WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Linda – Welcome to our group. Make sure you bookmark the thread so that you will return every time you want to come see us. Tell us a little about yourself. Married or not, children, hobbies and such. Bookmark by clicking on the outline of the star in the upper right-hand corner of your screen; it will drop down the current month; the click on the gray star between the gray bell and gear; it will bring you to this site. Then on the last day of the month barbicat will post a link to the next month’s site. So be looking for it; then go through the same process so you will end up in the new month.

Barbiecat – I am guessing they checked you for diabetes …?

Hi to all - newbies and those here for quite a while. o:)

Bought a pair of black boots yesterday (on sale) for $29.99 at the Shoe Store. Looked like a tornado had hit that aisle. Everything was thrown on the floor - they're putting up their spring shoes. Some fit better than others. I still have thick calves so I have to buy ones with zippers in them. Pull ups never fit my feet. Some were a lot prettier; but, like these better.

Lenora

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    A week from today I will fly to Denver for my great nephews memorial service, returning the following Tuesday. I'm not really looking forward to it, but it will be nice to see my family.

I needed a dress coat to wear to the service. I went to Kohl's and they had all their coats on sale 60% off, then an additional 20% off clearance items. I had a coupon for 30% off my entire purchase. Long story short I paid $35.84 for a $160.00 coat. Score!!

Love and hugs to all, you guys are my rock and go to for inspiration. I appreciate each one of you more than you know.

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options

Barbiecat – I am guessing they checked you for diabetes …?

Lenora
    :) Yes, diabetes was the first of the zillions of things they've tested for...by the time I got to the neurologist, they'd tested for a lot of obvious stuff and he tested for a bunch more...thanks for asking.

<3 Barbie

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Penny - nice video! <3 I once went to a hospital gynie for my heavy periods. (Ended up having a hysterectomy) While I was waiting a nice, young, male student chatted away to me and asked me some history. We got on very well, chatting, laughing and joking. When I went in to see the gynie he did the exam and then asked if the student could have a feel. :sad: :sad: I said yes, but I was mightily embarassed as I'd been treating him like a social friend. Then his hands were really warm! ! ! Oooops. :embarassed: Luckily we have a lot of female doctors to choose from at our practice. You hardly ever get to see your own doctor, who is a woman in my case.

By the way, did any of you notice the Irish accent in the video clip?

Love Heather UK
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    KJ We have friends who live in India, they have a very close relationship with my husband. This is his third(!) trip to India, DD 2nd(!) trip. They are starting in Delhi with the friends for a week then on an overnight train to Mumbai (the hollywood of India) and then a few days in Dubai---what a trip. As Heather says, luxury is very affordable there, and since they have a family to show them around they get a wonderful perspective on the culture. DD loved it, but the food was a challenge to her stomach, she would say, "Mom even the tea is spicy, even the rice burned a hole in my stomach!!"

I couldn't take time away from work to go with them, but also, I haven't the stomach for that kind of intense travel...just not in me. I do hope some day to travel the world with my DD but I would need to take it slow with lots of recovery time, I am just a wimp that way.

Terri Here's a boot right back at you....I have just got to get a handle on the impulse stress eating and get a grip! I will let you know how that goes, it starts tonite!!!! After I put down this nice Italian sandwich that I got for free from lunch at work..... :#

Usually get along with DD but she is feeling all of 17 going on 21 of late and anything I say gets her eye's rolling, I have had it up to there with the attitude!

Karen from NY
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore - Did you say what part of MI you are in? I'm in the Ann Arbor area.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    <3
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, I am so sorry for what your son is going through. Has the pulmonologist said how the progression of his disease is. I would still consider that transfer and being his power of attorney you do have that right. Also when he goes home, would they let you have an oxygen container in your home and studio?

Yesterday I went out to eat with my fellow nurses from work. We try to get together once a month. Olive Garden was this months choice. I had the soup and salad. I am afraid that the 'potato' soup was not the wisest choice but oh was it good. I only had one bowl. I have had a whale of a headache for a couple of days but it was OK for me to go for lunch. When I got home it wasn't long before I decided to take a nap, That was around 1:30. I woke up this morning about 10 AM, According to my Fit bit it was a very restless sleep though. I did get p around 7 and had my usual bedtime snack only I doubled it up since I was going straight back too bed. Guess I needed that rest.

Joyce, Indiana

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,879 Member
    Options
    Hi all: Doctor's visit went well yesterday in spite of all my worry. I think she and I will get on very well together. She listened, suggested asked appropriate questions and gave me answers to mine. Now I need to schedule a mammogram and she will set me up with a pulmonary consult for the sarcoidosis. I am still on a small amount of prednisone so fighting the carb cravings that brings on for me.

I posted this some time ago but I am really needing it now so thought I might repost for those who are new since then.

Five Ds for Dealing with Cravings

Delay - Delay the urge, it usually goes away within the first five minutes.

