Just eat the damn ice cream!

Options

Replies

• Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well you could argue that an organic banana is healthier than refined white sugar in ice cream

Well, it wasn't organic. So I guess I'll wake up tomorrow with an additional 10 pounds. Dang it. Ha!
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Sez3199 wrote: »
    Well you could argue that an organic banana is healthier than refined white sugar in ice cream

Well, it wasn't organic. So I guess I'll wake up tomorrow with an additional 10 pounds. Dang it. Ha!

And all that guilt.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Nah it's all good. I just get tired of the zombies on here spewing out the same rhetoric over and over again, whether it is warranted or not. On to the next!

Lol i get it. I asked a question maybe 2 years ago: "has anyone tried adipowers for lifting?" only to receive such responses as: "anything with a wide toe box and flat sole is fine!" or "i lift in socks" or "i lift, i do, i think, me me me me me me"... OH! I was lifting in stilettos this whole time. Thanks!

Hence why my post count is so low after being on here since '12.

Sorry for going off-topic a bit with this reply.

Oh man, I honestly think that there are teams of posters on here that make it their daily routine to go and post the same cookie cutter info on any thread they can find. The funniest is when I see some of these responses added where it doesn't really make sense.

*Dramatization*

OP: "how can I improve my 5k time?"

MFP Zombie: "The only thing that matters is CICO!"

Teehee, you know what I mean. I think we're on the same page and sorry for jumping down your throat :)

No no no .. I thought MFP was crystal clear that to improve your 5k time you have to go to a reputable running store and get a gait analysis and and be fit for $200 sneakers.
  • Rabidrunner
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

And all that guilt.

It's probably my guilt that weighs 10 pounds. And that's being conservative. ;)
  • Rabidrunner
    edited March 2016
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

Nah it's all good. I just get tired of the zombies on here spewing out the same rhetoric over and over again, whether it is warranted or not. On to the next!

Lol i get it. I asked a question maybe 2 years ago: "has anyone tried adipowers for lifting?" only to receive such responses as: "anything with a wide toe box and flat sole is fine!" or "i lift in socks" or "i lift, i do, i think, me me me me me me"... OH! I was lifting in stilettos this whole time. Thanks!

Hence why my post count is so low after being on here since '12.

Sorry for going off-topic a bit with this reply.

Oh man, I honestly think that there are teams of posters on here that make it their daily routine to go and post the same cookie cutter info on any thread they can find. The funniest is when I see some of these responses added where it doesn't really make sense.

*Dramatization*

OP: "how can I improve my 5k time?"

MFP Zombie: "The only thing that matters is CICO!"

Teehee, you know what I mean. I think we're on the same page and sorry for jumping down your throat :)

No no no .. I thought MFP was crystal clear that to improve your 5k time you have to go to a reputable running store and get a gait analysis and and be fit for $200 sneakers.

Ohhhhhh, now I know what I've been doing wrong! I'll have to give all my 5K prizes back then. Couldn't have been real wins.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

52252-George-Carlin--This-Is-Why-We-t9bE.jpeg
  • kittenonmars
    kittenonmars Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I think the point is that, while our body needs sugar, for the same amount of sugar you'd eat in cakes, soda and ice cream, you'd get a lot more important nutrients' worth from fruits. Cakes are for self indulgence. Fruits are for indulgence AND keeping your body up to speed and running. It is absolutely ludicrous to argue that a tablespoon of refined sugar is the same as an apple. Sorry, but if I cared enough about my health, i'd choose the apple. So yea, the molecular structure of sugar is the same in fruit as it is in refined sugar, but in the long run, you still have to be careful and give your body the vitamins it deserves without overloading it with sugar.

Anyway I understand why you'd roll your eyes at people who say its better to eat a banana, because you think they argue that the sugar itself is better(ok some do that probably, but they miss the point too), but if your goal is to optimize the vitamins and other micro nutrition while still losing weight, then it really is. Then you can have a glass of milk, and some eggs and you got your ice cream content right there without the added unnecessary sugar! But I guess that just doesn't make for a very satisfying ice cream experience :)

Anyway I'm not arguing against ice cream, I'm just spelling out why it is that people would argue that fruit is better than sugar in terms of health(it has nothing to do with weight loss, but everything to do with optimal bodily functions of brain, cell, aging etc).
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

I think the point is that, while our body needs sugar, for the same amount of sugar you'd eat in cakes, soda and ice cream, you'd get a lot more important nutrients' worth from fruits. Cakes are for self indulgence. Fruits are for indulgence AND keeping your body up to speed and running. It is absolutely ludicrous to argue that a tablespoon of refined sugar is the same as an apple. Sorry, but if I cared enough about my health, i'd choose the apple. So yea, the molecular structure of sugar is the same in fruit as it is in refined sugar, but in the long run, you still have to be careful and give your body the vitamins it deserves without overloading it with sugar.

