WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    NC Carol ... So sorry your job is giving you grief...

Meg ... Jack Daniels does not pair well with pain killers ... Sorry you're in pain...
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    mela5b1rlgob.jpg

So true. Lol.

Carol in NC. (((Hugs)))

<3 Rosie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: You are an amazing & wonderful grandma. It is one of your gifts. :flowerforyou:

Becca: We had a sick spell that lasted for weeks around the Christms holidays and into January. I hope you are not having a similar experience. Rest well, & drink plenty of warm liquids. I like coffee and mint tea, but not all at the same time. :wink:.

Joyce: (((hugs)))

Meg: I am so sorry to hear that you have four herniated discs. The pain must be horrible. I used advil and alcohol as a pain reliever for a while. The combination was effective, but possibly not the best choice. :noway: Medical marijuana works better for pain relief, but I don't know whether it is legal in your state. :ohwell:

Barbie: I love the idea of dancing, but I don't have the gift. I get my directions mixed up and end up with my head spinning. Years ago DH and I went to a square dance. I got dizzy and had to sit it out. :sick:

The last I heard, DS and DDIL were still driving. I'm not sure what state they're in at the moment, but I hope they have stopped for rest by now. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

• Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Up much too late tonight, can't sleep. Rreading here helps pass the time.

Joyce: ((((hugs)))) sending prayers for your sister.

<3 Rosie
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I am still awake 4:47 am. I am going to a Homeopathic Dr. today to see if he has any suggestions!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    (((Mary and Sunnygirl))) Sorry you can't sleep.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Carol/Peach- thanks! I'm hoping that this Dr. has some suggestions other then pills that cause horrible side affects. There are a lot of us that have this issue. If I find a remedy I'll pass it on.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Friday! Yea! It's Friday! Doing the Friday dance!

ljdw- Hello and welcome! There are a few of us on here that are on a higher protein diet. My meal plan has me at between 37-39 g of protein per meal, and five meals per day. (My day starts at 4:30 am and ends around 8:30 or 9pm most days) 37-39g of protein equals out to be about a 4 1/2 -5 oz chicken breast, piece of beef, can of tuna, etc. That's a lot of meat. But eggs, yogurt, and 4% fat cottage cheese save me for a couple of meals a day. I do start out my day with a chocolate flavored protein shake made with almond milk and a banana. The protein powder is an acquired taste. It took me about a week to get used to the flavor. I was choking it down that first week; but I figured I was choking down a lot of protein that I didn't like either, so what's the dif?! PLUS, having to have more protein sure does raise your grocery budget! Yikes! I hope you can get a little help out of this info and the info the others have given you!

Heather- I love this pics of the kids and you are so lucky (I know you know that) to have them to bring some joy into your life when life seems to be sucking all joy from you.

Carol
    - You just have to breathe and find your happy place. Don't sweat the candy. It happens. I have to agree with some of the other girls and wonder if the 15 hours a week is really worth the grief? Is there a way you could speak with the supervisor in regards to "steps" that need to be followed if you have a complaint with a co-worker, such as first address the issue with the co worker concerned and if no solution to the issue is found, then go to the supervisor? That is the normal course to take; unless they don't recommend that course of action nowadays due to gun carrying, anger fueled co-workers... LOL, I haven't been in an outside the home work environment in about 23 years. Oh well, deep breaths. Hugs coming your way! Lay off the candy!
    Mary and Sunnygirl- Ugh! Insomnia is the worst! I don't know about you ladies, but when I can't get my sleep I am not only cranky, but I am cold all day and just want food I can't/shouldn't eat. Thinking of you both! <3
    Sylvia- YOU are a wonderful grandma! What a fun and special day for you and your granddaughter. Of course the others are wanting their turn with you! I find it funny that your dh doesn't like frosting! My dh won't eat any cake/brownie unless there is about an inch of frosting!
    Barbie, Katie, and all of the others with car recalls/problems- Mysterious warning lights going on and recalls for issues
    that should never be issues are one/two of my pet peeves! Grrrrr....some times I think a horse and buggy sounds much better. Let's check with our "horsey" friends...I think it is Sue and Karen? who have horses? Which is cheaper car upkeep or horse upkeep?
    Penny- How are things in the great white north?
    Love and hugs to all of you ladies suffering through your own health issues and caring for loved ones who are suffering. <3
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    5267.gif
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I am still awake 4:47 am. I am going to a Homeopathic Dr. today to see if he has any suggestions!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
    I can't imagine how horrible that must be. Hope the doctor finds something to help you. Acupuncture helped my son, have you tried it?

