Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Apple Cider Vinegar

Options

Replies

• star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel that people on here are so set in their mind of what science says is right that they close their mind to other possibilities. Look once scientists swore the earth was flat and anyone who said otherwise was mocked and ridiculed, then they discovered they were wrong. Once scientists said the atom was the smallest thing in the world and look how that turned out.
    Maybe some of this stuff is "woo" as seems to be the popular term on here, but what if it there is more to some of these things. Also don't forget there's a lot of scientific evidence that is not released because let's face it, big pharma want customers not cures, that's how they make their money
    And for the people who laugh at the suggestion of alternative remedies, they were around way before pharmaceuticals and have successfully treated many ailments, so you might say western medication is the alternative. St. John's wort has treated depression for many years, aloe Vera is one of the most effective treatments for abrasions, stings and burns, lavender can ease headaches and muscular aches plus help sleep etc.
    open your minds a little, calling anything and everything woo isn't cool, and you're missing out on a lot of really valid treatment options
  • star1407
    Options
    Oh yeah and I forgot acv is great for my skin and hair, wouldn't be without it
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel that people on here are so set in their mind of what science says is right that they close their mind to other possibilities. Look once scientists swore the earth was flat and anyone who said otherwise was mocked and ridiculed, then they discovered they were wrong. Once scientists said the atom was the smallest thing in the world and look how that turned out.
    Maybe some of this stuff is "woo" as seems to be the popular term on here, but what if it there is more to some of these things. Also don't forget there's a lot of scientific evidence that is not released because let's face it, big pharma want customers not cures, that's how they make their money
    And for the people who laugh at the suggestion of alternative remedies, they were around way before pharmaceuticals and have successfully treated many ailments, so you might say western medication is the alternative. St. John's wort has treated depression for many years, aloe Vera is one of the most effective treatments for abrasions, stings and burns, lavender can ease headaches and muscular aches plus help sleep etc.
    open your minds a little, calling anything and everything woo isn't cool, and you're missing out on a lot of really valid treatment options

In another thread you make fun of someone saying there's no real different size body frames yet here you write something like this?
  • star1407
    Options
    ? Natural health remedies, people with different sized bones. What's the correlation? I wasn't making fun of her, just asking her to stop telling people that they are wrong about their body frame and that our bones are all the same measurements
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Science says if a natural remedy works it gets used in actual medicine. If it isn't that's a pretty sure sign that any potential benefit to it is too small to matter. Science says there is no property to vinegar that makes you lose weight. Science says anything ACV might be able to do, any other vinegar would do the same, as would most other acidic things.
    Yet you say "well, scientists were wrong before, maybe it isn't like that actually".

Yet you tell someone to stop saying body frames are mostly the same because of science. What would you do if she told you "well scientists were wrong before."?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Not sure about all the other stuff, but ACV works well on itches, especially poison ivy. (yeah, it stings at first). I used it on some poison ivy I had, and it dried it up and stopped the itching. A lot cheaper than all the OTC itch treatments!

Regular white vinegar would do the same thing, at a fraction of the cost.

Where do you buy your ACV? Mine is just a tiny bit more expensive than distilled vinegar. I can buy a gallon of distilled for under $2 and I can get a gallon of ACV for around $3. I buy smaller bottles because I use ACV for cooking only. I use distilled vinegar to detox (excuse me, descale) my Keurig. Any other household uses I prefer a weak solution of citric acid in water, which is even cheaper than distilled vinegar and I don'r have to smell it for a week afterwards.
  • earlnabby
    Options

I don't think anyone is denying that there are some body related uses for ACV. It is a mild antibacterial, the acidity can help remove skin tags, it can sooth sunburn, it helps counteract the high pH in soaps and shampoos when used as a rinse. There is some emerging evidence that it has a slight effect on blood sugar when taken with food, but that is still correlation, not a proven cause.

Around here, there is so much woo regarding ACV. Yes, I am using the term. ACV does not "adjust the pH" of the blood. It does not detox. It does not do so many of the "magical" things people claim. Unfortunately, the practical uses of it have been lumped in with the magical thinking and have been lost in the shuffle.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Prove they are valid, and we'll consider them. Peer-reviewed journal articles, please, no Dr. Oz/Mercola. There are several of us that are scientists, or statisticians, or both - we can handle it.

Signed, a medium-framed Bayesian.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Not sure about all the other stuff, but ACV works well on itches, especially poison ivy. (yeah, it stings at first). I used it on some poison ivy I had, and it dried it up and stopped the itching. A lot cheaper than all the OTC itch treatments!

Where do you buy your ACV? Mine is just a tiny bit more expensive than distilled vinegar.
    I can buy a gallon of distilled for under $2 and I can get a gallon of ACV for around $3. I buy smaller bottles because I use ACV for cooking only. I use distilled vinegar to detox (excuse me, descale) my Keurig. Any other household uses I prefer a weak solution of citric acid in water, which is even cheaper than distilled vinegar and I don'r have to smell it for a week afterwards.