Anyway I understand why you'd roll your eyes at people who say its better to eat a banana, because you think they argue that the sugar itself is better(ok some do that probably, but they miss the point too), but if your goal is to optimize the vitamins and other micro nutrition while still losing weight, then it really is. Then you can have a glass of milk, and some eggs and you got your ice cream content right there without the added unnecessary sugar! But I guess that just doesn't make for a very satisfying ice cream experience :)

Anyway I'm not arguing against ice cream, I'm just spelling out why it is that people would argue that fruit is better than sugar in terms of health(it has nothing to do with weight loss, but everything to do with optimal bodily functions of brain, cell, aging etc).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10197460/sugar-faq-june-2015/p1
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

You got all that from a George Carlin gif?

The OP talked about being surprised about the nutritional profile of what she thought was going to be a landslide victory for frozen bananas and how similar it was to ice cream Some people said they like the banana concoction or they use it as a way to use up aging fruit. No one had brought up "yeah but a banana is healthier", the inevitable statement that turns a nice thread about ice cream flavors into the same tired argument we have day in and day out. Until the post I quoted. That's all I was getting at.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

What if you've already met your micronutrient requirements for the day? Would the banana still be the "healthier" choice?

(Hint: your body doesn't give you extra credit for taking in more vitamins/minerals than you need)

(Another hint: I always choose Talenti over frozen banana sludge)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    I usually have some greek yogurt mixed with protein powder, which has a significantly different nutritional profile than ice cream...then I'll have some ice cream with whatever calories/macros I have left.

I have a similar concoction nearly every night for dessert.

100g chobani yogurt
    100g full fat cottage cheese
    40g chocolate/peanut butter protein powder
    15g chia seeds

Mix it all together and refrigerate for a few hours, top with raspberries.

420 calories

20g carbs
    56g protein
    13g fat
    10g fibre

So much more filling and satisfying than a little bowl of icecream, for me anyways :lol:

For 420 calories I could have 1.5 cups of the ice cream in my freezer; that's not a small bowl.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    When I first signed up for MFP, I gave in to the "Paleo" craze (it was new-ish back then). In an effort to be "healthier", I tried drinking coffee with a tablespoon of coconut oil mixed in instead of my usual Coffeemate creamer. I felt like I was drinking a candle.

Candle Coconut Coffee: 117 cal (tbsp coconut oil)

Coffeemate Coffee: 60 cal (2 tbsp creamer)

I love my Coffeemate creamer.

I made protein cookie dough. It was tasty, but a lot of effort, and apparently too much fiber for my system. I do much better with just a spoonful of peanut butter and a protein shake.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    I usually have some greek yogurt mixed with protein powder, which has a significantly different nutritional profile than ice cream...then I'll have some ice cream with whatever calories/macros I have left.

I have a similar concoction nearly every night for dessert.

100g chobani yogurt
    100g full fat cottage cheese
    40g chocolate/peanut butter protein powder
    15g chia seeds

Mix it all together and refrigerate for a few hours, top with raspberries.

420 calories

20g carbs
    56g protein
    13g fat
    10g fibre

So much more filling and satisfying than a little bowl of icecream, for me anyways :lol:

For 420 calories I could have 1.5 cups of the ice cream in my freezer; that's not a small bowl.

Qft. That's two servings of most of the Talenti flavors in my freezer atm.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    2 "servings" of ice cream wouldn't really touch the sides for me.
    My preference is large servings, plus this recipe is very dense and filling. Unfortunately I can't say the same for icecream, ymmv
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Sugars in a banana 3+2
    Or sugars in ice cream 7-2
    I'm having flashbacks to the Nutrition Debate.
  • kittenonmars
    kittenonmars Posts: 20 Member
    Options

What if you've already met your micronutrient requirements for the day? Would the banana still be the "healthier" choice?

