The cleaner you eat, the less you enjoy processed flavours?!

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    UG77 wrote: »
    I just get annoyed because as soon as someone starts asking questions with the words "eating healthy" they just get piled on by people who want to state that there is no such thing as unhealthy food. If you look at the nutritional content of 100 calories of broccoli compared to 100 calories of steak, it isn't even close. The broccoli even has more protein per calorie. Not the mention the fact that 100 calories of broccoli is actually enough to make you feel like you ate something. So this dominating tendency of people to get hammered for seeking out information about "eating healthy" seems silly.

I do my best to adhere to a nutritarian lifestyle but nothing that is made for the masses is going to fit perfectly for the individual, so the middle ground is to take the information, do your own research and experiment until you find what works for you. Am I going to completely stop eating processed food/animal products? No, I'm not but when I indulge in food that I know isn't good for me that food will be the exception, eating it will be premeditated and it won't be what dominates my diet.

because there is no such thing as unhealthy foods, only unhealthy diets.

100 calories of steak = 100 calories of broccoli from an energy standpoint; however, they do not have the same nutritional profile.

And are you really saying that steak is "unhealthy"????

You must feel like a broken record by now, having to repeat that there's a difference between plain calories and micro/macro content over and over again.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    So for that example. ... The more actual strawberries I eat, the less I enjoy false strawberry flavours ( and I used to adore it, strawberry center chocs, strawberry icecream, strawberry yoghurt etc) which was sad when I got excited about a strawberry milkshake the other day and really it wasn't as nice as I remember.

Some of those items probably have "natural" strawberry flavor though -- my point is that the "artificiality" of the flavor probably isn't an issue (unless you're using in a different way than usual).

You may like strawberries, but dislike strawberry-flavored items (whether that flavor is natural or artificial).

I'll disagree.

I can tell the difference between naturally flavored and artificially flavored items for at least some flavors. Vanilla is a big one - I can distinguish real vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste from vanillin a mile away. So is orange. I actually prefer artificial orange flavoring to the mix or natural orange oils and extracts they use to flavor orange juice these days. I can definitely tell artificial marshmallow flavoring from real marshmallow even with real marshmallows present (Toll House hot cocoa cookies - couldn't eat them, the filling tasted too 'off' even with real marshmallows throughout)
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Not me, man. I love a good, wholesome, home-cooked meal just as much as a Big Mac. Bring it all on!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    So for that example. ... The more actual strawberries I eat, the less I enjoy false strawberry flavours ( and I used to adore it, strawberry center chocs, strawberry icecream, strawberry yoghurt etc) which was sad when I got excited about a strawberry milkshake the other day and really it wasn't as nice as I remember.

Some of those items probably have "natural" strawberry flavor though -- my point is that the "artificiality" of the flavor probably isn't an issue (unless you're using in a different way than usual).

You may like strawberries, but dislike strawberry-flavored items (whether that flavor is natural or artificial).

I'll disagree.

I can tell the difference between naturally flavored and artificially flavored items for at least some flavors. Vanilla is a big one - I can distinguish real vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste from vanillin a mile away. So is orange. I actually prefer artificial orange flavoring to the mix or natural orange oils and extracts they use to flavor orange juice these days. I can definitely tell artificial marshmallow flavoring from real marshmallow even with real marshmallows present (Toll House hot cocoa cookies - couldn't eat them, the filling tasted too 'off' even with real marshmallows throughout)

I'm not talking about vanilla extract though -- I'm talking about ingredients like "natural flavor" that are vanilla flavored. I can also taste the difference between vanilla and vanillin.
  • stevencloser
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I just get annoyed because as soon as someone starts asking questions with the words "eating healthy" they just get piled on by people who want to state that there is no such thing as unhealthy food. If you look at the nutritional content of 100 calories of broccoli compared to 100 calories of steak, it isn't even close. The broccoli even has more protein per calorie. Not the mention the fact that 100 calories of broccoli is actually enough to make you feel like you ate something. So this dominating tendency of people to get hammered for seeking out information about "eating healthy" seems silly.

I do my best to adhere to a nutritarian lifestyle but nothing that is made for the masses is going to fit perfectly for the individual, so the middle ground is to take the information, do your own research and experiment until you find what works for you. Am I going to completely stop eating processed food/animal products? No, I'm not but when I indulge in food that I know isn't good for me that food will be the exception, eating it will be premeditated and it won't be what dominates my diet.

