Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does specific type of food help you lose weight

Replies

• lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ginamcy wrote: »
    Disagree.

And if "bad" food really lead to demise, then penitentiary inmates are immune to death from eating low quality food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Please explain on low quality food wich is
    Low nutrition, fiber and fortified processed. Basically it's not great food.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So now we're admitting that processed food is low quality? Good to know. ;)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    Weight no, fat yes, if you want to be skinny fat, follow calories in and calories out only, if you want to lose fat, potentially have abs and a small waist, then I would eat foods with quality nutrition. When you say weight only it generally starts a firestorm on these boards when in actuality you want to lose weight and fat. You don't want to lose 20 or 30 pounds and still have 40 or 50 percent body fat.
    Disagree. Lots of dudes in the pen are pretty lean and have abs. And it ain't from quality nutrition.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This must be some kind of joke, do you think people in prison have access to five guys burgers, milkshakes and family size packs of Oreo cookies...no. Some of the responses are just amazing but this one took the cake. Only point I'm trying to make is that when people say they want to lose weight, they want the majority of that weight to come from fat. Only here in this forum will someone champion losing weight with a terrible diet of cookies and cakes and say " hey as long as you stay in your calorie window its OK " . People should learn how to eat quality, nutritious foods if they want to lose fat and have a healthy body composition. I'm not here to say who's wrong or right but if you think your body fat percentage will drop while eating majority cookies and twinkies inside your calorie window, then you go right ahead. But if you want to lose weight along with drop your body fat percentage, then healthy nutritious foods would be the way to go.

I asked you yesterday to find an example of where people are advocating a diet of nothing but cookies and cake saying "hey as long as you're under calories it's ok".

I guess you're still looking?

It's ok. I will wait.

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Weight no, fat yes, if you want to be skinny fat, follow calories in and calories out only, if you want to lose fat, potentially have abs and a small waist, then I would eat foods with quality nutrition. When you say weight only it generally starts a firestorm on these boards when in actuality you want to lose weight and fat. You don't want to lose 20 or 30 pounds and still have 40 or 50 percent body fat.
    Disagree. Lots of dudes in the pen are pretty lean and have abs. And it ain't from quality nutrition.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This must be some kind of joke, do you think people in prison have access to five guys burgers, milkshakes and family size packs of Oreo cookies...no. Some of the responses are just amazing but this one took the cake. Only point I'm trying to make is that when people say they want to lose weight, they want the majority of that weight to come from fat. Only here in this forum will someone champion losing weight with a terrible diet of cookies and cakes and say " hey as long as you stay in your calorie window its OK " . People should learn how to eat quality, nutritious foods if they want to lose fat and have a healthy body composition. I'm not here to say who's wrong or right but if you think your body fat percentage will drop while eating majority cookies and twinkies inside your calorie window, then you go right ahead. But if you want to lose weight along with drop your body fat percentage, then healthy nutritious foods would be the way to go.

If they eat at a calorie deficit, they will lose weight. There's nothing magical about healthy, nutritious foods that will make people lose fat whereas eating cookies and Twinkies will make people lose muscle. A professor at Kansas State University actually did lose weight eating primarily Twinkies; not only did he lose fat, but his cholesterol levels improved: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/.

No one is advocating a Twinkie-based diet; if I am wrong about this, please post a link to prove it. What people are saying is that it is possible to eat cookies and Twinkies now and again and still lose weight.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I agree its not about losing weight more than maintaining a healthy diet of course

What do you mean?

Well most people who want to lose weight just stop eating or start eating less but the thing is once you start eating into your normal everyday routin you gain everything back

And diatrofi what we call it in greek sorry but i dont know how to say it... but you eat more healthy... than before cut down on the fried stuff and still see results.. lose weight stay stable be more healthy but still eat!!!

OP, you are exactly 100 percent right. Trying to control junk food consumption through calorie counting is, for many people, temporary and illusory, because once you start eating "normally" again, then you will gain all your weight back. And that is exactly what happens to people, all the time. They call it yo yo dieting. Healthier food can be eaten more freely without concern. With healthier food you can just eat and not have to worry about it so much. Don't worry about what any of these other people are saying, because you have it figured out perfectly.

So how is it that people don't go back to eating "normally" again if they lose weight by eating healthier food? Why is it that people only "yo yo diet" if they learn to eat "junk food" in moderation as part of a calorie deficit, but somehow they don't "yo yo diet" if they completely abstain from junk food while they are losing weight? Your argument makes no sense.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I agree its not about losing weight more than maintaining a healthy diet of course

What do you mean?

Well most people who want to lose weight just stop eating or start eating less but the thing is once you start eating into your normal everyday routin you gain everything back

And diatrofi what we call it in greek sorry but i dont know how to say it... but you eat more healthy... than before cut down on the fried stuff and still see results.. lose weight stay stable be more healthy but still eat!!!

OP, you are exactly 100 percent right. Trying to control junk food consumption through calorie counting is, for many people, temporary and illusory, because once you start eating "normally" again, then you will gain all your weight back. And that is exactly what happens to people, all the time. They call it yo yo dieting. Healthier food can be eaten more freely without concern. With healthier food you can just eat and not have to worry about it so much. Don't worry about what any of these other people are saying, because you have it figured out perfectly.

So how is it that people don't go back to eating "normally" again if they lose weight by eating healthier food? Why is it that people only "yo yo diet" if they learn to eat "junk food" in moderation as part of a calorie deficit, but somehow they don't "yo yo diet" if they completely abstain from junk food while they are losing weight? Your argument makes no sense.

I'm sure that isn't uncommon, but it's totally possible to yo-yo diet on healthy food. Healthy food doesn't make a healthy diet if you eat too much of it. And it's very easy for some of us to eat too much of it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Disagree.

And if "bad" food really lead to demise, then penitentiary inmates are immune to death from eating low quality food.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Why is processed food inherently low quality? There are some really high quality cheeses that count as processed, although they likely should not form the core of a diet. There are highly nutritious foods like a purchased salad or cottage cheese/yogurt or smoked salmon, frozen fish in general, etc. I make very nutritious meals based around dried pasta or canned beans (I add vegetables and sometimes lean protein).

Also, I will refer again to the frozen BB meals juggernaut (I think) mentioned, as well as the Kitchfix convenience meals -- not my thing in that I tend not to prefer premade meals, but there are some quite nutritious options based on what I'd consider high quality ingredients.

(Should I bet on how likely it is that this gets ignored again?)

Again, I don't think anyone is saying that eating a healthy diet is not important, but that you don't have to never eat a cookie to eat a healthy diet, and -- more specifically -- that "processed foods" aren't necessarily non-nutritious. Instead one should take a more intelligent approach and look at the specifics rather than the label.
  • Need2Exerc1se

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

If they eat at a calorie deficit, they will lose weight. There's nothing magical about healthy, nutritious foods that will make people lose fat whereas eating cookies and Twinkies will make people lose muscle. A professor at Kansas State University actually did lose weight eating primarily Twinkies; not only did he lose fat, but his cholesterol levels improved: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/.

No one is advocating a Twinkie-based diet; if I am wrong about this, please post a link to prove it. What people are saying is that it is possible to eat cookies and Twinkies now and again and still lose weight.

But you don't address the body composition part of the bolded sentence.

I don't think quality food is necessary for good body composition, but the Twinkie diet is a poor example if healthy body composition is part of the discussion as opposed to just weight loss.
  • ginamcy
    ginamcy Posts: 74 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't think quality food is necessary for good body composition, but the Twinkie diet is a poor example if healthy body composition is part of the discussion as opposed to just weight loss.

Not everyone can eat twinkies and lose weight just because your professor did this is poor diet
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Not everyone can eat twinkies and lose weight just because your professor did this is poor diet

Yes everyone (except in the case of a medical issue) can eat Twinkies and lose weight.
  • WinoGelato

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Did you read the article? Actually yes, everyone can eat Twinkies and lose weight, if they are in a calorie deficit. That is the point of the scientific experiment that professor was conducting. It was not a recommendation that others engage in a Twinkie only diet.

This is actually why I hate when people post that link because others don't understand the point and think that is something that people are recommending.

• Need2Exerc1se

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

If you mean not everyone would have the willpower or the stomach for such a diet, then yes, quite true. But everyone would lose fat if they ate nothing but Twinkies and kept a calorie deficit.

