Just eat the damn ice cream!

Options

Replies

• krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Eat the damn ice cream. Don't eat the entire damn pint.

@Sez3199 to quote Night of the Living Dead... "they're coming to get you, Sez3199"
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    I got into the best shape of my life eating 1-2 pints of Ben and Jerry's and Pizza daily. CICO.

Because clearly your calorie requirement is a good representation of everyone's on MFP.

Not.

Did you even read what I was quoting?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I got into the best shape of my life eating 1-2 pints of Ben and Jerry's and Pizza daily. CICO.

Because clearly your calorie requirement is a good representation of everyone's on MFP.

Not.

Yes, he said what he did to lose weight, not that everyone should do it. I have actually mastered the skill of reading.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

@Sez3199 to quote Night of the Living Dead... "they're coming to get you, Sez3199"

To be fair, I wasn't giving advice to the OP.
  • kittenonmars
    kittenonmars Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Lol, honestly, the "nice cream" sounds delicious. I hate most dairy ice cream, except chocolate or strawberry. I tend to prefer sorbets.
    But I just dont understand why people HAVE to eat the real thing they are substituting if they dont feel the need to and if the substitute is as good and satisfying.
    I mean, of course, people shouldnt feel deprived. If you want the full-on ice cream, eat it! It's quite easy to eat indulgent foods and still stick to your daily caloric goal :) Just eat some more carrots and you're good to go! (carrots are filling).

But regarding which one is more "healthy"... lets not kid ourselves into thinking that they are equal. Store-bought ice cream usually contains icky additives and the bad kinds of fats... Plus, sugar isn't actually bad for you. Too much sugar is...... In terms of healthiness, Id take the banana thing over the dairy thing anytime cos well... bananas are good for you no matter what. Just dont eat like... 20 of them xD.

* types this as she's eating chocolate ice cream... * well... at least I got the organic kind :-3
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sez3199 wrote: »
    peanuts are just fatty little boogers

This needs to be repeated. Sick of everyone and all their "peanuts and avocados are soooo healthy, why don't you eat more of them!" Well sure, whatever 'healthy'. But super calorie dense, maybe I'd rather have other stuff.

This thread needs more ice cream.*

post-34385-cat-ice-cream-gif-those-ears-t-nP1g.gif

*I am not advocating you give your cat ice cream. Obviously that's a huge waste of the ice cream and you should save it for yourself**

**Yeah I know, sugar is bad and chocolate poisonous for cats. I am being a smarta--.

Oh my goodness, this is the most adorable thing I've seen all day! I can haz moar kitteh GIFs?

P.S. I just came back from my run to find one of my cats licking out my greek yoghurt tub that I stupidly left on my desk after I finished it. Bad kitty parent.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    It's quite easy to eat indulgent foods and still stick to your daily caloric goal

...maybe for you. But not all. Therefore substitutions are beneficial.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Not.

Yes, he said what he did to lose weight, not that everyone should do it. I have actually mastered the skill of reading.

Ok so I don't understand your comment at all. I was saying that most people on MFP can't afford 2 pints of ice cream and pizza daily, so his post wasn't exactly helpful here. I didn't say anything about not eating ice cream (I love ice cream).
  • Rabidrunner
    edited March 2016
    Options

But regarding which one is more "healthy"... lets not kid ourselves into thinking that they are equal. Store-bought ice cream usually contains icky additives and the bad kinds of fats... Plus, sugar isn't actually bad for you. Too much sugar is...... In terms of healthiness, Id take the banana thing over the dairy thing anytime cos well... bananas are good for you no matter what. Just dont eat like... 20 of them xD.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you here, this was the most astonishing thing to me and triggered me to make this post in the first place - the nutritional profile is not so different at all! Really, we're talking about very small differences here. Believe me, I was surprised.

Also, regarding icky additives and bad fats, this depends on the ice cream that you buy. But again, case in point (Haargen Daz vanilla) this is the ingredient list: Cream, skim milk, sugar, egg yolks, vanilla extract.

I have zero problems with any of those ingredients!
  • kittenonmars
    kittenonmars Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you here, this was the most astonishing thing to me and triggered me to make this post in the first place - the nutritional profile is not so different at all! Really, we're talking about very small differences here. Believe me, I was surprised.