(Hint: your body doesn't give you extra credit for taking in more vitamins/minerals than you need)

Well, given that the amount of recommended daily sugar amounts to very little fruit really, i think that if you eat candy and ice cream, you've pretty much ruined your chance at being optimal(not that you HAVE to be, i certainly am not) in that regard. Personally though, I think the recommended daily sugar intake came out of someone's *kitten* and is way too small as it is, but still... Ice cream has unnecessary, added, pure sugar. Sugar that you could have circumvented. Sugar in its pure form provides energy and fuel to the cells but little else. I doubt eating two bananas in a day is going to cover your micro nutrients, and even so, no one is saying that you should overdo it. We all know(hopefully) that too much of something is bad. Also it's important to eat a varied amount of food.

But you simply cant argue that ice cream compared to a banana or any other fruit is equally healthy, because ice cream contains added sugar, which is empty calories you could have gotten from a better source. But Im not saying people should not eat ice cream. Just that it's silly to argue that its equal to bananas in terms of health(getting the nutrients the body appreciates for running well) for the sake of patting each other on the back and saying "its ok, you can eat ice cream, its just like a banana!".
    If we're gonna indulge, let's do it in style without making up excuses for why we're not eating a banana instead. It's enough to say "Because I enjoy it" :) Just dont say "because I enjoy it" all the time, because then you're back to square one :p .

And please note that I'm not saying ice cream is unhealthy(the processed crap is though :P)... I mean its essentially just milk and eggs and flavor. But when you add sugar to anything, like too much salt, it's just not the optimal way. Which is fine. Just don't try to misrepresent the truth. I eat more salt than I should or is optimal, but at least I know this and take measures to counteract it.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I felt like I was drinking a candle.

Lmao. I think this is why I've never tried it,
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    anyone ever try to make this with like raspberries or strawberries? I think the berries are more nutritionally dense than bananas - if that's your aim in eating faux ice cream.

I think of banana like nature's chocolate bar, super calorie dense.
  • Rabidrunner
    Options

Well, given that the amount of recommended daily sugar amounts to very little fruit really, i think that if you eat candy and ice cream, you've pretty much ruined your chance at being optimal(not that you HAVE to be, i certainly am not) in that regard. Personally though, I think the recommended daily sugar intake came out of someone's *kitten* and is way too small as it is, but still... Ice cream has unnecessary, added, pure sugar. Sugar that you could have circumvented. Sugar in its pure form provides energy and fuel to the cells but little else. I doubt eating two bananas in a day is going to cover your micro nutrients, and even so, no one is saying that you should overdo it. We all know(hopefully) that too much of something is bad. Also it's important to eat a varied amount of food.

But you simply cant argue that ice cream compared to a banana or any other fruit is equally healthy, because ice cream contains added sugar, which is empty calories you could have gotten from a better source. But Im not saying people should not eat ice cream. Just that it's silly to argue that its equal to bananas in terms of health(getting the nutrients the body appreciates for running well) for the sake of patting each other on the back and saying "its ok, you can eat ice cream, its just like a banana!".
    If we're gonna indulge, let's do it in style without making up excuses for why we're not eating a banana instead. It's enough to say "Because I enjoy it" :) Just dont say "because I enjoy it" all the time, because then you're back to square one :p .

And please note that I'm not saying ice cream is unhealthy(the processed crap is though :P)... I mean its essentially just milk and eggs and flavor. But when you add sugar to anything, like too much salt, it's just not the optimal way. Which is fine. Just don't try to misrepresent the truth. I eat more salt than I should or is optimal, but at least I know this and take measures to counteract it.

Just want to throw it out there that I understand what you're saying, and I think you raise some great points. I think I know that on some level, eating an equivalent serve of banana is going to be all around more nutritious than ice cream, and I know that my body operates much better on the fuel from a banana than it does on the fuel of ice cream.

I don't intend to misrepresent the truth with my post (and I don't think most of your words were directed at me), but from a pure weight loss standpoint, the ice cream is a good performer by comparison!
  • Rabidrunner
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    anyone ever try to make this with like raspberries or strawberries? I think the berries are more nutritionally dense than bananas - if that's your aim in eating faux ice cream.

I think of banana like nature's chocolate bar, super calorie dense.

No, but that would be a nice addition, and maybe some cocoa too!