I imagine I'd drop a lot of weight very quickly eating nothing but Twinkies because I hate Twinkies.
  • ginamcy
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Disagree.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Why is processed food inherently low quality? There are some really high quality cheeses that count as processed, although they likely should not form the core of a diet. There are highly nutritious foods like a purchased salad or cottage cheese/yogurt or smoked salmon, frozen fish in general, etc. I make very nutritious meals based around dried pasta or canned beans (I add vegetables and sometimes lean protein).

Also, I will refer again to the frozen BB meals juggernaut (I think) mentioned, as well as the Kitchfix convenience meals -- not my thing in that I tend not to prefer premade meals, but there are some quite nutritious options based on what I'd consider high quality ingredients.

Again, I don't think anyone is saying that eating a healthy diet is not important, but that you don't have to never eat a cookie to eat a healthy diet, and -- more specifically -- that "processed foods" aren't necessarily non-nutritious. Instead one should take a more intelligent approach and look at the specifics rather than the label.

Of course you can eat what you like.... there are healthy home made cookies you can make with beanut butter but i belive you need to find the space to provide with both healthy and your fav recipes you can make your recipes look more healthy like not using cooking oil and just prepair your food on a grill im not gonna stop eating a hamburger just because im on a healthy diet or whatever i dont belive in strict diets i dont think anyone can manage if they do this they must struggle alot!!! So my model is eat what you like dont over do and eat it in a healthier way
  • ginamcy
    WinoGelato wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Did you read the article? Actually yes, everyone can eat Twinkies and lose weight, if they are in a calorie deficit. That is the point of the scientific experiment that professor was conducting. It was not a recommendation that others engage in a Twinkie only diet.

This is actually why I hate when people post that link because others don't understand the point and think that is something that people are recommending.

Dont believe everything you read ...!!! And losing weight from only eating twinkies maybe you will acomplish this goal but what are the consequences after... again losing weight fast is not the solution or the healthy way in that matter
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Disagree.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Of course you can eat what you like.... there are healthy home made cookies you can make with beanut butter but i belive you need to find the space to provide with both healthy and your fav recipes you can make your recipes look more healthy like not using cooking oil and just prepair your food on a grill im not gonna stop eating a hamburger just because im on a healthy diet or whatever i dont belive in strict diets i dont think anyone can manage if they do this they must struggle alot!!! So my model is eat what you like dont over do and eat it in a healthier way

Why would not using cooking oil necessarily make something healthier?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Dont believe everything you read ...!!! And losing weight from only eating twinkies maybe you will acomplish this goal but what are the consequences after... again losing weight fast is not the solution or the healthy way in that matter

You missed the point entirely. Read the link carefully.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    A
    auddii wrote: »
    I would think encouraging people to exercise and include some form of resistance training would be far more effective at changing body composition than just what kind of foods are consumed.
    That is more universally applicable than one might think. Baylor study (wish I could find it. It was published in a bunch of Rodale Press publications, though) showed over the long term people were more likely to maintain weight loss and fitness by focusing on exercise rather than diet alone or exercise AND diet.

Exercise PLUS diet will give the fastest results, but it appears exercise focus is more maintainable.

• foxlme
    foxlme Posts: 57 Member
    I have found that wheat really affects my water weight. I'd be well within my calories but my weight would fluctuate as much as three pounds from one day to the next. Clearly I'm not eating an extra 10,000 calories or getting a 10,000 calorie workout in a few times a week! I dropped most wheat from my diet in December and I dropped 10 pounds in 2 months. I'm eating the same amount of calories I did before and exercising no more than I did before. I still eat wheat on occasion I'm just REALLY picky about it. Breakfast bagels at the office? Nah, but thanks. Warm in-house croissant during a brunch out with my hubby? Yes please!
  • ginamcy
    Disagree.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Why would not using cooking oil necessarily make something healthier?

You can use olive oil or coconut oil vegetable oil has a substance called omega 6 polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are harmful in excess.
  • WinoGelato

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So again, you didn't read the article or my post?

I am not advocating for an all Twinkie diet. No one is.
This discussion has been closed.