The cleaner you eat, the less you enjoy processed flavours?!

Options

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I notice some things a lot more now than I did before. Especially when I eat something that is processed. Sodium is one thing I really notice as I cook mostly from scratch and never add salt to anything as I prefer to use spices and herbs. I do notice after taste on some things that I do use, the item that comes immediately to mind is parmesan crisps that are just parmesan baked into a 3" circle. I make them myself now, but the commercial ones definitely have an off taste.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    So for that example. ... The more actual strawberries I eat, the less I enjoy false strawberry flavours ( and I used to adore it, strawberry center chocs, strawberry icecream, strawberry yoghurt etc) which was sad when I got excited about a strawberry milkshake the other day and really it wasn't as nice as I remember.

Some of those items probably have "natural" strawberry flavor though -- my point is that the "artificiality" of the flavor probably isn't an issue (unless you're using in a different way than usual).

You may like strawberries, but dislike strawberry-flavored items (whether that flavor is natural or artificial).
    I like strawberries, and the naturally flavored Stonyfield Strawberry yogurt, and will have to do a blind taste test of one that is artificially flavored.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    disagree...

and how are you defining processed foods?

You do realize that the protein shake that you are drinking is highly processed, right?

I re-phrased earlier and changed to specify artificial flavours verses natural ones. Believe me I've been doing this for nearly 3 years now I'm nicely educated, i always thought my mum was crazy for saying "the less I eat crisps the less I enjoy them" but I now fully understand!

i eat fresh strawberries and I eat strawberry yogurt and they both taste fine to me, and i have no issues with them..

it seems you issue is more a "feels one" in that you feel one is bad and one is good, so you have convinced yourself that the bad one tastes bad, an the good one tastes good...just my two cents...
    What brand of yogurt are you eating?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I COMPLETELY agree! I think it applies with "healthy eating" in general. Starting in 6th grade I was a moderately clean eater. I tried to avoid terribly processed foods like McDonald's, and overly sugary foods like milk shakes, donuts, etc. Now that I'm an adult, I've taken it to another level. I haven't eaten fast food in probably two-years and never crave it. I always say no to pizza when presented with the option. I rarely crave sweets (other than fruit or Raisin Bran Crunch - my weakness) and it's a great feeling. I do get "shamed" a lot when we go out to eat and I order salad (dressing and cheese/croutons on the side) and salmon or something of that manner, while everyone else is opting for pasta and cheese filled dishes. I always try to explain, I'm not just dieting, I really actually CRAVE salads and lean fish/poultry. I'm not gonna lie, I occassionally give in to a brownie ice cream sundae or chocolate strawberries though ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Disagree. I used to compete and the bland "clean" food I had to eat was not that enjoyable. Yes you can spice it up a little, but it's NOTHING like being able to down a pizza and burgers in the mandatory after comp meal binge that most competitors do. People smiling all the way around.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Do you still disagree now that she has clarified that she is talking about artificial flavors?

I don't think the average person can taste the difference between a natural flavor and an artificial flavor though . . . they often have the exact same components.

I can totally detect artificial vanilla and almond extracts in baked goods.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    So for that example. ... The more actual strawberries I eat, the less I enjoy false strawberry flavours ( and I used to adore it, strawberry center chocs, strawberry icecream, strawberry yoghurt etc) which was sad when I got excited about a strawberry milkshake the other day and really it wasn't as nice as I remember.

Some of those items probably have "natural" strawberry flavor though -- my point is that the "artificiality" of the flavor probably isn't an issue (unless you're using in a different way than usual).

You may like strawberries, but dislike strawberry-flavored items (whether that flavor is natural or artificial).
    I like strawberries, and the naturally flavored Stonyfield Strawberry yogurt, and will have to do a blind taste test of one that is artificially flavored.
    disagree...

and how are you defining processed foods?

You do realize that the protein shake that you are drinking is highly processed, right?

I re-phrased earlier and changed to specify artificial flavours verses natural ones. Believe me I've been doing this for nearly 3 years now I'm nicely educated, i always thought my mum was crazy for saying "the less I eat crisps the less I enjoy them" but I now fully understand!

i eat fresh strawberries and I eat strawberry yogurt and they both taste fine to me, and i have no issues with them..

it seems you issue is more a "feels one" in that you feel one is bad and one is good, so you have convinced yourself that the bad one tastes bad, an the good one tastes good...just my two cents...
    What brand of yogurt are you eating?

The Stonyfield yogurt that I just looked up also contains strawberry juice -- comparing a yogurt with strawberry juice and strawberry flavor (which the Stonyfield is) isn't going to be useful unless the yogurt with artificial flavors also contains strawberry juice. If the Stonyfield tastes better to an individual eater, it could well be because the natural flavor in the yogurt is accentuating the strawberry juice.

That's typically what both natural and artificial flavors are added to do -- accentuate the ingredients in the product.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I quit eating baked goods/cookies/sweets, etc.- basically since the piece of rum cake I had at Christmas. I ate one of my sons doughnut holes the other day and HOLY MOLY! No way could I eat an entire doughnut - or even a second hole. My taste for sweets has changed since I quit eating them. Not in the sense of the whole artificial/natural debate. Just the less I eat of something the less I actually want it I guess- as it applies to sugar.

Pizza, however, will NEVER apply. It will always taste good! :)

So I can sorta agree that our palate changes- regardless of how we describe our food.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just get annoyed because as soon as someone starts asking questions with the words "eating healthy" they just get piled on by people who want to state that there is no such thing as unhealthy food. If you look at the nutritional content of 100 calories of broccoli compared to 100 calories of steak, it isn't even close. The broccoli even has more protein per calorie. Not the mention the fact that 100 calories of broccoli is actually enough to make you feel like you ate something. So this dominating tendency of people to get hammered for seeking out information about "eating healthy" seems silly.

