Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does specific type of food help you lose weight

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    ginamcy wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I agree its not about losing weight more than maintaining a healthy diet of course

What do you mean?

Well most people who want to lose weight just stop eating or start eating less but the thing is once you start eating into your normal everyday routin you gain everything back

And diatrofi what we call it in greek sorry but i dont know how to say it... but you eat more healthy... than before cut down on the fried stuff and still see results.. lose weight stay stable be more healthy but still eat!!!

When people eat more healthfully as you say and avoid fried stuff and whatnot...they're cutting out calories. I could have the same volume of food with one plate (A) being grilled chicken breast, steamed broccoli, and roasted potatoes vs (B) fried chicken, deep fried okra, french fries...the former is simply going to be far less calorie dense and will provide more nutrition...and personally, that's what I'd opt for...but the point people are making is that if you consume less energy (calories) than you expend, you will lose weight regardless of whether you chose option A or B

But if you chose A you can eat as many times a day you want fitted to your calory scedhual if i eat 3x a day in my option B i dont think you have a high chance of losing weight easy

I think what you're trying to say is that eating generally more healthfully in general is going to make things easier because you are likely to consume fewer calories inherently...which I agree with...but those foods in particular don't make you lose weight...they don't cause you to lose weight in and of themselves...as in they don't have magical weight loss properties.

I eat what most people would consider a pretty "clean" diet and I have absolutely gained weight doing so...so it's not impossible to eat healthfully and gain weight either...there are plenty of calorie dense, nutritious foods...avocados come to mind.
  • ginamcy
    ginamcy Posts: 74 Member
    I agree its not about losing weight more than maintaining a healthy diet of course

What do you mean?

Well most people who want to lose weight just stop eating or start eating less but the thing is once you start eating into your normal everyday routin you gain everything back

And diatrofi what we call it in greek sorry but i dont know how to say it... but you eat more healthy... than before cut down on the fried stuff and still see results.. lose weight stay stable be more healthy but still eat!!!

When people eat more healthfully as you say and avoid fried stuff and whatnot...they're cutting out calories. I could have the same volume of food with one plate (A) being grilled chicken breast, steamed broccoli, and roasted potatoes vs (B) fried chicken, deep fried okra, french fries...the former is simply going to be far less calorie dense and will provide more nutrition...and personally, that's what I'd opt for...but the point people are making is that if you consume less energy (calories) than you expend, you will lose weight regardless of whether you chose option A or B

But if you chose A you can eat as many times a day you want fitted to your calory scedhual if i eat 3x a day in my option B i dont think you have a high chance of losing weight easy

I think what you're trying to say is that eating generally more healthfully in general is going to make things easier because you are likely to consume fewer calories inherently...which I agree with...but those foods in particular don't make you lose weight...they don't cause you to lose weight in and of themselves...as in they don't have magical weight loss properties.

I eat what most people would consider a pretty "clean" diet and I have absolutely gained weight doing so...so it's not impossible to eat healthfully and gain weight either...there are plenty of calorie dense, nutritious foods...avocados come to mind.

Omg avocados thats the first thing that popped in your head i mean ok eat healthy but i cant eat the things I dont like eating
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,430 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Disagree.

And if "bad" food really lead to demise, then penitentiary inmates are immune to death from eating low quality food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Please explain on low quality food wich is
    Low nutrition, fiber and fortified processed. Basically it's not great food.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    . . . eat chicken breast without frying . . .

I guarantee that eating raw chicken will cause a drastic and unpleasant weight loss!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

@ginamcy I made the mistake of trying to lose weight for forty years. When I stopped dieting and started eating for better health. As my health improved the weight started to drop from 250 to 200 and has maintained there for a year now and my health continues to improve at age 65 just 18 months after I stopped trying to lose weight.

