Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Arguing Semantics - sugar addiction

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    This thread is rapidly becoming an MC Escher depiction of one of Dante's circles of hell

Appropriate as this thread was started by Seneca, who lives in limbo, which is level one of the inferno.

For his suicide?

Limbo for being pagan, but virtuous. Suicides get a worse layer of the Inferno, and when you look at the situation, saying what Seneca did was suicide is kind of a semantics argument.

ZmyTH4t.jpg

I was hoping people would take my word play a little more stoically.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I love The Divine Comedy digression...you guys rock :heart:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I love The Divine Comedy digression...you guys rock :heart:

Violation of CG #2.

(*and yes, my post is apparently a violation of the "no providing references to the CG" unwritten rule (which I suppose is CG #11 but that's kind of a stretch...which were I to receive a reprimand and then publicly make this argument, would then actually be a clear violation of CG #11. )
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There are definitely some users who seem to be using it as an excuse. I recall an OP who posted "can't diet because addicted to junk food. If I have it at home I will eat it, and if I don't I will go out and buy it."

I think a lot of this is that people who aren't yet ready or internally motivated to lose the weight get messages, either from loved ones and friends or society in general, that they SHOULD lose the weight, and they feel compelled to go through the motions of trying but don't really want to change their habits, so they assert that they cannot.

I think that kind of thing is really common human behavior.

I don't deny that there aren't people who are either just looking for sympathy or are using it as an excuse, but labeling the majority based on the minority is ridiculous. And that is what is happening. Our first response is people are using it as an excuse, and if they don't agree, we suggest therapy..

If someone finds themselves unable to control what they eat, I think therapy is a really good idea. If it is an actual addiction, professionals are probably the best source of help. If it isn't an actual addiction and it is another type of compulsive behavior, professionals are still probably the best source of help.

I would agree that therapy is an option, but not the default answer to everyone who mentions sugar addiction on this board. Especially, when that said answer, comes from a very vague post by the OP.

But if someone points out that there are very good reasons to suspect whether sugar addiction is real and OP responds "Yes, but I can't control how much sugar I eat" (or a variation thereof), therapy probably is the best (and kindest) recommendation.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding the situations that you're talking about. But I think if someone thinks sugar addiction is real and that it is impacting their life, therapy is a good choice *regardless of the factual truth of "sugar addiction."*

I think that is part of the problem. We all have particular threads or a combination of threads in mind when we are discussing these. I have been in countless threads were the default response was therapy or victim... but when additional context was brought into the equation by the OP, they were merely using the phrase loosely and wanted ways to improve their eating habits.

And like I have said, they an OP does exhibit true behaviors of ED's, then by all means, suggesting therapy is a solid answer. Like previously mentioned, that is something that is commonly discussed with people in the gaining weight section, since many of them are either recovering and/or have a history.

Heisenberg's uncertainty thread though - how can we ever say all the other circumstances would have come out without some people suggesting addiction isn't appropriate terminology or that therapy is necessary if they truly feel it is addiciton? Perhaps without those being mentioned, the person wouldn't have been drawn out to say it. So it seems unfair to say it is unproductive to discuss things that way when you can't actually show how the conversation would have happened in universe B where no said addiction to food substance isn't a thing.

Exactly--how many times, with a little proding and poking, the OP admits to being in therapy now or in the past. Sometimes it hasn't worked. In my opinion, this happens alot with OPs that argue with all advice given. A million reasons why A or B won't work for them, and round and round. Once you discover they've been in therapy, that's the only route you can give them for advice. What they've got isn't as simple as they first describe.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Another word that gets misused is binge. I see non ed people using it interchangeably with overeat. They say they binged but they mean they overate. As someone who is a recovering anorexic binge/purge subtype binge means something else. It typically is in the order of thousands of calories. I have known bulimics who would eat approximately 5000 calories in one sitting, get rid of it, eat 5000 more, get rid of it over and over. In my head a binge is also a total lack of control and stuffing food down quickly and without really tasting it. It doesn't mean that you overate during your Christmas dinner or cheat meal or whatever.

As someone with a history of binges, I cringe when I see "binge" used that way. I understand the events being described are usually upsetting to the posters who are writing, so I try to be mindful of their experience and not project my past on to them, but really -- seeing it used to describe eating an box of crackers or some pizza . . . no.

Ok, so I'm confused. I haven't read further to see if it's already been addressed, but the actual definition of binge is "a short period devoted to indulging in an activity to excess, especially drinking alcohol or eating." To me, this includes the occasional overindulgence.

I can see how people with an eating disorder may put another connotation to the term, but why is it not ok to use the dictionary definition of a word, and how the heck is someone supposed to know that connotation if they don't have that experience? To me, this is putting a particular person's feelings (in this case, feelings related to eating disorders) over facts (like what an actual word is defined).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Another word that gets misused is binge. I see non ed people using it interchangeably with overeat. They say they binged but they mean they overate. As someone who is a recovering anorexic binge/purge subtype binge means something else. It typically is in the order of thousands of calories. I have known bulimics who would eat approximately 5000 calories in one sitting, get rid of it, eat 5000 more, get rid of it over and over. In my head a binge is also a total lack of control and stuffing food down quickly and without really tasting it. It doesn't mean that you overate during your Christmas dinner or cheat meal or whatever.

