Peeing in the pool....

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I miss the days of being a kid and not thinking about this stuff. You think about accidentally taking a big gulp of sea water where everything takes a dump, kinda makes you not wanna get in there again. :sick: I'd imagine sitting at a swim-up bar and peeing while you drink might be a freeing feeling though! :drinker:

:laugh:

Except...NO!

I love those places too, and man I don't care how much man next to me needs to relax and be free, if I'm getting up to use the restroom, I'm gonna ask man-whose-been-sitting-there-too-long where's the restroom. And put him on blast. If he doesn't know the answer I'm gonna play dumb and be all "Are you sure? I thought I saw you get up to go a little bit ago OR You've been here waaaaaaayyyyyyy longer than me and I've been holding it so you must have to go? Why don't you get up and we'll go find it together, then we'll BOTH know."
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Urine is non-toxic - although it contains waste products (urea, creatine, salts and ions) these are not harmful in the concentrations present in normal urine. Most urine is also sterile, unless you have a urinary tract infection. Even then, the number of bacteria per urination will be quite small. And they are getting diluted into a very large volume of chlorine-containing water. Mine pool is about 25,000 gallons; the average volume of pee per urination is small - probably less than a pint for an adult. So that's a >200,000 x dilution factor. So the chances of any microbe surviving long enough in the chlorine to actually come into contact with me are really very very low. Not something I worry about. I do make sure my chlorinator is working at all times though!

I'm not sure how to take this? I'm waffling between ...

"Uh Oh, smart man might has a thing for pee pee?".
    OR
    "Okay! I guess I can afford to relax a little I guess a little pee pee never hurt anyone."
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    LOL now this is a first world problem.

I remember swimming in a beautiful spring in Nigeria and the guys would jump out of the water stand on the edge, drop their drawers, and let it fly.

If you swim in a lake, ocean, river, or pond it's filled with all kind of interesting and dirty substances including fish pee.

If you swim in a pool it will be filled with urea and chlorine.

Ain't no big deal...I can swim all day and never get out am I holding it or letting it go? You'll never know...muahahahahahahaha!
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    The pool that I swim at every day is highly chlorinated. How highly:

I have not had to color my hair in three months. It's just blond as blond can be and it's not from nature.

My swimsuit has changed color, along with my nylon swim cap.

My son's swim trunks turned from blue to orange from the water.

Every time I get chlorine in my sinuses, it burns to high heaven and I haven't had a cold or allergies since February.

My first pair of swim gloves dissolved. I replaced them and the stitching is coming off of the second pair.

Three watches that were water resistant have given up the ghost at this pool.

I am pretty sure there are pool-p*ssers in my pool, but that's what the chemicals are there for. I swim, therefore I am.

that is crazy chlorine lol

I don't know if I have swam in a pool that laden with chemicals since the 80s lol :)
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Urine is non-toxic - although it contains waste products (urea, creatine, salts and ions) these are not harmful in the concentrations present in normal urine. Most urine is also sterile, unless you have a urinary tract infection. Even then, the number of bacteria per urination will be quite small. And they are getting diluted into a very large volume of chlorine-containing water. Mine pool is about 25,000 gallons; the average volume of pee per urination is small - probably less than a pint for an adult. So that's a >200,000 x dilution factor. So the chances of any microbe surviving long enough in the chlorine to actually come into contact with me are really very very low. Not something I worry about. I do make sure my chlorinator is working at all times though!

I'm not sure how to take this? I'm waffling between ...

"Uh Oh, smart man might has a thing for pee pee?".
    OR
    "Okay! I guess I can afford to relax a little I guess a little pee pee never hurt anyone."

Lol! One of those two... :tongue:
  • sixibabey
    sixibabey Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    fun fact people peeing in the pool with the blue dye that detex pee is why pools are blue instead of white cuz the concrete of pools is white so without pee pools would be white!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    How else are you supposed to warm a pool up? A little pee never hurt anyone
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    DontPeeInOurPool841.jpg

But, you're always welcome to come swim in my toilet.

However...

TC14566-2.jpg
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    fun fact people peeing in the pool with the blue dye that detex pee is why pools are blue instead of white cuz the concrete of pools is white so without pee pools would be white!
    Normally, I would never doubt an assertion by someone with all duck face pics in their profile. This time however, science must prevail, and vanquish inaccurate information.

An indoor swimming pool appears blue from above, as light reflecting from the bottom of the pool travels through enough water that its red component is absorbed. For example, in the following image, the same water in a smaller bucket looks only slightly blue because it is shallower. Less of the the red component has been absorbed.

800px-SwimmingPoolAndBucket.jpg
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I miss the days of being a kid and not thinking about this stuff. You think about accidentally taking a big gulp of sea water where everything takes a dump, kinda makes you not wanna get in there again. :sick: I'd imagine sitting at a swim-up bar and peeing while you drink might be a freeing feeling though! :drinker:

:laugh:

Except...NO!