I do my best to adhere to a nutritarian lifestyle but nothing that is made for the masses is going to fit perfectly for the individual, so the middle ground is to take the information, do your own research and experiment until you find what works for you. Am I going to completely stop eating processed food/animal products? No, I'm not but when I indulge in food that I know isn't good for me that food will be the exception, eating it will be premeditated and it won't be what dominates my diet.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Why does Pizza get thrown into the mix so much in these discussions? Dough, meat, vegetables and cheese. Yeah sounds evil.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My tastebuds have indeed evolved after I started to eat better - more home cooked food, made from scratch, more naturally occuring fats, more variety - now I pick up the sweetness in vegetables, I appreciate the distinct difference between grape varities, the aroma of grains, milk tastes like ice cream, beef has a cream note, lamb an acidic. I'm willing to pay more for better quality and I hunt for exciting produce. I'm currently eating a cauliflower that tastes like cream would have tasted, if cream were a vegetable!

It's not that sweets and fast food taste awful, it's just that it has lost its appeal, I prefer real food and have so much to try that I don't have much room for junk.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    UG77 wrote: »
    I just get annoyed because as soon as someone starts asking questions with the words "eating healthy" they just get piled on by people who want to state that there is no such thing as unhealthy food. If you look at the nutritional content of 100 calories of broccoli compared to 100 calories of steak, it isn't even close. The broccoli even has more protein per calorie. Not the mention the fact that 100 calories of broccoli is actually enough to make you feel like you ate something. So this dominating tendency of people to get hammered for seeking out information about "eating healthy" seems silly.

I do my best to adhere to a nutritarian lifestyle but nothing that is made for the masses is going to fit perfectly for the individual, so the middle ground is to take the information, do your own research and experiment until you find what works for you. Am I going to completely stop eating processed food/animal products? No, I'm not but when I indulge in food that I know isn't good for me that food will be the exception, eating it will be premeditated and it won't be what dominates my diet.

Are you saying you consider steak to be an unhealthy food? I don't really understand comparing steak and broccoli. They both seem like foods that can help a person meet their macro and micronutrient goals.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I'm the opposite. I enjoy everything for what it is. Whether it's a fresh strawberry or a strawberry filling in a candy it's all delicious. Especially since using MFP and knowing no matter what I eat, as long as I'm in a deficit, it's ok. No guilt for me or negative connotations with any foods so I enjoy everything in moderation and am happy. Life is too short.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Disagree. I used to compete and the bland "clean" food I had to eat was not that enjoyable. Yes you can spice it up a little, but it's NOTHING like being able to down a pizza and burgers in the mandatory after comp meal binge that most competitors do. People smiling all the way around.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This. Prep diet sucks. Processed food for ftw lol
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    tedrickp wrote: »
    Why does Pizza get thrown into the mix so much in these discussions? Dough, meat, vegetables and cheese. Yeah sounds evil.

As evil as steak? I'm lost since as far as I know, there is no artificially flavored steak.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I agree op, I much prefer fresh fruit and vegetables to processed, artificial stuff. A lot of ready made meals taste "fake" to me and too sweet or salty
    Even my coffee and oatmeal is too sweet if I use the amount of sugar I used to
    I love cooking from scratch with fresh produce and home grown herbs and veggies
  • WishfulThinking0
    WishfulThinking0 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't enjoy fast food and never have lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

To an extent, I agree...but the problem with these conversations is evident right here in your post. You apparently consider animal products to be inherently unhealthy...I fully disagree...and while broccoli may have more protein per calorie, eating a bunch of broccoli isn't going to get me to 120 - 145 grams of protein per day...lean sourced protein from animal products IMO is a completely healthy and nutritionally valid part of a balanced diet.

There was another poster who mentioned gluten as "un-clean" and "bad"...in reality it's just a naturally occurring protein which most people don't actually have an issue with...but, marketing is marketing.

The other issue here is that when people say there aren't "bad" foods, they're generally suggesting that maybe people should look at their diets in the whole rather than isolating some food or one particular meal or whatever...they generally suggest that while there are no "bad" foods, there are most certainly "bad" diets. I will be first to shout from the mountain tops that people should be eating more whole, nutrient dense foods and that these foods should make up the majority of one's diet overall....but I'll also be the first to shout from the mountain tops that having my little coconut gelato after dinner a few nights per week is pretty irrelevant to the whole of my diet.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't experienced this. I eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, baked chicken and fish. And I enjoy eating all that. But I also fit in fast food on occasion, drink a few sodas a week, just ate lots of frozen, processed appetizers at a Super Bowl party, and all of those were delish too.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think the difference may be if people are buying their fruit from the grocery store or growing it themselves/buying it from a local grower. Most of the stuff I buy in the grocery store is ok, but it isn't the explosion of flavor of stuff I can get from my parents garden or my own garden when I am able to plant one.
    Tomatoes, berries, citrus fruits all taste so much more vibrant not from the grocery store.
    I prefer to have the actual thing, but the flavoring doesn't bother me that much. Fast food I already really can't stand, but I have become really sensitive to sodium.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

because there is no such thing as unhealthy foods, only unhealthy diets.

100 calories of steak = 100 calories of broccoli from an energy standpoint; however, they do not have the same nutritional profile.

And are you really saying that steak is "unhealthy"????
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Oh really?

d25377c84801e2f4446cb89e5a26a1b4.png

I just get annoyed when someone posts misinformation.