Deep Breathing - Inhale through your nose, exhale through your mouth. This calms you and actually does good stuff in your brain and body.

Drink Water - Decreases hunger, flushes toxins, and increases dopamine levels. This is the "feel good" hormone in the brain.

Do Something - Take your mind off of your craving.

Divine Intervention - When you are DOWN to nothing, God is UP to something!

Everyone have a good day, Sue in WA
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout

Squats-1X5X 65/75/85/95/105/115, 5X5X 125
    Sumo squat-5X5X 110
    BP-1X5X 65/70/75, 5X5X 80
    0HP-1X5X 45/50/55, 5X5X 60
    BR-5X5X 85
    DL-1X5X135

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Karen ... Is this the DD who is a senior and getting ready for Geneseo in the fall? My senior son has an incredible attitude right now. There's little I say or do that doesn't cause eyes to roll. I suspect these are the chicks getting ready to leave the nest ... And their attitudes are just the thing for us to give the final push (just in case we were thinking of pulling them back in)!

Soup ... I always do really well when I have soup available ... Thanks for the reminder!

Beth near Buffalo

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    I bought an Olive Garden to go - 140 calories; then, I bought a sandwich that DH and I will split. Calculating my calories ahead .... I'm already over; but, not by too much.

I'm really tired today, for some reason; will try to read the rest of my book ... I'll probably go to sleep if I do. Then maybe it will only be a cat nap, The Five comes on in an hour. My day was a pure waste of time. Went in to town and ran some errands. Then I bought a new DVD player - I got tired of DH b******* because the old one would 'stick' usually right in the middle of a good scene. WOW! They've really gone down a lot; got it for $40

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Wow! 841 messages. I'll be scanning

As you probably know, the Skype session I had with Bryan went horrible. He blames me for everything, from the fact that I never volunteered to go see him to the fact that he didn't lose his weight in high school until he decided to. I know that at one point I said to him "Bryan, when you're ready to lose the weight, let me know and I'll help you". He never let me know, he wasn't ready until his second year in college.

Talk about stressful! His "therapist" went on and on telling me about how a child needs this and a child needs that. What does she think -- that I'm going to have another child? No, mother nature has seen to it that that isn't going to happen.

As a result, I'm thinking that all this stress brought on a seizure. Lenora -- you know where I'm coming from. The MD put me on Lamictal but the bad part is that I can't drive for 6 months. Well...this is also to see how my body reacts to this medicine. I tell you, the first day I took it, I was going to come in here, but OMG -- did I ever have abdominal pain. It seems that that's one of the side-effects of Lamictal. And did I ever have diarrhea! I had to go for my semi-annual injection of Prolia (for the osteoporosis) and I almost didn't make it to the bathroom. I did clean up the toilet and the floor, tho

I tried one day to do a step DVD, but that's too much impact (I fractured my cheekbone), so this week I've been mainly doing walking DVD's.

One good thing about the Lamictal -- at least I think that's what is causing it -- is that I seem to have lost much appetite and a desire for sweets. You know how my downfall was always raw cookie/cake/brownie batter? Well, now I have very little to no desire for it. Last night I did take one of Vince's cookies, I took one bite and threw the rest away.

I have been logging. Trying to get myself back in the groove. It's going to be weird not driving for a while, Vince and I are total opposites. As you know, I'm the person who is constantly on the go, Vince is the person who can stay home for days on end. That would drive me to drink! But he's learning about going shopping and how to bag things.

One positive to the swelling around my eye is that I can't wear my glasses so I can't see the dirt to clean it....lol Gotta look on the bright side of things.

Supposed to have another Skype session with Bryan Tuesday. I have a list of things that I definitely want to say. This is enough of him blaming me for everything -- he needs to take some personal responsibility, too. Also, I definitely want Vince to be there.

Going to FL Wednesday. Usually, I go to the Y there in the a.m. and exercise then go to the store. I know that isn't going to work for Vince so I just have to adjust

Got the stitches removed yesterday. Thank you everyone for your concern. It really made me feel wonderful! You have no idea

OK, with over 800 posts, I'm really not going to do a good job at all of catching up.

Welcome everyone new!

I root for a football team based on the color or their uniforms, too. Don't ask me anything about offense and defense, but I do like seeing those guys in the tight pants running around the field!!!

Great pics!

Thank you, Kim, for posting about what I've been up to

Joyce - I also thought that perhaps Bryan's attitude had something to do with the way people are raised in europe, so I sent his email to my friend in Switzerland. Yes, she was raised in the US but I also asked her to send it to her hubby who was raised in Switzerland. He felt that it was a lot of marlarkey, he didn't agree with it at all.

