Ice cream without any guilt .. (Nice Cream) :) My life has changed.

Options

Replies

• markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    PB2 is a nice addition. I normally slice a frozen banana and put peanut butter or PB2 and/or some Nutella on the slices then drizzle a tablespoon of honey over top. Refreeze for 30 minutes great stuff too.

I might like PB2 with honey as nice cream tonight, thanks for a great idea.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Refined sugar had empty calories that's the difference. Empty calories aren't good for you anything with empty calories are bad do some research and you will find out how it affects your body.

But the nutrients coming from the banana aren't coming from the sugar in the banana. The sugar calories in the banana are just as "empty" as the calories in other sugar. Yeah, the banana has other nutrients. But so does ice cream.

Ask a registered dietitian what someone on a calorie restricted diet should be eating on a regular basis if they have the choice between 150 calories of ice cream vs 150 calorie of banana.

I assume a registered dietitian would want to see the context of someone's diet before deciding that 150 calories of ice cream is a worse choice than 150 calories of "nice cream." The ice cream has more fat and less fiber. Both of them have a lot of carbohydrates.

I'm more interested in the rationale behind the RD's decision than just what they would say. What do you think their rationale would be?

You will note I said on a regular basis. The more calorie restrictive diet someone is on the more they need to concentrate on nutrient dense foods.

The banana is a more nutrient dense food for the calories than the ice cream.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    In my opinion, unless you are a vegan (and i'll touch on that in a second) there is NO REASON to ever eat "nice cream".

It doesn't taste as good as ice cream.
    It has the same if not MORE calories than regular ice cream. Especially if you make it with peanut butter or flavorings.
    It takes more work than ice cream.

What's the point? Seriously, i cringe when people think this is somehow "healthier" and "guilt free!" when in fact you could just be not eating an entire pint of regular ice cream.

And if you're vegan? There are STILL more options of non-dairy ice creams made with soy milk, rice milk, sorbets, etc. that taste better and are lower in cals than "nice cream".

P.S. If you're vegan, Ben and Jerry's has non-dairy ice cream now that looks AMAZING.
  • RetroPolkaDot
    RetroPolkaDot Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    all this talk of ice cream makes me want to put the core for my ice cream maker in the freezer. Normally it lives in there but I needed the space for a turkey purchased before thanksgiving.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Well, it would beat the heck out of throwing away bananas. Regardless of how many bananas I buy, we either eat them all quickly, or they linger forever. It might also be helpful for those that want a low fat option but otherwise isn't concerned with the calories. I often need carbs at the end of the day, but not always carbs and more fat. And as far as low fat ice cream goes.... well it takes worse than a banana most of the time!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I call bananas ... bananas. And Ice cream ... ice cream. Neither actually comes with guilt.
    I like both. I don't really see the use of this type of substitution but if it helps one to stop building up extra guilt, why not.

Still, it might be useful to investigate the emotional attachment one has to food - long term, managing volume and the construction of emotional luggage to food might be very helpful.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    In my opinion, unless you are a vegan (and i'll touch on that in a second) there is NO REASON to ever eat "nice cream".

It has the same if not MORE calories than regular ice cream. Especially if you make it with peanut butter or flavorings.

What's the point? Seriously, i cringe when people think this is somehow "healthier" and "guilt free!" when in fact you could just be not eating an entire pint of regular ice cream.

And if you're vegan? There are STILL more options of non-dairy ice creams made with soy milk, rice milk, sorbets, etc. that taste better and are lower in cals than "nice cream".

P.S. If you're vegan, Ben and Jerry's has non-dairy ice cream now that looks AMAZING.

That is all fine. Yes ice cream can still be eaten. However like I said this is ano sugar no cream option. It's a banana. That's it!!! Less calories for sure. No work and it's delish. If I eat ice cream I'll want more than 1/2 a cup to fit into my calorie goals so for me this works and it's awesome!!!!!
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    PB2 is a nice addition. I normally slice a frozen banana and put peanut butter or PB2 and/or some Nutella on the slices then drizzle a tablespoon of honey over top. Refreeze for 30 minutes great stuff too.

I might like PB2 with honey as nice cream tonight, thanks for a great idea.

Nutella is the devil in my house. Lol lol
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »

That is all fine. Yes ice cream can still be eaten. However like I said this is ano sugar no cream option. It's a banana. That's it!!! Less calories for sure. No work and it's delish. If I eat ice cream I'll want more than 1/2 a cup to fit into my calorie goals so for me this works and it's awesome!!!!!

Have you tried frozen kohlrabi? It's great!
    Even less calories.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »
    I actually made this for the first time last night since I'm not eating sugar right now. It was super good.