Oh really?

d25377c84801e2f4446cb89e5a26a1b4.png

I just get annoyed when someone posts misinformation.

The steak entry was off. Here's a better one, checked from the pack I'm gonna make for Dinner today. With brussel sprouts, not broccoli.

fd0204a127f81546b26d331b0c5ea079.png

Still twice as much protein per calorie. And if you're going by weight it's not even a contest anymore.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Alright alright man its impossible to use any terms on here ! I'll re -phrase, the less artificial flavours I consume the less I enojoy them!

Often true, IME. Lots of processed foods (including plenty of doughnuts, as well as the smoked salmon and feta cheese I like to have with my vegetable omelet) don't have artificial flavors, however. Being a sweets snob makes it easier for me not to be tempted in a lot of situations, but it's not like there aren't lots of high cal foods that are still extremely tasty -- well, to me, anyway. And I'm glad they are, as I'd be bummed if I couldn't enjoy a homemade fruit pie on a holiday with family and friends.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I'll disagree- Doritos and Cheetos will always be good.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Especially the cycle of processed (fatty) food, and the change in taste with more percentage of fresh fruit and veg. I also find the longer I'm out of a fatty cycle, the more amazing, beautiful and varied cooking I do too which again helps boost the motivation to fuel myself correctly.

I've pretty much always enjoyed cooking with fresh veg, legumes, eating fruit, experimenting with different cuisines and good ingredients, so haven't really noticed a major shift in palate. Haven't liked fast food or lots of super greasy foods since I was a kid (I will devour and enjoy some fish and chips or well-made pulled pork, though, among other things). I agree that you tend to crave what you are used to eating, and I do crave foods that are pretty consistent with how I eat (pork chop and brussels, perhaps). I always wonder if the people who claim to have had a shift in palate were eating quite differently before (i.e., didn't really eat the kinds of foods I naively assume everyone does, to some extent, like fruit, vegetables, balanced meals, well-cooked with herbs and spices).
  • stevencloser
    Options
    I don't think they use much artificial flavors in Germany. Definitely not as much as in the US. But I still enjoy the occasional Fast Food or whatever as much as I like a fresh steak with roasted brussel sprouts. Mmmh, brussel sprouts.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Without arguing the terms "clean, processed, and artificial" the best I can say is this:

The more vegetables and lean proteins with herbs, spices, and vinegar I eat, the better they taste. But butter, bread, and cheese also start to taste better, and still I try to eat moderate amounts of them.

Some fast food will bother me after I watch my calories and macros for a while, some won't. Some baked goods with insanely high shelf lives can taste "off," but a bag of chocolate donuts that could survive nuclear holocaust will still taste wonderful.

Since there's no super clear line between "good" and "bad," I cannot blatantly agree. Since Little Debbie Swiss Cakes now taste like ashes and gall, while a baked sweet potato sounds amazing, I cannot totally disagree either.

And now I want a bag of donuts and whole milk.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    I just get annoyed because as soon as someone starts asking questions with the words "eating healthy" they just get piled on by people who want to state that there is no such thing as unhealthy food. If you look at the nutritional content of 100 calories of broccoli compared to 100 calories of steak, it isn't even close. The broccoli even has more protein per calorie. Not the mention the fact that 100 calories of broccoli is actually enough to make you feel like you ate something.

So broccoli=healthy; steak=not healthy? Hmm.

I'd have a hard time eating enough calories or protein with just broccoli or other green vegetables, and probably wouldn't feel well. Steak has protein, is delicious, and goes really well with some broccoli and sweet potato. Dismissing a meal of steak, broccoli, and sweet potato as not healthy, because broccoli alone has more micronutrients per calorie than the steak and sweet potato seems like a really misguided way to approach nutrition, to me.

And again, I'd be bummed if my palate changed so that steak no longer tastes good. I can like both steak and broccoli.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I'll disagree.

I'm not talking about vanilla extract though -- I'm talking about ingredients like "natural flavor" that are vanilla flavored. I can also taste the difference between vanilla and vanillin.

I can distinguish those as 'not vanilla extract/paste' as well. In my head, I tend to lump those in with artificial flavorings even though the components are natural. I can distinguish between natural vanilla flavoring and vanillin, too. Vanillin is really far off of what it should taste like. Natural vanilla flavoring is still not right but less harsh tasting than vanillin and lacking the complexity of actual vanilla.