Lenora - it's only been in the past few years (like 4 or 5) that Bryan has started this "blame game" thing. He always used to take personal responsibility. Yes, it hurt, but we would let our kids fall. Like at one point Denise didn't pay her car insurance. We kept telling her that if she didn't pay it, they would and could repossess her car. I think she thought that we'd pay for it before it expired. No we didn't. And guess what happened? Yup, the car was impounded. But you know what? To this day she makes absolutely sure she has car insurance.

Heather - good idea to check this "therapist's" qualifications. Until last Tuesday, I didn't even know if it was a male or a female! Next time we skype, I'll be sure to write her name down. I know it's Rosa, but I don't remember the last name. To me, she did seem pretty unprofessional, like she was feeding more into Bryan's feelings that he needs to blame me for everything and not helping him to grown up and take some responsibility himself.

Rosie - my son is in the Island of Reunion. If you've never heard of it, don't worry. I'd never heard of it, either, until he went there. It's in the Indian Ocean, near Madagascar. It's a province of France.

Sylvia - my heart breaks for you

Margaret - if it were here, I would definitely find a different therapist. But as it is, I'm dealing with this therapist in Reunion

NC Carol - yes, I did the best I could -- for each child. Like I knew that one of Bryan's needs as he was growing up was for additional educational stimulation. At one point (when he was in first grade) he asked me to homeschool him and I was seriously thinking of doing it because I knew that was one way he could get additional stimulation. But I also knew that he was always a very shy child and he also needed social interaction. So I found out about the gifted program, I had him tested. He fell a few points short of being eligible for the program but I fought for him to go into the program. Yes, it would have been much easier on me had he not been in it. As it was, for three years I drove him to his school, Jessica to hers and Denise to hers. Because that's what Bryan needed. No way would that have been good for Denise or Jessica -- it would have been too overwhelming. Hope you feel better soon

katla - in a way I'm "afraid" to tell Bryan that this therapist is -- to me -- a quack. He'll probably take that as an indication that I don't trust his judgment. Well, the trth is that I used to, but I'm not so sure any more. Someone on here once said "what can be misconstrued will be misconstrued" and I don't want to alienate him totally. I still love him

All those not feeling well...my best for your all.

Heather - thank you for the lovely rainbow (where's the pot of gold????)

Linda - lurk all you need to --- just dont' make it too long!!!!

barbie - how I wish they found a cure for your leg pain

katla - great pic for Rori

Penny - I don't know what the health plan is over there, do you Heather? Perhaps he isn't paying this "therapist". I have no idea what he's told her, and that's why I want to have my say next time we skype. She's entitle to know the truth, not the truth according to Bryan

Mia - I did get the feeling last time (the Skype with the "therapist") that she was trying to be more on Bryan's side and she wasn't really interested in knowing me at all. Maybe that's the way the health system is over there, I don't know. I just know that I can't take it any more. Maybe I'll give some of the "blame game" right back and tell them they probably brought on this seizure.

Lenora - I have thick calves, too. I found a pair of boots at Kohl's on sale. Admitted, the box doesn't say they are waterproof. But for as often as I wear them, we have this spray stuff that supposedly makes something waterproof so as soon as the weather gets nicer, I'm going to spray them. What did you get at OG

janetr - I went to Kohl's today, got 2 pairs of earrings that were 75% off, plus I used my 20% off coupon plus I had $5 in Kohl's cash. So in the end, I paid a little over $1 for 2 pairs of earrings

phew! I think I'm sort-of caught up. My apologies to anyone that I've missed.

Michele
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    My health screen says I am like a 41yr old

lol well my brain read that as 14 yr old...hahaha.... You are in your 40's right? If you are in your 30's you can wack me later....
    Becca

I'll b 57 this yr. I think if I would have been younger had I been a little different on my answers. I put I am a moderate exercise person instead of very active

wait....Pip....if you re moderately active, then I am an Oregonian slug girl......*grins*
    Becca Slug Sunshine...in
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Becca- We made bbq chicken pizza on Naan last night for dinner! I LOVE Naan! I buy it when it goes on sale (in my area, that is nearly every week). It makes for a very easy meal and you can top it with pretty much anything! I first began buying it to go with the skordalia that I make. Have to use the plain or wheat naan for that, though, because there is so much garlic in the skordalia. Anyway, just thought it was funny...miles and miles away and we are planning the same meals! :)

Yep it seems to be in the sales area in our grocery store too! Also we qualify for the food banks in our area, and its there too. It must be a product that doesn't have a long shelf life. It keeps well in the freezer though. If I plan on having it for dinner I just put it in the frig the night before. I had sauteed some bella mushrooms, diced tomatoes, with olive oil and spices, then put in some roughly chopped spinach. It is awesome on a Naan! I always put the Naan bread under the broiler with a wee bit of olive oil to harden it up a bit before I top it with anything. What is Skordalia?
    Becca
    Your Naan sister in
    Oregon
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Hello All. Anyone 5'3 and under, trying to lose the last few pounds (less than 10) and eating over 1200 calories?!