As someone with a history of binges, I cringe when I see "binge" used that way. I understand the events being described are usually upsetting to the posters who are writing, so I try to be mindful of their experience and not project my past on to them, but really -- seeing it used to describe eating an box of crackers or some pizza . . . no.

Ok, so I'm confused. I haven't read further to see if it's already been addressed, but the actual definition of binge is "a short period devoted to indulging in an activity to excess, especially drinking alcohol or eating." To me, this includes the occasional overindulgence.

I can see how people with an eating disorder may put another connotation to the term, but why is it not ok to use the dictionary definition of a word, and how the heck is someone supposed to know that connotation if they don't have that experience? To me, this is putting a particular person's feelings (in this case, feelings related to eating disorders) over facts (like what an actual word is defined).

I have seen several posts when it stays out as "I binged" and turns into "I ate two cookies and they didn't fit within my goal".

Compare to: "I'm psychotic, someone help me work on my psychosis" when they actually mean: "life is hectic right now and I feel like things are crazy".

Yes it is annoying when someone used a medical term to mean something completely different, especially on a forum where there's a high chance of a fair number of members would have said medical condition.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I have seen several posts when it stays out as "I binged" and turns into "I ate two cookies and they didn't fit within my goal".

Compare to: "I'm psychotic, someone help me work on my psychosis" when they actually mean: "life is hectic right now and I feel like things are crazy".

Yes it is annoying when someone used a medical term to mean something completely different, especially on a forum where there's a high chance of a fair number of members would have said medical condition.

Oh you mean like someone uses the term addicted and turns out, they just like to eat XX food ;)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Oh you mean like someone uses the term addicted and turns out, they just like to eat XX food ;)

I'm confused. It almost sounds like you are saying that the meaning of the word "addiction" matters and that we should try to understand what a person means when they use that word because their casual usage of the word may not mean the same as the clinical definition...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I'm confused. It almost sounds like you are saying that the meaning of the word "addiction" matters and that we should try to understand what a person means when they use that word because their casual usage of the word may not mean the same as the clinical definition...

Shurely not
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options

I actually looked up binge in a medical dictionary, and it still says "Consumption of large amounts of food in a short period of time, sometimes followed by purging." Since "large" was not a defined term, that makes it up to the person's interpretation of what a binge is or is not. Just because you have a certain level of what makes a binge doesn't mean that other people can't have different ideas without being insensitive. It's all subjective, and you don't get to say whether my 800 extra calories was a binge or not. If I said "I have a binge eating disorder," and all I did was eat a couple extra cookies, by all means that should be corrected. Saying I binged on cookies is not the same thing as claiming an eating disorder.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Yea... its the whole reason I said for 3 pages that context matters and this jumping to absolutes is not beneficial.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Yea... its the whole reason I said for 3 pages that context matters and this jumping to absolutes is not beneficial.

But why have so many of us been told time and again that discussing the definition of addiction is derailing a thread, and that semantics discussions would be redirected over here to the debate section?

(see my slippery slope post upthread for an example of how this might play out with a real OP inquiry)
  • psuLemon
    Options

But why have so many of us been told time and again that discussing the definition of addiction is derailing a thread, and that semantics discussions would be redirected over here to the debate section?

(see my slippery slope post upthread for an example of how this might play out with a real OP inquiry)

There is a huge difference between requesting the OP to add additional context, than arguing with other members for 10 pages over the semantics of sugar addiction, words and their meanings, and other definitions.

See... I didn't even us the words, we, you, our, or anything other qualifier.. so NO ONE should be offended :)
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

There is a huge difference between requesting the OP to add additional context, than arguing with other members for 10 pages over the semantics of sugar addiction, words and their meanings, and other definitions.

See... I didn't even us the words, we, you, our, or anything other qualifier.. so NO ONE should be offended :)

I'm offended by generalities and ambiguity.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

I believe it is important....what we call something and why. It's one of the many reasons why I put this article in the thread a couple days back.

http://www.vice.com/read/language-of-catastrophe-why-we-need-to-stop-saying-were-mental?utm_source=vicefbus

But instead we get a mocking statement followed by a winky face...in the face of the discussion. Never change MFP, never change.

Since most words have various definitions, like binge, it's can be difficult. This doesn't even consider the language barrier.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

And I am offended by you being offended...

So before I "offend" anyone else, am I allowed to use any emoji.. or is that just going to be too offensive.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

So before I "offend" anyone else, am I allowed to use any emoji.. or is that just going to be too offensive.

How dare you!

Good day, sir!

I said GOOD DAY!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Passive aggressiveness is tacky on a mod. But since when has MFP ever cared about that?
This discussion has been closed.