WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Hi.Sorry I have been mia most of the month.My knees have gotten so bad I can hardly walk even with a walker.We finally got insurance and Im seeing an ortho dr about a knee replacement.I am scared to death and have been very down.But I cant` live like this at 59.If anyone had one done any words of encourgement and of course prayers are welcome.
    Thanks ladies
    hugs jane

Heather, is right. I had my right knee replaced a year ago in January and the left 8 months later in September. I'm so glad I did. They both have some soreness and stiffness, some days worse than others. I no longer have the excruciating pain to the point I would break out in sweat and couldn't take another step. They had been bone on bone for several years and quite damaged. I'm still hoping that by the end of another year or so, the soreness and stiffness will be gone. You can do it.

Janetr okc
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lenora,might I add a discount? McDonald's has a senior drink. I'm not sure how much it is but when I get my item off the $ menu and ask for a senior drink it's $1.72. Also our Pizza Hut gives a 15% discount. Now whether that it is a local thing or not, I don't know. Walgreens sends me an Email about every month for senior Tuesday. I think it is 10 or 15% There are also discounts if you have AAA. Many of them are like what is on your senior discounts. Payless has a 15% with our AAA card.

Sylvia, how would your son accept changing locks and phone numbers. That way she couldn't get a hold of him to come back again. ell I guess he and you would have to change email adressess also. It's a shame he takes her back.

OK, I am going to be on my soap box. :s Why do people, especially of the younger generation and I am including my daughters who are in their mid to late 30's think that they can only communicate by texting when using their cell phones? WOW, that was a long sentence. Today Michelle was out looking at cars. So she was sending us pictures and she and her Dad, him in the bathroom, would send questions and answers back and forth. He eventually took our land line and just called her. That worked until the next car came along. I can't tell you the amount of texts that she sent me. Charlie has just now learned how to dial a number on a cell phone so he can't text her. And just like the way I am typing here, I type and text one fingered.

I think I told you about the tin can she was looking at. She came to her senses and said no to that. Yes, it had voice activation everything in it, keyless start, but it was a tin can and she has 3 good size dogs and frequently babysits 2 other dogs. She ended up getting a Kia Soul. She said she would never get the Cube because i looks like a box. Well the Soul doesn't look much better. at least it has better ground clearance. She was very stressed, this was her first car she has bought herself since leaving home and then being married. Her boyfriend went with her and helped.

Pip, I love your dogs new haircut.

Joyce, Indiana
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    CJ, about crazy names like "Latrine", my husband was on a plane yesterday and the pilot came on the PA system and asked for someone by the name of "Jordmor". Now that may well be a name, but it's also the Norwegian word for midwife. So when the pilot said "If Jordmor is on board, please come to the cockpit" there was consternation and some snickering among the passengers. :p

/Penny
    I can just imagine that the passengers thought someone was going into labor...

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends,
    Last week at this time I was decompressing in the executive suite of the Marriott Hotel and Spa in Newport Beach, California.(That’s where the new profile pic was taken.) The national conference I was in charge of was over, and I was just reveling in the relief. I took full advantage of the beautiful salt water lap pool and got in two good swims before checking out on Sunday afternoon. Visited with a dear couple who I’ve known for years from when we all lived in Honolulu. She had a stroke a month ago, and I was shocked to see this normally smiling and vibrant woman walking and talking like a zombie. She is getting great care and will recover, but her story was an eye opener for me. :'(

The time change last week threw my four legged alarm clock for a loop and I missed out on some workout time. We’re back in sync now, and it feels great to be back into my usual exercise and food. routine. Did my workout with resistance bands today for the first time in 2 weeks. Wearing this fitbit has been a revelation. I’m really a slug! :( Struggling to hit the 10k steps per day, especially weekdays when I’m tied to my desk.

It’s taken me a full week of reading to catch up with this busy group. Have to say the photos of grandbabies and furbabies made me smile. :) No trips on the near horizon, so I’ll be back here again soon.

Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills were we just had 6 inches of snow

MARCH goals and progress to date
    Eat mindfully. = B
    Strength train 2x/week = C
    Beat February step total = A
    Take first step towards getting HI condo sold = A
    Weigh less at the end of the month = Up 2 pounds, but still time
    My word for 2016: Optimism
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,745 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Pip, Bullwinkle looks mighty spiffy there. Looks all fluffy and soft.

Janetr OKC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

KJL – the school pool is open for lap swimming $5 a visit, a discount to $120 for 25 visits but they have to be finished within the month… so you have to go every day…. And $5 is a lot for my budget - I regularly eat under $5 – but I cook.

Welcome newbies!

Sylvia – keep her emails (don’t read them – just keep them) you may need them sometime in a legal battle.

