For Some of Us there ARE Bad Foods

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The Frito Lay corporation has mastered the skill of gaining stomach share by making each of their products compellingly desirable. It's certainly a challenge to try to include a few in your plan.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    The Frito Lay corporation has mastered the skill of gaining stomach share by making each of their products compellingly desirable. It's certainly a challenge to try to include a few in your plan.

My grandmothers were better at it!
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

This is a point I tried to make-totally in vain.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Meh, my fritos have 3 ingredients: corn, corn oil, salt.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Also for some of us there are foods we adore that just don't make us feel good. I get terrible stomach cramps when I stray from low-carb and eat toast or cereal. I haven't been diagnosed with any sort of intolerance or GI illness, however I do know how it makes me feel regardless of an actual medical problem.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    I understand that this does not apply to everyone. But I think we need to be careful about telling people they can succeed while eating everything they like to eat, because there are people for whom this generalization is simply not true.

It's pretty trendy right now to pretend what we eat doesn't matter.

I don't think at all that what we eat doesn't matter (although I think some other things matter a lot more).

I just don't think this means foods I choose not to eat much of (or include in my diet only in limited amounts because of the calories and nutrition in them) means they are bad foods, as I understand that term (and defined above, to avoid confusion).

I honestly think it's frustrating for people to pretend that when others say there are no bad foods that they are saying that what we eat doesn't matter at all, that nutrition isn't important.

I do disagree that food industry advertising is significant, as I've never been confused by that, and I think people today are (or should be, if they are informed and responsible) sophisticated enough not to be misled by advertising. We should all be pretty jaded about ads.

Agree people should do what works, but that's not what I see this discussion as about -- OP objected to others saying they don't see foods as bad. I never/rarely eat lots of foods, but that doesn't mean I see them as bad. (I guess I see Cheetos as bad because I don't like the way they taste and don't understand anyone overeating them, but that's obviously just subjective and not something that defines them for others.)
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

For you.

For me, not so much. It once was a challenge, but instead of demonizing the food...i looked at my own behavior, worked on it and changed it. Now, I can do it without much of a challenge at all.

Doesn't hurt to demonize the food as a way to change your own behavior. Our process is just different. LOL.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Another point about this argument that food companies "engineer" food to make it taste good:

What kind of company shouldn't try to make a product that consumers want? How would that be responsible to their shareholders or employees? Or to their customers, for that matter? What kind of business can operate that way? And as I said before, how is it different than what generations of home cooks have done?

Certainly food companies use other angles: some might push the "health food" angle, or the "gourmet" angle, or even the "socially responsible" angle. But in the end, if it isn't attractive to consumers, it won't get bought.

A lot of consumers want food that tastes good. So certainly there is going to be a market for straight-up good tasting food. Is that Frito-Lay's fault? Or McDonalds'?

(I don't say this with any affection for Frito-Lay, by the way. I personally could take or leave chips and often don't eat them when they are offered.)

Relevant (language warning):

http://www.theonion.com/article/frito-lay-angrily-introduces-line-of-healthy-snack-2082

http://www.theonion.com/article/two-new-burger-king-sandwiches-negate-each-other-3039
  • lemurcat12
    Options

-I think the moralistic tone about willpower and "bad behavior" is misguided. Many snack foods are engineered to be craved. The makers utilize sophisticated research techniques to find the right combination of salt, sugar, fat, crunch, dissolve rate, so as to reach what flavor researchers refer to as the "bliss point." I think this is as much an attribute of food design as it is an attribute of the eater. But, since everyone is different, I think some are impacted more than others.

This is silly.

By this logic you could argue that I'm engineering the chili recipe that I'm constantly tweeking to reach the "bliss point."

Don't blame a food for your lack of self control because it tastes good.

The purpose of cooking IS to engineer foods to make them taste good. Of course! For that matter, I would expect a food manufacturer to do research to determine what makes their food "crave-able". I do think that one side effect of this is that some foods become much easier to overeat....

The term "bliss point" was coined by the food industry-NOT ME. The process I described is theirs; I didn't make it up.

Are people on this board so hostile because they are hungry all the time?

Nope, hostile because some can eat anything, and have the self control not to overeat, not because food is either "bad" or "good", but some of us found our way to moderation, portion control and not eating more calories than we burn.

In order for this to work long term, that is what has to be done to maintain.

In your opinion is "bad" solely tied to body weight?

Of course not, but getting the excess weight off is a lot healthier than being overweight.

But, there are a lot of new people here, and they buy into some of this misinformation. I did myself when I began. The first two months here (3/2012 through 5/2012) I listened to this kind of information. Then, I read a post here that said all food in moderation. It was like an epiphany to me. An aha moment. I went on to lose over 1/2 of my current body weight and have kept if off for over 2 years.

You can do what is right for you. You can not, however, know what is right for anyone else. It is up to each individual and his/her health care professional.

I am not condoning a diet of Cheetos, just saying, fit it in to your calorie allotment, and enjoy your life a little.

I wouldn't argue with any of that, and it doesn't seem opposite from what the OP said. But I don't see any of that as a reason I shouldn't call Cheetos bad food.

I'm not telling anyone else to call any food bad. I just wish others would stop telling me I shouldn't. I've been calling them bad for several decades while enjoying my life quite a lot.

I'm not telling you you shouldn't call foods bad. That's why I posted to point out that people are defining "bad" in different ways. There just seem to be lots of threads (this being one) in which the OP tries to convince others that foods are bad (in other words, that we should agree it's helpful to call them that).

I leave it to you to determine whether it's helpful for you to call them that, and wouldn't argue with you as to your conclusion. But similarly that it's not helpful or correct for me, given my understanding of what "bad foods" means, should be up to me, and not something others (like OP) claim is wrong.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

For you.

For me, not so much. It once was a challenge, but instead of demonizing the food...i looked at my own behavior, worked on it and changed it. Now, I can do it without much of a challenge at all.

Doesn't hurt to demonize the food as a way to change your own behavior. Our process is just different. LOL.

post-15478-Nathan-Fillion-speechless-gif-TeGC.gif
  • lemurcat12
    Options

This is a point I tried to make-totally in vain.

I don't agree with this point, because I don't find Frito Lay products particularly desirable at all. Not because they are bad (IMO they are not), but because other things I could eat are much tastier.

Packaged foods are just easier to eat than foods you have to make yourself. They aren't somehow tastier or harder to avoid overeating (except that they are around, including at times we might not otherwise think to eat).
  • lemurcat12
    Options

For you.

Lying to myself would never work for me.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Disappointing Dr. Oz is never a bad thing! ;-)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options

For you.

post-15478-Nathan-Fillion-speechless-gif-TeGC.gif

*tackles Nathan Fillion*

I think telling yourself a food is evil is one thing (if it helps and you're not doing harm to yourself by telling yourself that). I think believing it is a whole other ball of wax.

<----eats ALL the evil foods and then some!
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Here's the deal. Frito Lay doesn't have armed thugs at the supermarket forcing people to buy their products (only the government can get away with that tactic). They have to make things people WANT to buy. They make things we want then we give them money. If they make things we don't won't, they get nothing. "Compellingly desirable" does not equal "force." Or do you also think women who wear short skirts are asking for it?
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I do not support this type of Cheeto-shaming. Cheetos are a gift from the heavens.