Ice cream without any guilt .. (Nice Cream) :) My life has changed.

Options
tracefan
tracefan Posts: 382 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I just saw a video of "mock Ice cream" Frozen bananas, vanilla extract.. put in food processor until it looks like ice cream. UM HELLLLLOOOOO delicious. I just made banana ice cream without cream or sugar. It really tasted like ice cream. I had about a cup and it was so good.
I'm sure I could add strawberries next time or other varieties..like some PB2 etc.

I always buy bananas.. and if for whatever reason I don't eat them and they start to look brown I peel them and put them in the freezer.. So another reason to use them frozen...

I had ice cream without the guilt. I cannot believe I never did this before! It was awesome!

Replies

• irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Sounds yum but I have regular ice cream all through my weight loss and maintenance. Just smaller portions than I use to.
  • tracefan
    Options
    I too love ice cream. I will still have that, eventually. However, 1/2 cup of ice cream is still a lot more calories and sugar than a banana.. so I'm just thrilled. :smiley:
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    I literally just finished eating a big bowl of this banana "nice cream". I topped it with 3 crushed up thin oreos. Sounds weird but it was so good.
  • tracefan
    Options
    NICE CREAM.. I love it. I'm going to make this all the time. The oreos sound good too. I'm going to try to add PB2 next time.. so yum.... It's fabulous and it filled me up enough so I'm not wanting more crap. So excited.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I want to try this. Food processors make too much noise though. :(
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't know. A banana can have 120 calories or so. I know some ice creams that have that many in a serving, so I don't get this banana thing. But I'm really glad you found something you love and that makes you happy while you're losing!
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    This is awesome.
    As an aside, Edy's 1/2 fat ice cream has 100-130calories for 1/2 cup, depending on the flavor
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    This is awesome.
    As an aside, Edy's 1/2 fat ice cream has 100-130calories for 1/2 cup, depending on the flavor

That's the slow churned right? I get that a lot. Eat the whole carton in a couple of days.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    jacklifts wrote: »
    This is awesome.

That's the slow churned right? I get that a lot. Eat the whole carton in a couple of days.

holy moly ....wish I was at maintenance so I could too!
    yea, it's the slow churned. having a bowl of the mint chip right now :)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    This like the banana pancake thing, right? It's still... banana flavored?
    Guess that works for some people, just not for me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Did you know a banana is about 110 calories on its own ...and when you mush it up it's quite small

A scoop of Haagen Dazs vanilla (43g) is 107 calories
    A snickers ice cream bar is 179
    A Mars ice cream bar is 140
    A fab ice lolly is 90 cals
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I love banana "ice cream", but more like a nice way to eat banana, not as a replacement to ice cream.
    If you have an ice cream machine, one part of sweetened condensed milk, plus one part greek yoghurt (low fat works) plus 2 parts mashed bananas also make a really good ice cream. Obviously with more sugar, but it freezes well. Adding vanilla or cocoa also works very well.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You know you can stick a lollipop stick in a banana and just freeze it ...I hear ...I've never done it
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I actually made this for the first time last night since I'm not eating sugar right now. It was super good.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »
    I actually made this for the first time last night since I'm not eating sugar right now. It was super good.

You know there's sugar in bananas right? Or is this one of those no added sugar deals because that makes sugar somehow more devil-like?

If you like it, woo! Personally, I'd just make ice cream fit, it satisfies a different part of the psyche having the real deal which is pretty important I think. I don't really do ice cream unless it's warm, which is like, 4 days a year in London, heh.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you had a cup of frozen banana I can guarantee you had a lot more calories than a serving of ice cream and lots of sugar also. I eat the real thing and a little satisfies because it is good. You can actually waste $60 buying a Yo-Nana maker I saw at Walmart to make this stuff.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I made this stuff, minus vanilla extract, while I was on a plant based diet. It was pretty good. You can add some blueberries or strawberries, or nutella haha. I just didn't like cleaning the food processor afterward. Its really crazy seeing it go from chunky banana to fluffy "cream".
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You know you can stick a lollipop stick in a banana and just freeze it ...I hear ...I've never done it

It's really good if you dip it in chocolate before freezing, also. One of the big things everyone used to get at Taste of Chicago, as I recall (I avoid Taste of Chicago like the plague, so haven't been in forever).
  • kerig1234
    kerig1234 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't know. A banana can have 120 calories or so. I know some ice creams that have that many in a serving, so I don't get this banana thing. But I'm really glad you found something you love and that makes you happy while you're losing!

Natural sugar opposed to added sugar, thats the difference. Better for you.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    kerig1234 wrote: »

Natural sugar opposed to added sugar, thats the difference. Better for you.

How so?