Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does specific type of food help you lose weight

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    It's calories in and calories out that matters. However I do believe eating balanced food will help you lose weight easier. For example for lunch if I ate a sandwich from next door I would be starving an hour later vs. eating whatever meal I planned (same amount of calories) that has lots of protein and fiber I can go the rest of the day without eating or starving (in fact I have to force myself to eat some protein in the evening so my body doesn't reserve to my muscles). Eating quality foods can keep you fuller but also healthier, you can lose weight eating just candy all day as long as there calorie deficit, but over time you will suffer from nutrient deficiency which can affect your entire body. There was a point in my life when I wasn't eating well (even though getting well above 2300 cals per day) and my hand would twitch and my eye would too, when I looked it up it was likely from Vitamin B deficiency, I could have caused myself permanent nerve damage if I had not changed my diet, as soon as I changed my diet the twitching went away. So I do think eating healthy and "clean" is important for your overall health especially when you are in a calorie deficit. But can you lose weight without doing so? Of course...but at what cost to your body? It is also important to get all the vitamins from natural sources, when you are in a calorie deficit you are more susceptible to colds and diseases, so it's important to get proper nutrition to protect your immune system.

Well of course you need to get proper nutrition. Has anyone suggested otherwise?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    It's calories in and calories out that matters. However I do believe eating balanced food will help you lose weight easier. For example for lunch if I ate a sandwich from next door I would be starving an hour later vs. eating whatever meal I planned (same amount of calories) that has lots of protein and fiber I can go the rest of the day without eating or starving (in fact I have to force myself to eat some protein in the evening so my body doesn't reserve to my muscles). Eating quality foods can keep you fuller but also healthier, you can lose weight eating just candy all day as long as there calorie deficit, but over time you will suffer from nutrient deficiency which can affect your entire body. There was a point in my life when I wasn't eating well (even though getting well above 2300 cals per day) and my hand would twitch and my eye would too, when I looked it up it was likely from Vitamin B deficiency, I could have caused myself permanent nerve damage if I had not changed my diet, as soon as I changed my diet the twitching went away. So I do think eating healthy and "clean" is important for your overall health especially when you are in a calorie deficit. But can you lose weight without doing so? Of course...but at what cost to your body? It is also important to get all the vitamins from natural sources, when you are in a calorie deficit you are more susceptible to colds and diseases, so it's important to get proper nutrition to protect your immune system.

If you'll actually read the article about the professor who lost weight by eating primarily Twinkies, in addition to losing weight, his cholesterol also improved. Another gentleman did something similar, eating McDonald's. Same thing - lost weight, blood work improved.

The McDonald's example is linked on page one of this thread. But I get the feeling no one is reading the links in this thread.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

If you'll actually read the article about the professor who lost weight by eating primarily Twinkies, in addition to losing weight, his cholesterol also improved. Another gentleman did something similar, eating McDonald's. Same thing - lost weight, blood work improved.

The McDonald's example is linked on page one of this thread. But I get the feeling no one is reading the links in this thread.

It doesn't fit their agenda
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

Well of course you need to get proper nutrition. Has anyone suggested otherwise?

Only the people arguing straw-men.
  • ginamcy
    ginamcy Posts: 74 Member
    ginamcy wrote: »
    I belive it does! Its not how many times you eat than what you eat a person that will eat once a day but fast food like french fies and hamburger and a person that will eat 3 times a day but will eat chicken breast without frying or broccoli tuna fish exc will most likely lose weight or be in better forming shape then the other person... or some people eat whatever they want without gaining any weight but having health problems

Agree or disagree???
    Eating whole eggs can have all sorts of benefits, including helping you lose weight.

Studies show that replacing a grain-based breakfast with eggs can help you eat fewer calories for the next 36 hours, and lose more weight and more body fat (4, 5).

If you can’t eat eggs for some reason, then that’s fine. Any source of quality protein for breakfast should do the trick.