Basically, for some flavors I can tell the difference between a flavor made mainly from the actual thing, and a flavoring put together by humans to mimic the taste of that thing regardless of the naturalness or artificiality of the components. It doesn't say anything about which I prefer for a particular flavoring, though.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Of course you change your tastes by changing your diet. But I don't think a broad statement like that makes much sense. Some processed foods taste more satisfying to me when I eat less of them. Sweets especially. Some stuff like fast food or frozen prepared meals are not as satisfying at all after given up for a while.

I think it has more to do with the quality of the food than whether it's processed or not.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I'll disagree.

I can distinguish those as 'not vanilla extract/paste' as well. In my head, I tend to lump those in with artificial flavorings even though the components are natural. I can distinguish between natural vanilla flavoring and vanillin, too. Vanillin is really far off of what it should taste like. Natural vanilla flavoring is still not right but less harsh tasting than vanillin and lacking the complexity of actual vanilla.

Basically, for some flavors I can tell the difference between a flavor made mainly from the actual thing, and a flavoring put together by humans to mimic the taste of that thing regardless of the naturalness or artificiality of the components. It doesn't say anything about which I prefer for a particular flavoring, though.

I think being able to distinguish between an actual ingredient and a flavoring is pretty common. I'm talking about what was mentioned above -- the ability to distinguish between a natural and an artificial flavor. That's what I'm skeptical about.

If someone told me they could distinguish between natural strawberry flavor (which was created in a lab and doesn't include any component of strawberries but is legally entitled to the natural designation) and artificial strawberry flavor (which was also created in a lab and doesn't include any component of strawberries but is legally obligated to be labelled "artificial"), I would be skeptical.

Setting aside oils and extracts and all that, I don't think the human palate can distinguish between a natural and an artificial flavor with any degree of reliability.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of getting used to something and adapting your preferences. I switched to diet soda 2 years ago, and now I don't like regular soda. It tastes sickeningly sweet to me. Your taste buds do adapt to whatever switches to choose to make after eating that way for a while, regardless of cleanness or the state of processing.
  • stevencloser
    Options

I'll disagree.

I think being able to distinguish between an actual ingredient and a flavoring is pretty common. I'm talking about what was mentioned above -- the ability to distinguish between a natural and an artificial flavor. That's what I'm skeptical about.

If someone told me they could distinguish between natural strawberry flavor (which was created in a lab and doesn't include any component of strawberries but is legally entitled to the natural designation) and artificial strawberry flavor (which was also created in a lab and doesn't include any component of strawberries but is legally obligated to be labelled "artificial"), I would be skeptical.

Setting aside oils and extracts and all that, I don't think the human palate can distinguish between a natural and an artificial flavor with any degree of reliability.

What are the conditions for being called natural or artificial?
    I remember from chemistry class how we made banana scent from some organic acid and some other stuff. Would that be natural?
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I'll disagree.

I think people are being imprecise and mean, really, the ability to distinguish between the actual ingredient and a flavoring.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I'll disagree.

What are the conditions for being called natural or artificial?
    I remember from chemistry class how we made banana scent from some organic acid and some other stuff. Would that be natural?

I am not an expert by any means, but I believe that would fit the definition of a natural flavor. A natural flavor doesn't have to be from the food it is replicating (that is, banana "natural flavor" doesn't have to come from banana). It just has to come from some type of food and it can be done via a chemical process. Often a natural and an artificial flavor will have the exact same components -- they will just have been extracted in different ways.

Also, my information is very specific to US-law -- I don't know what the regulations are in other countries.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Is it just me? The less processed foods I eat the less I enjoy them. Even down to my protein shake, the false strawberry just tasted horrible today! I guess it's good that I'd rather eat an omlette than a doughnut (same cals!) But it can be annoying when out with friends as it's hard to not look like a food snob in restaurants! !

I agree completely? I think it's because I'm a good cook though (tooting my own horn here).

I know how to use herbs and spices and healthy oils on veggies, meats, etc like it's no one's business. I can bust out the most flavorful dishes that will knock people's socks off...and it's a great macro-balance w/o crazy calories.

I think folks who think "clean" eating is "bland" eating are missing out.