Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Apple Cider Vinegar

Options

Replies

• summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Does anyone know where this dietary fad started, anyway?

My grandparents used it for years in cooking, for medicinal purposes and we have always used it on the farm, for the chooks as a mild antibacterial when molting, the goats for rumin troubles and Chrystalization in urinary track, the horses drink it also. Nan used it for water retention (as I do) pop used it for gout.....it's been around for many many years!

As for the weight loss fad I didn't actually know it had claims it could help you lose weight lol I had heard the alkalizing myth but we all know that's impossible!

• summerkissed
    edited February 2016
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

My grandparents used it for years in cooking, for medicinal purposes and we have always used it on the farm, for the chooks as a mild antibacterial when molting, the goats for rumin troubles and Chrystalization in urinary track, the horses drink it also. Nan used it for water retention (as I do) pop used it for gout.....it's been around for many many years!

If they used it for medicinal purposes, doesn't it make it a medicine?

Does it? I'm sure you will tell us.....
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

If they used it for medicinal purposes, doesn't it make it a medicine?

It makes it a φάρμακον. A medicine, a drug, a poison, a magical talisman, a recipe, a charm, a universal cure for all ailments, a tasty libation, and madness, all wrapped into one.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Khovde07 wrote: »
    I was talking with my sister this weekend and telling her how my weight loss was going. She suggested taking 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in the morning. Apparently some people swear by it. Something about alkaline and acidity. I started to tune her out as soon as she started because it sounded pretty hokey and the women in my family have a reputation of losing weight in the non-healthy way and trying to drag me into it (think eating 500 calories a day).

But I'm having trouble seeing how this could be dangerous with only 1-2 tablespoons a day. It still seems hokey to me, though. Google articles were pretty split in opinions. Has anyone else heard of using ACV?

I had the chance to take a deeper look at a peer-reviewed database, and found a smattering of double-blind, randomized, peer-reviewed articles that supported the notion that ACV has an effect on satiety, so there may be something to it, but more research is needed, obviously. Here are two articles linked from a glucose control subsection of a review article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16321601

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16015276

Also, here is the review article that led to the satiety articles--well worth reading the whole thing, both for what might have some potential vs. what NOT to do, like burning your esophagus:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1785201/#R50

Your mileage, of course, may vary, but it appears to work for some people and has shown potential in the research.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    @jmbmilholland Thanks for the heads-up about Hippocrates & Galen. That doesn't surprise me overly much. I'd not categorize medicinal use as historical evidence of a dietary fad, nor discount it although a great many traditional medical approaches have some degree of efficacy.

Of course acetic acid is an antibacterial agent. Apple cider vinegar (any vinegar) is acetic acid. My guess on its use in salads is that it provides a nice antiseptic and we've become accustomed to the astringent flavor. I see no harm in it, aside from acid erosion of the esophagus if you're drinking the stuff straight on a regular basis (gastric acid is also harmful to the esophagus but most of us survive random bouts with GI distress and vomiting without the damage of, say, a bulimic).

I use it in my hair to strip residue, too (alternate with lemon juice, mixed with Epsom salts and do a final rinse of beer). I use vinegar in cooking for acidity. I've been known to put it on my salads, though I strongly prefer basalmic vinegar.

Johnston, Carol S., and Cindy A. Gaas. "Vinegar: medicinal uses and antiglycemic effect." Medscape General Medicine 8.2 (2006): 61.

This was an interesting review, and well-written, too. I'm not sure I agree with the import of all references cited, but it was no half-assed effort on the writer's part.

I'm very cautious about any direct-from-cutting-edge-research recommendations to the general public. And I think its unfortunate that so many of these enter conventional wisdom so rapidly these days.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    There are always going to be those out there that disagree with it. Honestly, I felt the same way but I starting drinking 2 TB daily to assist with killing my candida overgrowth and noticed that it made me feel amazing so I continued drinking it. It gives me energy, has totally cleared up my skin and helps with my stomach issues. I've also noticed it it helps kick a cold fast! While taking it I did feel that it increased my weight loss- but its hard to say that it was in fact the ACV as it could have just been a kick *kitten* week ya know? Do some research and make an educated guess on that and on how you feel. It is NOT easy to get down in the beginning, so add a little lemon to the water to cover the taste... Now.... I crave it. :open_mouth:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    There are always going to be those out there that disagree with it. Honestly, I felt the same way but I starting drinking 2 TB daily to assist with killing my candida overgrowth and noticed that it made me feel amazing so I continued drinking it. It gives me energy, has totally cleared up my skin and helps with my stomach issues. I've also noticed it it helps kick a cold fast! While taking it I did feel that it increased my weight loss- but its hard to say that it was in fact the ACV as it could have just been a kick *kitten* week ya know? Do some research and make an educated guess on that and on how you feel. It is NOT easy to get down in the beginning, so add a little lemon to the water to cover the taste... Now.... I crave it. :open_mouth:

So, what is the biological mechanism of ingestion of vinegar resulting in the elimination of rhinovirus from the body?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

You had a medically diagnosed candida overgrowth and physician advised taking apple cider vinegar instead of a prescription anti-fungal?
  • raychl88
    raychl88 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Not diet related...but I've been using diluted organic/raw ACV as a facial toner every other day and am happy with the results so far :)
  • summerkissed
    Options

Yes I hate it when I run out! I thinks it's one of natures little gems :wink:
  • French_Peasant
    Options

You had a medically diagnosed candida overgrowth and physician advised taking apple cider vinegar instead of a prescription anti-fungal?

