McDonald's

Options

Replies

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    wet666 wrote: »
    Advertising McDonald sandwiches on MyFitnessPal!?!?!? REALLY!

what is wrong with mcdonalds...it has fat, proteins, and carbs...sub out the fries and you have a pretty decent meal when in a pinch...

What's wrong with potatoes? lol.

Nothing wrong with potatoes, its the salt content in those fries.

According to their website: A quarter pounder has about 1,100 grams of sodium. Medium fries has 180. Their salads have 700-1000 grams....

I'm not disputing what there website states, but I seem to remember a recent emissions scandal at VW (I realize they are two completely different entities) but figures can be manipulated quite easily is my point.
    I would say there nutritional info is probably a lot more accurate on foods that do not have salt added after the cooking process. I have literally watched an employee stand over the fries with the shaker, then minutes later a second employee doing the exact same. That sodium level is not measurable unfortunately as the number vary from store to store. I cant stand added salt on foods, so I'm similar I skip the fries.

So salt that you can see and taste, rather than sodium content.
    fwiw,
    I skip McDonalds altogether. :)

So because I can see it and taste it, that means it has no measurable levels? Would you log 4 teaspoons of salt on MYP if you personally added it to the fries?

and yeah fwiw,
    I've not eaten in McDonalds for a number of years. iifym then why not just not my thing.

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Just wait til your spouse has to have a colostomy and you shop online for colostomy bags...that brings up some interesting ads. :s McDonalds would be a pleasant change.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

what is wrong with mcdonalds...it has fat, proteins, and carbs...sub out the fries and you have a pretty decent meal when in a pinch...

According to their website: A quarter pounder has about 1,100 grams of sodium. Medium fries has 180. Their salads have 700-1000 grams....

I'm not disputing what there website states, but I seem to remember a recent emissions scandal at VW (I realize they are two completely different entities) but figures can be manipulated quite easily is my point.
    I would say there nutritional info is probably a lot more accurate on foods that do not have salt added after the cooking process. I have literally watched an employee stand over the fries with the shaker, then minutes later a second employee doing the exact same. That sodium level is not measurable unfortunately as the number vary from store to store. I cant stand added salt on foods, so I'm similar I skip the fries.

fwiw,

So because I can see it and taste it, that means it has no measurable levels? Would you log 4 teaspoons of salt on MYP if you personally added it to the fries?

and yeah fwiw,
    I've not eaten in McDonalds for a number of years. iifym then why not just not my thing.

No, just pondering why fries don't work for you, but a burger with much more sodium would.
    My husband is that way. He can eat the saltiest foods, but hates salt added to an already cooked product.

for me, macros aren't the thing, I just don't like eating junk, except for a few of my favorite treats. McDonalds (fast food) doesn't do it for me any more.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

fwiw,

and yeah fwiw,

No, just pondering why fries don't work for you, but a burger with much more sodium would.
    My husband is that way. He can eat the saltiest foods, but hates salt added to an already cooked product.

for me, macros aren't the thing, I just don't like eating junk, except for a few of my favorite treats. McDonalds (fast food) doesn't do it for me any more.

It is simply for that reason, I cant stomach the added salt. I can eat chili peppers all day but add some salt to fries and my mouth really is on fire.

If I'm being perfectly honest, the sodium content didn't cross my mind the last time ate a McDonalds burger (hungover on the way home from a booze fueled holiday) and even then it was the meat and no bun (coeliac), I simply just looked as a full cheeseburger.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

fwiw,

and yeah fwiw,

It is simply for that reason, I cant stomach the added salt. I can eat chili peppers all day but add some salt to fries and my mouth really is on fire.

If I'm being perfectly honest, the sodium content didn't cross my mind the last time ate a McDonalds burger (hungover on the way home from a booze fueled holiday) and even then it was the meat and no bun (coeliac), I simply just looked as a full cheeseburger.

Funny you say your mouth is on fire. Another poster noted that lately eating fast food fries made her mouth burn.
    Cheers
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    Guess you haven't figured out how the Ads work...
    zyxst wrote: »
    Adverts are based on your browsing history. Either stop searching for fast food or get an ad block extension.

both of these made me LOL
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

According to their website: A quarter pounder has about 1,100 grams of sodium. Medium fries has 180. A strawberry McFlurry has 210... Their salads have 700-1000 grams....

so what?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Burger + potatoes is lots of carbs.