3. Drink Coffee (Preferably Black)

Coffee has been unfairly demonized. Quality coffee is loaded with antioxidants, and can have numerous health benefits.

Studies show that the caffeine in coffee can boost metabolism by 3-11%, and increase fat burning by up to 10-29% (6, 7, 8).Drink Green Tea

Like coffee, green tea also has many benefits, one of them being weight loss.

Green tea contains small amounts of caffeine, but it is also loaded with powerful antioxidants called catechins, which are also believed to work synergistically with the caffeine to enhance fat burning (9, 10).

Although the evidence is mixed, there are many studies showing that green tea (either as a beverage or a green tea extract supplement) can help you lose weight (11, 12).5. Cook With Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is very healthy. It is high in special fats called medium chain triglycerides, which are metabolized differently than other fats.

These fats have been shown to boost metabolism by 120 calories per day, and also reduce your appetite so that you eat up to 256 fewer calories per day (13, 14).

Keep in mind that this is not about adding coconut oil on top of what you’re already eating, it is about replacing some of your current cooking fats with coconut oil.A fiber called glucomannan has been shown to cause weight loss in several studies.

This is a type of fiber that absorbs water and “sits” in your gut for a while, making you feel more full and helping you eat fewer calories (15).

Studies have shown that people who supplement with glucomannan lose a bit more weight than those who don’t (16).Cut Back on Added Sugar

Added sugar is the single worst ingredient in the modern diet, and most people are eating way too much of it.

Studies show that sugar (and high fructose corn syrup) consumption is strongly associated with the risk of obesity, as well as diseases like type 2 diabetes, heart disease and others (17, 18, 19).

If you want to lose weight, you should be cutting back on added sugars. Just make sure to read labels, because even so-called health foods can be loaded with sugar.8. Eat Less Refined Carbs

Refined carbohydrates are usually sugar, or grains that have been stripped of their fibrous, nutritious parts (includes white bread and pasta).

Studies show that refined carbs can spike blood sugar rapidly, leading to hunger, cravings and increased food intake a few hours later. Eating refined carbs is strongly linked to obesity (20, 21, 22).

If you’re going to eat carbs, make sure to eat them with their natural fiber.

9. Go on a Low Carb Diet

If you want to get all the benefits of carb restriction, then consider taking this all the way and going on a low carb diet.

Numerous studies show that such a diet (or “way of eating”) can help you lose 2-3 times as much weight as a standard low-fat diet, while improving your health at the same time (23, 24, 25).

10. Use Smaller Plates

Using smaller plates has been shown to help people automatically eat fewer calories in some studies. Weird trick, but it seems to work (26).

11. Exercise Portion Control or Count Calories

Portion control (eating less) or counting calories can be very useful, for obvious reasons (27).

There are also studies showing that keeping a food diary and writing down what you eat, or taking pictures of all your meals, can help you lose weight (28, 29).

Anything that increases your awareness of what you are eating is likely to be useful.

12. Keep Healthy Food Around in Case You Get Hungry

Keeping healthy food close by can help prevent you from eating something unhealthy if you become excessively hungry.

A few snacks that are easily portable and simple to prepare include whole fruits, a handful of nuts, baby carrots, yogurt and a hardboiled egg (or two).
  • diannethegeek
    I belive it does! Its not how many times you eat than what you eat a person that will eat once a day but fast food like french fies and hamburger and a person that will eat 3 times a day but will eat chicken breast without frying or broccoli tuna fish exc will most likely lose weight or be in better forming shape then the other person... or some people eat whatever they want without gaining any weight but having health problems

Agree or disagree???
    Eating whole eggs can have all sorts of benefits, including helping you lose weight.

Studies show that replacing a grain-based breakfast with eggs can help you eat fewer calories for the next 36 hours, and lose more weight and more body fat (4, 5).

If you can’t eat eggs for some reason, then that’s fine. Any source of quality protein for breakfast should do the trick.