I went out to look this up in the lit, just out of curiosity, and apparently there are no studies, either yea or nay, on the efficacy of acetic acid on candida albicans. I found a research paper from Saddleback College, which is not peer-reviewed, and I found a peer-reviewed article on ACV being effective with oral candida--but on lady parts? Nothing. This seems really odd, because unlike a study on weight control, it seems like it would be a very easy and cheap (relatively speaking) study to look into the antifungal capabilities of acetic acid vs. candida albicans. Very. Curious.

I did, however, find a nice peer reviewed study on driving the Forty Mule Team into the lady parts, with a study on boric acid vs. candida. It apparently works, but...no thank you. https://jac.oxfordjournals.org/content/63/2/325.short
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I went out to look this up in the lit, just out of curiosity, and apparently there are no studies, either yea or nay, on the efficacy of acetic acid on candida albicans. I found a research paper from Saddleback College, which is not peer-reviewed, and I found a peer-reviewed article on ACV being effective with oral candida--but on lady parts? Nothing. This seems really odd, because unlike a study on weight control, it seems like it would be a very easy and cheap (relatively speaking) study to look into the antifungal capabilities of acetic acid vs. candida albicans. Very. Curious.

I did, however, find a nice peer reviewed study on driving the Forty Mule Team into the lady parts, with a study on boric acid vs. candida. It apparently works, but...no thank you. https://jac.oxfordjournals.org/content/63/2/325.short

I have read this multiple times and I can't make sense of the phrase "driving a mule into lady parts". And I'm terrified to click the link.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I have read this multiple times and I can't make sense of the phrase "driving a mule into lady parts". And I'm terrified to click the link.

Lol! Boric acid comes from borax, famously marketed under Forty Mule Team based on the effort it took to extract and transport it from the desert. It's a harsh chemical better relegated to the laundry shelf. The article is perfectly safe for work and properly scientific.
  • senecarr
    Options

Lol! Boric acid comes from borax, famously marketed under Forty Mule Team based on the effort it took to extract and transport it from the desert. It's a harsh chemical better relegated to the laundry shelf. The article is perfectly safe for work and properly scientific.

Well running the forty mule team kind of evokes the idea of running a train.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm unsurprised, @jmbmilholland, that you were unable to find anything. Candida overgrowth is a new popular blame for every problem ever.

See: http://mindbodyandsoleonline.com/health-nutrition/taming-the-yeastie-beasties/

Since apple cider vinegar is the new cure for every problem ever, it makes sense that they'd get lumped together, even if neither has any backing.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    sndrd49 wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    sndrd49 wrote: »
    It's nice to dress a salad with a little olive oil.

Also forms a key part of my favorite marinade for chicken.
    Oooooo.......please share!

@sndrd49

I just do this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/30522/unbelievable-chicken/

It's my favorite chicken recipe. I marinade overnight and cook them on the old George Foreman.
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It helped me in a kind of backwards way, right - so, I tried it cos I thought it had some magical weight-loss quality, but I had to have it first thing in the morning, diluted it in a glass of water, then to get the taste from my throat I had to drink another big glass of water. BAM! First thing in the morning, two glasses of water, great way to start your day off. Now I don't bother having the ACV, I sometimes put a little lemon juice in some warm water, but it's the water that counts!
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options

So, what is the biological mechanism of ingestion of vinegar resulting in the elimination of rhinovirus from the body?

ACV helps to alkalize your body (most of us are more acidic). A body that’s more alkaline may be more effective at fighting off viruses that cause colds and the flu. So adding it at the onset of a cold can help. It's been pretty awesome. It's not for everyone, but I've liked it!
  • forwardmoving
    forwardmoving Posts: 96 Member
    Options

ACV helps to alkalize your body (most of us are more acidic). A body that’s more alkaline may be more effective at fighting off viruses that cause colds and the flu. So adding it at the onset of a cold can help. It's been pretty awesome. It's not for everyone, but I've liked it!

Our kidneys and lungs do a fine job of keeping our bodies at the right pH level. No ACV needed or we'd be dead a long time ago!
  • senecarr
    Options

Believing in alkaline body theory is trying to reduce a bayesian landscape of complex multi-variables into a simple black and white / good and bad set of thinking. Having alkaline blood would mean you're dead, so I can't see why anyone would want that. Saying various things alkalize your body and therefore can only improve your health is like claiming you can tell me a direction that will send me to China without knowing where I'm starting from. Just as there is no China-ward direction that is the same for all points on the earth, there is no food that one can guarantee will move a person towards health.
This discussion has been closed.