Also lots of fat (I would have said sat fat, but apparently the current fries don't have much). So for me they would blow my fat macro (which I don't care about), for anyone LCHF, that's not an issue.

Burger is more balanced with protein and carbs.

But what do I care, I don't like McD. I do like fries and burgers, although I get fries at different restaurants (not with a burger) and mainly have burgers at home.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Hmm. I might be this way. I NEVER add salt to cooked food and often think restaurant food is too salty (and fast food is normally bothering so, that's one reason I often don't like it).

But I add salt when cooking and feel that food (including vegetables) are bland if I don't.

The exception is if I plan to add olives, feta, soy sauce, sausage, smoked salmon, or the like.

Junk is what you call junk.

I love Maytag blue and manchego, among other cheeses. I could say they aren't junk, or I could admit I just like them and think they are fine in moderation (like various other foods I enjoy).
  • lemurcat12
    Options

fwiw,

and yeah fwiw,

Funny you say your mouth is on fire. Another poster noted that lately eating fast food fries made her mouth burn.
    Cheers

What makes my mouth burn are low cal peppers. I keep eating them because tasty!
  • cayman07
    cayman07 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Very occasionally We fit in a coffee (black for me) and apple pie as a desert (250cal) having eaten a main meal at home but will work the calories backwards so it fits the goals. Less likely to have a full meal there, can't recall last time we did that :smile:
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Turned off my blocker of choice and both ads were off base - a brick and mortar glasses chain and "natural" (note that I didn't say 'organic') frozen fries. Wouldn't be caught dead around either.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Adverts are based on your browsing history. Either stop searching for fast food or get an ad block extension.

Thanks. I am at McDonalds about every day since it fits my macros and do not see those ads.

@GaleHawkins I'm just curious, what do you order from there ? ( besides black coffee ) I am genuinely just curious and am not making a joke about your way of eating. I just wanted to know ?

On the coffee side I get several of the $.59 senior cup of regular coffee and add 8 little half and half creamers to each cup so on average the cost is $.20 a cup.

Food wise I get the 'round' eggs that are cracked from the shell just before they cook them in real butter, sausage and real bacon strips. Each of these items are $.99 each but if bacon it is two pieces for $.99.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

Thanks. I am at McDonalds about every day since it fits my macros and do not see those ads.

@GaleHawkins I'm just curious, what do you order from there ? ( besides black coffee ) I am genuinely just curious and am not making a joke about your way of eating. I just wanted to know ?

On the coffee side I get several of the $.59 senior cup of regular coffee and add 8 little half and half creamers to each cup so on average the cost is $.20 a cup.

Food wise I get the 'round' eggs that are cracked from the shell just before they cook them in real butter, sausage and real bacon strips. Each of these items are $.99 each but if bacon it is two pieces for $.99.

@GaleHawkins thanks for your reply. I was genuinely just curious as to what low carbers order from McDonalds.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    rmuth25 wrote: »
    mcmuffins all day

They just started all day McMuffins in Australia. I'm annoyed. All I want is to be able to get a cheeseburger before 10:30am. Is that too much to ask???

I'm in usa and I wish the same lol. I rarely eat a mcds breakfast at all. Give me a quarter pounder (or double quarter) no cheese no mayo please.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

According to their website: A quarter pounder has about 1,100 grams of sodium. Medium fries has 180. A strawberry McFlurry has 210... Their salads have 700-1000 grams....

so what?

I replied to his post. That's how it works.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Hmm. I might be this way. I NEVER add salt to cooked food and often think restaurant food is too salty (and fast food is normally bothering so, that's one reason I often don't like it).

But I add salt when cooking and feel that food (including vegetables) are bland if I don't.

The exception is if I plan to add olives, feta, soy sauce, sausage, smoked salmon, or the like.

Junk is what you call junk.

I love Maytag blue and manchego, among other cheeses. I could say they aren't junk, or I could admit I just like them and think they are fine in moderation (like various other foods I enjoy).

Maytag blue! <3
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Adverts are derived from your browsing history...not that you have to look at a site directly, but algorithms are used on your browsing history to see what might apply to you.

I'm surprised that in 2016 people don't know how this *kitten* works...
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    McDonald's is the devil's work. Wendy's is much better. They have Frostys . . . and Triples.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    McDonald's is the devil's work. Wendy's is much better. They have Frostys . . . and Triples.

I used to love dipping Wendys fries in a chocolate frosty.