Had date number 1 last night, I'm afraid he is not the man for me...picture Uncle Fester and 150 lbs. over weight. I know I'm being shallow, but I can't picture myself with someone who can barely walk me to my car. He also talked way to much and had to stop himself so I could speak. Before he went to the men's room he jokingly said it was my opportunity to bail, I considered it for a moment, but of course I would never do that. I was very kind and gracious and thankful that he didn't ask to see me again. I gave him a peck on the cheek to thank him for dinner. Date number 2 is tomorrow and according to his full body picture that is apparently very recent, he is fairly fit. The picture of date number 1 was just a head shot...

Have to work off those dinner calories today and unfortunately it's supposed to rain. Good news is that it will be sunny tomorrow for the Harvard Square date so I may get to walk off extra calories.

Good day everyone
    Chris in MA
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    OOoooooh! I almost forgot! Found the most wonderful recipe for lentils! I wanted to share with you. It makes a really great lentil patty. I don't have a food processor, so I couldn't process the lentils and herbs down, so I just used a hand masher and mashed them a bit. They pattied up fine and cooked nicely. Flip them gently in the pan, bc they are fragile...but OH. SO. TASTY. My new favorite way to eat lentils. Tastes like falafel. I also ate mine with out the pita on a bed of a greens mix. (Romaine, spinach, red cabbage) and I added home made tzatziki as the topping.
    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/lentil-fritter-pitas-cabbage-slaw
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hey from philly! Dd and i enjoyed a stressfree drive in to town very early to meet up with my oldest sister's contractor about remodeling her bathroom to make it safe for aging in place as well as putting in a roll in shower in case she uses a wheelchair (which is inevitable imo) very friendly, professional, we will see his price...worried it will be outrageous!

Looked for a concert or show to catch, no go but we walked the phila art museum, ah those famous steps, everybody runs up them singing the theme from rocky still! Also walked the rodin, boy were we exhausted bet i got in 10,000 steps. Had our favorite noodles from han dynasty and fell in to bed.

Letting her guide the day today but ending with dinner at another sister's place (i have 5 sisters). Enjoying cuddle time and talk time with my lovely kid, who happily puts down the phone when we are together. Who could ask for anything more with a 17 year old.

sylvia i want a birthday like you gave your dear one this week. Nothing better!

Karen from ny in philly! (Yes it is pricey, but having a memorable time)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,339 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!
    Good Friday is a bank (public) holiday in the UK, but we still got a rubbish (trash) collection. Hooray! I set the alarm on my phone to remind us to put it out last night when we arrived home late. We had loads of garden stuff for the green collection plus our usual.
    Our journey went well, which was a relief. We were catching the very last train before the holiday, when the line is closing altogether for maintenance work for four days. It was very crowded, but we got on early, got the seats we like, forward facing with a tray in front of us and we were able to have our picnic in peace, despite the crowds. Unfortunately, I spilt the very healthy seaweed and edamame bean salad I had bought to go with my sushi and a lot of it went on the floor. Oooops! Good job it was the last train! The changeover at Winchester went fine, so we arrived home in good spirits, having talked about the grandchildren all the way. :D On the way up we just talked about DH's family troubles.
    It really does him so much good to play with the grandchildren. My DDIL and I enjoyed listening to him and them setting off on their imaginary "adventures" , building their dens etc. I was holding the baby, but I have learned a lot from him and enjoy playing their games so much more than I used to.

This morning it was Gloria Steinem on Desert Island Discs on the radio. I had a little cry at one of her choices - "Isn't She Lovely!" Aaaaawwwwwww! I could just see my little Bea. :love:

Joyce - Big hugs for you as you have yet another loved one going through the mill. (((HUGS)))

Katla - Hope everyone arrives safe and sound. <3

Meg - Ouch! So sorry life sucks at the moment. :'( Thinking of you.

