Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Apple Cider Vinegar

Options

Replies

• kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Cider vinegar is high in salicylate acid as are garlic, olive oil and many herbs. Many plants use salicylate to protect themselves from moulds and mildews. Consuming a diet rich in fruits and veg with high salicylate values help us maintain good gut flora with many benefits to our bodies by making use of plant biology.

You darling, darling sensible person. But, let's get back to the sparring!!
  • MommieRayRay
    MommieRayRay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've read plenty of articles claiming what ACV can and cannot do and honestly I've used it for homemade cosmetics/creams and it has helped with dry, itchy skin especially when my eczema flairs up. I also used it in a few recipes from time to time and it adds a nice flavor boost but that's about all I would vouch for it.
    But hey if its working in some other way for someone else...To each their own. I personally wouldn't drink it for weight loss or keeping worms out of my body. But a good rinse for my hair or facial mask/toner no problem.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Not woo, just common knowledge. Apple cider vinegar was the topic and I responded accordingly with my opinion based on FACT. It is known to deter parasites. It is also widely used to deter them.
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    This is actually really good for me. I agree with your sister and it helping alkalinity(not sure if that is even a word) of the water. It also kills invasive parasites which let's face it are a huge problem in relation to weight loss and these are the exact measurement U read to drink in water every day to deter parasites like worms surviving in body(they can live in brain too) worms and all kinds parasites survive on sugary acidic conditions. Look into it. Thanks for reminding me I am picking some up today-I use it on my hair too

This section of the forum is where we debate the science of nutrition, not spread woo about parasites, alkalinity and such. If you have some scientific links pointing to invasive parasites and how they affect weight loss (lol), I'm sure everybody would be all ears.

Citation needed
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Not woo, just common knowledge. Apple cider vinegar was the topic and I responded accordingly with my opinion based on FACT. It is known to deter parasites. It is also widely used to deter them.
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    This is actually really good for me. I agree with your sister and it helping alkalinity(not sure if that is even a word) of the water. It also kills invasive parasites which let's face it are a huge problem in relation to weight loss and these are the exact measurement U read to drink in water every day to deter parasites like worms surviving in body(they can live in brain too) worms and all kinds parasites survive on sugary acidic conditions. Look into it. Thanks for reminding me I am picking some up today-I use it on my hair too

This section of the forum is where we debate the science of nutrition, not spread woo about parasites, alkalinity and such. If you have some scientific links pointing to invasive parasites and how they affect weight loss (lol), I'm sure everybody would be all ears.

Citation needed

Agreed.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.
  • FunkyTobias
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Agreed totally and it has been deemed valid :-p forp
    karinf wrote: »
    Cider vinegar is high in salicylate acid as are garlic, olive oil and many herbs. Many plants use salicylate to protect themselves from moulds and mildews. Consuming a diet rich in fruits and veg with high salicylate values help us maintain good gut flora with many benefits to our bodies by making use of plant biology.

By whom?

And please stop top-posting
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've not bothered to place any citations because any would come from alternative sites. I fear doing so would only stoke the boilers of opposition to "folk and alternative medicine" rather than add to this conversation. You obviously have not read the links given on the first page of this debate. I found the one presented by a school science competition really interesting.

I could direct you to the SCD site, this comes from a more, Functional Perspective, taking a whole body view not fragmented as in general medicine, so, also decried by many. Search, Selective Carbohydrate Diet. I believe it to be rather didactic in its approach, not everything is right for all, one needs to do what is right for ones self. Only "you" know what feels right for yourself.

Sorry OP. acv can work in many ways if you "need" it to. You will probably only hear from those who have experienced benefits for themselves or have been close to someone who has benefited. Responders are self selecting, those who did not benefit would not necessarily reply.

Tart or sharp foods in the diet are known to improve digestive health. Any mas dietary advice hints towards this.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've not bothered to place any citations because any would come from alternative sites. I fear doing so would only stoke the boilers of opposition to "folk and alternative medicine" rather than add to this conversation. You obviously have not read the links given on the first page of this debate. I found the one presented by a school science competition really interesting.

I could direct you to the SCD site, this comes from a more, Functional Perspective, taking a whole body view not fragmented as in general medicine, so, also decried by many. Search, Selective Carbohydrate Diet. I believe it to be rather didactic in its approach, not everything is right for all, one needs to do what is right for ones self. Only "you" know what feels right for yourself.

Sorry OP. acv can work in many ways if you "need" it to. You will probably only hear from those who have experienced benefits for themselves or have been close to someone who has benefited. Responders are self selecting, those who did not benefit would not necessarily reply.

Tart or sharp foods in the diet are known to improve digestive health. Any mas dietary advice hints towards this.

Again, plenty of people use it for skin care and very specific issues. However the OP was asking how it could aid in weight loss and I know of no credible source that has proven that acv can improve weight loss in humans. It's very strange extrapolations.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    Weight loss is there in the school work if you read far enough.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    It will also work as a laxative, therefore clearing out your GI. So it would make it seem like you are losing weight when really you are just emptied out.

I personally love vinegar on all sorts of food for the flavor. I grew up putting salt and white vinegar on french fries down at the Old Orchard Beach pier in Maine.

