Dr oz

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Dr. Oz is an accomplished thoracic surgeon - as knowledge for his time as in it as Dr. Spock about children.
    Dr. Oz is a complete fraud about nutrition, diet, weight loss, etc - as much as someone that claims to be a Star Trek fan but thinks Dr. Spock is the pointy ear guy who say "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a dietitian".
  • senecarr
    Honl, you don't need some celebrity endorsed, arbitrary diet which was designed to make money for a quack. The more 'faddy' a diet is, the less likely you are to succeed with it, and keep the weight off long term. Pop your stats into MFP, follow them. Forget Dr Oz and all that other crap. He's a shill who's sold out.
    dubird wrote: »
    Here's a tip: Anything that Dr. Oz endorses is crap and not worth your time.

Yup. He's a quack.

http://www.livescience.com/50621-dr-oz-should-resign-poll.html

What's sad is he's a very smart person and was a respected heart doctor. I have no idea why he started buying into the woo, but it's pretty much destroyed his scientific credibility.

I think the whole point is his credibility has increased. His podium to teach people both sides may threaten your mind of science against anything else is hypercritical.You can be both Doctor and have a logical brain. But you can't preach science, and not have a variety of ways if explaining the same thing. Just for the record I am no pro-anything. I just don't get-off belittling someone who is no doubt far your superior on the matter.

When you're selling stuff that steals money from the desperate, sometimes poor and ignorant, and keep them from learning the truth to improve their condition, you don't get to hide beyond the "well let's teach the controversy and see who has the better argument" pretense. Just no. He already had a comfortable amount of wealth, he has no excuse for the harm he's doing, and you do yourself little better defending him.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Honl, you don't need some celebrity endorsed, arbitrary diet which was designed to make money for a quack. The more 'faddy' a diet is, the less likely you are to succeed with it, and keep the weight off long term. Pop your stats into MFP, follow them. Forget Dr Oz and all that other crap. He's a shill who's sold out.
    dubird wrote: »
    Here's a tip: Anything that Dr. Oz endorses is crap and not worth your time.

Yup. He's a quack.

http://www.livescience.com/50621-dr-oz-should-resign-poll.html

What's sad is he's a very smart person and was a respected heart doctor. I have no idea why he started buying into the woo, but it's pretty much destroyed his scientific credibility.

I think the whole point is his credibility has increased. His podium to teach people both sides may threaten your mind of science against anything else is hypercritical.You can be both Doctor and have a logical brain. But you can't preach science, and not have a variety of ways if explaining the same thing. Just for the record I am no pro-anything. I just don't get-off belittling someone who is no doubt far your superior on the matter.

lol
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    wrenak wrote: »
    Also you do realise MFP is a fad too(in other words you must remain active to reap benefits, weight comes back on if you stop).

I'm trying to wrap my brain around this comment. Calorie Counting is how I'm reducing my weight. MFP is the tool that I use to track it without having to write everything out and use math. (*shudder... math*) Neither of these are fads. If MFP were to disappear tomorrow I would still be able to lose weight because I've learned what I need to consume in order to lose. I'd probably complain more that I was having to track it the hard way, but I'd still do it and I'd still lose.

I think Dr Oz is a tool too. A different kind of tool, but a tool non-the-less.

Zing!
  • Natalierae886
    Natalierae886 Posts: 286 Member
    So I hear that 99% of you think hes really bad but yesterday I had wrote down the diet and it's basically a fruit protien shake in the morning, fruit veges and rice, and eating protien chicken, turkey and fish. Hes said to cut out sugar and wheat. And to drink green and lemon teas and to snack on as much veg as you want.
    My question is just why is that bad when it seems a great lifestyle change...
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    So your telling me that if you stopped logging voluntarily or not(that includes using information you have learned). That you wouldn't put it all back on. Deluded thinking.

How much do you weigh? How much did you weigh prior? I am willing to accept that you would put it all back on and most likely more if you never logged or counted or wrote anything down again.

Don't care what you're willing to accept, since you've shown that you are only willing to accept nonsense and woo.

But the fact remains that many people don't need to log after establishing good habits. Myself included.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    So I hear that 99% of you think hes really bad but yesterday I had wrote down the diet and it's basically a fruit protien shake in the morning, fruit veges and rice, and eating protien chicken, turkey and fish. Hes said to cut out sugar and wheat. And to drink green and lemon teas and to snack on as much veg as you want.

My questions to you are

Why a fruit protein shake in the morning? What's wrong with eating food? What's wrong with taking all the calories inherent in your fruit protein shake and eating say scrambled egg, mushroom, spinach, ham, cheese on toast?

