Dr oz

Replies

• skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    C A N E sugar. If your that confused go have a jelly bean :-p

No offence but I don't think you really have any idea about anything you've said so far. You should take the time to read the links posted already about Dr Oz. He's like Foodbabe, he earns his $$$ from endorsements.

From https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4495 Top 10 Worst Anti-Science Websites...

"5. DoctorOz.com

The nation's leading promoter of unscientific alternative medicine has grown increasingly visible as his web site continues rising through the rankings as its content grows and grows every day. Nominally a companion for his TV show, it's really little more than clickbait luring people on the web who might be looking for actual health advice to click on ads for Dr. Oz's "trusted sponsorship partners". Comically, on the page where he lists those partners, he says "Dr. Oz considers anyone that uses his name or picture to try to sell you a product or supplement reckless and dangerous."

For a healthy alternative, visit Quackwatch.com to get the scientific perspective on whatever misinformation Dr. Oz posted this week."
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member

Sugar is also a beet....can I have that. .. its a vegetable after all.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member

Really? Just cane sugar? Not sure how that's better or worse than any other sugar...guess I need to brush off my Masters and have my RD status revoked because I never learned this in all my years of education on diet and nutrition...you must have gone to a much better University than I did to get your Masters in Dietetics.
  • chunky_pinup
    No wheat (except 1/2 cup brown rice)
    • No artificial sweeteners (this includes all diet soda)
    • No white sugar
    • No alcohol
    • No caffeine (only green tea)
    • No dairy (except Greek yogurt)
    • No additional exercise
    • No meals between 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.

Lol

So caffeine is bad but green tea is ok?

Dairy is bad but Greek yoghurt is ok?

And, my personal favorite, brown rice is actually wheat. Who knew?

This is the "diet" he's hawking? This is hilarious.

Why is caffeine in green tea okay, but all other caffeine is bad? Is this chemically different? NO, lol

Why is dairy, aside from Greek Yogurt not allowed? How is Greek Yogurt so special?

No additional exercise? Why? Because you're starving yourself and not eating enough calories to even sustain your normal daily activities??

Rice is categorized as a "wheat" now? That's news to me!

No meals between 8-8?? So I work out at 5am, I'm just supposed to starve myself before and after a strenuous workout? Oh wait...I'm not supposed to exercise anymore.... :D:D:D

Is there a duck in here? Cuz all I hear is quack, quack, quack!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    So I hear that 99% of you think hes really bad but yesterday I had wrote down the diet and it's basically a fruit protien shake in the morning, fruit veges and rice, and eating protien chicken, turkey and fish. Hes said to cut out sugar and wheat. And to drink green and lemon teas and to snack on as much veg as you want.
    My question is just why is that bad when it seems a great lifestyle change...

I don't think that cutting out foods without a medical reason is a great lifestyle change. It wouldn't work for me. I've found that eliminating foods entirely and labeling them as "bad" or "off limits" made me think about them more, and I'd try and hold off, then I'd get my hands on some and binge. (Granted, I have problems with binging in general, so this may not apply to you.)

Some people don't mind rules and elimination, but it can start affecting things like social situations (birthday cake for example or going to the bar with friends). And I enjoy bread; I want to be able to work it into my diet if it's something I enjoy. Eating food doesn't have to be boring.

And I would look at the calories the diet works out to; you don't want a really large deficit because it's not going to be sustainable long term.

Instead of rules, I chose to get most of my calories from whole, nutritious foods. I add in some treats within my calories. It works for me. Utilizing MFP really has helped with this; much better than following any particular diet.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    It makes me happy when I click on a thread and see so many people that can spot bad info . stopping the spread of misinformation is so important here .
    A newcomer or lurker could believe it If we left misinformation go unchallenged .
    Dr oz is in it to make money , he doesn't care who is false statements hurt as long as he is getting richer . it pleases me that so many here know dr oz is a joke.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    • No white sugar
    • No alcohol
    • No additional exercise

Lol

No exercise? Such a random list...
  • zoeysasha37
    auddii wrote: »
    • No white sugar
    • No alcohol
    • No additional exercise

Lol

And don't forget - no eating between 8pm-8am! Lol ! I guess he's going by the old myth that the foods will instantly turn to fat because your not up and active to burn them ! Lmao
    The entire list is a joke! Lol
  • chunky_pinup
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

It'd be funnier if it wasn't so scary how many people probably fall for it....ugh

• zoeysasha37

It'd be funnier if it wasn't so scary how many people probably fall for it....ugh

True! All we can do is try to counter the misinformation and teach people the truth. It is sad that some will still go with the fads and gimmicks though.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

True! All we can do is try to counter the misinformation and teach people the truth. It is sad that some will still go with the fads and gimmicks though.

