Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Arguing Semantics - sugar addiction

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Make MFP great again!

I feel like this should be a first post from a SparkPeople user.

Them fightin' words, son.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Make MFP great again!

I feel like this should be a first post from a SparkPeople user.

SparkPeople is how I ended up here. I stalled in my weight loss for a couple of months and got one stinkin' answer on their boards that was devoid of advice. Came looking for better boards and found MFP. Sad to see the forums headed the other direction again.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Came here to argue about useful v. useless replies to those misinformed about food "addiction". Found that my opinion has already been stated more eloquently than what I could've done and agreed to by the majority.

Sort of disappointed... I was feeling snippy this afternoon.

You aren't dissapointed at all and you know it - since you might have been looking for an argument. :p

MgM6yFQ.gif
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    Came here to argue about useful v. useless replies to those misinformed about food "addiction". Found that my opinion has already been stated more eloquently than what I could've done and agreed to by the majority.

Sort of disappointed... I was feeling snippy this afternoon.

You aren't dissapointed at all and you know it - since you might have been looking for an argument. :p

MgM6yFQ.gif

Okay, laugh if you want, but the image is entirely accurate for what I was gearing up for. X)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    makingmark wrote: »
    I think deep down most of us know the truth, it is just uncomfortable. Facing the uncomfortable truth is really the best way to control our weight. Elaborate fantasies that make us feel better aren't really doing us any favors.

agreed but it happens all day everyday, and i am sure many people have been there at one time or another
    the feelings i had about losing weight and excising felt real at the time, i can now see they were silly.
    we all just wake up at different times and make the change. and some people never do.

But if people are not allowed to point out the somewhat uncomfortable truths, then how is that person supposed to arrive at their epiphany? If all they see is validation of erroneous beliefs, why would they confront their misconceptions?

again its always about delivery and the perception thingy
    its not always about what is said its how it is said
    i have seen threads in the past that ends up mocking the op that will never end well

There you go..

Its not the correcting of misinformation. .. its that fact that its the only thing people do... while completely ignoring the OP.

Again, as a participant in those threads who tries to correct misinformation but spends much more of my time and energy giving ideas of how to deal with the problem and my own history and what worked for me, I know that this is not true. I am one of those people, and it is absolutely NOT all that I do, or many, many other posters I see posting in those forums.

It isn't true for you and some others. That concept cannot be applied to all. And unfortunately, those of us who do put in the effort, get penalized for the many who do not.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This thread is rapidly becoming an MC Escher depiction of one of Dante's circles of hell
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    This thread is rapidly becoming an MC Escher depiction of one of Dante's circles of hell

We're almost there though. Just one last flight of stairs and then around the corner. So close!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

We're almost there though. Just one last flight of stairs and then around the corner. So close!

I'm right behind you, or .... ahead of you...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I'm right behind you, or .... ahead of you...

Hurry up!

<or>

Wait up!

Whichever the case may be.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options

That might explain why I'm completely lost at this point.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Appropriate as this thread was started by Seneca, who lives in limbo, which is level one of the inferno.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    What happened to the other sugar addiction thread??? Or am I not allowed to ask?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    What happened to the other sugar addiction thread??? Or am I not allowed to ask?

hqdefault.jpg
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I think deep down most of us know the truth, it is just uncomfortable. Facing the uncomfortable truth is really the best way to control our weight. Elaborate fantasies that make us feel better aren't really doing us any favors.

agreed but it happens all day everyday, and i am sure many people have been there at one time or another
    the feelings i had about losing weight and excising felt real at the time, i can now see they were silly.
    we all just wake up at different times and make the change. and some people never do.

But if people are not allowed to point out the somewhat uncomfortable truths, then how is that person supposed to arrive at their epiphany? If all they see is validation of erroneous beliefs, why would they confront their misconceptions?

i have seen threads in the past that ends up mocking the op that will never end well

There you go..

Its not the correcting of misinformation. .. its that fact that its the only thing people do... while completely ignoring the OP.

The only conspiracies are the ones that are beig made up by those people who dont find the balance between correcting erroneous data and provide help to the OP.

If providing help to the OP is part of the criteria, than shouldn't all replies that say sugar addiction is real end up here, 100% of the time, as lying to someone and reinforcing false information is never going to be helpful?

Instead it seems like the burden is inverted. The assumption is that people saying sugar addiction isn't a thing are automatically assumed unproductive and moved here.

Helping the OP doesnt mean lying to them. I dont know why this concept is so hard but helping people is more than correcting bad information... its provide the next step...

Essentially, so you told them physical addiction doesnt exit... great. .. how do apply that to their situation?

It applies because now they know they can stop blaming something that doesn't exist and start taking responsibility for their own actions instead of playing the victim who can't lose weight due to their so-called addiction.

Now they can start working on real solutions to their problem, which most of the knowledgeable posters here tend to offer along with debunking the addict baloney.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options

There you go..

The only conspiracies are the ones that are beig made up by those people who dont find the balance between correcting erroneous data and provide help to the OP.

If providing help to the OP is part of the criteria, than shouldn't all replies that say sugar addiction is real end up here, 100% of the time, as lying to someone and reinforcing false information is never going to be helpful?

Instead it seems like the burden is inverted. The assumption is that people saying sugar addiction isn't a thing are automatically assumed unproductive and moved here.

Helping the OP doesnt mean lying to them. I dont know why this concept is so hard but helping people is more than correcting bad information... its provide the next step...

Essentially, so you told them physical addiction doesnt exit... great. .. how do apply that to their situation?

It applies because now they know they can stop blaming something that doesn't exist and start taking responsibility for their own actions instead of playing the victim who can't lose weight due to their so-called addiction.

Now they can start working on real solutions to their problem, which most of the knowledgeable posters here tend to offer along with debunking the addict baloney.

I'm here. I'm counting calories. I'm trying to end it. It is unfair to say that someone that has made an account on a calorie counting site and has reached out for help in the forum, that they are playing the victim and wanting to use addiction as an excuse to keep overeating.
  • TheBeachgod
    Options
    It is if that is what are doing.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It is if that is what are doing.

Which are only going to apply to a specific set of people.. It is not an absolute. What many fail to understand, is that some people are just frustrated and don't have the education to know what to do. And whether you create an account of MFP or try to follow a lifestyle, it demonstrates, at least to some extent, that you are trying to change.
  • TheBeachgod
    Options
    Agreed 100%.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There are definitely some users who seem to be using it as an excuse. I recall an OP who posted "can't diet because addicted to junk food. If I have it at home I will eat it, and if I don't I will go out and buy it."

I think a lot of this is that people who aren't yet ready or internally motivated to lose the weight get messages, either from loved ones and friends or society in general, that they SHOULD lose the weight, and they feel compelled to go through the motions of trying but don't really want to change their habits, so they assert that they cannot.

I think that kind of thing is really common human behavior.
This discussion has been closed.