Cardio isn't for "fat burning".

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Cardio is done to improve cardio vascular fitness and burn calories. It will HELP with a calorie deficit and for some that do a lot of cardio, allow one to eat more versus someone at the same weight who does little or no cardio at all.
Like all other physical activity, GLYCOGEN will be the first thing burned before fat is even touched (ratio will vary more to fat if duration extended and/or intensity is lower) so the addage that one needs to do cardio to burn fat is a myth. You burn fat with a calorie deficit. Don't believe it? Do whatever cardio you want, but eat your TDEE. You'll more likely keep the same bodyfat percentage if you keep doing that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• AdorkableRegal
    AdorkableRegal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Okay, then if Cardio isn't for fat burning what exercise do you recommend?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Surprised how this isn't common knowledge these days.
  • trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Okay, then if Cardio isn't for fat burning what exercise do you recommend?

• ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Great read and good insight!
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Being in good cardio vascular health makes you feel fantastic. And that should be enough

Also, I don't think enough this is promoted enough. It's the one thing that keeps me motivated to stick to my workouts. Even when exercise helps me with CICO, that isn't why I do it. The results take too long.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Like! I wish I could email this to a few people in my life that give me shyt for buying weights and a bar vs a treadmill and scoff at* my food diary. Dummyheads.
  • oedipuss
    oedipuss Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There was a headline in my local newspaper today......."Higher Car Park Charges Will Not Solve Child Obesity Crisis".

Well stop feeding your children mountains of sugary pap and endless fast food rubbish then.......and then make them walk to school!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    When I first saw your title, Joe, I thought "Oy vey! Here we go again!" then I saw it was you and your points were valid. Thanks for posting a proper thread on this. :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I was hoping for more "but fasted cardio" comments.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Being in good cardio vascular health makes you feel fantastic. And that should be enough

Running also feels a lot better when you aren't doing it in a calorie deficit and the same goes for lifting. A lot of people find running and lifting a lot harder than it should be because the only time they do them is when a) they are out of shape b) in a caloric deficit c) feeling obliged to do them.