Growing up, we had a small bottle of distilled ("white") vinegar that would come out once a year to dye Easter eggs. We also had a large bottle of ACV that got used in all kinds of foods, especially hot bacon dressing for spinach or wilted lettuce salads and a homemade cooked salad dressing that we always used instead of mayo or Miracle Whip for deviled eggs, potato salad, etc. My Mom's deviled eggs were always requested at neighborhood or family picnics because of that dressing and the lovely flavor it got from the ACV. I make a pasta salad with that same dressing that is frequently requested.

Ooooh! Share recipes please!
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

It's on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door that says "Beware of the Leopard"
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ACV is great in many recipes, I agree.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/recipes
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You'd think if it was truly effective that it wouldn't take so much effort to find support for the claim.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    The citation I particular like is on the first page of all this. It was a very, very long one to follow. The other links are also well placed and again interesting. I strongly suggest you nay sayers go back and read those links on the first page properly.

May I suggest Tobias has found his place?

I'm out. except for meal suggestions.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    The citation I particular like is on the first page of all this. It was a very, very long one to follow. The other links are also well placed and again interesting. I strongly suggest you nay sayers go back and read those links on the first page properly.

May I suggest Tobias has found his place?

I'm out. except for meal suggestions.

What a coincidence. My favorite citation is also on the first page.
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.ca/2008/04/houston-we-have-problem-apple-cider.html

While apple cider vinegar is relatively harmless for most people as normally consumed, believing it can cure, prevent or treat health problems also puts people at risk who are deterred from seeking needed medical care for serious health issues. M.D. Anderson, according to Natural Standard Monograph (2007), also warns that theoretically, long-term use could diminish bone mineral density and interact with and increase the risk of toxicity of cardiac glycoside prescriptions, such as digoxin; and potentiate the potassium-lowering effects of insulin, laxatives and diuretics, such as Lasix.

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

It's on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door that says "Beware of the Leopard"

I see what you did there. Let me get Prostetnic Jeltz on the phone to get that re-filed for you. Hope you like poetry.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    It works well for a lot of different things. Just have to remember that it's not a magic drink that will make someone lose weight, but if used in combination with an already healthy nutrition and exercise plan it can assist. Also it's great for cooking! I found a local product called Fire Cider. It's apple cider vinegar mixed with a host of other natural ingredients and it's got a nice kick to it. Yum as salad dressing! Years ago I was suffering terribly with arthritis in my hands. I could barely open a door. The pain and swelling along with spasms were horrible! I worked for a long time with my doctor on pain management, anti-inflammatories, etc. Medicated America! Anyway, through a lot of research of alternative meds I found information on the benefits of 'Just black cherry juice' working wonders for my type of arthritis. Despite it having over the top sugar I followed what I read and began taking one shot of the juice every morning. It took a little over two months to start working but it did. I've been fine ever since. That's the other problem with these types of things, people think they're going to work in one or two days or one or two weeks. Some of these old-school medicinal things can take months to start working. Anyway... I love the taste of vinegar and only use rice vinegar on my salads so I have no problem chugging it down. It doesn't hurt and it sure does give me a nice kick in the pants in the morning :smile:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    It works well for a lot of different things. Just have to remember that it's not a magic drink that will make someone lose weight, but if used in combination with an already healthy nutrition and exercise plan it can assist. Also it's great for cooking! I found a local product called Fire Cider. It's apple cider vinegar mixed with a host of other natural ingredients and it's got a nice kick to it. Yum as salad dressing! Years ago I was suffering terribly with arthritis in my hands. I could barely open a door. The pain and swelling along with spasms were horrible! I worked for a long time with my doctor on pain management, anti-inflammatories, etc. Medicated America! Anyway, through a lot of research of alternative meds I found information on the benefits of 'Just black cherry juice' working wonders for my type of arthritis. Despite it having over the top sugar I followed what I read and began taking one shot of the juice every morning. It took a little over two months to start working but it did. I've been fine ever since. That's the other problem with these types of things, people think they're going to work in one or two days or one or two weeks. Some of these old-school medicinal things can take months to start working. Anyway... I love the taste of vinegar and only use rice vinegar on my salads so I have no problem chugging it down. It doesn't hurt and it sure does give me a nice kick in the pants in the morning :smile:

If it took 2 months for you to see a bettering it could have been ANYTHING you did during those 2 months.

This is a perfect example for the post hoc fallacy. 2 months after you started doing something, something else happened and you are attributing it to the thing you want it to be.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

If it took 2 months for you to see a bettering it could have been ANYTHING you did during those 2 months.

This is a perfect example for the post hoc fallacy. 2 months after you started doing something, something else happened and you are attributing it to the thing you want it to be.

And never underestimate our ability and propensity to find correlation where none exists. We're wired to do that which is why good defensible research is so valuable to our understanding of what is truly happening.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

And never underestimate our ability and propensity to find correlation where none exists. We're wired to do that which is why good defensible research is so valuable to our understanding of what is truly happening.

I find this aspect of our cognitive function absolutely amazing and the fact that so few people are aware of it even more so.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

I see what you did there. Let me get Prostetnic Jeltz on the phone to get that re-filed for you. Hope you like poetry.

Frood.
This discussion has been closed.