Ice cream without any guilt .. (Nice Cream) :) My life has changed.

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Refined sugar had empty calories that's the difference. Empty calories aren't good for you anything with empty calories are bad do some research and you will find out how it affects your body.

But the nutrients coming from the banana aren't coming from the sugar in the banana. The sugar calories in the banana are just as "empty" as the calories in other sugar. Yeah, the banana has other nutrients. But so does ice cream.

Ask a registered dietitian what someone on a calorie restricted diet should be eating on a regular basis if they have the choice between 150 calories of ice cream vs 150 calorie of banana.

The ice cream gives me calcium and protein in addition to carbs. Given I get my micros from a whole bunch of vegetables in a day, the ice cream tends to fit my macros better.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    I just saw a video of "mock Ice cream" Frozen bananas, vanilla extract.. put in food processor until it looks like ice cream. UM HELLLLLOOOOO delicious. I just made banana ice cream without cream or sugar. It really tasted like ice cream. I had about a cup and it was so good.
    I'm sure I could add strawberries next time or other varieties..like some PB2 etc.

I always buy bananas.. and if for whatever reason I don't eat them and they start to look brown I peel them and put them in the freezer.. So another reason to use them frozen...

I had ice cream without the guilt. I cannot believe I never did this before! It was awesome!

i make that quite often. it works well with just a bit of half and half. i will have to give vanilla extra a try.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    It's the main way I eat bananas!
  • Coley88
    Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The recipe I found for this estimated the calorie count to be 280. I would much rather have real ice cream for that amount of calories.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Just to be contrary, not that mushed frozen bananas aren't delicious, just not fit for my goals. I need me some heavy cream, egg yolk low carb home made ice cream. :)
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I love making Nice Cream. Studying nutrition in college we had amazing professors. Bananas do have higher calories than most fruits but bananas are low in the glycemic index and their energy enters the blood stream slowly. Plus it works well for individuals with lactose intolerance. I love Nice Cream more when adding Madagascar Boubon vanilla and mixing in organic cocoa nibs. When you pulverize frozen bananas they become a smooth and silky consistency.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »
    I actually made this for the first time last night since I'm not eating sugar right now. It was super good.

You know there's sugar in bananas right? Or is this one of those no added sugar deals because that makes sugar somehow more devil-like?

If you like it, woo! Personally, I'd just make ice cream fit, it satisfies a different part of the psyche having the real deal which is pretty important I think. I don't really do ice cream unless it's warm, which is like, 4 days a year in London, heh.

... No it's Lent and I've given up added sugar for Lent (since it's an unnecessary luxury and giving it up is a real challenge for me). You have no idea why an individual may have given up added sugar at any given time, quit assuming. I don't enjoy being addressed like I'm an idiot.

And she was supposed to discern you were catholic how....? From your profile pic? Please. You didn't say you were eliminating added sugar. You said "I'm not eating sugar right now". If you're not going to clarify your statements, you should anticipate that someone else is going to make an assumption based on what you actually said, and not on what you imagine they SHOULD have gleaned by reading your mind long distance.

This. I commented with the information available to me. Which was minimal. If you participate in Lent fair enough. I still think it odd to give up added sugar and not natural sugars because most of us eat far more of those.

I disagree. I think most americans eat far more added sugar than natural at this point. Sugar is added to everything. And for the record, I haven't really limited added sugar and I have done fine. But I don't think your point holds true.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Are we allowed to discuss facts and science here now that the "nutrition debate" forum has been created?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    In my opinion, unless you are a vegan (and i'll touch on that in a second) there is NO REASON to ever eat "nice cream".

It doesn't taste as good as ice cream.
    It has the same if not MORE calories than regular ice cream. Especially if you make it with peanut butter or flavorings.
    It takes more work than ice cream.

What's the point? Seriously, i cringe when people think this is somehow "healthier" and "guilt free!" when in fact you could just be not eating an entire pint of regular ice cream.

And if you're vegan? There are STILL more options of non-dairy ice creams made with soy milk, rice milk, sorbets, etc. that taste better and are lower in cals than "nice cream".

P.S. If you're vegan, Ben and Jerry's has non-dairy ice cream now that looks AMAZING.

That is all fine. Yes ice cream can still be eaten. However like I said this is ano sugar no cream option. It's a banana. That's it!!! Less calories for sure. No work and it's delish. If I eat ice cream I'll want more than 1/2 a cup to fit into my calorie goals so for me this works and it's awesome!!!!!

Bananas have sugar in them
    It is not fewer calories as has been pointed out in numerous posts
    But if you like it, and I bet it is yum cos bananas are then great
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of banana 'nice cream' but stopped because it had a tendency to give me a sore, itchy mouth. Which is weird because non- frozen bananas have never had that effect and nor has regular ice cream, so its not to do with the cold.
    I found it quite a good ice cream substitute though because the effort it took to make would stop me eating too much. Something like Ben & jerries that I can just grab out of the freezer I can easily demolish the whole tub in one go, but I'm too lazy to get up and blend vast quantities of bananas.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I actually made this for the first time last night since I'm not eating sugar right now. It was super good.

You know there's sugar in bananas right? Or is this one of those no added sugar deals because that makes sugar somehow more devil-like?

If you like it, woo! Personally, I'd just make ice cream fit, it satisfies a different part of the psyche having the real deal which is pretty important I think. I don't really do ice cream unless it's warm, which is like, 4 days a year in London, heh.

... No it's Lent and I've given up added sugar for Lent (since it's an unnecessary luxury and giving it up is a real challenge for me). You have no idea why an individual may have given up added sugar at any given time, quit assuming. I don't enjoy being addressed like I'm an idiot.

And she was supposed to discern you were catholic how....? From your profile pic? Please. You didn't say you were eliminating added sugar. You said "I'm not eating sugar right now". If you're not going to clarify your statements, you should anticipate that someone else is going to make an assumption based on what you actually said, and not on what you imagine they SHOULD have gleaned by reading your mind long distance.

"I'm not eating sugar right now" says nothing about anything. It also doesn't say that I believe sugar is OMGEVIL!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Refined sugar had empty calories that's the difference. Empty calories aren't good for you anything with empty calories are bad do some research and you will find out how it affects your body.

But the nutrients coming from the banana aren't coming from the sugar in the banana. The sugar calories in the banana are just as "empty" as the calories in other sugar. Yeah, the banana has other nutrients. But so does ice cream.

Ask a registered dietitian what someone on a calorie restricted diet should be eating on a regular basis if they have the choice between 150 calories of ice cream vs 150 calorie of banana.

I assume a registered dietitian would want to see the context of someone's diet before deciding that 150 calories of ice cream is a worse choice than 150 calories of "nice cream." The ice cream has more fat and less fiber. Both of them have a lot of carbohydrates.

I'm more interested in the rationale behind the RD's decision than just what they would say. What do you think their rationale would be?

You will note I said on a regular basis. The more calorie restrictive diet someone is on the more they need to concentrate on nutrient dense foods.

The banana is a more nutrient dense food for the calories than the ice cream.

And broccoli is more nutrient dense than a banana. Are you going to make broccoli nice cream any time soon?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love making Nice Cream. Studying nutrition in college we had amazing professors. Bananas do have higher calories than most fruits but bananas are low in the glycemic index and their energy enters the blood stream slowly. Plus it works well for individuals with lactose intolerance. I love Nice Cream more when adding Madagascar Boubon vanilla and mixing in organic cocoa nibs. When you pulverize frozen bananas they become a smooth and silky consistency.

I rarely care about GI, but according to this: http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthy-eating/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods, the GI and GL of bananas are way higher than ice cream, especially premium ice cream. Which makes obvious sense, as bananas have lots of sugar, no fat or protein, not much fiber, and ice cream has lots of sugar, not much fiber, but also lots of fat.

This is also why bananas can be an excellent pre or post workout food, and ice cream isn't usually the best thing to consume before a run (well, for me, anyway, also because I'm more likely to want a banana first thing in the morning and not ice cream, which is better as an evening treat). I don't get making a banana, which is delightful in part because it's so easy to grab and go, into a fussy thing to eat that requires lots of clean up, but whatever.

And like others have said, I eat lots of veg and berries and various other fruit, so don't really usually need a banana to make up my micros for the day. It's reasonably low cal (one of them) as a dessert alternative, though. A broiled banana also tastes great on some ice cream, if one wants to splurge!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

"I'm not eating sugar right now" says nothing about anything. It also doesn't say that I believe sugar is OMGEVIL!

True, but it's ambiguous in that many people ARE on low sugar and low carb diets. If someone says "I gave up sugar" I wouldn't typically assume they mean "added sugar."
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    What's with calling it "nice cream"? There's no cream in it. Call it "iced bananas". (Plus, this cutesy use of "nice" indicates that something's *not* nice about authentic ice cream.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    What's with calling it "nice cream"? There's no cream in it. Call it "iced bananas". (Plus, this cutesy use of "nice" indicates that something's *not* nice about authentic ice cream.)

If one is vegan, what's not nice about ice cream made from cream is the exploitation of cows.

• alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I literally just finished eating a big bowl of this banana "nice cream". I topped it with 3 crushed up thin oreos. Sounds weird but it was so good.

Weird? No. That sounds amazing lol.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I love the posters on this site. Someone just posted an alternative to ice that they enjoy and it turns into a sugar, no sugar-ice cream, no ice cream, controversial debate. Great reading. Thank you
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I assume a registered dietitian would want to see the context of someone's diet before deciding that 150 calories of ice cream is a worse choice than 150 calories of "nice cream." The ice cream has more fat and less fiber. Both of them have a lot of carbohydrates.

I'm more interested in the rationale behind the RD's decision than just what they would say. What do you think their rationale would be?

You will note I said on a regular basis. The more calorie restrictive diet someone is on the more they need to concentrate on nutrient dense foods.

The banana is a more nutrient dense food for the calories than the ice cream.

I did notice you said on a regular basis. When I was losing weight, I regularly ate foods that one wouldn't consider "nutrient dense." Yet I still managed to meet my nutritional needs. I think someone could regularly choose a serving of ice cream instead of a serving of fruit and still meet their needs -- the context of the other foods they are choosing will play a role in this.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    In my opinion, unless you are a vegan (and i'll touch on that in a second) there is NO REASON to ever eat "nice cream".

It doesn't taste as good as ice cream.
    It has the same if not MORE calories than regular ice cream. Especially if you make it with peanut butter or flavorings.
    It takes more work than ice cream.

What's the point? Seriously, i cringe when people think this is somehow "healthier" and "guilt free!" when in fact you could just be not eating an entire pint of regular ice cream.

And if you're vegan? There are STILL more options of non-dairy ice creams made with soy milk, rice milk, sorbets, etc. that taste better and are lower in cals than "nice cream".

P.S. If you're vegan, Ben and Jerry's has non-dairy ice cream now that looks AMAZING.

I haven't tried the Ben and Jerry's non-dairy yet (it does look great), but So Delicious cashew milk ice cream is incredible.