Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
  • cee134
    Options
    mjaykup wrote: »
    Was someone like "i don't *kitten* believe you! Give me your damn pinky you *kitten* liar!" thus creating the pinky promise?

Yeah! Maybe they got to cut off your pinky if you broke your promise!

I was curious. You actually are probably right.

Another possibility, however, is that it originates from Japanese. Japanese sources frequently suggest that the English phrase "pinky promise" is a translation/adaptation of a similar Japanese concept called 指切り (yubikiri, lit. "finger-cutting") which supposedly has its origins in yakuza loyalty practices (if someone promised to do something and performed a yubikiri, and then broke their promise, their finger would be cut off).
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Was someone like "i don't *kitten* believe you! Give me your damn pinky you *kitten* liar!" thus creating the pinky promise?

But who determined that losing a pinky was the appropriate punishment for breaking a promise. Maybe someone was like....you better not touch them! Not one finger, not even your pinky...PROMISE. Then that person booped them with their pinky? PINKY GONE

I hope it went down like that. Sounds fun! Could be like...cutting your hand off for stealing. Breaking a promise isn't as bad so it's like a punishment fits the crime scenario

But who determined that losing a pinky was the appropriate punishment for breaking a promise. Maybe someone was like....you better not touch them! Not one finger, not even your pinky...PROMISE. Then that person booped them with their pinky? PINKY GONE

I hope it went down like that. Sounds fun! Could be like...cutting your hand off for stealing. Breaking a promise isn't as bad so it's like a punishment fits the crime scenario

Breaking a promise can be pretty bad....but you wouldn't want to make a boob promise or peniz promise with a stranger......

Ouch :s

Then again, that's a promise you for sure are gonna want to keep.....
    I.......just never, ever want the two of you mad at me.....
  • cee134
    Options
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Did you know that all of the clocks in the movie "Pulp Fiction" are stuck on 4:20?
  • cee134
    Options
    The grass is not greener on the other side, it’s greener where you water it.