Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does specific type of food help you lose weight

14567810»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    ginamcy wrote: »
    mathjulz wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Bread and spaghetti are junk food? I should tell my 90+ year old Italian grandparents to stop eating that stuff everyday. derp

No its not junk food but high in sugar men who do body work need to eat this women who are trying to lose weight should avoid

What about men trying to lose weight?

What about women doing "body work"? (assume you mean lifting heavy stuff)

What about a woman trying to lose weight and do body work?

My brain is going to explode in a moment.

Are you trying to be a body builder... are you saying that a mans metabilism and a womens is the same men lose weight easier then women ... if you dont lose weight first and just skip that part...your fat will become muscle

Fat does not magically become muscle.

If you lift massive amount of weight it does

ermergrd...where do you go your information...errr...misinformation. Fat doesn't become muscle...ever...ever...I wish it did, that would make things a whole lot easier...but it doesn't...no matter how much weight you lift.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I agree its not about losing weight more than maintaining a healthy diet of course

What do you mean?

Well most people who want to lose weight just stop eating or start eating less but the thing is once you start eating into your normal everyday routin you gain everything back

And diatrofi what we call it in greek sorry but i dont know how to say it... but you eat more healthy... than before cut down on the fried stuff and still see results.. lose weight stay stable be more healthy but still eat!!!

If the eating less you're doing becomes your routine, no, no you don't gain back. That's kind of how the whole thing works. cwolfman13 literally explained it above with his own numbers.

Its hard to maintain not impossible just hard..m its like eating less makes your stomach smaller then you just start eating less.... but the thing is.... is our goal to eat less or to eat healthier ..... eating less is not the solution for dieting im sorry but im against it i believe eating small portions many times a day will help you lose more calories than just once a day depending what you eat and its like anorexia how do people start.....eating less then not eating at all

You can be against it all you want but the fact remains that in order to lose weight a person needs to be in a calorie deficit, and that can be done eating several small meals, one big meal, it can be done by eating any type of food as well.

CICO is indisputable.

What you seem to be mixing up is calorie deficit, nutrition, satiety, adherence, and long term maintenance. You keep saying that if people don't change the way they eat then they will gain all the weight back. While it's true that some people struggle maintaining long term success rates with weight loss - the tools that people have at their reach today (calorie counting sites like this one, activity trackers like FitBit) I think will make those success rates go up. Combine that with the fact that the people who use sites like this while they are losing learn new habits, such as portion control and moderation, so that they are better able to successfully transition into maintenance.

The people who have responded here have collectively lost hundreds of pounds and kept them off for years using exactly the techniques you insist won't work.

I'm requoting myself for emphasis since it seems to be the theme here that you can quote yourself and talk to yourself in this thread.

OP - you are trying to argue points that make no sense from a scientific, or even a logic perspective. You are saying things like "you can't lose weight if you eat junk" or "you can lose weight but you won't be healthy" or "you can lose weight but you won't have a good body". Have you looked at the avatars of the people you are arguing with in this thread? Have you visited anyone's profile page to see how much weight they've lost? Read their stories to understand how their health markers have improved and how they have reversed things like high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, etc - simply by losing weight and eating a balanced, primarily nutrient dense diet within a calorie deficit - but not excluding things like McDonalds, which you now say is poison? If it were poison, would any of us be alive to be posting here today?

You can think whatever you want .. you eat whatever you think is fit its more easier for someone to be on a healthy diet to lose weight then someone who doesnt iv done it ... it works for me so i dont really care what you do if i am happy with my weight and my body i really dont care how you lost your weight.. if i eat junk i wont lose weight... if you eat junk and you lose weight thats just you... if i eat bread and spaghetti i wont be able to lose weight if that works for you it doesn't mean it works for everyone...

I'm guessing you don't count calories? You didn't lose weight eating those things because you didn't stay in a calorie deficit. You can eat bread and spaghetti and stay within your calorie a MIT therefore losing weight. And btw spaghetti and bread are not junk food.

PS fat doesn't turn into muscle ever no matter how much weight lifting you do.
  • ginamcy
    ginamcy Posts: 74 Member
    I agree its not about losing weight more than maintaining a healthy diet of course

What do you mean?

Well most people who want to lose weight just stop eating or start eating less but the thing is once you start eating into your normal everyday routin you gain everything back

And diatrofi what we call it in greek sorry but i dont know how to say it... but you eat more healthy... than before cut down on the fried stuff and still see results.. lose weight stay stable be more healthy but still eat!!!

If the eating less you're doing becomes your routine, no, no you don't gain back. That's kind of how the whole thing works. cwolfman13 literally explained it above with his own numbers.

