Interesting Studies: Probably low carb related in one way or another

Options

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Yes, I read that article when the study came out. I linked to the study design above if you haven't read it @psuLemon ... was pretty special. lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes, I read that article when the study came out. I linked to the study design above if you haven't read it @psuLemon ... was pretty special. lol

I totally missed that one.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    A spreadsheet of low carb diet studies and their summaries is being maintained by Virta Health:
    A total of 6,786 people have participated in these 76 studies. 6 have lasted 2 years or more.

• AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Not that this adds anything to nutrition "science" (in my opinion) but I thought it was interesting nonetheless just because it was published. Things change.

Global Correlates of Cardiovascular Risk: A Comparison of 158 Countries.

However, regardless of the statistical method used, the results always show very similar trends and identify high carbohydrate consumption (mainly in the form of cereals and wheat, in particular) as the dietary factor most consistently associated with the risk of CVDs. These findings are in line with the changing view of the causes of CVDs.

Source
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I wonder how much the 2020 dietary guidelines will be changed to accommodate these now accepted findings?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I wonder how much the 2020 dietary guidelines will be changed to accommodate these now accepted findings?

Probably zero, lol. Isn't one of the leading advisors Dr. MacDougall?
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

At the best of times I think the guidelines are more political than scientific and considering the US government is in shambles right now I can't even begin to guess what they'll do.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Yeah... sigh.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Yeah... sigh.

IIRC, one of the reasons the cholesterol number didn't get removed from the nutrition label was because of him. Even though there was an over abundance of evidence to support no correlation between serum and body cholesterol.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    BBC article by Soutik Biswas: The myth of the Indian vegetarian nation

Taking all this into account, say the researchers, only about 20% of Indians are actually vegetarian - much lower than common claims and stereotypes suggest.

Link
  • AlabasterVerve
    edited April 2018
    Options
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Therapeutic use of carbohydrate-restricted diets in an autistic child; a case report of clinical and 18FDG PET findings

In the case presented here, glucose hypometabolism in discrete brain structures, as revealed by 18F-FDG PET, was observed at baseline and was further decreased after the patient continued on the KD for approximately 12 months. This decrease was potentially caused by a metabolic shift from the utilization of glucose to utilization of ketone bodies as a primary source of energy (Frye and Rossignol 2014; Courchesne-Loyer et al. 2017).

Likewise, the patient’s behaviour and intellect improved when on the KD.

Further exploration will study whether autistic patients exhibiting similar glucose hypometabolism in 18F-FDG PET would attain similar clinical benefits on the KD. Of note, other medical conditions (e.g., Alzheimer’s disease, mild cognitive impairment, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) associated with glucose hypometabolism are now thought to benefit from the KD or other approaches (e.g., ketone bodies, their metabolic precursors, or medium-chain-fatty acids) that affect glucose/lipid metabolism in a way that at least partially mimics the KD (Croteau et al. 2017; Koppel and Swerdlow 2017; Paoli et al. 2014).

Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    A system view and analysis of essential hypertension

Our analysis suggests that insulin plays a primary role in hypertension, highlighting the tight link between essential hypertension and diseases associated with the metabolic syndrome.

Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Effects of a 4-Week Very Low-Carbohydrate Diet on High-Intensity Interval Training Responses

Key Points
    • A group of participants that changed from habitual mixed western-based to VLCHF diet over 4 weeks substantially increased rates of fat oxidation shown during a graded exercise test and high-intensity interval training (HIIT) session.
    • Performance and cardiorespiratory responses during a graded exercise test and HIIT were not impaired after consuming a VLCHF diet relative to a group consuming their mixed western-based diet.
    • A four-week adaptation period to a VLCHF diet preserved high-intensity exercise performance.

Source

• nvmomketo
    Options
    Nice. It's great to see more research being done on sports performance and lchf and Keto. And research that allows for a fat adaptation stage!
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Re: Typeonegrit (group that follows Dr. Bernstein's recommendations w/ excellent results).

Management of Type 1 Diabetes with a Very Low Carbohydrate Diet

Conclusions: Exceptional glycemic control of T1DM with low rates of adverse events was reported by a community of children and adults who consume a VLCD. The generalizability of these findings requires further studies, including high-quality randomized controlled trials.

Source
    Media
    Blog
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Early Time-Restricted Feeding Improves Insulin Sensitivity, Blood Pressure, and Oxidative Stress Even without Weight Loss in Men with Prediabetes

Our proof-of-concept study also constitutes the first trial of early time-restricted feeding (eTRF), a form of IF that involves eating early in the day to be in alignment with circadian rhythms in metabolism. Men with prediabetes were randomized to eTRF (6-hr feeding period, with dinner before 3 p.m.) or a control schedule (12-hr feeding period) for 5 weeks and later crossed over to the other schedule. eTRF improved insulin sensitivity, β cell responsiveness, blood pressure, oxidative stress, and appetite.

We demonstrate for the first time in humans that eTRF improves some aspects of cardiometabolic health and that IF’s effects are not solely due to weight loss.

Source