 12-week KD in recreationally-trained CrossFit trainees facilitates improvements in whole-body adiposity without compromising weightlifting, running, or aerobic performance metrics.

Source
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The Three-Month Effects of a Ketogenic Diet on Body Composition, Blood Parameters, and Performance Metrics in CrossFit Trainees: A Pilot Study

DXA fat mass decreased by 12.4% in KD (p = 0.053). DXA total lean body mass changes were not different between groups, although DXA dual-leg lean mass decreased in the KD group by 1.4% (p = 0.068), and vastus lateralis thickness values decreased in the KD group by ~8% (p = 0.065).
    LDL cholesterol increased ~35% in KD (p = 0.048).

Limitations and Conclusions: n=12, possible placebo effect: many of the KD participants experienced improvements in body composition and (anecdotally) many of these participants perceived themselves having more energy throughout the day, these phenomena could have motivated them to perform the exercise tests with more vigor relative to the CTL group.
    To summarize, our data suggest that a 12-week KD in recreationally-trained CrossFit trainees facilitates improvements in whole-body adiposity without compromising weightlifting, running, or aerobic performance metrics.

Source

Interesting study but i really wish they would control for calories and macros. Its possible thr ab litibum eating does not support training ot align to what can ovcur when switching to a KD (i.e., increased protein), albeit, in the 3 people who submitted mfp journals didnt show any changes.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Effectiveness and Safety of a Novel Care Model for the Management of Type 2 Diabetes at 1 Year: An Open-Label, Non-Randomized, Controlled Study

Source

Of the 262 patients who started the year long study, 83% finished, and of those their metabolic biomarkers and weight improved dramatically. On average their hemoglobin A1C (a long term measure of blood sugar) dropped from 7.6 to 6.3, type 2 diabetes medications other than metfromin dropped from 56.9% to 29.7%, and insulin was reduced or eliminated in 94% of subjects who started out on insulin, while sulfonylureas were eliminated entirely. Weight dropped an average of 30lbs. Insulin resistance as measured by HOMA-IR dropped by 55%, hs-CRP by 39%, and triglycerides by 24%. Though LDL did rise by 10%, HDL rose by 18% and apolipoprotein B was unchanged. -Yoni Freedhoff

• AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Mice: Butyrate reduces appetite and activates brown adipose tissue via the gut-brain neural circuit

Chronic butyrate supplementation prevented diet-induced obesity, hyperinsulinaemia, hypertriglyceridaemia and hepatic steatosis, largely attributed to a reduction in food intake. Butyrate also modestly promoted fat oxidation and activated brown adipose tissue (BAT), evident from increased utilisation of plasma triglyceride-derived fatty acids. This effect was not due to the reduced food intake, but explained by an increased sympathetic outflow to BAT.

Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Study shows how a carb-restricted diet battles fatty liver disease

They identified why the subjects showed "rapid and dramatic" reductions of liver fat and other cardiometabolic risk factors, along with marked decreases in synthesis of hepatic fat.

"We found that the diet, independently of weight-loss, induced rapid and dramatic reductions of liver fat and other cardiometabolic risk factors

Liver fat is the earliest abnormality in the pathogenesis of both NAFLD and alcoholic fatty liver disease (AFLD) due to metabolic risk factors associated with insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome in the presence or absence of alcohol consumption.

Media
    Science: An Integrated Understanding of the Rapid Metabolic Benefits of a Carbohydrate-Restricted Diet on Hepatic Steatosis in Humans

• AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Higher than expected RMR after weightloss.

Resting metabolic rate of obese patients under very low calorie ketogenic diet

The rapid and sustained weight and FM loss induced by VLCK-diet in obese subjects did not induce the expected reduction in RMR, probably due to the preservation of lean mass.

Source
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Higher than expected RMR after weightloss.

Resting metabolic rate of obese patients under very low calorie ketogenic diet

The rapid and sustained weight and FM loss induced by VLCK-diet in obese subjects did not induce the expected reduction in RMR, probably due to the preservation of lean mass.

Source

Very neat to read. Thank you.

That's one of the biggest arguments I get against ketogenic diets is that it is not lean tissue or muscle sparing, or at least much less helpful/sparing than a higher carb diet. It's nice to see that this being researcher and further backed up.