Coffee has been unfairly demonized. Quality coffee is loaded with antioxidants, and can have numerous health benefits.

Studies show that the caffeine in coffee can boost metabolism by 3-11%, and increase fat burning by up to 10-29% (6, 7, 8).Drink Green Tea

Green tea contains small amounts of caffeine, but it is also loaded with powerful antioxidants called catechins, which are also believed to work synergistically with the caffeine to enhance fat burning (9, 10).

Although the evidence is mixed, there are many studies showing that green tea (either as a beverage or a green tea extract supplement) can help you lose weight (11, 12).5. Cook With Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is very healthy. It is high in special fats called medium chain triglycerides, which are metabolized differently than other fats.

These fats have been shown to boost metabolism by 120 calories per day, and also reduce your appetite so that you eat up to 256 fewer calories per day (13, 14).

Keep in mind that this is not about adding coconut oil on top of what you’re already eating, it is about replacing some of your current cooking fats with coconut oil.A fiber called glucomannan has been shown to cause weight loss in several studies.

This is a type of fiber that absorbs water and “sits” in your gut for a while, making you feel more full and helping you eat fewer calories (15).

Studies have shown that people who supplement with glucomannan lose a bit more weight than those who don’t (16).Cut Back on Added Sugar

Added sugar is the single worst ingredient in the modern diet, and most people are eating way too much of it.

Studies show that sugar (and high fructose corn syrup) consumption is strongly associated with the risk of obesity, as well as diseases like type 2 diabetes, heart disease and others (17, 18, 19).

If you want to lose weight, you should be cutting back on added sugars. Just make sure to read labels, because even so-called health foods can be loaded with sugar.8. Eat Less Refined Carbs

Refined carbohydrates are usually sugar, or grains that have been stripped of their fibrous, nutritious parts (includes white bread and pasta).

Studies show that refined carbs can spike blood sugar rapidly, leading to hunger, cravings and increased food intake a few hours later. Eating refined carbs is strongly linked to obesity (20, 21, 22).

9. Go on a Low Carb Diet

If you want to get all the benefits of carb restriction, then consider taking this all the way and going on a low carb diet.

Numerous studies show that such a diet (or “way of eating”) can help you lose 2-3 times as much weight as a standard low-fat diet, while improving your health at the same time (23, 24, 25).

10. Use Smaller Plates

Using smaller plates has been shown to help people automatically eat fewer calories in some studies. Weird trick, but it seems to work (26).

Portion control (eating less) or counting calories can be very useful, for obvious reasons (27).

There are also studies showing that keeping a food diary and writing down what you eat, or taking pictures of all your meals, can help you lose weight (28, 29).

Anything that increases your awareness of what you are eating is likely to be useful.

Keeping healthy food close by can help prevent you from eating something unhealthy if you become excessively hungry.

A few snacks that are easily portable and simple to prepare include whole fruits, a handful of nuts, baby carrots, yogurt and a hardboiled egg (or two).

It's not nice to steal from the internet since it strips the post of context: https://authoritynutrition.com/26-evidence-based-weight-loss-tips/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Agree or disagree???

9. Go on a Low Carb Diet

10. Use Smaller Plates

Wow. I do 3 of those. How in the world was I able to escape obesity for half a century!? The mind boggles.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Eat clean yall
    #byefelicia
    chazz-weaver-downsize-me.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Weight no, fat yes, if you want to be skinny fat, follow calories in and calories out only, if you want to lose fat, potentially have abs and a small waist, then I would eat foods with quality nutrition. When you say weight only it generally starts a firestorm on these boards when in actuality you want to lose weight and fat. You don't want to lose 20 or 30 pounds and still have 40 or 50 percent body fat.
    Disagree. Lots of dudes in the pen are pretty lean and have abs. And it ain't from quality nutrition.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This must be some kind of joke, do you think people in prison have access to five guys burgers, milkshakes and family size packs of Oreo cookies...no. Some of the responses are just amazing but this one took the cake. Only point I'm trying to make is that when people say they want to lose weight, they want the majority of that weight to come from fat. Only here in this forum will someone champion losing weight with a terrible diet of cookies and cakes and say " hey as long as you stay in your calorie window its OK " . People should learn how to eat quality, nutritious foods if they want to lose fat and have a healthy body composition. I'm not here to say who's wrong or right but if you think your body fat percentage will drop while eating majority cookies and twinkies inside your calorie window, then you go right ahead. But if you want to lose weight along with drop your body fat percentage, then healthy nutritious foods would be the way to go.