You know there's sugar in bananas right? Or is this one of those no added sugar deals because that makes sugar somehow more devil-like?

If you like it, woo! Personally, I'd just make ice cream fit, it satisfies a different part of the psyche having the real deal which is pretty important I think. I don't really do ice cream unless it's warm, which is like, 4 days a year in London, heh.

... No it's Lent and I've given up added sugar for Lent (since it's an unnecessary luxury and giving it up is a real challenge for me). You have no idea why an individual may have given up added sugar at any given time, quit assuming. I don't enjoy being addressed like I'm an idiot.

And she was supposed to discern you were catholic how....? From your profile pic? Please. You didn't say you were eliminating added sugar. You said "I'm not eating sugar right now". If you're not going to clarify your statements, you should anticipate that someone else is going to make an assumption based on what you actually said, and not on what you imagine they SHOULD have gleaned by reading your mind long distance.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

HOW DARE YOU????!

I will totally eat a whole pint of ice cream (after a good 3 hours on the treadmill ha ha!) ;)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I feel no guilt about any ice cream as long as it fits in my calorie goals for the week. Right now my diet is super-ice-cream heavy because I am sick and unlike most foods its not bothering my stomach.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

HOW DARE YOU????!

I will totally eat a whole pint of ice cream (after a good 3 hours on the treadmill ha ha!) ;)

This is precisely why I don't buy icecream anymore. I have no willpower to stop at a piddly 1/2 or 1 cup... I'll eat the whole 500ml tub or won't bother at all.

• rainbowbow
    edited February 2016
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »

No sugar? What?
    Assuming you only use 1 banana (which produces a VERY tiny portion, most people use 2)
    Banana Nutrition fact:
    1 large (140g)
    Sugars, total: 17g
    Calories, total: 125
    Calories from sugar:68

As i said, it's almost identical sugar AND calorie wise. It is more work than just scooping a portion of ice cream but i'll let that part slide.

I think you are under the misconception that because this is made from banana that it's better. You perceive it as "healthier!", but in all actuality, it's not. You are currently equating fruit=SUPER HEALTH and ice cream=THE DEVIL
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »

This article makes no sense. It says fruit sugars are better because yay fruit! But then says that it's actually the fibre doing the good work. Those who demonise refined sugars act like we're all sitting around sucking on sugar cubes as a snack when in actuality it's just added to other things and therefore no more of an empty calorie than the natural sugars in fruit and veg.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I actually made this for the first time last night since I'm not eating sugar right now. It was super good.

You know there's sugar in bananas right? Or is this one of those no added sugar deals because that makes sugar somehow more devil-like?

If you like it, woo! Personally, I'd just make ice cream fit, it satisfies a different part of the psyche having the real deal which is pretty important I think. I don't really do ice cream unless it's warm, which is like, 4 days a year in London, heh.

... No it's Lent and I've given up added sugar for Lent (since it's an unnecessary luxury and giving it up is a real challenge for me). You have no idea why an individual may have given up added sugar at any given time, quit assuming. I don't enjoy being addressed like I'm an idiot.

And she was supposed to discern you were catholic how....? From your profile pic? Please. You didn't say you were eliminating added sugar. You said "I'm not eating sugar right now". If you're not going to clarify your statements, you should anticipate that someone else is going to make an assumption based on what you actually said, and not on what you imagine they SHOULD have gleaned by reading your mind long distance.

This. I commented with the information available to me. Which was minimal. If you participate in Lent fair enough. I still think it odd to give up added sugar and not natural sugars because most of us eat far more of those.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

This article makes no sense. It says fruit sugars are better because yay fruit! But then says that it's actually the fibre doing the good work. Those who demonise refined sugars act like we're all sitting around sucking on sugar cubes as a snack when in actuality it's just added to other things and therefore no more of an empty calorie than the natural sugars in fruit and veg.

I read it and agree.

It says "sugar from fruit is okay because the fruit also has fiber and micronutrients.
    Sugar from milk is okay because it has proteins and fats.

OK.

Like... the food sugar is being added to doesn't have these things. -_-

Ask a diabetic how sugars work for them and you start to find out pretty quickly that the body treats sugar like sugar.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I read it and agree.

It says "sugar from fruit is okay because the fruit also has fiber and micronutrients.
    Sugar from milk is okay because it has proteins and fats.

OK.

Like... the food sugar is being added to doesn't have these things. -_-

Ask a diabetic how sugars work for them and you start to find out pretty quickly that the body treats sugar like sugar.

And ice cream has protein and fat in it, so I guess it's a healthy sugar. Yay! Add anti-oxidants from the chocolate, and it's pretty much a superfood :)