Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does specific type of food help you lose weight

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited March 2016
    OP, I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say at this point. Some of your posts seem to be saying that if you eat junk food you can't lose weight, but in other posts you seem to be saying that everyone will eat junk food occasionally and that's okay.

All any of us are saying is that calories are the only thing that matters for weight loss, "junk food" is okay in the context of an otherwise balanced diet, but types of food eaten can affect satiety, body comp, and health.

Edited to add: And now you're saying McDonalds is poison. I'm totally lost now.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ginamcy wrote: »
    I don't particularly looking ke McDonald's so I don't eat it but there is no poison in their food.

When i eat i dont intend to be hungry after an hour later when you eat mcds you do its not a fulfilling meal

Every single possible combination of menu items at McDonald's leaves you hungry an hour later? That doesn't sound accurate to me.

And what does that have to do with it being poison? When I eat popcorn, I am hungry an hour later. But that doesn't mean the popcorn is poison.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Eat clean yall
    #byefelicia
    chazz-weaver-downsize-me.jpg

McDonald's isn't food i it's poison

So much show it caused that poor man to lose 8 pounds. His body had to work that hard to get rid of the poison. That's why so many are losing too much weight from McDonald's, like all the fitness gurus say, right?

You can believe whatever you want poor man lost 8 pounds probably from running to the bathroom so many times you cant get a shaped body like that from eating mcda that man must have worked at 24 hours a day just to look like that

Actually, I know exactly how that guy looked like that. No bathroom abnormalities involved. 24 hours a day of work would have been counterproductive too.
  • senecarr
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say at this point. Some of your posts seem to be saying that if you eat junk food you can't lose weight, but in other posts you seem to be saying that everyone will eat junk food occasionally and that's okay.

All any of us are saying is that calories are the only thing that matters for weight loss, "junk food" is okay in the context of an otherwise balanced diet, but types of food eaten can affect satiety, body comp, and health.

Edited to add: And now you're saying McDonalds is poison. I'm totally lost now.

It is easier to have inconsistent views when you don't have a sound framework to generate them.
  • ginamcy
    ginamcy Posts: 74 Member
    OP, I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say at this point. Some of your posts seem to be saying that if you eat junk food you can't lose weight, but in other posts you seem to be saying that everyone will eat junk food occasionally at that's okay.

Depends not all have the same metabilism if your goal is to just lose weight then eat whatever suits you fit if you believe you can lose weight just by eating junk food... bread spaghetti exc... i dont think you will some people just eat whatever and they are still skinny... but are they healthy... who knows in order to lose weight on my point of view is eating many times a day small portions and avoiding the junk food... if you eat every now and then a cheeseburger or whatever food you crave doesnt mean all the hard work you have done will set you back changing eating habbits is hard this is why when you change your menue of list of food and then go back to your old eating habbits with no consequences you will put that weight back losing weight is the easy part but keeping it is the hard
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Bread and spaghetti are junk food? I should tell my 90+ year old Italian grandparents to stop eating that stuff everyday. derp
  • senecarr
    OP, I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say at this point. Some of your posts seem to be saying that if you eat junk food you can't lose weight, but in other posts you seem to be saying that everyone will eat junk food occasionally at that's okay.

Depends not all have the same metabilism if your goal is to just lose weight then eat whatever suits you fit if you believe you can lose weight just by eating junk food... bread spaghetti exc... i dont think you will some people just eat whatever and they are still skinny... but are they healthy... who knows in order to lose weight on my point of view is eating many times a day small portions and avoiding the junk food... if you eat every now and then a cheeseburger or whatever food you crave doesnt mean all the hard work you have done will set you back changing eating habbits is hard this is why when you change your menue of list of food and then go back to your old eating habbits with no consequences you will put that weight back losing weight is the easy part but keeping it is the hard

The idea that people can eat whatever they want from a high metabolism is severely overblown. The people that have truly high BMR's invariably have other health problems that are far more obvious than the BMR.
    For the most part, people who seem to have a high metabolism are either very active, or merely aren't being observed at the times they're eating far less to compensate.
  • ginamcy
    Bread and spaghetti are junk food? I should tell my 90+ year old Italian grandparents to stop eating that stuff everyday. derp

No its not junk food but high in sugar men who do body work need to eat this women who are trying to lose weight should avoid
  • senecarr

No its not junk food but high in sugar men who do body work need to eat this women who are trying to lose weight should avoid
    Like car repairmen?
  • ginamcy

Yeah right!!!! Try telling an Italien to stop eating spaghetti i think your grandparents would beat you and force feed you spaghetti if you speak foul language again
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I should write a book cause I lost a lot of fat eating a lot of processed and fast food. I also put all my health markers into perfect or near perfect levels. Ya know why? Cause I hit my macros and micros, stay hydrated, get enough fiber...but then, I live a little. Sometimes that's cake, sometimes it's fast food. Sometimes it's both. I eat no less than 4 tootsie pops every day as well...

I love being a unicorn...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2016

*blink*

I would have thought if that were true that I'd not be losing weight and inches on the ridiculous amounts of cookies and cake I've been eating since going off the rails at Christmas. And yet, it's happening. I wonder how that could be?

ETA: And I'm not suggesting people should eat like I've been - hence the 'going off the rails' bit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I don't particularly looking ke McDonald's so I don't eat it but there is no poison in their food.

When i eat i dont intend to be hungry after an hour later when you eat mcds you do its not a fulfilling meal

It's been a long time since I ate at McD but I don't recall being hungry an hour later.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Women can lose weight while eating pasta and bread. Even older women like me.
  • senecarr
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I should write a book cause I lost a lot of fat eating a lot of processed and fast food. I also put all my health markers into perfect or near perfect levels. Ya know why? Cause I hit my macros and micros, stay hydrated, get enough fiber...but then, I live a little. Sometimes that's cake, sometimes it's fast food. Sometimes it's both. I eat no less than 4 tootsie pops every day as well...

I love being a unicorn...

Maybe you work on cars a lot, a lot of body work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

and what does that have to do with poison?

Ridiculous...my wife lost plenty of weight and still ate her toast at breakfast...we have pasta every couple of weeks.

Where do you come up with this *kitten*?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I ate bread and pasta when I was losing weight. I just logged the calories. Worked like a charm.

There is no reason why bread and pasta should be avoided by women trying to lose weight.
  • senecarr
    shell1005 wrote: »
    So I can't eat spaghetti without gaining weight because why? Because I have a vagina???

News to me. Not about me having a vagina...

Naw, I think it is the estrogen. You'll get to try spaghetti once you're menopausal.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

I ate a sandwich almost every day for lunch while I was losing.

You're repeating a lot of old myths and lists from bad sources, trusting sources that confirm your existing beliefs while ignoring the personal experiences, studies, and science that others are offering.
This discussion has been closed.