Milk???

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It may not sound right coming from me, but milk really ISN'T needed in the diet. The main reason people drink it is because of calcium. However calcium can be derived from many other sources.
    If I'm being unbiased in my research, there is really no scientific studies showing that people who don't have dairy in their diets suffer from lack of calcium.
    Now that's NOT to say don't have it if you like it. Personally I would NEVER give up yogurt, cheese and ice cream.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

There isn't a single food on this planet that we NEED in our diet. The main reason we eat/drink anything is because of nutrients x,y and z. However, x,y and z can be derived from many other sources.
    If I'm being unbiased in my research, there are really no scientific studies showing that people who don't have any single food in their diet suffer from lack of x.y and z.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    someone told me to think about it this way... after that milk grossed me out. We are the only species on the planet that drinks anothers milk.... I dont eat any dairy! Althought i love it, i am not lactose intolerant either but being a nutritionist and personal trainer i dont recommend it to any clients. The body does not function well with dairy. It stores the fat between the muscle and skin and makes it harder to lose actual body fat.
    Sorry but any calorie surplus will store fat not only subcutaneously, but also viscerally. It's not just because of dairy. You'd need to back that up with some peer reviewed clinical studies.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    It may not sound right coming from me, but milk really ISN'T needed in the diet. The main reason people drink it is because of calcium. However calcium can be derived from many other sources.
    If I'm being unbiased in my research, there is really no scientific studies showing that people who don't have dairy in their diets suffer from lack of calcium.
    Now that's NOT to say don't have it if you like it. Personally I would NEVER give up yogurt, cheese and ice cream.

IDEA Fitness member

There isn't a single food on this planet that we NEED in our diet. The main reason we eat/drink anything is because of nutrients x,y and z. However, x,y and z can be derived from many other sources.
    If I'm being unbiased in my research, there are really no scientific studies showing that people who don't have any single food in their diet suffer from lack of x.y and z.
    Let me readdress correctly. We don't NEED dairy (which is what I should have said) in our diet. We do NEED protein and essential fats in our diets for optimal health.
    As for single foods, I would debate about creatine and B12 (only in meat I believe) which I don't believe can be derived from any plants. Could be wrong, but I haven't checked. Will check now.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Tanith42
    Tanith42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Every time I try to drink cow milk, or have it cereal, etc. I get congested and feel bad. I drink either soy or almond and am very happy with that. I really don't care for regular milk, so I can't answer to your craving, however, there are so many alternatives out there, maybe there is something you will like better. Just make sure that the satisfaction you receive is worth the calories allotted to whatever you choose. If you aren't having problems from it, is there a reason you are thinking of removing it from your A list? Bryce
  • KeishaJo
    KeishaJo Posts: 45
    Options
    For those that took the time to think about and share your honest perspective without making fun of me or judging me, I really appreciate it. I am new to this process and I am jut trying to learn all I can. I am trying to educate myself and make healthier eating choices, just like some of you.

Have a good evening.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    How come?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I love milk and it has a great nutrition profile. If you have issues digesting it then I see why you would slow it down but otherwise enjoy. I'm looking forward to going back to whole milk on my next bulk.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    OMG after reading this entire ridiculous thread. OP continue on your research and don't start eliminating entire things from your diet until you are SURE they are bad for YOU specifically (ie. lactose intolerant. even that I was that for awhile and now I"m not. may have been all in my head from reading crap or temporary, who knows) . And don't go looking for trouble. If you made a list of everything you ate and then went online checking them you could find negative things for every single thing and be left with nothing to eat but air tacos. Well actually not even that because someone (paleo) might say the corn in the corn tortillas and someone else (glutenists) would say flour tortillas are bad too.

I've tried and like all those other soy and almond and everything else milks but my fave is still full fat regular milk. What else would I put in my cereal, dunk my oreo's in, or wash down freshly baked cookies with? Just eat the foods. All of them. And count them. The end. :flowerforyou:
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have a relative who drinks almond milk because 40 calories a glass is far superior to the 120 he's getting from the 2% variety, which he drinks several times a day. But he eats a lot of fatty meat, so I don't think he's saving many calories, just eliminating a decent source of leaner protein. Excess calories will cause weight gain, but he loves the plain almond milk so who am I to judge. He's not vegetarian or paleo, just doesn't like downing 400 calories of milk during a meal from refilling his drink.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    milk is a good source of protein where as the soy or almond are not as good. Depending on where you live try to look for Hood CarbCountDown Milk I believe its called. Its low calorie milk, with the protein - also low carb and low sugar. I use it rather than regular milk because the non-fat is only 35 calories a cup!!!! Now I will not lie, the non-fat doesnt taste as good as milk but I dont drink milk on its own so I'm not to bothered by it - I mix it into protein drinks or add it to coffee, cereal or a nice low cal cup of chocolate milk. Good luck and you'll find what works for you.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Makes you fart or something?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Good Idea! Milk (COWS) is sooo bad for humAN CONSUMPTION! It does nothing for our bones we cant even absorb the "calcium" we are supposedly getting from it..It actually depletes the calcium from your bones....Stick with Almond milk...make your own if you have to

We can absorb calcium from milk. Calcium from any source needs other nutrients such as Vit D to be absorbed. Eat a balanced diet, problem solved.