Also, regarding icky additives and bad fats, this depends on the ice cream that you buy. But again, case in point (Haargen Daz vanilla) this is the ingredient list: Cream, skim milk, sugar, egg yolks, vanilla extract.

I have zero problems with any of those ingredients!

Well yes. That's why the ice cream I had was organic. Im not against fats, sugar OR carbs :) All my days consistently has at least one of the macronutrients in the red because... meh. The important thing, I find, is that you should listen to your body. Once you let go of processed crap for a while, you gain the ability to "feel" which foods make you feel good or bad.
    So let me tell you that my problem is is processed food. You know, the kind that has been heated, filtered and modified into oblivion. THAT'S unhealthy. Not calories. Even calorie dense food can be healthy was my point.

But regarding nice cream vs ice cream. Neither is superior. It's just about what you crave... and for those who have trouble eating enough fruit as it is, it can be a good thing to try this nice cream. Personally I dont see the nice cream as a substitute, just like sorbet isnt!
  • MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I think one of the best things to learn is that good nutrition and losing weight are not the same thing. If I eat 1200 calories worth of Doritos a day, I will lose weight. I will feel like crap and probably be really hungry, but it will work.

Do I feel better when I load up with lean protein and lots of dark green, orange, red, yellow veggies and dark berries? You betcha.

I'm not making nice cream if I want ice cream. Luckily for me right now, a Fudgsicle is doing it for me, ice cream makes my tummy icky (but I do love it anyway), my 1280 a day is hard...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    A word of advice - if you're going to make banana 'ice-cream' make sure you peel the bananas before you freeze them. I learnt that the hard, finger numbing, curse inducing way.

Psst. Dip those frozen bananas in hot water for a bit - thaws the peel and it comes off easily. Plus, the peel protects the fruit from freezer burn. I store my overripe bananas this way for use in cakes and breads.
  • Rabidrunner
    edited March 2016
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    A word of advice - if you're going to make banana 'ice-cream' make sure you peel the bananas before you freeze them. I learnt that the hard, finger numbing, curse inducing way.

Psst. Dip those frozen bananas in hot water for a bit - thaws the peel and it comes off easily. Plus, the peel protects the fruit from freezer burn. I store my overripe bananas this way for use in cakes and breads.

Actually, I do it completely the other way around: I blend fresh bananas with the half and half, measure each serving out into a Tupperware container, add the PB, then I freeze a bunch of servings all at once. Then I just pull em out, ready to go, whenever I feel like it.

No need to worry about frozen skins, and you only have to do the blending and cleanup routine once. I'm all about economies of scale.
  • krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I first signed up for MFP, I gave in to the "Paleo" craze (it was new-ish back then). In an effort to be "healthier", I tried drinking coffee with a tablespoon of coconut oil mixed in instead of my usual Coffeemate creamer. I felt like I was drinking a candle.

Candle Coconut Coffee: 117 cal (tbsp coconut oil)

Coffeemate Coffee: 60 cal (2 tbsp creamer)

I love my Coffeemate creamer.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,618 Member
    Options
    Because of this thread, tonight I'm going to dip into the box of Trader Joe's Gone Bananas (chocolate covered banana bites) I've had sitting in my freezer.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    I usually have some greek yogurt mixed with protein powder, which has a significantly different nutritional profile than ice cream...then I'll have some ice cream with whatever calories/macros I have left.

I have a similar concoction nearly every night for dessert.

100g chobani yogurt
    100g full fat cottage cheese
    40g chocolate/peanut butter protein powder
    15g chia seeds

Mix it all together and refrigerate for a few hours, top with raspberries.

420 calories

20g carbs
    56g protein
    13g fat
    10g fibre

So much more filling and satisfying than a little bowl of icecream, for me anyways :lol:
  • Rabidrunner
    Options
    I'm thinking I'm going to crush a couple of Girl Scout Thin Mints and mix them in with my vanilla ice cream tonight... Mmmmmm
  • danielle4216
    danielle4216 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well you could argue that an organic banana is healthier than refined white sugar in ice cream
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Well you could argue that an organic banana is healthier than refined white sugar in ice cream

You *could*....
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I'm going to crush a couple of Girl Scout Thin Mints and mix them in with my vanilla ice cream tonight... Mmmmmm

Now we're talking.