It seems as if we have to become unhealthy for some reason(s) before we can become obese.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,430 Member
    Weight no, fat yes, if you want to be skinny fat, follow calories in and calories out only, if you want to lose fat, potentially have abs and a small waist, then I would eat foods with quality nutrition. When you say weight only it generally starts a firestorm on these boards when in actuality you want to lose weight and fat. You don't want to lose 20 or 30 pounds and still have 40 or 50 percent body fat.
    Disagree. Lots of dudes in the pen are pretty lean and have abs. And it ain't from quality nutrition.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

What do you mean?

Omg avocados thats the first thing that popped in your head i mean ok eat healthy but i cant eat the things I dont like eating

I live in New Mexico...avocados are a dietary staple here.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited March 2016
    I live in San Diego county, avocados are everywhere.

ETA: removed some bragging, sorry.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,030 Member
    I'm not sure I'm actually following your post, but if I'm responding to your post title only, no, a specific type of food does not help you lose weight. You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. Whether you eat 1,200 calories of salad or 1,200 calories of chocolate, if you are in a deficit you will lose weight. Is it always healthy? Probably not, but CICO is the only end game.

How will you burn more calories than you consume? I dont think that eating whatever you want and excercizing will do the trick or be enough

For a person to lose weight they must burn more than they eat. However, the vast majority of the calories a person burns are those to simply exist BMR. The rest is daily activity and exercise.
  • rileysowner
    stealthq wrote: »
    I belive it does! Its not how many times you eat than what you eat a person that will eat once a day but fast food like french fies and hamburger and a person that will eat 3 times a day but will eat chicken breast without frying or broccoli tuna fish exc will most likely lose weight or be in better forming shape then the other person... or some people eat whatever they want without gaining any weight but having health problems

Agree or disagree???

Is there some kind of common misconception that if you have health problems it must be because you overeat or eat the wrong things (or both)? There are so many other reasons to have health issues.[/quote

What you eat plays a big role
    When you go to the doctor and you have high colestrual or blood pressure he says the things to eat and not to eat

Actually my doctor said there is a far greater genetic component to high cholesterol than diet. Even high blood pressure is not always connected to high sodium consumption. I have high blood pressure and low sodium makes no difference, fat loss and being active makes a huge difference.
  • rileysowner
    senecarr wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'm actually following your post, but if I'm responding to your post title only, no, a specific type of food does not help you lose weight. You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. Whether you eat 1,200 calories of salad or 1,200 calories of chocolate, if you are in a deficit you will lose weight. Is it always healthy? Probably not, but CICO is the only end game.

How will you burn more calories than you consume? I dont think that eating whatever you want and excercizing will do the trick or be enough

The trick is you can eat whatever you want, but not necessarily as much and as often you'd want if you were eating with no care for the consequences. Instead, any person can generally fit an acceptable amount of at least any one food into their daily allotment and still meet a calorie goal for the day.

I think everyones metabilism is different if i were to eat once a day and all the junk i would weigh more than i do now wich is eating many times small portions work for me and no junk includes choc chips exc..

Not if you ate at a calorie deficit, and for that matter there is plenty of studies that all show meal frequency has no effect on metabolism or fat loss. How often you eat is personal preference.
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm down 57 lbs and I eat pretty much everything.

I could eat nothing but McDonalds and Pizza Hut and still lose weight as long as I'm eating at a deficit. The only reason I choose not to is because 1) healthy foods make me feel better, 2) they're *usually* less calorie dense which allows me to eat more, and 3) they have a higher nutritional value.

ETA: I followed a "clean eating diet" when I was 19 or so and barely lost anything because I was eating huge portions. Doesn't matter how healthy brown rice/oatmeal/chicken/cherries/etc are--if you're consuming humongous quantities of it you're just not going to lose weight.
  • rileysowner
    auddii wrote: »

What do you mean?