Edit: just saw that this was addressed (well, not addressed later).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Good Idea! Milk (COWS) is sooo bad for humAN CONSUMPTION! It does nothing for our bones we cant even absorb the "calcium" we are supposedly getting from it..It actually depletes the calcium from your bones....Stick with Almond milk...make your own if you have to

Sources for your claims?

Source: Feskanich D, Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA. Milk, dietary calcium, and bone fractures in women: a 12-year prospective study. American Journal of Public Health. 1997).

"CONCLUSIONS:

These data do not support the hypothesis that higher consumption of milk or other food sources of calcium by adult women protects against hip or forearm fractures."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9224182

Not preventing fractures and actively causing them are two completely different things.

Man! Yall are different! Would you feed you kitten you wife's breast milk? No of course you wouldnt so why do you think a cow would want to feed you milk for their babies???
    Its bad..Show me proof that it does the body good!...and I will wait cause there is none! None at all!!!
    Cows have 4 stomach(1 with 4 chambers) but common sense would tell you hey maybe theres something in the cows stomachses lol that would allow them to digest the milk!!! But no! you wanna play Captain try-some-milk...Do whatever all I know is if you child is has an ear infection take away that milk and about bet the ear infection would go away too.. *Drops Mic* lolol

If you had looked a couple of posts above you, you would have seen they already had.

And what do babies and kittens have to do with the conversation?
  • CrimsonNBlues
    CrimsonNBlues Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I see you're drinking one percent. Is that 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to.

:bigsmile:
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I use to drink lots and lots and lots of milk of all percents... I cut back to max once a day and try hard to eat other foods with calcium in it. I saw a very good reaction to slowing down my intake. However, I think almond and rice milk are tasty as well, but I don't know if they help the process.

are you drinking plenty of water? I sometimes when I crave foods really really bad, it's because I'm secretly really really reallly reaaaaallly thirsty and my body is too stupid to know to just ask for water.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    One day I just stopped eating cheese well all dairy really. I like my life better without dairy. But, I would never tell another person they should give it up, unless that was something they were thinking about because it fit's their goals better than what they are currently doing. It's really not all that easy to give up things that are readily available especially if you are out and about a lot and need food on the go. Milk is fairly easy to replace though. I love almond milk, so much so that I rarely buy it because I will go over my calories from drinking half a carton. But, if it's something that you like as well as milk and you don't want to drink milk it's a good choice if it becomes a trigger thing then not so good. Long story short, do what works for you and don't buy into all the alarmist stuff that is out there.
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    ...The body does not function well with dairy. It stores the fat between the muscle and skin and makes it harder to lose actual body fat.
    Please post links to facts about this. I have never heard this before, it sounds fishy, and when I tried googling it, I couldn't find anything.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone- I'm thinking seriously about cutting out milk. Currently, I drink 8-12 oz. a day of 1%. I LOVE MILK- and this is a reduction in what I used to drink- 24 to 32 oz a day-of whole or 2%. I'd love to hear folks opinions about milk and whether milk substitutes like almond milk have helped with that craving. Thank you for any feedback!

I see you're drinking one percent. Is that 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to.

I see what you did there.
  • CrissyDeep
    Options
    I love milk but too much is really fatty (unless you have fat free milk, obviously.)

Well done on cutting down so much! You should be proud!

I'd definitely say give almond milk a go, you never know, you might actually prefer it!
    for example- I love potatoes and started substituting normal, white potato for sweet potato which is healthier and I definitely prefer it!

You'll never know unless you try the change!

But other than that, you can still lose weight when drinking milk- it isn't really bad and doesn't majorly affect your weight loss!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone- I'm thinking seriously about cutting out milk. Currently, I drink 8-12 oz. a day of 1%. I LOVE MILK- and this is a reduction in what I used to drink- 24 to 32 oz a day-of whole or 2%. I'd love to hear folks opinions about milk and whether milk substitutes like almond milk have helped with that craving. Thank you for any feedback!

I drink milk just about every day. Why would you avoid it? It's an excellent source of nutrition.