Do you even kale?

Options

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    Kale is fine....I use it chopped in salads. If growing, either ver young or after frost it loses bitterness. Baby kale is even better for salads.

That said, we much prefer the variety of Asian greens...plus as they are a staple at most Asian grocers they are a far less expensive than traditional NA veggies.

We go through tons of greens like choi, gai lan, choi sum, amaranth leaves, snow lea shoots, water spinach....plus the fun veggies like lotus root or luffa.

I love going to the Asian market to get things. They have big bags of different kinds of choi (I can never remember all the varieties) and other greens very cheap. I have some now that was $3 and it's enough for me and my dog for the week (I make 99% of his food). I also scored a good sized bag of thai chilies for about a dollar that I'll put in the freezer and will last me months. Tofu things are also so cheap. But the greens....cheap and so delicious.

Eta: Brussel sprouts are wonderful if pan sauteed or roasted with some garlic, salt, olive oil and sun dried tomatoes...and horrible if boiled lol.
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The only way I can eat it is when I make it into Kale chips. Otherwise I am a spinach girl. Wish I did like it more.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    huffingtonpost.com/entry/kale-health-benefits_us_56b0b259e4b0fbfdd6152a16

I think there is some duped info that's already been posted here.
    I had a wicked Kale caesar salad once.
    I'll eat it if it's there but I also lean to the spinach side over kale.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nope

It's just greens

Used to be cheap cattle fodder until it was picked up as a "superfood"

So what? If we never ate food that animals eat we'd starve.

5d4f466fbe0fa5b3c0d243a04f7f64d2.jpg
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Healthy fast food? McDonald's kale salad has more calories than a Double Big Mac

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mcdonalds-kale-calorie-questions-1.3423938
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Healthy fast food? McDonald's kale salad has more calories than a Double Big Mac

^^That isn't the kale, it is the dressing and croutons.

• summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nope

It's just greens

Used to be cheap cattle fodder until it was picked up as a "superfood"

One born every minute

Yup!!..Let the cows eat it.....then I'll eat the cows lol only way I'd eat the crap!!!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Yes I know.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Mmm. No. Not a fan, it's gross, and I LOVE my veggies
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Though one could potentially argue that the latter are required to make the former palatable.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I think kale and most bitter greens taste good, but I legitimately like the taste (although, I started trying it because of all the superfood hype). Now, I just love bitter greens. My new two favorites are lacinato kale (it holds up to how badly I overcook it) and mustard greens (awesome with just a tiny bit of lemon juice added toward the end, then I eat a big pile of it with some runny fried eggs on top). The other night, we did kale that we started with chopped bacon and put in a butt-ton of minced garlic at the end, so it was still nice and spicy. Worth it.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    And I rarely ever cook it with bacon. This just happened to be made on a meat-centric evening.
  • snowflake930
    Options

Though one could potentially argue that the latter are required to make the former palatable.

LOL, I guess I would have to agree with this, however, I opt to skip the kale part of it, then I might as well have a Big Mac.

• cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    People with hypothyroidism shouldn't eat cruciferous vegetables within 2 hours of taking their thyroid meds. And even then they should have it cooked.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    People with blood clots or tendencies toward clots need to cut down on the bitter greens, as they "thicken" your blood. It sucked when I had a blood clot. I didn't even know fairly active people could get blood clots at a young age, but I guess that just proves my ignorance.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Barf!!!

Spinach way better!! ;)
  • olimadmom
    olimadmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kale-anti-inflammatory-full-of-antioxidants.jpg

Once I find a typo ("Inflammitory"), I lose all respect and question the veracity of the rest of the content.
  • snowflake930
    Options
    olimadmom wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kale-anti-inflammatory-full-of-antioxidants.jpg

Once I find a typo ("Inflammitory"), I lose all respect and question the veracity of the rest of the content.

LOL, poor editing.

I lost my respect for it when I tasted it though...........nasty stuff..........yuk

• summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    People with blood clots or tendencies toward clots need to cut down on the bitter greens, as they "thicken" your blood. It sucked when I had a blood clot. I didn't even know fairly active people could get blood clots at a young age, but I guess that just proves my ignorance.

Yup this is very true and something we have to be conscious of in our house my partner is on blood thinners and after we eat greens his I and R gets thrown out of whack!!! 30% of the population has blood with a tendency to clot it's only those that have have a crush injury (what's happened to my partner) and DVT (my partner has also had 3 of due to crush injury) that will actually even find out about the issue! Most will never need medication or will never even know or need to worry about it! :smile:
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    It was so weird to me, because I hadn't been sedentary (working out once per day, twice a day at least three times a week), I don't eat insane amounts of cruciferous veggies, I hadn't sat on a plane for 14 hours or something like that. It just happened. Turned out it just happened to dad, too, about five years earlier. I'd say getting older sucks, but I saw 16-18 year-olds at the clinic, too. Life, I suppose...