Silliest weight loss/fitness myth you've ever heard?

Options

Replies

• CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    hCG diet, it has hit my facebook friends hard. And it is hard for me to keep my mouth shut.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    nfpswife wrote: »
    Drink your own urine.

No thanks, dude. I'll stay fat.
    I can see this working. Youre left too disgusted to be able to eat anything.

wasn't there a thread about eating poop a while back
  • Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    becbo22 wrote: »
    Itworks products.
    This!!! OMG my cousin and aunt(both overweight) are sales reps. They keep asking me to join their team and its so great. No thanks I don't want to dehydrate today. thanks though.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    That muscle weighs more than fat. Grrrrrrr! Can't count the number of times I've read that on MFP threads.

It's a semantic issue that never bothers me. This is the same as saying "muscle weighs more than fat per unit of volume" and is not really a myth. People who say it know exactly what they are saying, just like a bag of rocks weighs more than the same bag filled with cotton candy without having to specify "per unit of volume". If you want to be pedantic you could similarly scrutinize people for not using newtons when they tell you about their weight and tell them they are actually measuring mass not weight.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Stevo_Ra wrote: »
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    That muscle weighs more than fat. Grrrrrrr! Can't count the number of times I've read that on MFP threads.

It does, in the same way that brick weighs more than water (and sinks) and pine wood weighs less than water (and floats).

Its denser than fat not heavier, big difference.

And if something is denser than another thing and you have two pieces of equal volume, what does that lead to?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

It's a semantic issue that never bothers me. This is the same as saying "muscle weighs more than fat per unit of volume" and is not really a myth. People who say it know exactly what they are saying, just like a bag of rocks weighs more than the same bag filled with cotton candy without having to specify "per unit of volume". If you want to be pedantic you could similarly scrutinize people for not using newtons when they tell you about their weight and tell them they are actually measuring mass not weight.

Yeah, the corrections always sound like they think the person who posted it is an idiot.
  • janderson19_1
    janderson19_1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I knew a trainer that told me she ate a banana on Thanksgiving and felt so bad because they're so bad for you. I always looked at her a little funny after that. If that's her idea of relaxing a bit for the holidays, she'd be appalled by my noodles and potatoes.

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Erik8484 wrote: »

It does, in the same way that brick weighs more than water (and sinks) and pine wood weighs less than water (and floats).

A brick weighs more than the ocean?

Hi
    Just in case a You are not kidding, a Pound is a pound, a Pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead :)

Wood floats because it displaces more water weight than it weighs.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    I was told that eating more than half a banana a week would lead to weight gain and cause diabetes. Seriously.

(I probably eat a banana a day. Yes, a whole banana!!)

Hi
    I do not believe that one. I eat a banana a day too. And with the weight reduction and lower caloric input my weight and my A1C and FBS are now all good.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Yeah, the corrections always sound like they think the person who posted it is an idiot.

Yup!!!
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    That fruit is bad for you.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Running will make your uterus fall out.

My mom tells me that lifting heavy will make my uterus drop and make me infertile.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had a friend once tell me that "If you eat carbs when they're cold your body won't digest them." Once. She was eating a plate of cold fries.

Probably because they read articles like this: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-32019176.

The article talks about how cooling down rice after cooking ups resistant starches which are apparently harder for your body to digest (but not impossible). So, cooling down your rice before consuming might reduce the calories your body is able to get from it, hence the idea that eating carbs cold might reduce the calories as opposed to if they were served fresh and hot.

Not that I'm logging the rice I prep at the beginning of week any differently even though it's been sitting in my fridge for a few days...
  • thatrabidgirl
    thatrabidgirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A couple months ago I got sick back to back like four times in one month (had a cold, food poisoning, another cold, pink eye) and my mom and grandma thought it was because I "worked out too much".
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Don't eat after seven.
    Eat something every two hours.
    Don't eat anything white.
    ---all by Bob Green, the man who gave Oprah her weight problem.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You can't lose weight after 50
    This thread has been highly entertaining but unfortunately I am over 50 and therefore doomed

:D
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal burns fat.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The silliest thing I heard was from a coworker. We were at a Mexican restaurant and I was commenting on how huge their burrito was and how they could get about 3 meals out of it, and they were trying to reason out why they could eat the entire thing. They said that the body can only absorb a certain amount of calories at once, and anything over that doesn't matter, so you might as well just eat the whole thing. They said their doctor told them that they can only absorb about 500 calories per meal or something like that. And, I really wanted to say they need to find a new doctor, but I didn't say anything because I didn't want to argue with a coworker.
  • Small_Town_Southern_Man
    Options
    That muscle weighs more than fat.....
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I had a friend once tell me that "If you eat carbs when they're cold your body won't digest them." Once. She was eating a plate of cold fries.

My guess with this one it had more to do with cold junk food isn't as good, so if your willing to eat them cold you must really have wanted them.

Honestly? I have no idea what the logic was or where she got the idea. After staring blankly at her and asking if bread didn't count either, she abandoned the idea. I didn't bring it up again, because I think she realized how silly it sounded and was embarrassed. She is one of those ladies who falls victim to "quick fixes" often.