Most of the woo merchants insist that magic comes only from the raw, unfiltered ACV "with the mother"

This is significantly more expensive.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Where do you buy your ACV? Mine is just a tiny bit more expensive than distilled vinegar.
    I can buy a gallon of distilled for under $2 and I can get a gallon of ACV for around $3. I buy smaller bottles because I use ACV for cooking only. I use distilled vinegar to detox (excuse me, descale) my Keurig. Any other household uses I prefer a weak solution of citric acid in water, which is even cheaper than distilled vinegar and I don'r have to smell it for a week afterwards.

Most of the woo merchants insist that magic comes only from the raw, unfiltered ACV "with the mother"

This is significantly more expensive.

Gotcha
  • johnnygizmo
    johnnygizmo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It will also work as a laxative, therefore clearing out your GI. So it would make it seem like you are losing weight when really you are just emptied out.

I personally love vinegar on all sorts of food for the flavor. I grew up putting salt and white vinegar on french fries down at the Old Orchard Beach pier in Maine.
  • star1407
    Options
    Science says if a natural remedy works it gets used in actual medicine. If it isn't that's a pretty sure sign that any potential benefit to it is too small to matter. Science says there is no property to vinegar that makes you lose weight. Science says anything ACV might be able to do, any other vinegar would do the same, as would most other acidic things.
    Yet you say "well, scientists were wrong before, maybe it isn't like that actually".

Yet you tell someone to stop saying body frames are mostly the same because of science. What would you do if she told you "well scientists were wrong before."?

No. science has nothing to do with it. There are about 3 pages of people saying they have a bigger or smaller bone structure than their friend or sister whatever. People know their bone structure, if they have or have had low body fat yet still had large wrists or shoulders or hips etc then they know that their bones are larger. Same as some people I know have teeny weeny little wrists no matter how much fat they have, they still have smaller hips/ shoulders/ wrists
    I don't need a scientist to tell me that we all have different sized bones to each other
  • earlnabby
    Options
    It will also work as a laxative, therefore clearing out your GI. So it would make it seem like you are losing weight when really you are just emptied out.

I personally love vinegar on all sorts of food for the flavor. I grew up putting salt and white vinegar on french fries down at the Old Orchard Beach pier in Maine.

Growing up, we had a small bottle of distilled ("white") vinegar that would come out once a year to dye Easter eggs. We also had a large bottle of ACV that got used in all kinds of foods, especially hot bacon dressing for spinach or wilted lettuce salads and a homemade cooked salad dressing that we always used instead of mayo or Miracle Whip for deviled eggs, potato salad, etc. My Mom's deviled eggs were always requested at neighborhood or family picnics because of that dressing and the lovely flavor it got from the ACV. I make a pasta salad with that same dressing that is frequently requested.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel that people on here are so set in their mind of what science says is right that they close their mind to other possibilities. Look once scientists swore the earth was flat and anyone who said otherwise was mocked and ridiculed, then they discovered they were wrong.

Said no scientist ever.

Aristotle showed that the earth was spherical around 330 BCE and Eratothcenes measured the circumference around 50 years later.
    Once scientists said the atom was the smallest thing in the world and look how that turned out.

Do you have any examples that don't date back to ancient Greece?

I find this hilarious since real doctors don't sell the pharmaceuticals they prescribe, but most naturopaths sell their own snake oil
    Do you know what they call alternative medicine that actually works?

Medicine.

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    Well I love the stuff and sometimes drink it neat and it's never done me any harm. But it's not magical, I just really like vinegar
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Does anyone know where this dietary fad started, anyway?

Personally, I think it's because there are some nutritional merits...like unpasteurized ACV (and fermented foods in general) are beneficial for gut flora...ACV has also shown to be beneficial for diabetics in controlling blood sugar levels (so does a glass of wine with dinner), etc, etc, etc...but for whatever reason people tend to extrapolate out nutritional benefits to mean "weight loss"...probably because people are so focused on that one singular aspect without understanding that not everything regarding health and being healthy and getting nutrition is about weight loss.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Actually, knowledgeable people have known the earth is curved for a long time. You can't build something as large as the pyramids without being away the earth has a curve to it.
    Also, the idea that science has been wrong before is not an excuse to substitute your own opinion or anecdotal experience. You know what disproved all the previous wrong science? It was better done science, not people being discuss the time they did something and got results similar to just waiting or worse results than using actual known efficacious treatment.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Well I love the stuff and sometimes drink it neat and it's never done me any harm. But it's not magical, I just really like vinegar

Have you tried kombucha? Especially home-brewed where you can make it even more "vinegar-y" than the commercial stuff.
  • Graceraeg
    Graceraeg Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I use organic apple cider vinegar (with the mother). I put a tsp or two in a cup of water everyday. I had an overgrowth of yeast and it helped rid me of that. I also use it to control acne breakouts.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Woo
This discussion has been closed.