It would be interesting if they'd set up some higher carb, similar protein, lower fat controls. Would it disprove that study of the biggest loser (was it Hall's) or would there be a difference caused by fat and carb intake?

Very neat read.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    I really don't know - both Hall's and this study are so small and have so many unaccounted for variables they're both just a small piece of the puzzle (potentially, they could be meaningless too).

For what it's worth, it sounds like this supports Ludwig's position and my experience. (My TDEE seems pretty high to me and I'm not cold all of the time - both common complaints among dieters here who lose a lot of weight.)
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I really don't know - both Hall's and this study are so small and have so many unaccounted for variables they're both just a small piece of the puzzle (potentially, they could be meaningless too).

For what it's worth, it sounds like this supports Ludwig's position and my experience. (My TDEE seems pretty high to me and I'm not cold all of the time - both common complaints among dieters here who lose a lot of weight.)

It backs up my experiences too. I can lose weight (slowly) when my carbs are very low as at the same calorie level that I would gain with on a high carb diet.
  • AlabasterVerve
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Effect of Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet on 12-Month Weight Loss in Overweight Adults and the Association With Genotype Pattern or Insulin Secretion

Findings In this randomized clinical trial among 609 overweight adults, weight change over 12 months was not significantly different for participants in the HLF diet group (−5.3 kg) vs the HLC diet group (−6.0 kg), and there was no significant diet-genotype interaction or diet-insulin interaction with 12-month weight loss.

Source

STUDY DESIGN & METHODS

Participants received explicit instructions that the rate of restriction was
    not critical to the study, and that reaching the 20 grams per day in two vs. four vs. six vs.
    eight weeks was not considered to carry any advantage or disadvantage. Therefore, their rate
    could be variable and individually tailored. The instructions also included a clear statement
    that, even though 20 grams per day was the objective, any individuals who were unable to
    reach those low levels would not be dropped from the study or considered to be non-
    compliant; rather, the expectation was more consistent with the concept of the party game
    Limbo – go as low as you can go.

Once participants reached their lowest level of fat or
    carbohydrate intake, they were encouraged to maintain that level for at least a few weeks.
    There was no specific set time for maintaining the lowest level. Rather, it was explained to
    participants that the goal was to provide them with the personal experience of being
    anchored at the lowest level they could achieve and maintain, at least for a week or two.

Source
    Worth following up on to see what comes of it:
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Vox: The keto diet, explained by Julia Belluz

TL;DR Keto is fad diet du jour; no evidence it'll work for most people.

Article
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    A 65 year old woman permanently damaged her kidneys through excess oxalates after a 10 day green smoothie weight loss diet including two cups of spinach daily (which are particularly high in oxalate).
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Peter at Hyperlipid (always worth reading) on Gardner's low carb/low fat healthy food study:

End result of this is that 10% of the participants weighed more at the end of 12 months of closely supervised healthy eating by a Registered Dietitian Health Educator than they did at the start. Cracking intervention for these poor folks.

And in both the low fat and the low carb groups just under 5% (LF 4.3%, LC 3.6%) of participants developed metabolic syndrome, who had been relatively healthy before the start of the intervention. How can you manage this with "healthy" food and 22 meetings with a Registered Dietitian Health Educator? I'm impressed. If a Registered Dietitian Health Educator ever comes your way, RUN. Especially if they use the words "healthy" and "diet" in the same sentence.

Registered Dietitian Health Educators: how fat do you want to get?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Lol Just saw this. I forgot hope much I enjoy Peter's blog! :D
  • AlabasterVerve
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Effect of Distinct Lifestyle Interventions on Mobilization of Fat Storage Pools

Conclusions: Moderate weight loss alone inadequately reflects the significant lifestyle effects on atherogenic and diabetogenic fat depots. The MED/LC diet mobilizes specific ectopic fat depots, and exercise has an independent contribution to VAT loss. Fat depots exhibit diverse responsiveness and are differentially related to cardiometabolic markers. Distinct lifestyle protocols may uniquely induce fat mobilization from specific anatomic sites.

Source
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Options
    https://examine.com/nutrition/low-fat-vs-low-carb-for-weight-loss/

Year long study comparing low carb vs.low fat ad litibum eating.

Dr. Norton's discussion on the topic.

https://youtu.be/GOTVzupttyA

Essentially, it doesn't matter. Equal drop our rates, and equivalent weight loss in terms of statistical significance. So each whatever way you can stick with.