In 6-12 months he'll have a new gimmick to sell and the gullible will pay.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    • No white sugar
    • No alcohol
    • No additional exercise

Lol

And don't forget - no eating between 8pm-8am! Lol ! I guess he's going by the old myth that the foods will instantly turn to fat because your not up and active to burn them ! Lmao

Look at what happened to the mogwai if you fed them after midnight....
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I wish more people would take the time to break down these fad diets in the way that @rabbitjb and @FunkyTobias did in order to show how inconsistent, arbitrary, and illogical the "rules" are. OP now that you've seen some of that outlined, do you understand why people are saying it's unnecessary? Not that there aren't some decent practices in there, just that on the whole, the list doesn't make a lot of sense and is certainly not a magic bullet for weight loss. Combine that with the info that people have shared about how Dr Oz has actually been brought before congress to testify about his fraudulent claims, this is why people say to disregard his advice.

You can make healthful choices and still achieve great results without following his plan. So many of the people here have had tremendous success in losing weight, improving their health, achieving fitness goals, and maintaining that success. You don't need Dr Oz, or even MFP to do that, of you take the time to really learn about what your body needs in the way of energy, nutrients, portion sizes, etc. Taking short cuts and following prescribed programs likely mean you don't learn these important things for yourself, which is critical for long term success...
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Here's a tip: Anything that Dr. Oz endorses is crap and not worth your time.

That pretty much wraps it up, nothing else needed to add.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited February 2016
    It makes me happy when I click on a thread and see so many people that can spot bad info . stopping the spread of misinformation is so important here .
    A newcomer or lurker could believe it If we left misinformation go unchallenged .
    Dr oz is in it to make money , he doesn't care who is false statements hurt as long as he is getting richer . it pleases me that so many here know dr oz is a joke.

This, but it saddens me to see how someone who has been here since 2013 with 500+ posts can still be a Dr. Oz defender as well as a lot of the other misguided info posted i.e. cane sugar.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

This, but it saddens me to see how someone who has been here since 2013 with 500+ posts can still be a Dr. Oz defender as well as a lot of the other misguided info posted i.e. cane sugar.

I'm going with contrarian.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I'm going with contrarian.

You're much kinder than I am. MUCH kinder.
  • giantwisdom
    giantwisdom Posts: 22 Member
    I got told today from someone whos daughters been on it since january and lost 5 and half stone so thought id ask :)

Any diet can work for a short period of time. The true tests of a good diet are (a) whether the weight (assuming it's fat and not muscle) can stay off and (b) whether the dieter can live a high-quality life while eating in the prescribed manner (who cares if a diet works if you have to suffer indefinitely to keep the weight off)?
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    So I hear that 99% of you think hes really bad but yesterday I had wrote down the diet and it's basically a fruit protien shake in the morning, fruit veges and rice, and eating protien chicken, turkey and fish. Hes said to cut out sugar and wheat. And to drink green and lemon teas and to snack on as much veg as you want.
    My question is just why is that bad when it seems a great lifestyle change...

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!
    :-D
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    I got told today from someone whos daughters been on it since january and lost 5 and half stone so thought id ask :)

Any diet can work for a short period of time. The true tests of a good diet are (a) whether the weight (assuming it's fat and not muscle) can stay off and (b) whether the dieter can live a high-quality life while eating in the prescribed manner (who cares if a diet works if you have to suffer indefinitely to keep the weight off)?

Any diet involving a caloric deficit can work - over time. OP is claiming that a friends' daughter lost 77 lbs. in seven weeks. Plain and simple, that ain't happening. Period. No matter what diet one is on, or what dream world one lives in.