Dr oz

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Also you do realise MFP is a fad too(in other words you must remain active to reap benefits, weight comes back on if you stop).

You cannot own the ability to count Calories. Anyone can write what they ate and how much they exercised in a journal.

The only difference is we(I speak generally) are glued to our phones these days, and we can make it addictive enough with all the perks Facebook has. So yeah this Dr Oz rapid weight loss diet probably is a fad(I wouldn't know I don't watch his shows) but still why need to call him a quack or imply he is scientifically ruined. Citation is needed.

If some one else wants to try his diet, how may I ask does it affect you?
    Answer is it doesn't. So just remember to be respectful in your opinions on MFP.

Citations about why he is scientifically ruined were posted on page 2. I suggest you check them out.

Terrible ideas which capitalize on the difficulty people have losing weight deserve as much disrespect and scorn as possible. It is the idea that is the subject of our derision, not the person lured into it.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Oh look it's the tone police again
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Also you do realise MFP is a fad too(in other words you must remain active to reap benefits, weight comes back on if you stop).

You cannot own the ability to count Calories. Anyone can write what they ate and how much they exercised in a journal.

The only difference is we(I speak generally) are glued to our phones these days, and we can make it addictive enough with all the perks Facebook has. So yeah this Dr Oz rapid weight loss diet probably is a fad(I wouldn't know I don't watch his shows) but still why need to call him a quack or imply he is scientifically ruined. Citation is needed.

Answer is it doesn't. So just remember to be respectful in your opinions on MFP.

Ahem

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

Ahem

Pretty well covers that end of things, doesn't it?
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member

I'm trying to wrap my brain around this comment. Calorie Counting is how I'm reducing my weight. MFP is the tool that I use to track it without having to write everything out and use math. (*shudder... math*) Neither of these are fads. If MFP were to disappear tomorrow I would still be able to lose weight because I've learned what I need to consume in order to lose. I'd probably complain more that I was having to track it the hard way, but I'd still do it and I'd still lose.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited February 2016

I guess you could call the MFP App a "fad" in that it's a fairly recent, popular way to keep track of your food intake.

But the premise upon which it is based (CICO) is not a fad, unlike whatever bizarre brand of ridiculousness Dr. Oz is peddling.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2016

Interesting...the only thing I use MFP for these days is mindless entertainment on the forums...that and there's some pretty cool and knowledgable people here...I haven't tracked a thing in almost three years and I maintain my weight, health, and fitness just fine...because it was a learning tool from which I garnered knowledge on how to eat appropriately to my goals.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

Incorrect again. If you maintain a caloric deficit you will not gain weight - regardless of whether you remain active or not.
  • bonneboo
    bonneboo Posts: 27 Member
    I had never heard of it. I checked out the video. I can see how the people who stick to it are losing so much. Its a complete turnaround of a person's lifestyle and the things you would eat would be darn good nutrition wise, but I'm not fooling myself, I dont have the guts to give up what I've been eating and drinking all of my life. I'm one who wants to be happy, its bad enough I have to go by my darn macro so I wont pig out!
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    I got told today from someone whos daughters been on it since january and lost 5 and half stone so thought id ask :)

Either you misheard or you were lied to.

There's no way anyone could lose 77 lbs in less than 2 months, short of some sort of medical emergency or procedure.

I know a guy who lost 50lbs in a single day! I mean, he was never the same after that car accident, but they did set him up with a nice wheelchair.

Lmfao- that's the best response I've read in a while.
  • bonneboo
    bonneboo Posts: 27 Member

Nicely said!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I call troll
    Here's a tip: Anything that Dr. Oz endorses is crap and not worth your time.
    I'm still going with Poe.

Nobody can be this wrong about everything.

I hadn't bought that theory yet but this latest thread is making me reconsider.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member

It affects those of us who want to stop the spread of misinformation, and who want to encourage people to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way.

Do you take issue with that?

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member

MFP's method is based on science and a technique that has been used since my grandmother was a teenager, tracking food intake.

Dr. Oz had a new "miracle" pill or supplement on his show weekly. All of which he admitted he knows do not work. There are a few shows where he actually tells people to eat better and get active. Most of his shows are based around products that he gets money for promoting. As I stated, there are links that were provided about him admitting that he promotes things he knows are ineffective.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    wrenak wrote: »

I'm trying to wrap my brain around this comment. Calorie Counting is how I'm reducing my weight. MFP is the tool that I use to track it without having to write everything out and use math. (*shudder... math*) Neither of these are fads. If MFP were to disappear tomorrow I would still be able to lose weight because I've learned what I need to consume in order to lose. I'd probably complain more that I was having to track it the hard way, but I'd still do it and I'd still lose.

I think Dr Oz is a tool too. A different kind of tool, but a tool non-the-less.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member

Please see the links provided in this thread for citation.

Its funny you ask for citation but don't provide any yourself about your theories ( avc cures stomach parasites and I could keep going but you get my point )

Mfp is based on cico. That's no fad. That's fact.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member

It affects those of us who want to stop the spread of misinformation, and who want to encourage people to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way.

Do you take issue with that?

This 100%.

The spread of misinformation affects me greatly. I spend much of my time trying to help others see that fads like Dr oz are not needed for weight loss and can be potentially dangerous.
    When people spread about misinformation it hurts others. There are lurkers on this site who are too afraid to speak up. They read threads seeking answers but are too shy to ask for themselves. Misinformation must be corrected here to protect those who don't yet know better.
    We all start somewhere. Not everyone knows that things like Dr oz pills are woo, so its important to me to tell them the truth.
    Knowledge is power. When people learn the truth , they are well on their way to successful weight loss .
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    I personally have learned a lot of great things from Dr. Oz, I haven't tried his rapid weight loss diet though.

People on MFP seem to hate him.

I think some of his advice is great.

What did you learn?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited February 2016

Because the standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

If someone wanted to try eating nothing but apples for 3 weeks, would you say "that doesn't affect me!" and tell them to have at it? (actually, don't answer that - I have a feeling I won't like your response).

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited February 2016

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/physicians-columbia-dump-dr-oz-hawking-quack-treatments-n343591

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/dr-oz-and-the-terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-day/