If they eat at a calorie deficit, they will lose weight. There's nothing magical about healthy, nutritious foods that will make people lose fat whereas eating cookies and Twinkies will make people lose muscle. A professor at Kansas State University actually did lose weight eating primarily Twinkies; not only did he lose fat, but his cholesterol levels improved: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/.

No one is advocating a Twinkie-based diet; if I am wrong about this, please post a link to prove it. What people are saying is that it is possible to eat cookies and Twinkies now and again and still lose weight.

But you don't address the body composition part of the bolded sentence.

I don't think quality food is necessary for good body composition, but the Twinkie diet is a poor example if healthy body composition is part of the discussion as opposed to just weight loss.

Not everyone can eat twinkies and lose weight just because your professor did this is poor diet

Did you read the article? Actually yes, everyone can eat Twinkies and lose weight, if they are in a calorie deficit. That is the point of the scientific experiment that professor was conducting. It was not a recommendation that others engage in a Twinkie only diet.

This is actually why I hate when people post that link because others don't understand the point and think that is something that people are recommending.

Dont believe everything you read ...!!! And losing weight from only eating twinkies maybe you will acomplish this goal but what are the consequences after... again losing weight fast is not the solution or the healthy way in that matter
    Bolded advice is solid. For myself, and perhaps more so for some others, I extend it to don't believe everything you think either.
    In case you still haven't read the Twinkie diet article - all of the professor's blood work health markers improved on the diet. Same happened to the McDonald's diet science teacher who lost weight.

If 500 people at the Twinkie diet do you think 500 people will have improved blood work, fat loss along with weight loss?

Blood work typically improves when people lose weight, so yeah. I would think many -- if not all -- of those people would have improved blood work as they lost weight.

Fat loss as well?

Yes, some of the weight lost would include fat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I think this may be a little bit about semantics and a little bit about magical thinking, and a lot about all-or-nothing.

No foods can be eaten in excess, as in above calorie goal, and still make you lose weight. Too many calories make you gain or maintain weight.
    But some foods or food combinations - and which ones those are, will be individual - are more satisfying than others, which in turn will make it easier to stick to said calorie goal, and if you stick to your calorie goal, you will lose weight.

Even though weight loss and gain is all about calories, noone promotes eating nothing but donuts and french fries. On the other hand, even though broccoli and chicken is nutritious, a diet of nothing but broccoli and chicken has potential for malnutrition, and some donuts and french fries in an overall healthy diet will not eradicate the nutrition of what you have already eaten. You don't get extra points for eating more nutrients than you need. Nor for suffering through food you don't like ;)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Weight no, fat yes, if you want to be skinny fat, follow calories in and calories out only, if you want to lose fat, potentially have abs and a small waist, then I would eat foods with quality nutrition. When you say weight only it generally starts a firestorm on these boards when in actuality you want to lose weight and fat. You don't want to lose 20 or 30 pounds and still have 40 or 50 percent body fat.
    Disagree. Lots of dudes in the pen are pretty lean and have abs. And it ain't from quality nutrition.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This must be some kind of joke, do you think people in prison have access to five guys burgers, milkshakes and family size packs of Oreo cookies...no. Some of the responses are just amazing but this one took the cake. Only point I'm trying to make is that when people say they want to lose weight, they want the majority of that weight to come from fat. Only here in this forum will someone champion losing weight with a terrible diet of cookies and cakes and say " hey as long as you stay in your calorie window its OK " . People should learn how to eat quality, nutritious foods if they want to lose fat and have a healthy body composition. I'm not here to say who's wrong or right but if you think your body fat percentage will drop while eating majority cookies and twinkies inside your calorie window, then you go right ahead. But if you want to lose weight along with drop your body fat percentage, then healthy nutritious foods would be the way to go.

