Wondering how everyone else feels about getting asked out at the gym?

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    dhru2016 wrote: »
    It doesn't bother me. I would much rather meet someone at the gym than a bar.

what about meeting a nice guy at church???
  • rin1130
    rin1130 Posts: 281 Member
    What's weird is that I have gotten hit on/asked out at the gym several times. I've NEVER been asked out at the bar. Also, I am very overweight. I'm usually sweary and keeping to myself.. I don't get it. I keep wondering if they want to make an "investment". Hit up the fat girl at the gym before she is skinny and self esteem gets better. haha.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    aub6689 wrote: »
    I've never understood why people ask me out at the gym. Now as much as I'd love to find my swolemate and all.... I don't understand why guys don't try to get to know you or create some sort of friendship or familiarity before diving straight into ask for a date or number.
    Am I the only girl who thinks this?
    Guys, do girls ask you out at the gym too?

You aren't at the gym to talk. They're doing you a favor by asking for your number to talk later and not interrupting your workout. Respect the burn.

I think you simply build familiarity by making eye contact and smiling, or getting used to seeing the person around. It just seems like it's always out of the blue, someone I've never seen or made eye contact with or done the 'hello nod' or anything.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    rin1130 wrote: »
    What's weird is that I have gotten hit on/asked out at the gym several times. I've NEVER been asked out at the bar. Also, I am very overweight. I'm usually sweary and keeping to myself.. I don't get it. I keep wondering if they want to make an "investment". Hit up the fat girl at the gym before she is skinny and self esteem gets better. haha.

Maybe it isn't about appearance but seeing your work ethic too? I have two brothers and a bunch of guy friends and still don't understand men...
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    awkward. that's how i feel about it.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    I agree that it is always creepy to be asked out by someone that you have never talked to before...in any context.

I tend to make friends and get to know people at the gym, so it doesn't seem all that strange to me that someone you meet there might ask you out.

I could live without getting hit on in the pool/hot tub though...that happens way too much.
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Never been asked out at the gym, but there's a hot chick at my gym that I've been resisting approaching because I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    Sometimes I wonder if women read into things way too often. I've been in gyms most of my life and rarely have hit on or been hit on by anyone.

BUT there were a few times where I was trying to use equipment or hurry some lazy texting woman out of my way and they responded rudely that they weren't interested. They were definitely not my type and my explanation that I wanted the equipment they had been sitting on for 30 minutes didn't seem to get through to them.

Strangely the most fit, in shape bad *kitten* girls don't respond negatively at all when I ask how long they have left in the squat rack or leg press.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    strozman wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder if women read into things way too often. I've been in gyms most of my life and rarely have hit on or been hit on by anyone.

BUT there were a few times where I was trying to use equipment or hurry some lazy texting woman out of my way and they responded rudely that they weren't interested. They were definitely not my type and my explanation that I wanted the equipment they had been sitting on for 30 minutes didn't seem to get through to them.

Strangely the most fit, in shape bad *kitten* girls don't respond negatively at all when I ask how long they have left in the squat rack or leg press.

Women? Overthink things?? What?! Never...

Every single one of these threads is exactly that.
  • Dez11B
    Dez11B Posts: 1,542 Member
    It's rare that I get asked out. I've been told several times that I'm not approachable. Never smile and answer you with one word as I walk away. Beside im losing all hope that there's someone out there for me.
  • BaconBae
    BaconBae Posts: 4,568 Member
    @sith78 Hugs
  • White_hibiscus
    White_hibiscus Posts: 1,594 Member
    Bbg340 wrote: »
    @aub6689
    Will you go out with me? Maybe we could hit up the gym on our first date. :#:#:#

Omg. Hahaha. This was funny. Hahaha.
  • BaconBae
    BaconBae Posts: 4,568 Member
    I just joined a gym a couple of days ago. If or when I get asked out, I wouldn't mind, but I'm not holding my breath. The front desk guy and I did catch each other's eyes a few times, but it may have been the excessive sweat around my a s s.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    strozman wrote: »

A pox upon these people, be they male or female.
  • thegrimmycrew
    thegrimmycrew Posts: 46 Member
    Yeah....like dating a friend...never a good idea. If it goes south it becomes aquard. The gym should be a place where you can go and focus. I make it a point of not making too much eye contact. Wearing a hood and ear buds deff help. I'm always flattered when a girl tries to strike up a conversation. It's a gym...not a social club.
  • Countryboy_83
    Countryboy_83 Posts: 946 Member
    Blew off every girl but in a way we still talked and I would help them with their goals
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited March 2016
    I solved this by not going to the gym anymore. It was extremely awkward when the 22-25 year young women would invite out for drinks after our workout. They mistook my friendly grandpa attitude as a invitation that I was interested in them on a totally different level. Or maybe I just have a very good imagination. Us old folks are like that.......
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    I'm not available, but I wouldn't mind getting hit on at the gym...it'd be nice to get that attention. If someone sees me at my most disgusting and still finds me attractive and wants to get to know me, perfect!
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    I have never had this happen. Well I have only been to the gym like 3 times but no one ever just comes up to me and asks me out. It may be the resting *kitten* face or the fact that I'm just a nerd... Sometimes I get complimented on my awesome nerdy tshirts though...
  • overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    I ignore them and carry on working out.

I have gotten asked out a lot. Sometimes, I pretend I'm deaf and say "What?" after each question. Most men give up after asking me 3 or 4 times. I have also told men I'm a lesbian and not into guys or just pull out the PMS B card :smiley: