Hey, how about if you don't read someone's diary...

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    And dont comment "great loss" when its -.2lbs.

Geez, people get slammed for eating too little and losing too fast. But they can't get congratulated for a small loss. Sanctimonious people sure have a lot of rules. :grumble:

A loss is a loss. If someone goes down .2lbs I congratulate them because its progress. Just because its not a whole lb doesn't make it negligible. I also congratulate friends who up their lift weights by 2.5-5lbs because as I said its progress.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't get why it irks so many MFP's! If I have time I do look at friends diaries, it's interesting, particularly if we are following a similar path. I like to see how their doing with their macros and calories, and what kind of foods they eat! I don't condone consistent under eating but people use the message board to receive support as well as give it. We really can have no idea what is going on in their life or their mind! Yes there are folks on here eating at too great a deficit, but how many of us haven't at one time or another. Sometimes people just need time and support to find the right path for them. I wouldn't dream of deleting someone just because they don't do thing the way I do.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't comment unless i actually go in and look at how their day panned out.

^^^ this.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    DON'T comment "great job!"... I'm tired of seeing comments of that nature, then I look at the diary and the person only ate 500 calories that day. :noway: Wtf? How the hell is that a good job? STOP encouraging eating disorders! If you aren't going to take the time to at least glance at the diary... just don't comment. :explode:

Ok, rant over. Carry on. :wink:

I love the 'Great burn' people post because someone did 10 minutes of walking.....seriously? WTF? How about a great burn is when you did an hour of walking at 4.5mph....

rant over.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I want people on my list that have similar goals. I don't have much in common with someone who eats 800 calories a day, or eats mcdonalds for all of their meals. I want support, ideas, and like-minded individuals.

Delete and move on.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    This is why I usually don't comment on diaries.
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    oh my god i know. it drives me nuts.
  • krisjohnson121
    krisjohnson121 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I find it motivating when people make real comments - based on what I actually ate in my diary or what exercises i did. Saying arbitrarily that I did a great job does nothing for me. There are days when life happens and I may miss a meal - and I love it when people call me out on it because I know when I miss a meal - it hurts my workout or causes me to binge at my next meal. THANKS YOU friends who call me out!
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I only read diaries when someone suggests that I do, or if it's a friend...

I know what you're saying though. I am one of those that eats under my calorie goals, and when I see my update and other updates (especially since I have a friend on my list that has an eating disorder) I often think... "Wow, many of us are always under our calorie goal", It's probably better to be over....

I am trying to find a new strategy though... I have trained myself to proper proportions, and I eat 4-6 times a day. So I am just trying to figure out how to incorporate a little more food (to increase the calories) without adding in a bunch of junk food.

When I set my goal up, I wasn't exercising. Lost 5 lbs the first month. Now that I am exercising though, so I will need to adjust my deficit. I have lost 5lbs in 2 weeks (which is not too bad, but it's probably better to eat more). I can see my body getting a little angry with me soon, lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    DON'T comment "great job!"... I'm tired of seeing comments of that nature, then I look at the diary and the person only ate 500 calories that day. :noway: Wtf? How the hell is that a good job? STOP encouraging eating disorders! If you aren't going to take the time to at least glance at the diary... just don't comment. :explode:

Ok, rant over. Carry on. :wink:

I love the 'Great burn' people post because someone did 10 minutes of walking.....seriously? WTF? How about a great burn is when you did an hour of walking at 4.5mph....

rant over.

Meh, I don't have a big list of friends but some of them struggle with the exercise part. Either because of their size or psychology or physical ailments. If they post 10 min walking at a slow pace I will absolutely give them props.
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What a bobble.

I hope the OP tells me great job on my diary today.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    all of you guys are doing a great job :)
  • LauraBalyk
    LauraBalyk Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I agree. I like to actually LOOK at the food diary, and then I will usually find somerhing in it to comment on, whether it is " yumm that chicken veg stir fry sounds amazing" or something less generic than just "good job"
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My diary isn't open (to my knowledge), and the only reason why is because I don't always log all of my foods (usually just forget to add dinner, which is almost always salad), or some days I don't log at all, even though I still eat healthy and exercise. Would that prevent you from commenting?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    So people are actually trolling other people's food diary? This is why I turned off my "...completed her food diary..." autoposts. If it isn't in their newfeed, they aren't going to comment.

This!!
  • musicrocks133
    musicrocks133 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My diary isn't open (to my knowledge), and the only reason why is because I don't always log all of my foods (usually just forget to add dinner, which is almost always salad), or some days I don't log at all, even though I still eat healthy and exercise. Would that prevent you from commenting?

Same here. There are times when I don't log for 2-3 days but I pretty much know how many calories I eat. I am still losing weight
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I usually comment without reading the diary. I'm sure the majority of people are this way.

ummmmmm

no.

why would you comment without looking?

I personally wouldn't comment without looking. If I am going to give a compliment, it is going to be real. It means nothing otherwise. Likewise, if someone is going to compliment me, on MFP or in real life, I want it to be sincere. I'd much rather get no response than a fake one.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So people are actually trolling other people's food diary? This is why I turned off my "...completed her food diary..." autoposts. If it isn't in their newfeed, they aren't going to comment.

This!!

Mine doesn't write to my feed but it's open so I still get comments sometimes.
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Some people are getting way off subject here. The whole point is that many times, people think they are being encouraging by blindly posting "Great job!" or "Nice Burn!" on things. That is not encouraging. That is fake and meaningless. I personally dont feel like reading other people's diaries, therefore I dont comment on them. If someone wants to read the diaries and comment, fine, but it is more meaningful to be specific about what you are commenting whether it be a nod for being under calories, or getting lots of protien, or eathing something that sounds delicious. To those who argue that someone may be anorexic, or have the flu, or something where eating 500 cals is a good thing, well awesome for them! Feel free to comment if you want to! But again, something specific is more meaningful than "good job".