Dumb advice people have given you...

Options

Replies

• Cougartooth
    Cougartooth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    MeganD_96 wrote: »
    Here's another one I had forgotten about, fortunately it was from a different person however it's a bit personal.

"You're asexual because you're fat. If you lose weight, you'll be straight in no time!" Somehow I don't think so!

Wow, Your weight now determines your sexuality? That's got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    crewbprice wrote: »
    You have to use a food scale to count calories well

This is actually good advice.
  • Cougartooth
    Cougartooth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It drives me insane when people tell me I need to do "gluten free" because it is so bad for me. When I ask them what gluten is, they say I don't know but it's bad for you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Most of our stores have the beer and wine on the perimeter.

Shop the perimeter! :smile:
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It drives me insane when people tell me I need to do "gluten free" because it is so bad for me. When I ask them what gluten is, they say I don't know but it's bad for you.

Oh my goodness! All the time, with this suggestion. Or no sweets. Or no dairy. No ______, you name it.

I do kind of get it. When I was in high school, I thought that magic number was 1200. AND that it had to be from foods like celery and carrots. Haha It's frustrating when you know better now
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There is no way you can lose and maintain through a calorie deficit, you MUST USE isogenix! This is the only way to ensure permanent weight loss. Also, from the same person, the reason your children eat so much is because you feed them nutrient deficient vegetables and fruits that are non-organic!

Lets give him a round of applause! The king of woo!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I was 300, 315, I dunno maybe 325 .. started seeing a personal trainer. at the time I could do about 10 minutes on an elliptical before I was wheezing like a walrus and ready to collapse. I was told that anything less than 30 minutes is "useless" and that anything under 20 minutes "doesn't even burn any calories". While this may have a nugget of truth for a super fit person, it is an incredibly stupid thing to say to a sedentary 300+lb person who is just starting out. 10 mins > 0 mins - this isn't even up for debate. Anyhow I liked the new trainer I got after that a lot better anyway.
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wow - love all these pieces of dumb advice - I've heard 'em too!
    I'll add another category - basically any weight loss advice from someone one who hasn't gone through menopause. What works before does not always work now. And even then it's really individual. Some people really do have to rein in their carbs big-time, others are fine with them.
    Recently I had a Wheat Belly fanatic get all over my business online because I didn't necessarily go along hook line and sinker with the Wheat Belly "koolaid" that she was drinking LOL! I'm glad it helped her personally and totally respected her, but she was saying that EVERYONE should go this route and if they don't they're just terribly brainwashed.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

I remember a time when this was more true. In my area a lot of the regular grocery stores caught on and now you do get the produce and meat and sometimes a deli but that also comes with the bakery, but we can't even always get dairy on the perimeter or anything else good. It's beer & wine, ice cream and frozen desserts, chips, cookies, processed frozen tv dinner type meals, bologna and bacon and other super high salted meats, etc. Some even have deli and fish in the center now.

I'm ok with walking aisles though because it's more movement lol.
  • MeganD_96
    MeganD_96 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    MeganD_96 wrote: »
    Here's another one I had forgotten about, fortunately it was from a different person however it's a bit personal.

"You're asexual because you're fat. If you lose weight, you'll be straight in no time!" Somehow I don't think so!

Wow, Your weight now determines your sexuality? That's got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

It certainly is! I said to him "I'm asexual now and I'll be asexual when I'm at my goal weight so I would just quit while you're ahead pal!" He didn't take it too well. Haha!
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Don't eat after 6pm because you won't burn any of the calories unless you exercise after eating

Never eat carbs for dinner

Always leave five hours between meals

Just have a light soup or a salad for lunch (This may work for some, but I need food that fills me up.)

If you lower your calorie intake, your weight will yo-yo as soon as you start eating more again (She obviously didn't grasp the idea of TDEE and maintaining)

And my favourite: Beer can't have a lot of calories since it's a liquid. (To be fair, he believed me when I opened MFP and showed him that he had just drunk 440 cals)
  • crewbprice
    crewbprice Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    crewbprice wrote: »
    You have to use a food scale to count calories well

This is actually good advice.

You can see my response on the previous page
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    cara4fit wrote: »
    Wow - love all these pieces of dumb advice - I've heard 'em too!
    I'll add another category - basically any weight loss advice from someone one who hasn't gone through menopause. What works before does not always work now. And even then it's really individual. Some people really do have to rein in their carbs big-time, others are fine with them.
    Recently I had a Wheat Belly fanatic get all over my business online because I didn't necessarily go along hook line and sinker with the Wheat Belly "koolaid" that she was drinking LOL! I'm glad it helped her personally and totally respected her, but she was saying that EVERYONE should go this route and if they don't they're just terribly brainwashed.

Smiles. I'm with you on the menopause advice. I recently saw a 19 year old boy giving menopause diet advice. :) And yes, some of us really do have to reign in the carbs at menopause, and there is scientific evidence that this is necessary for some. Just as some pre-menopausal women (such as those with PCOS) may have to reign them in.

Glad you're finding what works for you. Me too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I remember a time when this was more true. In my area a lot of the regular grocery stores caught on and now you do get the produce and meat and sometimes a deli but that also comes with the bakery, but we can't even always get dairy on the perimeter or anything else good. It's beer & wine, ice cream and frozen desserts, chips, cookies, processed frozen tv dinner type meals, bologna and bacon and other super high salted meats, etc. Some even have deli and fish in the center now.

I'm ok with walking aisles though because it's more movement lol.

Heh. I like the way you think.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Just cut down on the cakes and desserts, this was from a gp! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few months later.......

Needless to say I don't see that gp anymore

I should also point out I wasn't eating dessert ever and cake only on special occasions at the time.
  • Lose2Cruise2016
    Lose2Cruise2016 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    From random ahole at the gym: I'm a girl so I should take a dance class or something to lose weight instead of lifting...

My daughter (22) and I had this discussion at the gym this morning ... not so much for her generation (at least I thought) but when I was growing up we were always told "girls/women shouldn't lift, lifting will make women all bulky and muscle-bound." She finds that hilarious - just shakes her head and does her squats!

• barby8051
    barby8051 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm so sick of hearing how wheat and corn cause obesity. People keep buying that Wheat Belly book and tell me what I'm doing wrong. 75 lbs down, and apparently I don't know what I'm doing.

OMG! I know, right?! 95 so far for me but countless(and pretty much CLUELESS) people continue to tell me how to do it right. I figure eventually they will realize how much smaller I am and feel pretty stupid.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    "You don't really have to be fat. You could wear Spanx and train your fat to compact itself."

I win :|
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    After I losing 60 pounds: "what did you do? Cut out the McDonald's?" I don't think I've eaten from McDonald's in 20 years...
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    "You don't really have to be fat. You could wear Spanx and train your fat to compact itself."

I win :|

HAHA! We have a winner