I love those places too, and man I don't care how much man next to me needs to relax and be free, if I'm getting up to use the restroom, I'm gonna ask man-whose-been-sitting-there-too-long where's the restroom. And put him on blast. If he doesn't know the answer I'm gonna play dumb and be all "Are you sure? I thought I saw you get up to go a little bit ago OR You've been here waaaaaaayyyyyyy longer than me and I've been holding it so you must have to go? Why don't you get up and we'll go find it together, then we'll BOTH know."

Once he breaks the seal, and he doesn't get up again, then you know something's up!
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options

What? While I'm not a pool-urinologist, I am an engineer and I am going to assume that it's related to a material property of water as light waves travel through it.
  • CapnGordo
    Options
    What? While I'm not a pool-urinologist, I am an engineer and I am going to assume that it's related to a material property of water as light waves travel through it.
    You dare doubt science assertions from someone that forgoes proper punctuation, spelling and capitalization?!
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    You dare doubt science assertions from someone that forgoes proper punctuation, spelling and capitalization?!

Fine. I admit defeat and stand corrected. Pool water is blue only because of people peeing in it. Newly constructed pools are filled with water by the workers. They then realize it's clear water, so they all pee in it to give it that refreshing blue color.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    The previous poster had it right except if I'm not going in my kid can't either, cause he's still learning, plus maybe that's a good practice to continue.

Also for the man looking down on the kids at the pool. Some mom's make sure our kids have pee'd right before going in and take them on regular potty breaks every so often and make sure they have sunscreen on before leaving the house. I'm one of those mom's. I can't tell you how many times I've had to overhear other kids telling their mommies, "but how come he doesn't have to put on sunscreen mom?" and only once did the mother aptly reply with "well maybe he already put it on at home so it can be soaked in nice and good before going in?". Give that lady a prize, instead of the other "oh some people don't know about it", or "everybodys' different" or "WE put on sunscreen and that's that!" lol.

Also for the man looking down on kids at the pool, I have a theory about those bikini tanning girls that are oh so acceptable at the pool. (don't throw things, I used to be one of them and will be again soon when I'm skinny and kiddo's at school again in the fall.)

Those girls can lay out for hours and the only adjustments I ever see them make are 2. Turning their chair to face the sun, and supposedly getting in the water to splash water on their arms and cool off. BUT THEY NEVER GO TO THE RESTROOM? We might have gotten there after them, and leave before them and visited the toilet 2-3 times which isn't easy or sometimes even dignified all sloshy with a little one and wet gear, but we do it. But fancy pantsies NEVER go, not once? Ever? When I used to tan, I'd have to get up for the restroom a few times during a tanning session because you're usually drinking something huge to stay cool. I'm convinced they are pretending to splash their arms for coolness while avoiding the long walk to the restroom or leaving their stuff behind or risk losing their spot by packing it all up to pee. I'm convinced these supermodel looking types are peeing in the pool. I'm onto you fancy girl. I've got your number. I think there should be a polite sign that has an arrow pointing to where the restroom is and maybe some time frame averages of how long it takes people on the average to need to go as a "suggestion". Just so they don't think they're fooling anyone.

Don't worry I'm not gonna write the sign, just suggest it otherwise it would say "Hey b!tch, you ain't that hot. Everyone knows it's humanly impossible to got that many hours without peeing and when you sprinkle your arms while sittting on the step, you're peeing on me and my kid and then we have to leave. P.S. Tell your stank SO to stop going to the jacuzzi fully dressed and only putting his feet in. It's not a pedicure tub." On second thought maybe I should make a sign?

I was with you up until the suggested average pee times. Because everyone is different. I find it amusing that just because I don't pee often you would assume I am peeing in the pool. I also 99% of the time go the entire flight from Vancouver to London without using the restroom, does this mean I am peeing in my seat? And I don't hold it or anything - if I have to go I go, but all of my life - despite being a big water drinker, I just don't need to use the restroom all that often (not dehydrated, not holding it just don't need to go) everyone is different :)
  • CapnGordo
    Options
    Fine. I admit defeat and stand corrected. Pool water is blue only because of people peeing in it. Newly constructed pools are filled with water by the workers. They then realize it's clear water, so they all pee in it to give it that refreshing blue color.
    Never doubt science info from someone with nothing but duck face pics.
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Yesterday when i was in the shower, i cupped my hands, and peed into them. i sat there holding 8 ounces of my own pee. i looked at it, felt its warmth, and then unclasped my hands as i watch the golden liquid flow down the drain. and i thought what if....what if i would have drank that pee?
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Some people don't need to pee every 3 - 4 hours. Why don't you just get your own pool if your so worried?
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

lolwut?
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Two things come to mind here:

1) The surfer/scuba mantra: "There are two types of people, those who pee in a wetsuit and those who lie about it" Just replace wetsuit with pool.

2) The boater mantra: "The secret to pollution is proper dilution."

ETA: BTW, I am both a scuba diver and a sailor and I have peed in my wetsuit and over the side of the boat, but I NEVER pee in a public pool.
  • CapnGordo
    Options
    1) The surfer/scuba mantra: "There are two types of people, those who pee in a wetsuit and those who lie about it" Just replace wetsuit with pool.
    Wonder what the rugby mantra is in that regard.

packer.jpg