Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Does specific type of food help you lose weight

2456710

Replies

  • ginamcyginamcy Posts: 74Member Member Posts: 74Member Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    ginamcy wrote: »
    I belive it does! Its not how many times you eat than what you eat a person that will eat once a day but fast food like french fies and hamburger and a person that will eat 3 times a day but will eat chicken breast without frying or broccoli tuna fish exc will most likely lose weight or be in better forming shape then the other person... or some people eat whatever they want without gaining any weight but having health problems

    Agree or disagree???

    Is there some kind of common misconception that if you have health problems it must be because you overeat or eat the wrong things (or both)? There are so many other reasons to have health issues.[/quote

    What you eat plays a big role
    When you go to the doctor and you have high colestrual or blood pressure he says the things to eat and not to eat
  • LBuehrle8LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044Member Member Posts: 4,044Member Member
    High cholesterol or high blood pressure could be because of genetics, not necessarily your diet.
  • Christine_72Christine_72 Posts: 16,074Member Member Posts: 16,074Member Member
    For me, macros are more important than the type of food per sei. I find it much easier to stay in a deficit if I keep my protein high, fats moderate and carbs on the lower side. You could also look at this as the types of foods too lol
  • ninerbuffninerbuff Posts: 42,616Member, Greeter Member Posts: 42,616Member, Greeter Member
    Disagree.

    And if "bad" food really lead to demise, then penitentiary inmates are immune to death from eating low quality food.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png
  • GaleHawkinsGaleHawkins Posts: 7,640Member Member Posts: 7,640Member Member
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    High cholesterol or high blood pressure could be because of genetics, not necessarily your diet.

    That is possible because 5% of cancer is because of genetics we are told. 95% not being genetically related means a bunch of things must cause cancer. Maybe it can be specific food type related. We know carbs can increase cancer risks where as fats do not.

    When I cut out sugars and all forms of gain in 2014 within two weeks carb cravings that I let control my eating just started to fade away. By day thirty the carb cravings had left and took most of my joint and muscle pain with it. Those factors reduced the CI of my CICO and I lost weight. Eating all I want now I have not regained any of the 50 pounds that I lost a year ago. This what happened in my case but some here tell me I am a special snowflake.
    edited March 2016
  • WinoGelatoWinoGelato Posts: 13,334Member Member Posts: 13,334Member Member
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    High cholesterol or high blood pressure could be because of genetics, not necessarily your diet.

    That is possible because 5% of cancer is because of genetics we are told. 95% not being genetically related means a bunch of things must cause cancer. Maybe it can be specific food type related. We know carbs can increase cancer risks where as fats do not.

    When I cut out sugars and all forms of gain in 2014 within two weeks carb cravings that I let control my eating just started to fade away. By day thirty the carb cravings had left and took most of my joint and muscle pain with it. Those factors reduced the CI of my CICO and I lost weight. Eating all I want now I have not regained any of the 50 pounds that I lost a year ago. This what happened in my case but some here tell me I am a special snowflake.

    To the bolded, saying "we know that..." with a fairly controversial and not widely accepted statement following it seems a little overzealous and misleading....
  • WinoGelatoWinoGelato Posts: 13,334Member Member Posts: 13,334Member Member
    ginamcy wrote: »
    I belive it does! Its not how many times you eat than what you eat a person that will eat once a day but fast food like french fies and hamburger and a person that will eat 3 times a day but will eat chicken breast without frying or broccoli tuna fish exc will most likely lose weight or be in better forming shape then the other person... or some people eat whatever they want without gaining any weight but having health problems

    Agree or disagree???

    OP as others have pointed out, what matters for weight loss is to be in a calorie deficit which can be done eating nothing but burgers and fries. However there are obviously nutritional differences in many of the foods you've listed which is why people advocate for eating a diet that focuses on nutrient dense foods like chicken and broccoli but doesn't exclude burgers and fries in moderation.



  • vivmom2014vivmom2014 Posts: 1,534Member Member Posts: 1,534Member Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    High cholesterol or high blood pressure could be because of genetics, not necessarily your diet.

    That is possible because 5% of cancer is because of genetics we are told. 95% not being genetically related means a bunch of things must cause cancer. Maybe it can be specific food type related. We know carbs can increase cancer risks where as fats do not.

    When I cut out sugars and all forms of gain in 2014 within two weeks carb cravings that I let control my eating just started to fade away. By day thirty the carb cravings had left and took most of my joint and muscle pain with it. Those factors reduced the CI of my CICO and I lost weight. Eating all I want now I have not regained any of the 50 pounds that I lost a year ago. This what happened in my case but some here tell me I am a special snowflake.