Lisa -we have turkeys here too, I love it when they decide to take on the cars in the road and the traffic comes to a stop – others get pissy, but I think it is really quite funny.

Jane – thinking of you!!!

Lenora - Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read everyones posts – good wishes to all, just tired I gardened for at least 3 hours everyday for the last 6 days, and I’m tired and sore…. To bed now and NO alarm clock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim from N. California
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,832 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    we are supposed to get snow on the first day of spring grrrrrr, oh well.. didnt eat to great and didn't get my 10,000 steps in, im sliding backwards.... I have a friend who sells Isagenix and has a container of pina colada shake mix for me, it is 40 bucks for 2 weeks worth which I think is alot, but will try it and it will be 2 shakes a day and a sensible meal
    going to feed DFIL and then come home and do some cooking as off tuesday I will be staying up with Faith... and then going to the Cape and then back with Faith
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    kimses you make an adorable bunny, the wedgie comment made me laugh out loud.

rori i missed why you are selling condo in HI, i am so jealous, dreaming of visiting hawaii someday.

heather beatrice is filling out, she is a stunner!

Forgot to tell you how the food drive luncheon went, well it was a bumpy road, but we turned it into a brunch, added tote bags to sell and all the $$ went to the community food pantry, my school raised the most $$ from an individual building and i carted a carful of canned goods to the pantry on friday. Felt good, if a little overwhelming for being so busy and sick. I will be the lead on the food drive next year. I am going to list all that work to be done so i can be more ready and organized next year. It is such a wonderful mission, the folks who volunteer regularly at the pantry are amazing folks.

Peaceful day everyone.
    Karen from ny
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Welcome ANOTHER MIRIAM! I so rarely meet other Miriams!

I am still in OK City, heading home in about an hour. I have been reading posts but not responding. Love to you all. Type to you later...
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 in July. Would you mind if I joined? Thanks, Maryam Elizabeth
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Ok, DJ, true confession time. I was looking at the bluejay picture on my iPad, so I was able to pinch to blow the picture up so that I could see if better.

More later, guys. I've got to clear my mind and prepare for this sermon at Mama's church today. If those so inclined would pray, I'd appreciate it. I'm speaking on Philippians 2:5-11, having a Jesus mindset.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,001 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    :)Alison, I lost weight using Isagenix and still have shakes daily....I credit Isagenix for getting rid of my cravings for sweets and increasing my energy, thus burning more calories...I wish you the same good results.

:)Maryam Elizabeth you are welcome to join our friendly community....keep coming back and join in the conversation

:) I learned from my father that the way to save money was to not spend it and that has served me well. I live simply, eat at home as much as possible, and seriously consider every purchase I make. Gretchen Rubin would call me an "underbuyer". I am not lured to shop by sales, coupons, or discounts unless it pertains to an item or service I was going to get anyway.

:) I got up early this morning and have the second load of laundry in the machine.....it has been over 30 years since I moved into my first house with a washer and dryer and I continue to feel huge gratitude whenever I do laundry in my own home instead of a shared laundry facility.

<3 Barbie from slightly overcast beautiful NW Washington
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,832 Member
    Options
    another senior discount~ Walmart eye center you get 30% off if your a member of AARP.
    DFIL ornery old goat today so he wouldn't eat.. so we left, made Tom breakfast and am making american chop suey for him
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Sunny but slightly cold here. Was hoping it would be a little warmer so I could do more outside today. Busy mind and body keeps me going. No pity party today going to try and be grateful for what I do have. As long as I stay busy I think I can be successful with that.

For those who garden I have tried planting bulbs each year but the squirrel and other animals keep digging them up. Any suggestions on what I can do? Trying to plant things that return each year with little or no maintenance. Love color in my yard. What to make it so when I sit out there I can take in the beauty and appreciate it. If that makes sense.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Thanks barbiecat :)
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Joyce, he has already changed his phone number, and she doesnt have a key to his apartment. He changed the passwords on his bank account, along with other accounts, and almost immediately got about 50 notifications from his bank saying someone had tried to access his account. He doesn't have much in there, but who knows what damage she could do.

This morning I woke up with pain in my gut, but this one doesnt feel quite like the blocked colon pain. Maybe more kidney, if I had to guess. Its kind of on the side. Thought maybe it would go away, but so far has not. I hate getting old. Everything hurts.

Typing is taking a long time. Bruno is on my lap and every so often he sticks his nose over the edge of the ipad and pushes it out of the way so I can focus on petting him. He's being very cuddly this morning. He especially likes when I stroke his face and run my finger along the groove that runs from his nose to the top of his head. His eyes close, all blissed out, and when I stop his eyes pop open and he says, "Why did you stop?". Silly, sweet dog.

Gotta go. Bruno needs me. Later, ladies.

Sylvia