Interesting Studies: Probably low carb related in one way or another

Options

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Human Performance Outliers Podcast (Shawn Baker & Zach Bitter)

Episode 2: Zach Bitter (Endurance althlete. World and American Record Holder - Three Time National Champion - World 100 km Team USA)

Episode 8: Owen Franks (Rugby. All Blacks)
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Another Nail in the Coffin for Fish Oil Supplements

All told, fish oil supplements did not reduce the risk of coronary heart disease deaths, nonfatal heart attacks, fatal or nonfatal strokes, revascularization procedures, or all-cause mortality among the full study population. The supplements also didn’t protect against major vascular events in any subgroups, including people with a history of heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, or statin use.

Article
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    It looks like Tom Naughton's new movie based on his Fat Heads Kids book is done. He uploaded a couple of the "chapters" to youtube.

Blog: Sneak Peeks: Fat Head Kids, The Movie

Chapter two of the Fat Head Kids movie explains why getting fat is about chemistry, not character. Your body's chief engineer (named Marty Metabolism in the film) responds to chemical messages exactly as he was programmed to respond.

Chapter four: How the Fuel System Works The human body is a biological starship named The Nautilus. This chapter explains how the fuel system works. Later chapters explain how a bad diet causes the fuel system to malfunction.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Don't know if there is anything new in here, but a lot of resources in one place:

https://www.ketovale.com/low-carb-keto-diet-studies-list/
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Ketogenic Diets, Caloric Restriction, and Hormones
    L. Amber O'Hearn

Two alternate hypotheses regarding the ketogenic diet are contrasted by the supposition of the first that ketosis is a stressor, mimicking starvation, whilst the second hypothesis posits that ketosis is natural and safe, attenuating evolutionary mismatch of the modern, post-agricultural diet.

Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Modified ketogenic diet in lymphoma: A case series in the Veteran Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System.

Methods: Three lymphoma patients began the modified ketogenic diet. We provided dietary advice, limited daily carbohydrate to 20-40 grams, omitted sweets and starches. Data on their history, dietary course and clinical outcomes are presented.

Conclusions: Ketogenic diets in human lymphomas appears well tolerated and can improve symptoms, quality of life, and possibly limit tumors. Ketogenic diets may reverse the weight loss seen in terminal cancer patients with cachexia.

Source
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Always liked Amber O'Hearn. She's realistic in discussing what keto may or may not do for people. Very honest.

Thanks for the lymphoma/cancer link too. I was just discussing similar thoughts on this yesterday, and bemoaning the lack of human evidence in supplementing cancer treatment and reducing cachexia with low carb diets. :)
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Influential PREDIMED study:

Retraction and Republication: Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease with a Mediterranean Diet. N Engl J Med 2013;368:1279-90.

Source
    Media
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Re: Gary Taubes & Peter Attia's NuSi

The Collapse of a $40 Million Nutrition Science Crusade
    by Megan Molteni

It could just be the jet lag, or it could be the mental burden of having to sing for his supper, but Taubes sounds tired. “I say this to my wife all the time: ‘Maybe I’m a quack.’ All quacks are sure they’re right. Isn’t that the defining characteristic of a quack? But the fact is that we funded four studies and the three randomized trials were highly successful operationally. One of these has been published in a top journal with interesting results and I remain hopeful that we will soon see if the last two studies will move some needles. Our convictions have gotten us this far, and despite some disappointments these questions still seem vitally important to test.”

Article
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Re: Gary Taubes & Peter Attia's NuSi

The Collapse of a $40 Million Nutrition Science Crusade
    by Megan Molteni

It could just be the jet lag, or it could be the mental burden of having to sing for his supper, but Taubes sounds tired. “I say this to my wife all the time: ‘Maybe I’m a quack.’ All quacks are sure they’re right. Isn’t that the defining characteristic of a quack? But the fact is that we funded four studies and the three randomized trials were highly successful operationally. One of these has been published in a top journal with interesting results and I remain hopeful that we will soon see if the last two studies will move some needles. Our convictions have gotten us this far, and despite some disappointments these questions still seem vitally important to test.”

Article

Interesting.. not surprising, but interesting.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Yeah... not surprising. Too bad though.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Another 10 years and maybe doctors and the public will start to accept this. ;)
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Funny.

FiveThrityEight: The problem with nutrition studies
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Is it reasonable to think that a response that mainly occurs in healthy people is a cause of disease?

Not a study, but my own experience is that I had low HDL levels when I was very overweight - low to the extent of taking Simvastatin and still seeing levels in the 30's. As I lost weight, that didn't change... until I started eating low carb. At that point, HDL progressively improved to where I no longer take Simvastatin and my last HDL test was in the 80's.

In the meantime, after going low carb, LDL decreased dramatically at first. The lowest was down to 17! Now that I'm only eating meat, it has risen to 120's and my dr. is concerned this is too high... despite that HDL is 80's on the same day. I'm not quite the healthiest I've ever been, but pretty dang close. So I figure it is not worth worrying about unless it gets much higher than that.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Is it reasonable to think that a response that mainly occurs in healthy people is a cause of disease?

Not a study, but my own experience is that I had low HDL levels when I was very overweight - low to the extent of taking Simvastatin and still seeing levels in the 30's. As I lost weight, that didn't change... until I started eating low carb. At that point, HDL progressively improved to where I no longer take Simvastatin and my last HDL test was in the 80's.

In the meantime, after going low carb, LDL decreased dramatically at first. The lowest was down to 17! Now that I'm only eating meat, it has risen to 120's and my dr. is concerned this is too high... despite that HDL is 80's on the same day. I'm not quite the healthiest I've ever been, but pretty dang close. So I figure it is not worth worrying about unless it gets much higher than that.

It's interesting how diet affects cholesterol!

cholesterol levels are interesting but I think they give it too much credit. It's treated like a cause of CVD but there is just some correlation with CVD with some types of cholesterol in some populations.

High Cholesterol appears in some CVD but it doesn't cause CVD. I just think they approach it in an unfortunate way.