What is the unique benefit of this calorie served as a drink and real food.

I would always choose to eat over drink my calories .. cos I like chewing food

Eating protein - chicken, turkey and fish is great .. how much? What's wrong with other proteins? Why would these proteins be more proteiny than others? How much protein should you eat? Is this based on your body weight?

Why cut out sugar and wheat? If not intolerant or diabetic. What's the point?

Green and lemon teas - a way to drink liquid .. no additional benefit .. some caffeine, some flavour that's about it

Eat as much veg as you want - great to have a wide range of colourful vegetables in your diet .. but veg have calories too..

So how are you going to prepare them? I like meditteranean vegetable stew over rice with cheese .. it's a dish I developed from experimenting and trying to hit my calorie goal .. it was a learning curve that has become part of my lifestyle (as have other recipes)

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the 'diet' but my question is how does following this prescription give you tools and a learning curve so what you do becomes innate? Where does that switch in living come in?
  • Sued0nim

It isn't it is something you can follow if you wish. I honestly do not understand the negative nelly' out there. It sound's healthy to me. Cutting out sugar is always good. I have some great self made recipes to share with you for fruit smoothies if you like? You don't need to take 100% out of the diet either, just what works and is enjoyable for you.

Really? Why?

What if you've hit the wall? What if you're hypoglycemic? What if you're reacting to a diabetic low? Still always good?

What kind of sugar is good to cut out? Fructose? Glucose? Sucrose? Lactose? Any specific combination?

• Sued0nim
    C A N E sugar. If your that confused go have a jelly bean :-p
    Sweetheart .. I'm not the confused one :)
  • senecarr

So only cane sugar is bad? Glad so many food makers switched to HFCS then.
  • FunkyTobias
    No wheat (except 1/2 cup brown rice)
    • No artificial sweeteners (this includes all diet soda)
    • No white sugar
    • No alcohol
    • No caffeine (only green tea)
    • No dairy (except Greek yogurt)
    • No additional exercise
    • No meals between 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.

Lol

So caffeine is bad but green tea is ok?

Dairy is bad but Greek yoghurt is ok?

And, my personal favorite, brown rice is actually wheat. Who knew?
  • FunkyTobias
    senecarr wrote: »

And nearly everything else is sweetened with beet sugar, so we're still ok.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    So your telling me that if you stopped logging voluntarily or not(that includes using information you have learned). That you wouldn't put it all back on. Deluded thinking.

How much do you weigh? How much did you weigh prior? I am willing to accept that you would put it all back on and most likely more if you never logged or counted or wrote anything down again.

Sorry, do you mean, "If you stopped using information that you learned"?

As in have a total memory wipe and suddenly forget how many calories I need to maintain, how many to lose on and how many to gain on, along with the information about how many calories are in my favorite snacks or meals?

I no longer need to log or count or write anything down to be able to hit my maintenance calories.

I know the rough calorie numbers for the things I normally eat, I know my maintence/loss numbers.

If buying something new from the supermarket I have the details on the packaging and if I'm eating out, I don't care about the numbers because it's normally a special occassion and I don't do that often enough for it to matter.

So please explain how I would put it all back on?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    senecarr wrote: »

And nearly everything else is sweetened with beet sugar, so we're still ok.

I remember when Coke brought out a special run of Coke sweetened with real cane sugar and people lost their flippin' minds, because it hasn't been sweetened with cane sugar in yonks...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

It isn't it is something you can follow if you wish. I honestly do not understand the negative nelly' out there. It sound's healthy to me. Cutting out sugar is always good. I have some great self made recipes to share with you for fruit smoothies if you like? You don't need to take 100% out of the diet either, just what works and is enjoyable for you.

You contradicted yourself in the span of two consecutive sentences. Glucose is glucose .. fructose is fructose ... sucrose is sucrose ... each sugar is chemically identical no matter the source. Demonizing sugar from one plant while endorsing the same chemical from another plant flies in the face of logic.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Sweetheart .. I'm not the confused one :)

Qft
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member

You contradicted yourself in the span of two consecutive sentences. Glucose is glucose .. fructose is fructose ... sucrose is sucrose ... each sugar is chemically identical no matter the source. Demonizing sugar from one plant while endorsing the same chemical from another plant flies in the face of logic.

Again - qft
  • tomw86
    tomw86 Posts: 71 Member
    edited February 2016

You aren't really a very pleasant person are you? And if you really want to butt heads with Rabbit and some of the other highly knowledgeable and experienced members on here then I wish you good luck (from my armchair whilst I watch and nom on some popcorn :D) cos darling you're on a hiding to nothing.
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    I wouldn't believe anything Dr. OZ says.