WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've just done 3 days of Norwegian in one go! Trouble is I will have forgotten it by tomorrow. I have committed to 5 mins a day.

KJ - You've nothing to lose with Duolingo as it's free!!!!!!! :drinker: Wish I'd known about it before. Great that you did all those languages at school. :flowerforyou:
    I have good French, fairly good Spanish, a bit of Italian and a tiny bit of German and Portuguese. Now I have a micro bit of Norwegian! :laugh: The pronunciation is the thing. Even if you are just asking for a coffee you want to say it properly. :DB)
    I also watch a lot of foreign films from Lovefilm /Amazon. I get two DVDS a month. Subtitled, of course! :noway: Must try to find a Norwegian film. :noway:

I will write this afternoon. Promise. o:)

Having Chicken in black bean sauce tonight. With snowpeas. Yummo!

Love Heather UK
    I've just done 3 days of Norwegian in one go! Trouble is I will have forgotten it by tomorrow. I have committed to 5 mins a day.

KJ - You've nothing to lose with Duolingo as it's free!!!!!!! :drinker: Wish I'd known about it before. Great that you did all those languages at school. :flowerforyou:
    I have good French, fairly good Spanish, a bit of Italian and a tiny bit of German and Portuguese. Now I have a micro bit of Norwegian! :laugh: The pronunciation is the thing. Even if you are just asking for a coffee you want to say it properly. :DB)
    I also watch a lot of foreign films from Lovefilm /Amazon. I get two DVDS a month. Subtitled, of course! :noway: Must try to find a Norwegian film. :noway:

I will write this afternoon. Promise. o:)

Having Chicken in black bean sauce tonight. With snowpeas. Yummo!

Love Heather UK

Sorry this is copying twice! Heather, have you seen Troll? It is one weird Norwegian movie.
    Betty
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    3nz6d1ko138i.jpeg
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning, all! I got up at 4am to shovel and the predicted foot of snow we were supposed to get, never came! Yea! Then, the mother of my early morning arrival called and is keeping her sick daughter home, today (Thank you!). SO...I have three hours until the next child arrives! Whoot! Very wisely, I am wasting my time online! LOL! As the day goes on, I am sure I will feel this was a bad idea and should have been doing something more productive; but for now, another cup of coffee and yes-I-will-watch-another-music-video-thank-you! On that note (music videos):
    Happy Friday everyone! Friday dancing in the kitchen! Whoot!

I don't think you are wasting your time this morning!! If you make too much noise you may wake up other people and they might be grouchy :D ...so best to sit quietly and enjoy the online chatter!!

Lillian in Saskatchewan - where it is FREE Ice Fishing weekend!! You can take your Valentine Ice Fishing and not have to buy a fishing license.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Karen in NY I agree - make a big pot of soup. I prefer broth based soups - the creamy ones tend to drag me down even farther than I already am. And they keep longer - because I don't like to cook when I am in the doldrums. Enjoy the weekend with your sister.

Lillian in Saskatchewan
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Taking minestrone soup and a few triscuts with me for lunch, Faith and I will have salad with a chicken cutlet cut into it and she will have her ranch dressing :) Jean happy to see Sean and they went out for a nice dinner last night.Sean is planning on doing the whole 90 days so won't be home until mid April..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    In need of oxygen today!

:heart: Margaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Betty: I talked DH into signing up for MFP on his own. He is not as diligent as me by a long ways, but he has things set up for himself with his own calorie allotment and other goals. :smiley:

Sylvia: I am so happy that your son is getting appropriate medical care now & and apology. I like the picture of your dogs. :flowerforyou: I :heart: the old ladies who took an hour to get the leotard on. Thank goodness we don't wear leotards at yoga! I'm sure NOBODY would come. :noway: :wink:

KJLaMore: I never think of time spent here as wasted. :noway: I'm happy that you get some early morning time to yourself today.

Heather: I downloaded Duolingo and completed my first Spanish lesson. Thanks for telling us about this app! :bigsmile:

Margaret: I'd send oxygen if I could. I hope your day goes well. :flowerforyou:

Yoga today is with my favorite teacher. Yay! On the bad news side, I brewed a pot of fresh coffee this morning and it is thin. The coffee pot was set to medium instead of robust. Bleah! I've changed it and hope it keeps its programming so the next pot is better.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

Goals
    1. Find a place I can learn to fall without getting hurt once my doctor says it is ok to try.

30881843.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, too funny, that's me every morning putting on my thigh high compression stockings. :)

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    In need of oxygen today!

:heart: Margaret

Sending warm thots and prayers for your well being. (((Hugs)))

Janetr okc
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday ! ! !

Sylvia – I think recording conversations sounds like a perfect idea. In fact, if you take out your phone and say “wait, I’m going to record this” everyone will behave almost immediately. Hugs and Prayers ! ! ! // Cute cartoon about the leotard. Thanks !

Pip – Hooray for “being” 41 ! ! !

Lillian – DH and I LOVE Big Bang Theory ! ! ! Last night was definitely a good one (confetti).

Betty,Beth, etc – We are 18 degrees right now, and are only expecting to reach a high of 6 tomorrow. Hot tea and coffee for me for awhile.

Karen – Here’s my boot ! Now kick me back ! Thanks ! ! !