If they eat at a calorie deficit, they will lose weight. There's nothing magical about healthy, nutritious foods that will make people lose fat whereas eating cookies and Twinkies will make people lose muscle. A professor at Kansas State University actually did lose weight eating primarily Twinkies; not only did he lose fat, but his cholesterol levels improved: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/.

No one is advocating a Twinkie-based diet; if I am wrong about this, please post a link to prove it. What people are saying is that it is possible to eat cookies and Twinkies now and again and still lose weight.

But you don't address the body composition part of the bolded sentence.

I don't think quality food is necessary for good body composition, but the Twinkie diet is a poor example if healthy body composition is part of the discussion as opposed to just weight loss.

Not everyone can eat twinkies and lose weight just because your professor did this is poor diet

Did you read the article? Actually yes, everyone can eat Twinkies and lose weight, if they are in a calorie deficit. That is the point of the scientific experiment that professor was conducting. It was not a recommendation that others engage in a Twinkie only diet.

This is actually why I hate when people post that link because others don't understand the point and think that is something that people are recommending.

Dont believe everything you read ...!!! And losing weight from only eating twinkies maybe you will acomplish this goal but what are the consequences after... again losing weight fast is not the solution or the healthy way in that matter
    Bolded advice is solid. For myself, and perhaps more so for some others, I extend it to don't believe everything you think either.
    In case you still haven't read the Twinkie diet article - all of the professor's blood work health markers improved on the diet. Same happened to the McDonald's diet science teacher who lost weight.

If 500 people at the Twinkie diet do you think 500 people will have improved blood work, fat loss along with weight loss?

No, and I'd be suspicious of any diet that showed 500 people having uniform results as having faked their data.
    If 500 people were forced to adhere to it outside their control though, I'd say they'd all lose fat, given time and a low enough calorie intake. The mechanisms for that are too uniform for there to be statistical oddities.
  • ginamcy
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Eat clean yall
    #byefelicia

McDonald's isn't food i it's poison
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    I sense the "t" word
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited March 2016
    I don't particularly like McDonald's so I don't eat it but there is no poison in their food.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Eat clean yall
    #byefelicia

Ridiculous.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Eat clean yall
    #byefelicia

So much show it caused that poor man to lose 8 pounds. His body had to work that hard to get rid of the poison. That's why so many are losing too much weight from McDonald's, like all the fitness gurus say, right?
  • ginamcy
    I don't particularly looking ke McDonald's so I don't eat it but there is no poison in their food.

When i eat i dont intend to be hungry after an hour later when you eat mcds you do its not a fulfilling meal
  • diannethegeek
    I don't particularly looking ke McDonald's so I don't eat it but there is no poison in their food.

When i eat i dont intend to be hungry after an hour later when you eat mcds you do its not a fulfilling meal

Poison has a specific definition. Leaving you hungry an hour later isn't part of it.
  • ginamcy
    Eat clean yall
    #byefelicia

So much show it caused that poor man to lose 8 pounds. His body had to work that hard to get rid of the poison. That's why so many are losing too much weight from McDonald's, like all the fitness gurus say, right?

You can believe whatever you want poor man lost 8 pounds probably from running to the bathroom so many times you cant get a shaped body like that from eating mcda that man must have worked at 24 hours a day just to look like that
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

Doesn't make it poison. There are tons of so called healthy foods that leave me hungry an hour later but I don't call them poison
This discussion has been closed.