There is a reason that a very valid method of weight loss is to just eat at what you maintenance level would be at goal weight. You never have to "go back" to anything; you form a habit and stick with it. Eat all the foods you want to be able to incorporate into your diet for the rest of your life by finding portions that work within your calorie goals but still leave enough room for you to feel satiated and get you nutrition.

Problem solved.

This is my approach. After two months of it I am finding that eating that amount becomes more and more normal. I am guessing when I reach my goal weight I will have little issue continuing eating whatever I want. No, that doesn't mean all twinkies and McDonald's, but it does include the McDonald's, Ice Cream and other fun foods that keep me satisfied mentally.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    auddii wrote: »

What do you mean?

There is a reason that a very valid method of weight loss is to just eat at what you maintenance level would be at goal weight. You never have to "go back" to anything; you form a habit and stick with it. Eat all the foods you want to be able to incorporate into your diet for the rest of your life by finding portions that work within your calorie goals but still leave enough room for you to feel satiated and get you nutrition.

Problem solved.

This is my approach. After two months of it I am finding that eating that amount becomes more and more normal. I am guessing when I reach my goal weight I will have little issue continuing eating whatever I want. No, that doesn't mean all twinkies and McDonald's, but it does include the McDonald's, Ice Cream and other fun foods that keep me satisfied mentally.

So you're eating at your maintenance goal weight calories? How much are you losing every week/month?
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member

Also in California and yes. Definitely an all the time food. Mm.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    snikkins wrote: »

Fresno!! Cool!!
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    snikkins wrote: »

Fresno!! Cool!!

Woo! Getting warmer by the day though... :sweat:
  • gataman3000
    gataman3000 Posts: 55 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Weight no, fat yes, if you want to be skinny fat, follow calories in and calories out only, if you want to lose fat, potentially have abs and a small waist, then I would eat foods with quality nutrition. When you say weight only it generally starts a firestorm on these boards when in actuality you want to lose weight and fat. You don't want to lose 20 or 30 pounds and still have 40 or 50 percent body fat.
    Disagree. Lots of dudes in the pen are pretty lean and have abs. And it ain't from quality nutrition.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This must be some kind of joke, do you think people in prison have access to five guys burgers, milkshakes and family size packs of Oreo cookies...no. Some of the responses are just amazing but this one took the cake. Only point I'm trying to make is that when people say they want to lose weight, they want the majority of that weight to come from fat. Only here in this forum will someone champion losing weight with a terrible diet of cookies and cakes and say " hey as long as you stay in your calorie window its OK " . People should learn how to eat quality, nutritious foods if they want to lose fat and have a healthy body composition. I'm not here to say who's wrong or right but if you think your body fat percentage will drop while eating majority cookies and twinkies inside your calorie window, then you go right ahead. But if you want to lose weight along with drop your body fat percentage, then healthy nutritious foods would be the way to go.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Whether you eat 1,200 calories of salad or 1,200 calories of chocolate, if you are in a deficit you will lose weight. Is it always healthy? Probably not, but CICO is the only end game.

This is a really bad mentality. The obesity epidemic is not based off of issues of losing weight most people are because of eating addictions to these kinds of comfort foods chocolate,chips Macdonalds.
    Losing weight is not the issue, the issue is maintaining a healthy lifestyle for health.
    CICO is just basic mathematics, dietetics or nutrition education is very helpful in terms or reaching a healthy lifestyle. I am not saying CICO is false just merely pointing the OP to keep searching fir foods that will benefit her health and long term weight loss involving micronutrients that create a feeling of satiation and not merely saturation..

Well said.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member

What do you mean?

OP, you are exactly 100 percent right. Trying to control junk food consumption through calorie counting is, for many people, temporary and illusory, because once you start eating "normally" again, then you will gain all your weight back. And that is exactly what happens to people, all the time. They call it yo yo dieting. Healthier food can be eaten more freely without concern. With healthier food you can just eat and not have to worry about it so much. Don't worry about what any of these other people are saying, because you have it figured out perfectly.
This discussion has been closed.