Its hard to maintain not impossible just hard..m its like eating less makes your stomach smaller then you just start eating less.... but the thing is.... is our goal to eat less or to eat healthier ..... eating less is not the solution for dieting im sorry but im against it i believe eating small portions many times a day will help you lose more calories than just once a day depending what you eat and its like anorexia how do people start.....eating less then not eating at all

You can be against it all you want but the fact remains that in order to lose weight a person needs to be in a calorie deficit, and that can be done eating several small meals, one big meal, it can be done by eating any type of food as well.

CICO is indisputable.

What you seem to be mixing up is calorie deficit, nutrition, satiety, adherence, and long term maintenance. You keep saying that if people don't change the way they eat then they will gain all the weight back. While it's true that some people struggle maintaining long term success rates with weight loss - the tools that people have at their reach today (calorie counting sites like this one, activity trackers like FitBit) I think will make those success rates go up. Combine that with the fact that the people who use sites like this while they are losing learn new habits, such as portion control and moderation, so that they are better able to successfully transition into maintenance.

The people who have responded here have collectively lost hundreds of pounds and kept them off for years using exactly the techniques you insist won't work.

I'm requoting myself for emphasis since it seems to be the theme here that you can quote yourself and talk to yourself in this thread.

OP - you are trying to argue points that make no sense from a scientific, or even a logic perspective. You are saying things like "you can't lose weight if you eat junk" or "you can lose weight but you won't be healthy" or "you can lose weight but you won't have a good body". Have you looked at the avatars of the people you are arguing with in this thread? Have you visited anyone's profile page to see how much weight they've lost? Read their stories to understand how their health markers have improved and how they have reversed things like high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, etc - simply by losing weight and eating a balanced, primarily nutrient dense diet within a calorie deficit - but not excluding things like McDonalds, which you now say is poison? If it were poison, would any of us be alive to be posting here today?

You can think whatever you want .. you eat whatever you think is fit its more easier for someone to be on a healthy diet to lose weight then someone who doesnt iv done it ... it works for me so i dont really care what you do if i am happy with my weight and my body i really dont care how you lost your weight.. if i eat junk i wont lose weight... if you eat junk and you lose weight thats just you... if i eat bread and spaghetti i wont be able to lose weight if that works for you it doesn't mean it works for everyone...

I'm guessing you don't count calories? You didn't lose weight eating those things because you didn't stay in a calorie deficit. You can eat bread and spaghetti and stay within your calorie a MIT therefore losing weight. And btw spaghetti and bread are not junk food.

You will see change
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Weightlifting alters cellular pluripotency? This is new info about biology to me.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

What do you mean?

CICO is indisputable.

You will see change

But it's not fat turning into muscle. It's your muscles getting bigger and your fat cells shrinking. Fat and muscle are 2 different and separate things
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Fat turning into muscle would be like iron turning into gold.

Alchemy - the new diet program for uneducated people everywhere.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member

What do you mean?

CICO is indisputable.

You will see change

Fat does not turn into muscle. Period. That's not how biology works.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member

What do you mean?

CICO is indisputable.

Then you weren't in a calorie deficit eating bread and spaghetti.

No one disputes that eating a healthful diet is important. What we are saying is that you can eat a variety of foods including what you're calling "junk" and still lose weight.

You really seem set on your misguided opinions about how this all works, and don't seem to be considering any of the information posted here. I'm not sure what the point of this thread was?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member

What do you mean?

CICO is indisputable.

You really seem set on your misguided opinions about how this all works, and don't seem to be considering any of the information posted here. I'm not sure what the point of this thread was?

OP this is my question too. Why did you start this thread? You asked a question, you got plenty of honest answers from people, and now you are arguing with everyone that the answers you got aren't correct. If you already know, why did you ask? Were you trying to bait people into an argument?
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Bread and spaghetti are junk food? I should tell my 90+ year old Italian grandparents to stop eating that stuff everyday. derp

No its not junk food but high in sugar men who do body work need to eat this women who are trying to lose weight should avoid

What about men trying to lose weight?

What about women doing "body work"? (assume you mean lifting heavy stuff)

What about a woman trying to lose weight and do body work?

My brain is going to explode in a moment.

Are you trying to be a body builder... are you saying that a mans metabilism and a womens is the same men lose weight easier then women ... if you dont lose weight first and just skip that part...your fat will become muscle

Not necessarily trying to be a body builder. But my point is that women can eat spaghetti and bread, whether doing "body work" (again, is that lifting weights? or is it the specific body builder thing?) or not. Yes, a man's metabolism is going to be a bit higher than mine, but that just means he gets to eat more calories, not that he can eat certain foods that I can't.

Don't lose weight first. Eat at a deficit, with plenty of protein, and lift heavy, and one will be fine (male or female). Even if eating some treats or processed foods in there.

(By the way, bodybuilders going for figure competition are on a stricter calorie allowance than most as their goals are to have a very low bf% ... power lifters, now that's a different story)
This discussion has been closed.