Ice cream without any guilt .. (Nice Cream) :) My life has changed.

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    kerig1234 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't know. A banana can have 120 calories or so. I know some ice creams that have that many in a serving, so I don't get this banana thing. But I'm really glad you found something you love and that makes you happy while you're losing!

Natural sugar opposed to added sugar, thats the difference. Better for you.

But sugar is natural, refined sure but sugar is sugar, whether you add it or if it's already naturally occurring.
  • Floridaman789
    Floridaman789 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Refined sugar had empty calories that's the difference. Empty calories aren't good for you anything with empty calories are bad do some research and you will find out how it affects your body.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I also incorporate ice cream into my food log each day. 1/2 cup is 120 calories. I eat the ice cream in a cone which is 20 calories, this satisfies my snack cravings each day.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Refined sugar had empty calories that's the difference. Empty calories aren't good for you anything with empty calories are bad do some research and you will find out how it affects your body.

But the nutrients coming from the banana aren't coming from the sugar in the banana. The sugar calories in the banana are just as "empty" as the calories in other sugar. Yeah, the banana has other nutrients. But so does ice cream.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    kerig1234 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't know. A banana can have 120 calories or so. I know some ice creams that have that many in a serving, so I don't get this banana thing. But I'm really glad you found something you love and that makes you happy while you're losing!

Natural sugar opposed to added sugar, thats the difference. Better for you.

The sugars aren't different, what's different is what it's packaged with. (Added sugar usually, not always, comes with lots of calories (due to fat or other ingredients beyond the sugar) and fewer nutrients, inherent sugar frequently is in foods with lots of nutrients, although that also varies a lot.) Bananas have some potassium, Vit C, and Vit B6, among other things, and a little fiber (not all that much, though -- around 3 g per 100+ calories). On the other hand, Talenti Southern Butter Pecan Gelato has more calcium, some Vit A, and 1 g fiber, and 4 g of protein, but also about double the calories in a serving vs. 1 banana (but if you compare to half a serving of the Talenti or eat two bananas mashed up, the calories and sugar in the Southern Butter Pecan compares favorably).

Anyway, I think both are great, although I like my bananas the traditional way or occasionally broiled. I just don't think either should involve any guilt.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Try skinny cows for an ice cream bar without the work for 100 calories each. I truly hate all the work that goes into making a 100 calorie treat. Skinny Cows cost 5 to 6 dollars a box.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yes, adding sugar adds calories without nutrients. How is the sugar in a banana different? (The nutrients in a banana are not in the sugar, just as the nutrients in any food with added sugar aren't in the sugar -- well, unless you are just seeking quick energy, which a banana, among other foods, is great at supplying.) That's why it's important to look at foods as a whole and how they fit into your overall diet.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy (so, no food processor mess for me, lol), and I hate bananas. But I would guess 1 cup of frozen banana would be at least 2 bananas, maybe three (200-300+ cals). For less calories, imma having a McDonald's vanilla cone (170 cals) with zero gulit.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    I too love ice cream. I will still have that, eventually. However, 1/2 cup of ice cream is still a lot more calories and sugar than a banana

Not really. The bananas I get range from 105-130 calories each, depending on size. 1/2 cup (a serving) of a lot of ice cream is around 120 calories.
    Now if you're talking about Ben & Jerry's, those are going to be a bit more calorie dense since they have all the extra stuff in there.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

"Refined" sugar has the same amount and type of calories as any other sugar. There's...no...difference.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas this way as ice cream and love it especially mixing other things in - great with pineapple and chocolate chips mixed in.

But .... I eat it instead of ice cream because most commercial ice cream makes me very, very, very nauseous. I'm not lactose intolerant but there is some additive that I'm apparently sensitive to and with products constantly changing ingredients to make it all "new and improved" I gave up even trying to find one I'm good with.

Homemade ice cream doesn't affect me in the slightest and is 100 times better tasting than anything packaged, but I'm too lazy to make it very often...and I do have a nice ice cream churn.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Bananas make my mouth itchy. Ice cream does not. It's a no-brainer for me.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I eat both homemade banana/fruit ice cream and real ice cream. They are both delicious!
    My favourite banana ice cream is banana+berries, and banana+nuts+chocolate chips.
    Also strawberry mango ice cream is delicious!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Can you name some of these foods with nothing but empty calories in them that provide no nutritional benefit whatsoever?

Bolded part is ironic...

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Bananas are okaaaay.... but they are never, ever gonna be Turkey Hill Cold Churned Moose Tracks ice cream. (And I'm never going to eat just a half cup of it at one time, either. What's with that laughable serving size?!)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy (so, no food processor mess for me, lol), and I hate bananas. But I would guess 1 cup of frozen banana would be at least 2 bananas, maybe three (200-300+ cals). For less calories, imma having a McDonald's vanilla cone (170 cals) with zero gulit.

I love this page for weights of measurements: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/ingredient-weight-chart.html

bd4c6c6401fa3ad601f2a5b8082a3f87.png

a166a1bbe46867d163bc03feed06a92e.png

I'm all for Nice Cream for people avoiding dairy, but it doesn't really work for people limiting calories - unless they can stop at 1 C of Nice Cream but wouldn't stop at 1 C of ice cream.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »
    I actually made this for the first time last night since I'm not eating sugar right now. It was super good.

You know there's sugar in bananas right? Or is this one of those no added sugar deals because that makes sugar somehow more devil-like?

If you like it, woo! Personally, I'd just make ice cream fit, it satisfies a different part of the psyche having the real deal which is pretty important I think. I don't really do ice cream unless it's warm, which is like, 4 days a year in London, heh.

... No it's Lent and I've given up added sugar for Lent (since it's an unnecessary luxury and giving it up is a real challenge for me). You have no idea why an individual may have given up added sugar at any given time, quit assuming. I don't enjoy being addressed like I'm an idiot.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

But the nutrients coming from the banana aren't coming from the sugar in the banana. The sugar calories in the banana are just as "empty" as the calories in other sugar. Yeah, the banana has other nutrients. But so does ice cream.

Ask a registered dietitian what someone on a calorie restricted diet should be eating on a regular basis if they have the choice between 150 calories of ice cream vs 150 calorie of banana.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Ask a registered dietitian what someone on a calorie restricted diet should be eating on a regular basis if they have the choice between 150 calories of ice cream vs 150 calorie of banana.

Are those the only two choices to consume in a given day, or will they be eating other things as well? If so, what have they already consumed or plan on consuming the rest of the day?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I assume a registered dietitian would want to see the context of someone's diet before deciding that 150 calories of ice cream is a worse choice than 150 calories of "nice cream." The ice cream has more fat and less fiber. Both of them have a lot of carbohydrates.

I'm more interested in the rationale behind the RD's decision than just what they would say. What do you think their rationale would be?