    To the bolded, saying "we know that..." with a fairly controversial and not widely accepted statement following it seems a little overzealous and misleading....

    +1

  • RGv2RGv2 Posts: 5,753Member Member Posts: 5,753Member Member
    Whether you eat 1,200 calories of salad or 1,200 calories of chocolate, if you are in a deficit you will lose weight. Is it always healthy? Probably not, but CICO is the only end game.

    This is a really bad mentality. The obesity epidemic is not based off of issues of losing weight most people are because of eating addictions to these kinds of comfort foods chocolate,chips Macdonalds.
    Losing weight is not the issue, the issue is maintaining a healthy lifestyle for health.
    CICO is just basic mathematics, dietetics or nutrition education is very helpful in terms or reaching a healthy lifestyle. I am not saying CICO is false just merely pointing the OP to keep searching fir foods that will benefit her health and long term weight loss involving micronutrients that create a feeling of satiation and not merely saturation..

    Eating Addictions to comfort foods?

    What about this posters mentality is bad?
    Is it always healthy? Probably not, but CICO is the only end game.

    Per the OP, they believe specific food makes a difference in whether you lose weight, pointing out it's the calories that actually do (for weight loss) isn't a bad mentality....it's the truth.
    edited March 2016
  • ginamcyginamcy Posts: 74Member Member Posts: 74Member Member
    I agree its not about losing weight more than maintaining a healthy diet of course
  • queenliz99queenliz99 Posts: 15,358Member Member Posts: 15,358Member Member
    ginamcy wrote: »
    I agree its not about losing weight more than maintaining a healthy diet of course

    What do you mean?
  • ginamcyginamcy Posts: 74Member Member Posts: 74Member Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    ginamcy wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'm actually following your post, but if I'm responding to your post title only, no, a specific type of food does not help you lose weight. You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. Whether you eat 1,200 calories of salad or 1,200 calories of chocolate, if you are in a deficit you will lose weight. Is it always healthy? Probably not, but CICO is the only end game.

    How will you burn more calories than you consume? I dont think that eating whatever you want and excercizing will do the trick or be enough

    The trick is you can eat whatever you want, but not necessarily as much and as often you'd want if you were eating with no care for the consequences. Instead, any person can generally fit an acceptable amount of at least any one food into their daily allotment and still meet a calorie goal for the day.

    I think everyones metabilism is different if i were to eat once a day and all the junk i would weigh more than i do now wich is eating many times small portions work for me and no junk includes choc chips exc..
  • kimny72kimny72 Posts: 14,281Member Member Posts: 14,281Member Member
    Again, we are dealing with the false idea of an all-or-nothing mentality.

    If you eat a diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, protein, fiber, and fat that provides the nutrients your body needs, there is nothing wrong with having a fast food lunch or a bag of chips with a soda every once and awhile.

    Health, fitness, and weight are not a product of what you do once, they are a product of your daily habits over time.

    Most of the studies that show increased risk of disease based on specific foods are based on consuming a large volume of that food every day. Yes, if all you ever ate was hamburgers and french fries, you would be unhealthy. But if all you ate was grilled chicken and broccoli every day, you would be unhealthy too.
    edited March 2016
  • ginamcyginamcy Posts: 74Member Member Posts: 74Member Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Disagree.

    And if "bad" food really lead to demise, then penitentiary inmates are immune to death from eating low quality food.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    Please explain on low quality food wich is
  • senecarrsenecarr Posts: 5,377Member Member Posts: 5,377Member Member
    ginamcy wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    ginamcy wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'm actually following your post, but if I'm responding to your post title only, no, a specific type of food does not help you lose weight. You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. Whether you eat 1,200 calories of salad or 1,200 calories of chocolate, if you are in a deficit you will lose weight. Is it always healthy? Probably not, but CICO is the only end game.

    How will you burn more calories than you consume? I dont think that eating whatever you want and excercizing will do the trick or be enough

    The trick is you can eat whatever you want, but not necessarily as much and as often you'd want if you were eating with no care for the consequences. Instead, any person can generally fit an acceptable amount of at least any one food into their daily allotment and still meet a calorie goal for the day.

    I think everyones metabilism is different if i were to eat once a day and all the junk i would weigh more than i do now wich is eating many times small portions work for me and no junk includes choc chips exc..