I haven't been cheating, but I could be making wiser choices. Unfortunately things got in the way of exercise yesterday, but I am already back on track today. I'm going to try the handbike during lunch, but since I'm having and RA flare in my elbow, I'm keeping an open mind about the regular bike instead.

DS struggled at the Challenge yesterday, only averaging 194 for the day. The 4 boys who are going to State averaged 235 and up. He did hear the compliment in a coach saying "it's about time someone finally beat Payne." He will likely be joining their team at Nationals this summer. If that happens I will have to take the train either to or from Indianapolis, because I don't have any extra vacation time.

Tomorrow is basketball, then a concert by an Up-and-coming country band Bella Caine. Sunday is another bowling tournament. Knowing which kids are bowling together, I expect more ruckus than high scores, so we should be laughing more than clapping, and that's okay sometimes too ! ! !

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    i84ghwccciod.jpg

Rori: I saw this on facebook and thought of you.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Katla, what a neat memento pillow!

Sending hugs to Margaret.

I am taking a day off from logging food since I am eating lunch at the India Cafe. Impossible to figure out all the ingredients. But I focus on the vegetable curries, and HOT pickles, cilantro chutney. Yum yum. Skipping breakfast. So hopefully it doesn't destroy me! LOL Anyway, meeting my African friend there.

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    i84ghwccciod.jpg

Rori: I saw this on facebook and thought of you.

I saw this just this morning, also! I sent it to my daughter, who still has all of her scout sashes, etc. This is a great idea! We already made all of her high school and college "club/sport tee shirts" into two quilts; but we couldn't figure out what to do with the scout stuff! Brilliant!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Katla - Hooray for you! :drinker: Fun, isn't it!
    That's terrible about the coffee. :'( I've got so the only coffee I like to drink is our own. Very strong. We do half milk. Even in France the coffee is too weak for us. I usually choose something else in a café. In England always tea. One or two places do a decent espresso. :) I only have one mug of coffee a day, after our exercises. o:)

Talking of exercises, I upped my dumbbell weight today for the first time in ages. I'm up to 9 kgs each for bicep curls etc, so that's the equivalent of a 40 lb bar. I sit down though, to protect my dodgy knee. ;) I could definitely feel the difference in my breathing and couldn't do as many as I could with the 7.5 kgs. No ill effects though. :)

And I did my writing! Hooray! :drinker: That always makes my day. :D

Margaret - blowing some your way! <3

The "Place In The Sun - Winter Sun " this afternoon is in Costa Rica. That's somewhere we have often thought of visiting. DH especially as he loves birds.

KJ - we have been to India twice and Sri Lanka just last year. Adore them. :love: We went on an individually tailored tour, just us and our driver in a nice car. Fabulous hotels. It certainly wasn't the most expensive holidays we have been on because luxury is very cheap over there and drivers don't earn anything like the Western rates. We gave a good tip for excellent service.

Love to all, Heather UK

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Sending masses of good thoughts to everyone who needs them, but especially Michele and Sylvia.

Michele, I agree that the therapist sounds bogus. Obviously I can't be certain, not having seen or heard any of these exchanges first hand, but my interpretation is that she is "reading" what your son wants her to say and then saying it in exchange for his money. If that is what's going on, it isn't pretty.

Sylvia, I can't imagine the pain you must be going through. It was heartbreaking to read how you recalled listening to your son's breathing when he was a baby. I hope everyone's situation improves and - especially - that the hospital staff start behaving in a more professional and ethically responsible manner.

I visited the doctor myself today for a PAP smear. For the past couple months, the doctor I usually see has been singing in the choir. I'm not prudish, but now that we've discussed the relative merits of Schubert and Schütz and agreed that the former can't hold a candle to the latter... now that I've interacted socially with him and his wife and played with their charming two-year-old... now I don't feel comfortable letting him dig around in my nether regions. So I asked for an appointment with the female doctor. (I meet her socially too, but that's a whole other ball game.) Ah, the small-town life...

Heather, thanks for mentioning the BBC Earth's greatest spectacle. I Googled it and watched this marvelous trailer http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03hnfr9 That was the only trailer that worked for me, probably because of copyright/distribution issues.

The crying of terns epitomizes summer to me, so that's what I paid most attention to, not the sound track. Terns are exactly as fearless and aggressive as the trailer shows and I admire them no end. They will probably just have arrived when you get here in early June. They won't have laid eggs yet so their aggressiveness won't be at its peak. Still, if you like, I can show you how to prevent them from hacking holes in your head. B)
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Heather, my brother-in-law is an anthropologist who does research in Sri Lanka. So my sister and her kids have gone with him several times. I had a pen pal in high school from this small village on the northeast coast. This brother-in-law is the same one who lectured at U of Cambridge for five years. I have always longed to go too.
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - I's so glad to have gotten to the update that your son is doing better and being moved out of ICU. I'll be thinking of you and holding you in my heart today.

Michelle - Thinking of you and holding you in my heart as well. Sending you healing wishes. I was appalled when I read about how the therapist lit into you. Sounds like someone who is trying to send a message to your son that they are on his side without the very necessary message that he needs to step up and take responsibility for his own actions. I hope you will find a way to walk through this emotional minefield and come out with your own sense of self worth intact as well as being able to mend your relationship with your son.

Mia in MI