Love to anyone struggling at the moment. <3 That includes the sleepless! Rotten.

Going to be careful of calories over the weekend. Don't want that pesky pound to become two or three. Salmon tonight. :D

Heather UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »

Barbie: I love the idea of dancing, but I don't have the gift. I get my directions mixed up and end up with my head spinning. Years ago DH and I went to a square dance. I got dizzy and had to sit it out. :sick:

:)Katla, You and I have both talked about finding a way to be active that you like.....I love dancing but am terrified at the thought of riding a horse. You love your riding classes and get dizzy from dancing....How great that each of us has found something we like a lot and can do regularly. :)

<3 Barbie

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    B)
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Pip - Great news about Kirby's recovery!

Carol - Sounds like an awful day. I'm so sorry your second job is getting on your nerve! That sounds like a pretty abusive situation. How hard would it be to find a different second job?

Anne - I'm the opposite, stress makes me pack on the weight! But whichever way we cope, it's a pain to be always thinking about it. Enjoy your gym time!

Meg - Enjoy your date with Jack but take care of yourself! Four herniated discs would make anybody cranky!

I weighed myself for the first time since hopping "back on the wagon" and posted a small weight loss (4 pounds, but that's over several weeks) so that's good. Today is D-day, as in picking up the new foster dog. It was also going to be strength training day but it feels too soon so I think I'll walk dogs this afternoon and then do strength tomorrow. It'll be good social time for Luna and Phoebe (our new doggy house guest). I'm trying to work it around to doing strength training on Tuesdays and Fridays, but I got off on the wrong foot by starting on Wednesday. Besides, yesterday on our walk we went by a house with two Irish Wolfhounds in the back yard, and I want to meet those people! I miss my wolfie a lot and would love to have a couple to love on.

Speaking of love, here is a photo of my boys enjoying a beautiful day on the front porch yesterday. The black one is Pooka and the Maine Coon is Phineas.

suubazbbywkd.jpg

-Yvonne in TX
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I hate funerals. Have to be there in an hour and a half, just waiting for the DH to get out of the shower, and we'll head in.

Wrote this early this morning:

A Terza Rima for Cody Dulaney

We all knew he would have hated the memorial,
    The tears, and all the people wearing black.
    He’d have found all the flowers deplorable,

He’d much rather been thrown in the back
    Of a pickup truck, or a travois and dragged
    Behind his horse, up to the old line shack

On the divide, where the rimrock’s cragged
    And clean and the sky is open wide
    With no space where tongues are wagged

With small-town gossip about how he died
    It doesn’t matter anyhow
    What matters is his brown-haired bride

And those babies needing, here and now
    That man who’s gone away
    But she’ll stand up, somehow.

We buried him on Good Friday
    And somewhere in her broken heart
    She must have hoped the Passion Play

Was real and that he’d played the part
    Of Jesus, and that just maybe
    On Sunday he would rise, a fresh start

Just this once, Lord, so she and his babies
    Wouldn’t have to go on alone
    Without him, could this day be

Any worse? It could, indeed, for unbeknown
    To so many saying, “Seriously, is it true?”
    His parents had arranged his tombstone

Would be sharing his brother’s view,
    In a world where it seems pain is all they knew,
    Who’d believe they'd have to bury two.

© Lisa C Hannon
    March 25, 2016
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Janetr how true.

Mary I have mentioned it before. Tart cherry juice before bedtime. (Natural melatonin) Deep breathing like in singing or meditating. Now that the weather is starting to turn getting outside in the morning for a half an hour. These are things that might help you get to sleep. There is something called GABA you can get at a health store. I get mine at Mississippi Market that always helps to calm. I have it with a small piece of cheese. Before taking this I would discuss this with the Homeopath. There is also a CD I listen to that I got from a book on sleep that I sometimes listen to. Waking during the night is not that unusual. It is the not getting back to sleep after you wake up that is worrisome.

Sweet dreams my friends.