    Everyone's metabolism is a unique rate, but the ability of all life to surivive and consume other life relies on most of the chemical reactions involved being identical. Almost anyone can fit in a chocolate chip or other treat in moderation and still achieve a deficit.
    ~96% of people have a base metabolism within +/-300 calories of the human average or less. Most of the differences in human weight are far more a function of activity and calories.
  • ginamcyginamcy Posts: 74Member Member Posts: 74Member Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Again, we are dealing with the false idea of an all-or-nothing mentality.

    If you eat a diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, protein, fiber, and fat that provides the nutrients your body needs, there is nothing wrong with having a fast food lunch or a bag of chips with a soda every once and awhile.

    Health, fitness, and weight are not a product of what you do once, they are a product of your daily habits over time.

    Most of the studies that show increased risk of disease based on specific foods are based on consuming a large volume of that food every day. Yes, if all you ever ate was hamburgers and french fries, you would be unhealthy. But if all you ate was grilled chicken and broccoli every day, you would be unhealthy too.

    I dont think eating the same food everyday is good i cant do it everyone enjoys a hamburger and fries once in a while and for those who are sweet toothes and i definitely am which im trying to avoid... eating right now because i wont accomplish my goal... but i guess everyone has a different opinion relating to eating habbits its whatever works for you
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Posts: 37,037Member Member Posts: 37,037Member Member
    ginamcy wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'm actually following your post, but if I'm responding to your post title only, no, a specific type of food does not help you lose weight. You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. Whether you eat 1,200 calories of salad or 1,200 calories of chocolate, if you are in a deficit you will lose weight. Is it always healthy? Probably not, but CICO is the only end game.

    How will you burn more calories than you consume? I dont think that eating whatever you want and excercizing will do the trick or be enough

    Whatever you want doesn't mean as much as you want...

    I need around 2800 - 3000 calories per day to maintain...if I eat less than that, I will lose weight...I will be burning more calories than I consume and thus body fat will be utilized to make up for that energy deficiency...that's how it works.

    Personally, I eat very healthfully because I'm also a nutrition geek...but I also do eat junk...usually a little something every day, and I like beer and whatnot...you lose weight when you consume less energy than you expend....it's pretty basic and really has nothing to do with opinion...it's kind of science and stuff.
    edited March 2016
  • ginamcyginamcy Posts: 74Member Member Posts: 74Member Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    ginamcy wrote: »
    I agree its not about losing weight more than maintaining a healthy diet of course

    What do you mean?

    Well most people who want to lose weight just stop eating or start eating less but the thing is once you start eating into your normal everyday routin you gain everything back

    And diatrofi what we call it in greek sorry but i dont know how to say it... but you eat more healthy... than before cut down on the fried stuff and still see results.. lose weight stay stable be more healthy but still eat!!!
  • senecarrsenecarr Posts: 5,377Member Member Posts: 5,377Member Member
    ginamcy wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    ginamcy wrote: »
    I agree its not about losing weight more than maintaining a healthy diet of course

    What do you mean?

    Well most people who want to lose weight just stop eating or start eating less but the thing is once you start eating into your normal everyday routin you gain everything back

    And diatrofi what we call it in greek sorry but i dont know how to say it... but you eat more healthy... than before cut down on the fried stuff and still see results.. lose weight stay stable be more healthy but still eat!!!

    If the eating less you're doing becomes your routine, no, no you don't gain back. That's kind of how the whole thing works. cwolfman13 literally explained it above with his own numbers.
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Posts: 37,037Member Member Posts: 37,037Member Member
    ginamcy wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    ginamcy wrote: »
    I agree its not about losing weight more than maintaining a healthy diet of course

    What do you mean?

    Well most people who want to lose weight just stop eating or start eating less but the thing is once you start eating into your normal everyday routin you gain everything back

    And diatrofi what we call it in greek sorry but i dont know how to say it... but you eat more healthy... than before cut down on the fried stuff and still see results.. lose weight stay stable be more healthy but still eat!!!

    When people eat more healthfully as you say and avoid fried stuff and whatnot...they're cutting out calories. I could have the same volume of food with one plate (A) being grilled chicken breast, steamed broccoli, and roasted potatoes vs (B) fried chicken, deep fried okra, french fries...the former is simply going to be far less calorie dense and will provide more nutrition...and personally, that's what I'd opt for...but the point people are making is that if you consume less energy (calories) than you expend, you will lose weight regardless of whether you chose option A or B
Sign In or Register to comment.